IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit

Closed Thread
Old 18th October 2019, 07:31 AM   #1281
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I cannot access it, I'm being asked to log in.
That happened to me the first time I clicked the link, it opened gallifreybase.com (is Pixel42 a Whovian?) with a login box. Subsequently it worked OK opening
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-50095368.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 07:35 AM   #1282
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
That happened to me the first time I clicked the link, it opened gallifreybase.com (is Pixel42 a Whovian?)
Guilty as charged.

I cut & pasted from the wrong tab, the link is fixed now.
Old 18th October 2019, 07:45 AM   #1283
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Guilty as charged.

So the Dr. Who fans are discussing Brexit too. Can't any of them just tell us how it all worked out?

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 07:46 AM   #1284
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Guilty as charged.

You really shouldn't let people know how you log in at U.N.I.T. ...
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 07:47 AM   #1285
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Apparently it’s being suggested that Boris can sell his deal to the ERG by telling them that it can still lead to a no-deal exit at the end of next year.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...08993584c891b9

I wonder what he’s expected to tell everyone else...

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 06:51 PM   #1286
ceptimus
puzzler

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
On what basis do you claim that 52% of voters in the referendum voted for a hard Brexit?
The choice in the referendum was leave or remain. There was no mention of 'hard'.

The hard/soft thing is a remainer invention where the ultimate aim is to bamboozle the public into believing that remaining is what they really wanted.
ceptimus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 06:53 PM   #1287
ceptimus
puzzler

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
Remind us again what you "won."
The majority of the democratic vote in the referendum.
ceptimus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 07:02 PM   #1288
ceptimus
puzzler

Originally Posted by Francesca R View Post
NI will apply EU VAT rates not UK VAT rates. If they differ in the future. HMRC will collect the EU VAT from the Aberdeen seller if it goes to NI but the UK VAT if it goes to Bury.
NI and Irish VAT rates are different right now - and have been so for years.
Old 18th October 2019, 10:40 PM   #1289
Manger Douse
Muse

"it is vitally important the government holds up its election promise that the referendum would be upheld"

"What about the promises of the best deal ever from the EU, £350 million for the NHS etc etc"

"Oh sweet summer child, you shouldn't believe government promises"
Manger Douse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th October 2019, 01:13 AM   #1290
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

(is Pixel42 a Whovian?)
Her avatar is Barbara Wright, so it's a fair guess.
Old 19th October 2019, 01:14 AM   #1291
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ceptimus View Post
The choice in the referendum was leave or remain. There was no mention of 'hard'.
Exactly. So you shouldn't make the claim that 52% of voters voted for a hard Brexit, as you did.

Now can you answer the other question, which you have avoided twice now?
Old 19th October 2019, 02:09 AM   #1292
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Apparently after Brexit the deal means new industry will flock to NI because to benefit from EU rules.

You can't make it up!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th October 2019, 02:12 AM   #1293
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Apparently after Brexit the deal means new industry will flock to NI because to benefit from EU rules.

You can't make it up!
Sadly apparently they can make it up, with no consequences.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th October 2019, 06:32 AM   #1294
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post

You can't make it up!
Are you sure it wasn't to NNI (Not-Northern Ireland)?
Old 19th October 2019, 06:43 AM   #1295
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1185552930323292160

Quote:
Labour source: govt has lost on Letwin
For those who don't know: The Letwin amendment
Old 19th October 2019, 06:47 AM   #1296
Archie Gemmill Goal
Banned

Boris has lost another vote ... Letwin amendment passed.
Archie Gemmill Goal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th October 2019, 07:23 AM   #1297
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

There are some nice ditches round this way, but they're EU ditches. He might prefer a local one.
Old 19th October 2019, 07:26 AM   #1298
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/1185555805984165888

Quote:
OK so put aside any euphoria. That vote was one with 8 MPs. That means the DUP were vital to it. But it means something else too. There are probably more than eight Purged Tory pro-dealers, who backed the amendment. It suggests that the deal would pass.
Old 19th October 2019, 07:36 AM   #1299
wobs
Master Poster

Days since last catastrophe =0.
Old 19th October 2019, 07:41 AM   #1300
Francesca R
Girl

Thing is, the kerfuffle in the commons means that by the time Johnson writes this letter it will miss the last post and not go until Monday. With a 21st postmark stamp on it it contravenes the Benn law s he's off to jail
Francesca R is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th October 2019, 07:58 AM   #1301
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Thing is, the kerfuffle in the commons means that by the time Johnson writes this letter it will miss the last post and not go until Monday. With a 21st postmark stamp on it it contravenes the Benn law s he's off to jail
Hang on aren't the posties going on strike? It's the deep state trying to scupper the will of the people ( that matter)!
Old 19th October 2019, 08:00 AM   #1302
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

If only Boris had had a few more Tory MPs then this terrible problem wouldn't have arisen, now where would he had found a dozen or more Tory MPs.....

It's these independent MPs, bloody marxists the lot of them.
Old 19th October 2019, 08:15 AM   #1303
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ceptimus View Post
The majority of the democratic vote in the referendum.
Leaver circular "reasoning" at it's best.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th October 2019, 09:12 AM   #1304
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
There are some nice ditches round this way, but they're EU ditches. He might prefer a local one.
Oh, I dunno.
" ... some corner of a foreign field ditch that is forever England"?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th October 2019, 09:50 AM   #1305
Garrison
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Exactly. So you shouldn't make the claim that 52% of voters voted for a hard Brexit, as you did.
Well its more than simply didn't vote for it. Leave supporters denounced a hard Brexit/no deal as just part of 'Project Fear', just Remainer scaremongering about something that would never, ever, happen.
Old 19th October 2019, 10:14 AM   #1306
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Um...are you all sure about this? I mean it sort of seems like your hearts just aren't in this Brexit thing.
Old 19th October 2019, 10:22 AM   #1307
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

I still wonder how this can happen. The leave campaign and team had such a well organized and explained plan ready to implement the moment the referendum was done.
And they had a majority in parliament.
Plus a series of leaders that was willing to get right to it.
And they'd already worked out all the details with the EU.

But looking at it, it's almost as if there were impossible to deliver, mutually contradictory promises, made by people unwilling to actually take responsibility who then spent all the time going for personal power rather than actually delivering what they promised.
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th October 2019, 11:14 AM   #1308
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
Boris has lost another vote ... Letwin amendment passed.
And here's me thinking that Middlesbrough has had a ropey start to the season...

If he was a football manager, he'd be out on his ear.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th October 2019, 11:25 AM   #1309
Francesca R
Girl

The deal is more likely to pass now. Sir Oliver has actually helped let Johnson win
Francesca R is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th October 2019, 01:31 PM   #1310
p0lka
Master Poster

The deal is more likely to pass now. Sir Oliver has actually helped let Johnson win
How so?
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th October 2019, 01:56 PM   #1311
Garrison
Philosopher

But that isn't a win for Johnson, he still wants to engineer a no deal Brexit and this amendment thwarts him, that's why he didn't put his deal to a vote.
Old 19th October 2019, 02:11 PM   #1312
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

That happened to me the first time I clicked the link, it opened gallifreybase.com (is Pixel42 a Whovian?) with a login box. Subsequently it worked OK opening

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-50095368.
Sonic screwdriver fixed it?
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th October 2019, 02:12 PM   #1313
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Boris now has his place in history. PM who lost the most votes.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th October 2019, 02:17 PM   #1314
Archie Gemmill Goal
Banned

He has sent the letter but not signed it, included a covering letter from a lackey and sent ANOTHER letter saying he doesn't want an extension at all.

He seems to be doing his best to end up in jail, has one of his backers got a bet on that?
Archie Gemmill Goal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th October 2019, 02:20 PM   #1315
Francesca R
Girl

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
But that isn't a win for Johnson, he still wants to engineer a no deal Brexit and this amendment thwarts him, that's why he didn't put his deal to a vote.
No deal just got less likely. That's what the Letwin amendment was for.

Therefore more MPs are likely to vote for the deal than otherwise would have today.

(Not that it's going to be a landslide)
Old 19th October 2019, 02:20 PM   #1316
sphenisc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
He has sent the letter but not signed it, included a covering letter from a lackey and sent ANOTHER letter saying he doesn't want an extension at all.

He seems to be doing his best to end up in jail, has one of his backers got a bet on that?
Did he put a stamp on it?
Old 19th October 2019, 02:21 PM   #1317
Francesca R
Girl

Oh well I wasn't on another planet with my invisible ink idea
Old 19th October 2019, 02:27 PM   #1318
sphenisc
Philosopher

If I were 27 heads of EU States that's the kind of thing that would make me inclined to respond, "Sure UK, you take as long as you like... no rush."
Old 19th October 2019, 03:03 PM   #1319
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

I sent 4 letters!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th October 2019, 03:59 PM   #1320
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1185680494203150336

Quote:
how will EU deal with Number 10 letter? EU source: “They take the letter on its merits and ignore the others.“

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics