ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Future of Forum , ISF , new forum

Old 15th August 2014, 02:57 AM   #1681
banquetbear
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by RemieV View Post
About 95% of that isn't true. If you think the JREF doesn't know where its members are, you're out of your mind.

But honest to god, funding the forum with t-shirts and paperweights is insanity.

As someone just said in the chatroom, "That's like funding a conversation in a coffee shop".

Here's a comparison -

I'm working on promotions for a novel. At this point, I have generated an audience for the promotion of 150,000 people. The bulk of the work is being done by volunteers. Photographers, voice actors, filmmakers, artists, designers - those are all volunteers. Even so, about $2,000 has been sunk into advertising so far. But when I say "an audience of 150,000", I'm not even counting those people who will see the ads entirely by chance. 150,000 people will be ACTIVELY campaigned at.

The goal is to sell 2,000 copies. And the promotion is fun and interesting and involves puzzles and craziness and eerie crap that will happen in real life - and I'm STILL not sure if this campaign will succeed. To be safe, I'd like the number to be more like 400,000 people, and I'm still searching for ways to get to that number (though I'm swiftly running out of time).

You're talking about funding a 7k/yr forum within a closed system of 2,000 people. We do not have a high enough turnaround, or even a mission statement, that is going to draw in enough outsiders to offset that entire cost.

Now, I assume Zazzle is a lot like CafePress. I've had CafePress stores before. You get maybe $2 for each sale. Since what you're working off of it a closed system, it's better to just ask people for donations than to waste their money on a t-shirt you get a tiny percentage of profits from. If people are buying a shirt, they won't think it's necessary to donate direct. Instead of $20, you're getting $2.

If advertising whatever the t-shirt/paperweight concept is goes off-forum, great. You've expanded your audience. But then, again, you are looking at advertising costs - and you're also looking at having a campaign that is incredibly good.

This is my wheelhouse. This is what I'm good at. This is an unworkable concept.

Really and truly, it would be better to start reaching out to posters on an individual basis and asking them what they would be willing to donate and keeping a list up-to-date. Find the people who post a lot. Start with them.
...yeah this: I think your analysis is spot on. I can see why people would think its a great idea: but the numbers won't work.
banquetbear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2014, 03:07 AM   #1682
platonov
Master Poster

Just a thought

I know little about the issue of funding forums [ Remie seems to have a good understanding ] & Darat's point should not be ignored.

But if we are just kicking ideas around – how about this.

There was a chap called Josh something involved in the RDF forums.
He seemed to be quite the whizz at monetisation.
Perhaps be could be brought in ?
platonov is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2014, 03:26 AM   #1683
JihadJane
not a camel

Couldn't we pool all our personal data and sell that to somebody?
JihadJane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2014, 03:57 AM   #1684
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

For full transparency (have posted this in the past). I had my conference fees waived for the TAM I attended (3 or 4 can't remember which) in LA, I was also given a free ticket to TAM London.

Otherwise I've had no "compensation" for being a volunteer. Why would I need anything, the Russian hackers I sell members info to are very generous. Only this year they've not kneecapped me!

Last edited by Darat; 15th August 2014 at 03:59 AM.
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2014, 04:03 AM   #1685
The_Fire
Unimpressed Female

Does anyone know how many proposals the JREF have recieved or how long it will take them to make a choice?
"We? That better be you and that invisible aardwarck in your pocket you are talking about, because I KNOW you are not stupid enough to open a giant can of whoop ass by claiming you know what I think."
Stop Sylvia Browne
The_Fire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2014, 04:21 AM   #1686
jsfisher
ETcorngods survivor

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
For full transparency (have posted this in the past). I had my conference fees waived for the TAM I attended (3 or 4 can't remember which) in LA, I was also given a free ticket to TAM London.

Otherwise I've had no "compensation" for being a volunteer. Why would I need anything, the Russian hackers I sell members info to are very generous. Only this year they've not kneecapped me!

This is exactly the sort of non-salary perk I consider quite acceptable.

"He's the greatest mod that never was!" -- Monketey Ghost
jsfisher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2014, 04:32 AM   #1687
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Milky Way, Sol, Earth, Northern Hemisphere, USA, AZ, Scottsdale
Sell 'Indulgences.'

Remove that yellow card;
End that suspension;
What ban?
Old 15th August 2014, 06:09 AM   #1688
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

About 95% of that isn't true. If you think the JREF doesn't know where its members are, you're out of your mind.

But honest to god, funding the forum with t-shirts and paperweights is insanity.

As someone just said in the chatroom, "That's like funding a conversation in a coffee shop".

Here's a comparison -

I'm working on promotions for a novel. At this point, I have generated an audience for the promotion of 150,000 people. The bulk of the work is being done by volunteers. Photographers, voice actors, filmmakers, artists, designers - those are all volunteers. Even so, about $2,000 has been sunk into advertising so far. But when I say "an audience of 150,000", I'm not even counting those people who will see the ads entirely by chance. 150,000 people will be ACTIVELY campaigned at.

The goal is to sell 2,000 copies. And the promotion is fun and interesting and involves puzzles and craziness and eerie crap that will happen in real life - and I'm STILL not sure if this campaign will succeed. To be safe, I'd like the number to be more like 400,000 people, and I'm still searching for ways to get to that number (though I'm swiftly running out of time).

You're talking about funding a 7k/yr forum within a closed system of 2,000 people. We do not have a high enough turnaround, or even a mission statement, that is going to draw in enough outsiders to offset that entire cost.

Now, I assume Zazzle is a lot like CafePress. I've had CafePress stores before. You get maybe $2 for each sale. Since what you're working off of it a closed system, it's better to just ask people for donations than to waste their money on a t-shirt you get a tiny percentage of profits from. If people are buying a shirt, they won't think it's necessary to donate direct. Instead of $20, you're getting $2.

If advertising whatever the t-shirt/paperweight concept is goes off-forum, great. You've expanded your audience. But then, again, you are looking at advertising costs - and you're also looking at having a campaign that is incredibly good.

This is my wheelhouse. This is what I'm good at. This is an unworkable concept.

Really and truly, it would be better to start reaching out to posters on an individual basis and asking them what they would be willing to donate and keeping a list up-to-date. Find the people who post a lot. Start with them.
Remie,
We can discuss this when you address what I wrote, not what you wish that I wrote. Until then, then.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2014, 07:02 AM   #1689
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by The_Fire View Post
Does anyone know how many proposals the JREF have recieved or how long it will take them to make a choice?
I can confirm, with 100% confidence, I have no idea.
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2014, 07:37 AM   #1690
Reno
Inquisitor

I am still not unconvinced that the plug will be pulled if Randi or his minions become peed off enough with the barking dogs.

Having said that, I am in a bit of a bad mood this afternoon, even though it's Friday and I am going to Glasgow's Grand Ole Opry tonight.

"I am the danger." - Heisenberg
Reno is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2014, 08:27 AM   #1691
madurobob
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Reno View Post
Having said that, I am in a bit of a bad mood this afternoon, even though it's Friday and I am going to Glasgow's Grand Ole Opry tonight.
Do what now?

[looks it up]

Oh - Cimmaron! That should be a good show!
Old 15th August 2014, 08:54 AM   #1692
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

A pittance for all you've done.

As are my thanks, but you have them anyway.

Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2014, 09:19 AM   #1693
RemieV
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Remie,
We can discuss this when you address what I wrote, not what you wish that I wrote. Until then, then.
I added another post to clarify, because I realized it was unclear on my step from "just a drib" to "the entire forum". Did you see that one?

I can do a line-by-line instead.

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
One of our members posted up-thread about setting up a proper non-profit. A non-profit has accountability. This is what I'm hoping to see, but I believe the poster has had two half-hearted PMs on the topic. I actually went out of my way to contact a member ITRW who hasn't posted in a while, but who has experience with NGOs. I figured we could use some help from someone with experience.
I would like that too. However, it gets a little sticky with a forum because a forum doesn't have a location. If we have a board, the members have to meet in person a certain number of times per year, I believe, and the place they meet is the non-profit's legal location. Someone should probably verify that, though, because it's been a while since I was tipping TAPS with this kind of info.

Quote:
None of this has been addressed. I realize there are reasons for some of the cards being played "close to the vest", but some of us are not just tossing bricks at the plate glass windows; we actually care.
I don't think anyone knows what's going on yet except the JREF (if they've even decided, and they may not have.

Quote:
The JREF never "exploited" the opportunities available to them among the forum membership. Not for support of any of their efforts, not for financial gain (meaning "necessary funding", not "profits"). They also did their accounting, as you know, in a shoe box. They have no cross-relational information on how many Foundation supporters are Forumites. They have never accounted for the amount of money spent on events by Forumites. They simply don't know and don't really care because they decided long ago that the forums are a drag on "the mission" (which is so loosely defined and promoted at present as to be a puff of skeptical smoke).
Completely disagree with the bolded. Again, if you don't think the JREF knows where its members are, you are out of your mind.

Quote:
And I don't even mean this to solely be criticism of the JREF but explanation for why some of the people here are saying that the new org can be self-sustaining. For the kind of chump change Icerat mentioned? I'm broke but if we had commitment and papers to show that this is formulated as a 501(c) or whatever the proper terminology is.... I could raise the funding for the first year in about four hours of emailing. I'd be really surprised if Darat and Jeff couldn't do it in half the time.
Don't need anyone to do that. The first six months is already paid for.

Quote:
Amazon links can be pure money-makers, but dribs of money that help pay the bills. T-shirts and mugs and jewelry and paperweights? First, we have some talented artists. We need a logo and some ideas. And I'll bet they'd donate their copyright/ip. And it becomes another little dribble of income but a nice way to raise some awareness. I don't think of it as sustaining the forums, but just a trickle of resources (like Age of Empires refers to it). But I'd prefer to see fundraising and begging and a 501(c) set-up than commercial advertising, even to "visitors, but not members".
This is the portion my post referred to. I did write a second post explaining why I was taking "dribs" to "the whole forum", but the explanation for jumping from one to the other was probably unclear.

People tend to donate in one specific way. Like, they make a conscious choice about how to donate, and pick ONE option. So, this concept has two options for donating - flat handing over money "to fund a conversation in a coffee shop", or buying a t-shirt. Buying a t-shirt has benefit (if it's a cool shirt, you get a shirt). Flat donating has no benefit whatsoever. Buying a shirt gets the forum a tiny amount of money - let's say $2. Flat donating is pure profit. For a person who was willing to give up $20, you just convinced them to give you $2.

The achievable goal is to make flat donating more appealing rather than rely on t-shirt sales for even "dribs", because by doing that you're accidentally REPLACING real donations with t-shirt buys.

That's how I got to the other part. We can run on the steam of a few wealthy donors for maybe five years (optimism, here). If, however, the forum has a goal of some kind, we can make it run indefinitely.
RemieV is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2014, 09:54 AM   #1694
madurobob
Philosopher

The achievable goal is to make flat donating more appealing rather than rely on t-shirt sales for even "dribs", because by doing that you're accidentally REPLACING real donations with t-shirt buys.
I don't see these two as mutually exclusive, just tools to be used differently.

Long term funding of the forums ideally should be through automated serial donations. If it can be set up as a non-profit charitable org, then employer match kicks in, too. Make it easy, make it inexpensive, get many people signed up.

Ad hoc fundraising through t-shirt sales and other logo items, donated artwork, etc.. can be effectively used for targeted campaigns. This was done for TAM scholarships in the past, I believe.
Old 15th August 2014, 09:58 AM   #1695
RemieV
Philosopher

Originally Posted by madurobob View Post
I don't see these two as mutually exclusive, just tools to be used differently.

Long term funding of the forums ideally should be through automated serial donations. If it can be set up as a non-profit charitable org, then employer match kicks in, too. Make it easy, make it inexpensive, get many people signed up.

Ad hoc fundraising through t-shirt sales and other logo items, donated artwork, etc.. can be effectively used for targeted campaigns. This was done for TAM scholarships in the past, I believe.
TAM scholarships were funded with auctions. That's different from having a t-shirt store.
RemieV is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2014, 10:00 AM   #1696
jhunter1163
beer-swilling semiliterate

Location: Connecticut, or King Arthur's Court. Hard to tell sometimes.
It's my understanding that icerat has offered to host the forum indefinitely; however, I for one don't expect him to bear the full cost of such hosting indefinitely, and will certainly be one of those donating to support the forum when such donations are being accepted. Perhaps the forum will become like NPR, with an annual donation drive to cover the cost of hosting and hardware. Perhaps there'll be ads. Perhaps both. In any event, I think we can all agree that the essential thing is to continue the forum in whatever guise. The collected expertise of the community here is simply too valuable a resource to flush down the proverbial toilet.
jhunter1163 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2014, 10:03 AM   #1697
madurobob
Philosopher

TAM scholarships were funded with auctions. That's different from having a t-shirt store.
Not much different at all if you ID the T-Shirt store as specific to funding TAM scholarships or other short-term goals.
Old 15th August 2014, 10:04 AM   #1698
malicus
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Akhenaten View Post
A pittance for all you've done.

As are my thanks, but you have them anyway.
This.

I would be delighted to be able to chip and help buy each mod a nice book at xmas. There's nowt better than a nice book at xmas. Perhaps cake. With marzipan.
malicus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2014, 10:41 AM   #1699
temporalillusion
Technical Admin

Originally Posted by ehcks View Post
Will these be the extremely basic text ads that ad blockers tend to ignore, or will I continue to not see them for free?
For any forum or site that depends on either ads or member contributions to operate, one can only hope that enough members find enough value in the site to either live with the (presumably reasonable) ads or contribute money or in other ways in order to ensure the site continues.

A yearly premium membership works out to cents or fractions of a cent per hour of entertainment, pretty good value IMO.

But yes you can't stop people from blocking ads, people are going to do what they want.

There are other avenues as well, sponsorships are one. It's still a form of advertising but "Science and Technology Subforum - Sponsored by Edmund Scientifics" is better than random banner ads IMO. But that does require someone actively selling rather than just signing up for ads.
Old 15th August 2014, 12:07 PM   #1700
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by malicus View Post
....... With marzipan.
This^

Except, in the same way that the Maasai own all the cows in the world, I own all the marzipan in the world. So you'll have to ask me very nicely first before any mods get any marzipan. Mods prefer books, I promise. Or chocolate.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2014, 12:07 PM   #1701
RemieV
Philosopher

Not much different at all if you ID the T-Shirt store as specific to funding TAM scholarships or other short-term goals.
There is a massive difference. One is an auction of a rare item. One is a flat payment for something everyone can have.

Auctions are pure profit. T-shirt sales are maybe $2 out of $20.

This doesn't even touch the psychology of donating to a cause, either.
Old 15th August 2014, 12:46 PM   #1702
madurobob
Philosopher

There is a massive difference. One is an auction of a rare item. One is a flat payment for something everyone can have.

Auctions are pure profit. T-shirt sales are maybe $2 out of $20.

This doesn't even touch the psychology of donating to a cause, either.
They are both pure profit. The forums have no spend on either to net against the revenue. One just has a lower amount of revenue allocated to the forums.

But, thats just me being a pedantic CPA - I know what you mean.

Keep in mind we're not talking about ongoing funding of the forums, we're talking about other, targeted fund raisers. It shouldn't be difficult to keep the two separate.

If some members want to buy forum T-shirts, you are leaving money on the table by not offering T-shirts. I think you're fear of eroding sales of items that bring in more revenue to the forums is not entirely valid. Folks interested in just chipping in a little and getting a shirt or a mug aren't likely to be dithering between that and bidding on the custom made guitar or the zirconium encrusted tweezers imported from Montana, and they are not going to be confused between these targeted fund raising activities and donating to the ongoing running of the forums.

Of course, transparency in important. Make it clear how much of a member's purchase goes to support the forums for any item being offered. We're not dummies (mostly), we can be trusted with this decision. If the member only wants a T-shirt and the forum only gets $2 for that, then thats $2 the forums would not have received if it didn't have T-shirts available. But, if the member is more interested in bang-for-the-buck to the forums, perhaps they'll bid on some of the other items donated for auction.

Unless there are folks who are going to be donating simple, low price items like t-shirts and mugs that would be in direct price competition with t-shirts and mugs, its a good idea to consider offering t-shirts and mugs.
Old 15th August 2014, 03:34 PM   #1703
steenkh
Philosopher

According to the JREF there will be an official statement made after they have considered the proposals and chosen one. I'd rather they not simply rush something out half cooked.
I did not ask for the JREF to rush out something half cooked. They could just give a status: "the deadline for new proposals had been closed, and we have got x new proposals which we will consider during the next month, thanks for your patience". Is that so difficult?

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2014, 03:43 PM   #1704
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by steenkh View Post
I did not ask for the JREF to rush out something half cooked. They could just give a status: "the deadline for new proposals had been closed, and we have got x new proposals which we will consider during the next month, thanks for your patience". Is that so difficult?
It is when you don't care.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2014, 01:51 AM   #1705
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Originally Posted by icerat View Post
Current operating costs (server, licencing, firewall etc) is around $7000/yr. I'm fairly certain we can do a lot better than that and get better performance, but we can't be certain until something is up and running. Personally I'd also like consideration of some kind of compensation to admins/mods as some of them put an awful lot of time in to the site. That poses a risk of changing the character of the site however. Aforementioned t-shirts and coffee mugs might be an appropriate way.
Personally, I'd be opposed to this, for a number of reasons I'm not quite able to articulate at the moment.

I think your salaries should be doubled, at the very least.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2014, 07:49 AM   #1706
Olowkow
Philosopher

I wonder when the last time was that any administrator looked at the JREF website. Does D.J. have anyone to help with this kind of thing? It really has become a bit of a disaster to be frank.
  • About the foundation: meager uninspiring description of JREF, with no mention of the forums (no surprise I guess).
  • Our Team: Randi and D.J. Grothe--that's it! No mention of or credit given to anyone else nor any hint of volunteers?
  • Research fellows: 404 Not Found!
  • Press Center: Does not appear to have been updated recently.
  • Video Library: Invalid token, you are not authorized....
  • Educational Grant Recipients: Last entry, 2012.
  • Amazing Meetings: Last entry: Join us for The Amaz!ng Meeting 2012
  • Scholarships: Last entry: 2011-2012 Written by Ray Hall. He needs a spell checker.
I don't believe this website would inspire the casual browser to "Join JREF". It has that tired look of so many unenthusiastic sites asking for money. I've never seen D.J. or Randi request volunteers to help with the site, but I don't look at the main page very often.

Then there is this disturbing thread about such a simple request that just goes unanswered.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=281538
Olowkow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2014, 08:29 AM   #1707
LashL
Goddess of Legaltainment™

Originally Posted by Olowkow View Post
I wonder when the last time was that any administrator looked at the JREF website. Does D.J. have anyone to help with this kind of thing?

It's not difficult to find out:

Quote:
It's not news that the randi.org website is overdue for a makeover. The JREF is working on that as a high priority. I've just come on board as a Creative Consultant for the organization. ...

Loads of unique and exciting content from new contributors will be forthcoming. Bear with us while we build the new platform and expand content.
Link.
LashL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2014, 08:34 AM   #1708
Donn
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Olowkow View Post
I wonder when the last time was that any administrator looked at the JREF website. ..
Good point. It feels sadly like the JREF is drying up. That thread is pretty sad too.
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2014, 09:38 AM   #1709
Olowkow
Philosopher

Originally Posted by LashL View Post

Link.
Quote:
And now for something completely different Latest JREF News Written by Sharon Hill Monday, 28 July 2014 17:38
"High priority"? That all sounds like political fluff to me. I guess I should have asked when the site was last updated. In three weeks, Sharon Hill doesn't seem to have even noticed that she is not on "The Team".
Olowkow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2014, 10:12 AM   #1710
steenkh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by LashL View Post

Link.
Hm, Sharon is only mentioning the JREF Facebook and Twitter pages. Like many others these days, the JREF will probably concentrate on the 'social' networks and forget about their web page.

My own ISP tells us on their web page that everything is working fine, even when their Facebook page tells us that the network is down …

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2014, 10:48 AM   #1711
LashL
Goddess of Legaltainment™

Originally Posted by steenkh View Post
Hm, Sharon is only mentioning the JREF Facebook and Twitter pages. Like many others these days, the JREF will probably concentrate on the 'social' networks and forget about their web page.

That's not how I read it.

Quote:
It's not news that the randi.org website is overdue for a makeover. The JREF is working on that as a high priority. I've just come on board as a Creative Consultant for the organization. ...

Loads of unique and exciting content from new contributors will be forthcoming. Bear with us while we build the new platform and expand content.
Only after that does the article go on to mention Twitter etc. in a later paragraph.
LashL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2014, 11:00 AM   #1712
icerat
Philosopher

It's my understanding there's a completely new website under development, so I'm guessing they're not that concerned about updating the current (old) one.
Old 17th August 2014, 12:55 PM   #1713
idoubtit
Critical Thinker

Here's the official word:

After considering all the comments and proposals from forum members, JREF has decided to transfer operation of the forums to TribeTech AB, a Swedish company founded by forum member icerat which specialises in hosting and developing internet communities. Icerat, together with the current forum admins (Darat, Locknar, Lash_L, and Lisa_Simpson) have developed a transition plan which JREF believes protects the privacy and interests of all forum members, as well as the ongoing existence of the forum community. All of the current admins are supportive of the transition plan and will continue their roles at the forum’s new home.

The transition team will post a message outlining the procedure in the next few days.
idoubtit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2014, 12:59 PM   #1714
idoubtit
Critical Thinker

RE: the randi.org website.

The website is being redesigned. There will likely be a temporary design to fix the current problems with logins and comments and to make things easier to update.

Because of that, I am not working on updates to the old site.

Sharon
Creative Consultant, JREF
idoubtit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2014, 01:07 PM   #1715
Geek Goddess
Hot enough to melt 4" rebar

Coming back to the thread, and if may have missed this, but someone mentioned the Amazon affiliate as a source of revenue. I managed that you about 1-2 years for the JREF, and promoted it on Twitter, blogs, had Hal read an announcement about it at TAM, personally paid for 1,000 flyers that I distributed at the same TAM. I posted a sticky thread about it every couple months. The most the JREF every received in one month was under $200, IIRC, and usually it was under $100. People didn't use it, or thought they had to buy only the books displayed in the store, no matter how many time I explained how to access the page such that JREF would get some funds.

Jenny McCarthy - wacko
Geek Goddess is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2014, 01:26 PM   #1716
icerat
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Geek Goddess View Post
Coming back to the thread, and if may have missed this, but someone mentioned the Amazon affiliate as a source of revenue. I managed that you about 1-2 years for the JREF, and promoted it on Twitter, blogs, had Hal read an announcement about it at TAM, personally paid for 1,000 flyers that I distributed at the same TAM. I posted a sticky thread about it every couple months. The most the JREF every received in one month was under $200, IIRC, and usually it was under $100. People didn't use it, or thought they had to buy only the books displayed in the store, no matter how many time I explained how to access the page such that JREF would get some funds.
You should have asked Brian Dunning for some advice
Old 17th August 2014, 01:32 PM   #1717
Carnivore
Salad Dodger

Originally Posted by idoubtit View Post

After considering all the comments and proposals from forum members, JREF has decided to transfer operation of the forums to TribeTech AB, a Swedish company founded by forum member icerat which specialises in hosting and developing internet communities. Icerat, together with the current forum admins (Darat, Locknar, Lash_L, and Lisa_Simpson) have developed a transition plan which JREF believes protects the privacy and interests of all forum members, as well as the ongoing existence of the forum community. All of the current admins are supportive of the transition plan and will continue their roles at the forum’s new home.

The transition team will post a message outlining the procedure in the next few days.
Thanks for the update. Now that the decision has been offically made hopefully things can move ahead more transparently (and with less vitriol ). As soon as the Admins and Icerat weigh in with the official Transition Plan we will be able to see the full extent of Icerat's dastardly ambitions and rebel properly against our new evil overlords.

Seriously, thanks to everyone who has been working to see that there is a transition plan for the forum. This has been a situation that has been dropped without warning in everyone's lap, under less than ideal circumstances. Those involved have had to deal with the situation as it existed and there was never going to be a perfect solution.

I for one am now slightly more confident that the solution we actually get will be one I can live with.

Last edited by Carnivore; 17th August 2014 at 01:34 PM. Reason: spelling
Carnivore is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2014, 01:54 PM   #1718
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Well, yeah, but what happens when icerat gets banned for insisting that we all sign up to Amway or get banned ourselves?

(sorry, just been reading the emoticons thread)
Old 17th August 2014, 01:59 PM   #1719
jsfisher
ETcorngods survivor

Does this then mean the Darat, Locknar, and LashL have had their administrative roles restored?

Will there be a follow-on joint announcement as promised by JREF and icerat providing more details?

"He's the greatest mod that never was!" -- Monketey Ghost
jsfisher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2014, 02:00 PM   #1720
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Still relies on the fallacy that one's posting history on current events determines suitability to run the forums. Kind of like judging my ability to properly adjust the valves on your Ducati based on my position on Roe v, Wade.
What if I don't own a Ducati?

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF