IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th January 2022, 02:19 PM   #41
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
But that doesn't make sense. The article is about web3, not Ethereum itself.
It's about both. They are related. Maybe you need to read the article again or use Google to fill in some misconceptions you may have.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2022, 02:44 PM   #42
Wudang
BOFH

Unless I watch my fingers very carefully they type "ium" as a suffix. c.f Helium, sodium, etc. I know better, my fingers don't.
Old 10th January 2022, 07:17 AM   #43
plague311
Great minds think...

To all the people complaining about the environmental impact of crypto. Could you please tell me the form of money you use that is has no environmental impact? I'm super curious. I get that mining has an environmental impact. I get that it's bad. I get that people don't like it. I'm just curious what the other options are, as if the banking industry in place all of a sudden has no environmental impact. If you want to just complain about crypto, you ride that high horse into the sunset. Unless you're using something better, than just whining in a thread isn't making any change.

Cash? Credit? What is it that you personally use, and how does the currency you currently use compare with bitcoin? Also, as I've said repeatedly (and was just mentioned in the thread) Ethereum is going to Proof of Stake instead of Proof of Work. Which means no mining for it.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss

Last edited by plague311; 10th January 2022 at 07:18 AM.
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2022, 07:24 AM   #44
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Nobody has claimed none. And if future cryptocurrencies eliminate the environmental impact then no problem.

Manufacture of cash and credit cards is obviously a small part of the plastic/paper impact. Cash transactions usually just consume a few calories of human movement. Credit transactions are a few watt-seconds each.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2022, 07:26 AM   #45
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
To all the people complaining about the environmental impact of crypto. Could you please tell me the form of money you use that is has no environmental impact? I'm super curious. I get that mining has an environmental impact. I get that it's bad. I get that people don't like it. I'm just curious what the other options are, as if the banking industry in place all of a sudden has no environmental impact. If you want to just complain about crypto, you ride that high horse into the sunset. Unless you're using something better, than just whining in a thread isn't making any change.

Cash? Credit? What is it that you personally use, and how does the currency you currently use compare with bitcoin? Also, as I've said repeatedly (and was just mentioned in the thread) Ethereum is going to Proof of Stake instead of Proof of Work. Which means no mining for it.
Bitcoin mining uses the electricity of a small country and burns through electronic equipment that can't be recycled.
All to create an amount of money (for a given definition of money) that the Fed can literally create with a few keystrokes.

Sorry, but there is no comparison whatsoever between the environmental impact of crypto compared to fiat currency.

And,,.of course crypto is by design demanding more and more.

- Emo Philips

Last edited by The Great Zaganza; 10th January 2022 at 07:28 AM.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2022, 08:01 AM   #46
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Bitcoin mining uses the electricity of a small country and burns through electronic equipment that can't be recycled.
So exactly the same as any and every enterprise company, as far as hardware is concerned. If you want to hate Bitcoin, then hate bitcoin, but Bitcoin isn't "all crypto". In fact, most coins coming out now, if not all, are proof of stake rather than proof of work.

All to create an amount of money (for a given definition of money) that the Fed can literally create with a few keystrokes.
What does this mean? I have no idea what you're talking about. The feds creates it and then what? Who gets it?

Sorry, but there is no comparison whatsoever between the environmental impact of crypto compared to fiat currency.

And,,.of course crypto is by design demanding more and more.
Oh, well, I mean, I guess if you say there's no comparison then **** me. I guess there's just no comparison. Thank you.

Crypto isn't demanding more power. It's trending in the exact opposite direction by going to proof of stake. I've said this now in all of the available threads. I don't know why it's being ignored, or maybe people just don't understand the difference.

If all coins moved to proof of stake there would be no need for mining:

Quote:
PoS coins currently comprise four of the top 10 cryptos in terms of market cap, and ongoing open-source development continues to transform Ethereum into a PoS coin. When these factors are considered, along with the fact that many PoS coins are a good way to earn passive income, the future of crypto does seem to be much greener.
Source.

Crypto isn't going anywhere. It's here to stay, and that article lays it all out. People can hope, and dream, and wish that it would die but it's not going to at all. As such, the younger generation that are designing the newer coins are doing such with the carbon footprint in mind. Can we go back and change all of the mining that's been done, or change the way specifically bitcoin works? No, so just like with ******* everything ever, we move on to something better. We have electric cars, but we don't go back and burn classic roadsters just because they aren't efficient. Crypto is changing on its own.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss

Last edited by plague311; 10th January 2022 at 08:02 AM.
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2022, 08:06 AM   #47
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

So exactly the same as any and every enterprise company, as far as hardware is concerned.
Not even close. Do you have some emotional investment here? You seem to be ignoring facts and taking legitimate criticism of bitcoin personally.
Old 10th January 2022, 08:35 AM   #48
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Not even close. Do you have some emotional investment here? You seem to be ignoring facts and taking legitimate criticism of bitcoin personally.
No, burn the whole thing to the ground for all I care, it would absolutely work to my advantage. That means people would stop acting like it's the only coin that exists. I'm not a fan, I have no money invested in it, I don't care if bitcoin lives or dies.

Are you implying places like Amazon, or the banking industry do not use and discard massive, massive amounts of electronics, hardware components, servers, etc.? That's a fresh take.

My entire point, and I'm seriously beginning to wonder how it's being missed as I've said it explicitly, is that bitcoin isn't the only coin. Its methods for mining, and usage are not the same as other coins like Solana, or the other coins listed in that article.

You talk about me having an emotional investment here but I see it as the exact opposite. I get being passionate about the environment, I am all for methods to slow\stop climate change as well. Bitching about bitcoin isn't going to do that. Bitching about "crypto" as if all crypto uses the same methods, isn't going to do that. Supporting coins that are moving to a platform with a significantly smaller carbon imprint will, however. Complain about how it's a ponzi scheme, and all of us that even think about investing are terrible people who should rot in hell because we're singlehandedly destroying the Earth, and all that, but my point is it's not going anywhere. So we should support the change.

Last edited by plague311; 10th January 2022 at 08:37 AM.
Old 10th January 2022, 10:27 AM   #49
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Are you implying places like Amazon, or the banking industry do not use and discard massive, massive amounts of electronics, hardware components, servers, etc.? That's a fresh take.
No. Most people in the thread, including me, are talking about the environmental impact of the outrageous energy consumption.

My entire point, and I'm seriously beginning to wonder how it's being missed as I've said it explicitly, is that bitcoin isn't the only coin.
It's probably being missed because you aren't saying it explicitly or even implicitly. You only brought that in to this thread just today. And I don't see anyone complaining about the energy consumption of things that don't have problematic energy consumption.

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 10th January 2022 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10th January 2022, 10:33 AM   #50
Wudang
BOFH

No. Most people in the thread, and me in particular, are complaining about the environmental impact of the outrageous energy consumption.

It's probably being missed because aren't saying it explicitly or even implicitly. You only brought that in to this thread just today. And I don't see anyone complaining about the energy consumption of things that don't have problematic energy consumption.
Such as Etheri... Etheri......Ethereum from post #38 (I did it. I speld it gud).
Old 10th January 2022, 12:37 PM   #51
plague311
Great minds think...

It's probably being missed because you aren't saying it explicitly or even implicitly. You only brought that in to this thread just today. And I don't see anyone complaining about the energy consumption of things that don't have problematic energy consumption.
I mentioned that crypto was working on ways to minimize its impact on page 1, when the thread was originally created. I've explained in, at least 1 other thread, the fact that coins are going to PoS.

I seriously didn't think people needed it explained to them that bitcoin wasn't the only coin, especially since ethereum was also mentioned on page 1, but thank you for advising me of this. I will do everything in my power to...simplify my statements from here on out to adjust.

If it helps, in this case the pissing and moaning worked. Mozilla has paused accepting bitcoin donations.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet