IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 28th April 2022, 08:52 AM   #1
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

Wish me luck :)

For the past two years I've had random crashes with my computer, probably related to my GFX card, but possibly the motherboard or memory.
I've not been able to pin it down nor fix, but the issue was minor enough (about 1 crash/day) that I stuck it out.

Finally had enough of it, but my drives are still ok.
So I bought a new motherboard, processor, memory, GFX card and powersupply.
Today the last bits arrived, so now I've got to put it together and switch my harddrives.

If all goes well windows should just detect the change and after some updates everything should still work fine.....

I'll update if things actually work.
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2022, 09:00 AM   #2
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Lukraak_Sisser View Post
For the past two years I've had random crashes with my computer, probably related to my GFX card, but possibly the motherboard or memory.
I've not been able to pin it down nor fix, but the issue was minor enough (about 1 crash/day) that I stuck it out.

Today the last bits arrived, so now I've got to put it together and switch my harddrives.

If all goes well windows should just detect the change and after some updates everything should still work fine.....

Rock on!

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2022, 09:12 AM   #3
DallasDad
Muse

I had to do exactly the same thing a couple of weeks ago. Went just fine.
DallasDad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2022, 11:54 AM   #4
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...

It should go fine. Alternatively, you could run sysprep on it before changing out hardware. That generalizes the image, removing things like specific drivers and such. Might make for a smoother transition,

Sent from my volcanic island lair using carrier pigeon.
Old 28th April 2022, 12:48 PM   #5
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

Hmm once I turn it on everything seems to work except the CPU fail light lights up on the motherboard.

That's a bad thing right??

I re inserted it. I think its in the right way. So off to a repairshop tomorrow as I cant check if the CPU was faulty when it arrived or not.

I resent I needed reading glasses way too often to find key letters
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2022, 04:38 PM   #6
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

That's not good. I'm sorry I only just read this and didn't wish you luck in time. That's my bad.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2022, 02:31 AM   #7
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps

Hmm once I turn it on everything seems to work except the CPU fail light lights up on the motherboard.

That's a bad thing right??

I re inserted it. I think its in the right way. So off to a repairshop tomorrow as I cant check if the CPU was faulty when it arrived or not.

I resent I needed reading glasses way too often to find key letters
What CPU did you have and which Motherboard?
AMD has tried to make their mobo chipsets as backwards compatible as possible, unfortunately that means that an older board may need a BIOS upgrade if you're using a newer processor. The manufacturers website should have the comparability details

Some boards have a specific USB socket that can run the update automatically, check your motherboard manual for details, many though rely on having an older generation processor installed to get to the UEFI BIOS
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2022, 03:07 AM   #8
qarnos
Cold-hearted skeptic

I believe this is in order:

Shameless plug for my website:
Digging Apollo - Excavating the digital archaeology of the Apollo program.
qarnos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2022, 05:07 AM   #9
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

Yeah.

So, the IT shop fixed it.

By turning it on and off again.

Me re-insering the CPU, all the memory etc and re-starting it 20 times was not good enough.

I should learn to do votive offerings to the machine god.
Old 29th April 2022, 05:36 AM   #10
malbui
Beauf

Yeah.

Me re-insering the CPU, all the memory etc and re-starting it 20 times was not good enough.

A couple of weeks ago I added two 8 gig sticks of memory to my FIL's old desktop PC which only had 4 gigs before. I've done this kind of thing a million times so I wasn't surprised that it kept giving me boot errors, even before getting to a point where the new memory configuration was recognised. After many many manipulations I went downstairs for coffee and Easter eggs, which did the trick. Went back up, reset the sticks one by one and all has been fine ever since.
Old 29th April 2022, 07:21 AM   #11
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps

I've always found that when I cut myself on the case somewhere it seems to go a lot smoother at the end
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2022, 07:35 AM   #12
plague311
Great minds think...

If you're not sacrificing some kind of small animal at the beginning of any and all upgrades then you're just not going to get it done smoothly. You must pay the blood toll.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2022, 09:00 AM   #13
welshdean
Michael McDonald 1967 - 2021

I just offer a little prayer to the 'god of the blue smoke'.
"In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion."
Carl Sagan 1934 - 1996 RIP
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2022, 10:46 AM   #14
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by welshdean View Post
I just offer a little prayer to the 'god of the blue smoke'.
The 'god of the blue smoke' demands that random components be periodically sacrificed to return the sacred blue smoke to him.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2022, 11:18 AM   #15
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

If it keeps happening when you get it back home, check your power supply/UPS wattage. Supposedly components these days use the listed power as a general max guideline, not a hard cap, and intel CPUs especially can peak at several multiples of their listed rating.
Beelzebuddy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2022, 01:40 PM   #16
Wudang
BOFH

Reminds me of the old jokes sound technical advice about SCSI chains
Quote:
"Getting a SCSI chain working is perfectly simple if you remember that there must be exactly three terminations: one on one end of the cable, one on the far end, and the goat, terminated over the SCSI chain with a silver-handled knife whilst burning *black* candles."
Old 3rd May 2022, 02:27 PM   #17
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
If it keeps happening when you get it back home, check your power supply/UPS wattage. Supposedly components these days use the listed power as a general max guideline, not a hard cap, and intel CPUs especially can peak at several multiples of their listed rating.
I still have nightmares* about Prescott processors.

* - I don't, but they were a pain in the arse.
Old 3rd May 2022, 02:41 PM   #18
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by malbui View Post
A couple of weeks ago I added two 8 gig sticks of memory to my FIL's old desktop PC which only had 4 gigs before. I've done this kind of thing a million times so I wasn't surprised that it kept giving me boot errors, even before getting to a point where the new memory configuration was recognised. After many many manipulations I went downstairs for coffee and Easter eggs, which did the trick. Went back up, reset the sticks one by one and all has been fine ever since.
I don't get improperly-seated RAM anymore because I just assume I get it wrong the first time, and triple-check it. It's also easy to fail to seat the GPU -- they're so bulky these days, it's hard to see what you're doing.

It's always fun when you power on and fail the first POST, but I've found this is what happens most of the time these days. It takes another try or maybe two for some reason. Just the tech showing who's boss.
Old 4th May 2022, 01:08 AM   #19
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

I tried to force the ram in the wrong way once and fried my new motherboard.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2022, 07:41 AM   #20
catsmate
No longer the 1

Yeah.

You didn't power-cycle it in the proper technical way.

Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
I've always found that when I cut myself on the case somewhere it seems to go a lot smoother at the end
True, in Ye Olde Days sharp edged metal flanges were provided in the case for this purpose.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2022, 07:42 AM   #21
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Reminds me of the old jokes sound technical advice about SCSI chains
Passive, Active or Forced Perfect termination?
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2022, 07:44 AM   #22
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
I tried to force the ram in the wrong way once and fried my new motherboard.
A little OT but years ago I saw a sales person set a new record for shortest time between getting new notebook and RTMing new notebook.
He attempted to insert his PS/2 mouse into the S-video DIM socket. Well they look the same....

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet