IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 18th February 2022, 02:58 PM   #1
eerok
Quixoticist

The monster must die

With any luck, this could be the end of an era. I'm afraid some other abomination will fill the void, though.

Facebook/Meta shares lost nearly half their value in six months (boingboing.net)

Quote:
Facebook's shares sunk 45% in value since the beginning of September. Then the company was worth more than a trillion dollars and the world's fifth largest. Now it's trading at a market cap of $565 billion and has slipped out the top ten. Bloomberg Business calls it a "collapse unmatched in the era of big tech."
Old 18th February 2022, 04:54 PM   #2
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Wake me when the other half is gone.

No Klingon would put up with the GOP's ********.

When you least expect it... EXPECT IT!
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2022, 02:35 PM   #3
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

What will replace Facebook and will it be any better? Can we make this forum, and others like it, attractive again?
Old 19th February 2022, 02:48 PM   #4
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
What will replace Facebook and will it be any better? Can we make this forum, and others like it, attractive again?
I'm hoping there's a cycle that allows big, powerful internet companies to die off and allow various, more modest alternatives to live off their corpses ... until one of them gets too big, and the cycle repeats. There's just too much wrong with a company as big as Facebook that is so pervasive and has so little accountability.

It's not that they're evil per se, though in some senses they may be ... it's that they provide an easily accessible platform for evil actors. For example, Russian bots on Facebook plausibly killed the 2016 election for Hillary, and got Trump elected. I don't think that speaks to what Facebook explicitly does, but to what they provide.

It's a problem IMO.
Old 19th February 2022, 04:30 PM   #5
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

You can blame it on the right wingers. They've all gone over to assbook.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2022, 08:00 PM   #6
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
I'm hoping there's a cycle that allows big, powerful internet companies to die off and allow various, more modest alternatives to live off their corpses ... until one of them gets too big, and the cycle repeats. There's just too much wrong with a company as big as Facebook that is so pervasive and has so little accountability.

It's not that they're evil per se, though in some senses they may be ... it's that they provide an easily accessible platform for evil actors. For example, Russian bots on Facebook plausibly killed the 2016 election for Hillary, and got Trump elected. I don't think that speaks to what Facebook explicitly does, but to what they provide.

It's a problem IMO.
Trouble is that social media is better the bigger the number of users. For example, if there were several different options, all running Facebook clones, then we would all need to belong to all of them so that we can find out what our friends are doing. This includes businesses of all types. If one became better and more people spent their energies on that one, some people would drop out of the ones that were not so good. Eventually, we would have only one Facebook left. Ditto to YouTube and Twitter.

One thing that would help is to ensure that companies can only control one social media outlet. This would need Google (Alphabet) should get rid of YouTube.

Edit. Interpret Businesses very broadly to include groups such as politicians, special interest groups of all sorts.

Last edited by rjh01; 19th February 2022 at 08:44 PM.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2022, 04:32 AM   #7
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Speak to kids today and they will tell you Facebook is for the adults like their parents. Sounds like some investors may have been listening to their grandkids.
Old 20th February 2022, 04:41 AM   #8
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Speak to kids today and they will tell you Facebook is for the adults like their parents. Sounds like some investors may have been listening to their grandkids.
I didn't start using Facebook until 5 years ago and my kids soon told me only parents were still using it. For them it's almost the social media equivalent of having a landline phone for your grandparents to call you.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2022, 03:33 PM   #9
8enotto
Master Poster

So I am ahead of the curve for never using big social media stuff? I am out before it crashes.

I watch ughtoob instead of TV. Like short attention span cable. But no Google account, never logged in to it or gave any information about me. Isn't going to happen.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2022, 10:17 PM   #10
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

There seem to be certain common features and expectations of a large social media tool. I'd love for it to become something like email, where people can access each other's posts in a platform-independent manner, with different companies, instead of supplying proprietary, exclusive social media spaces, would offer tools for accessing it, each with their own innovations and features.

Something to break that dilemma between it being useful to reach as many people as possible in a seamless manner, and not wanting a monopoly.

Don't know whether that's going to happen though.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2022, 11:58 PM   #11
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
So I am ahead of the curve for never using big social media stuff? I am out before it crashes.

I watch ughtoob instead of TV. Like short attention span cable. But no Google account, never logged in to it or gave any information about me. Isn't going to happen.
That's what you think muahahahaha!!!!! But really, unless you are nerdy and take many more precautions than that (which you may for all I know) they still know exactly who you are. A lot of people do. You give information every time you follow a link, type in a url, use a map, watch a video, watch another video, etc. They know all our dirty secrets.

Anyways, time for a beer. I used my card to buy the beer so that info will probably be sold to whoever wants to buy it. Mgidm86 buys beer every 4 nights, unless it's a 12 pack at the bigger store, then it's 7 days.

He drives 4 miles per trip in his minivan to do it, gasses up at the new cheapie gas station every 6 trips, then goes home and watches Youtube and then Amazon Prime. Oooh look he bought new underwear!

Useful info? I dunno but a gigantic turd-load of money is made off it.

I'm blabbing maybe because I smoked a bowl.

I also work for a dispensary as a graphic artist, so 65% chance I'm high by this time of night, if it's a time when I'm smoking weed. They know it is such a time because I am registered with the city as a pothead employee and I'm sure someone knows I bought some from our store a few days ago, which is rare.

What was the question?
Old 26th February 2022, 01:50 AM   #12
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
That's what you think muahahahaha!!!!! But really, unless you are nerdy and take many more precautions than that (which you may for all I know) they still know exactly who you are. A lot of people do. You give information every time you follow a link, type in a url, use a map, watch a video, watch another video, etc. They know all our dirty secrets.

Anyways, time for a beer. I used my card to buy the beer so that info will probably be sold to whoever wants to buy it. Mgidm86 buys beer every 4 nights, unless it's a 12 pack at the bigger store, then it's 7 days.

He drives 4 miles per trip in his minivan to do it, gasses up at the new cheapie gas station every 6 trips, then goes home and watches Youtube and then Amazon Prime. Oooh look he bought new underwear!

Useful info? I dunno but a gigantic turd-load of money is made off it.

I'm blabbing maybe because I smoked a bowl.

I also work for a dispensary as a graphic artist, so 65% chance I'm high by this time of night, if it's a time when I'm smoking weed. They know it is such a time because I am registered with the city as a pothead employee and I'm sure someone knows I bought some from our store a few days ago, which is rare.

What was the question?
You will now be given ads to buy beer and gas at other places. Then told about other download services. You sign up for any of this and someone gets a cut.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet