ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Breonna Taylor , police incidents , police misconduct charges , shooting incidents

Reply
Old 25th September 2020, 05:14 AM   #241
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 6,452
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Seems to me that the only reason for dark-of-night warrants with rams is to give cops overtime and hazzard pay.
If they wanted to search the place, they could have done it during the day.
That's the obvious conclusion. If you take the position that the cops opening fire was lawful, then the system that lead to such a pointless killing is at fault.

We have a raid that resulted in a dead unarmed woman and a cop shot and the legal conclusion is that nobody, not cops or the guy that shot at them, committed a crime. 1 dead and 1 wounded and the only indictment is incidental because some cop went rambo and sprayed the whole building with gunfire like a moron.

What's maddening is that this horrible screwup has been decided as a natural consequence of the policies in place, but nothing is being done to change the policies to prevent such a disaster.

12 million paid out for a wrongful death and the city has no interest in preventing it from happening again.

Breonna Taylor wasn't some cocaine cowboy that never set foot outside of her fortified crack house. These people easily could have been apprehended during daylight hours to execute a search warrant.
If surprise is absolutely necessary, just snag her while checking the mail or at the grocery store, not by kicking in the door in the wee hours

A raid never should have been approved. The police culture and war on drugs have totally lost all sense of proportionality, and the deaths will continue until that is changed.
__________________
Gobble gobble

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 25th September 2020 at 05:20 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 05:26 AM   #242
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing
 
Roboramma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 14,056
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post

A raid never should have been approved. The police culture and war on drugs have totally lost all sense of proportionality, and the deaths will continue until that is changed.
This.
__________________
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 05:41 AM   #243
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 13,201
Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
Crimes which would actually show up in the statistics.
but as you said, drug use is self-reported, i.e. it is not being investigated by cops very much. If it was, all the crime surrounding drug use would show up.
But where there is no cop there is no crime ...
__________________
Prediction
https://xkcd.com/2370/
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 06:30 AM   #244
Olmstead
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 254
Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
Sure, I think that's an important factor. But there are some crimes that aren't just going undiscovered, murder for instance. It's still true that those crimes happen more often in underprivileged neighborhoods.

There are socioeconomic drivers for that I think we should be doing something about.
I don't think that's really relevant. No knock warrants aren't employed to investigate murder. Usually, it's about drugs. Rich people use illegal drugs. Rich kids use illegal drugs. The response should be proportionate*.

It's the whole rich people go to rehab, poor people go to prison thing.


* Of course, personally I'd like them to just tone down the war on drugs across the board.
Olmstead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 06:55 AM   #245
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher
 
Delphic Oracle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 5,000
Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Ah yes, the perfectly unfalsifiable belief. Every piece of information - no matter how contradictory or nonsensical - fits conveniently into your predetermined narrative.
Yeah, the DA that just got an indictment for shooting at drywall, but not Breonna, that DA is scared of protests.

Uh-huh. I have recently acquired rights to a bridge if you are interested, contact this Nigerian Prince i know...

And I'm pretty sure he's intentionally dropping the word "lynch" over and over on purpose.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 25th September 2020 at 06:57 AM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 07:03 AM   #246
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning
 
Skeptic Tank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,901
Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
Actually, under your imaginary scenario where Breowna was hiding under a comforter, quaking in fear, and the officers kicked in the door and ordered her to remove the comforter and raise both hands in the air so the officers could be assured that she was unarmed and that there were no weapons within reaching distance and she did not immediately comply, the officers would have been negligent to not empty their magazine into her, reload, and continue shooting if she was still twitching.

I usually agree with you, Mr. Tank, but sometimes your empathy, open-mindedness, compassion, and concern for the underdog clouds your thinking.

Considering the facts of what actually happened, as soon as Briiowynnna's booty call pointed a gun at a police officer and pulled the trigger, nobody in the apartment had any reasonable expectation of leaving that apartment alive. The tragedy here, and the reason that Louisville should be burned to the ground is that Kenneth Walker is not dead.
This was quite funny and had me laughing out loud for real.

Btw, I didn't spell her name incorrectly as some sort of dig or on purpose, I lapsed back into the spelling of the name I am more familiar with.
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 07:29 AM   #247
Shadowdweller
Muse
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 995
One of Kenneth Walker's attorneys has been making the following claims:
* The witness that corroborates the police having announced themselves before entry originally claimed the opposite during initial interviews. And it was not until months afterward that said individual changed their narrative.

* Ballistic evidence at the Kentucky state police lab was also inconclusive as to whether Walker shot Sgt. Mattingly. This was presumed by the prosecutor to be Walker given that the bullet was of different caliber than the police firearms. However, if we're going to hold that lab as sufficiently authoritative so as to produce reasonable doubt in the matter of who shot Taylor...

--------

One of the enduring questions I have about the shooting is the matter of -who- collected evidence. While a different jurisdiction - the Kentucky State Police - handled the actual investigation, I remain concerned that much of the physical evidence and narrative framing of the event was performed by the officers or the LMPD themselves; people who had either a vested personal stake in the outcome or a working relationship with those who did.

Last edited by Shadowdweller; 25th September 2020 at 07:34 AM.
Shadowdweller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 07:38 AM   #248
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: US of A
Posts: 11,765
Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
Yes, there is a reason Walker is not being charged. It's because the person who recommended charges would be lynched by the same insane people who are rioting and have shot two innocent police officers because the correct legal decision has been made exonerating the two police officers of criminal charges in the death of Taylor.
Paying out 12 million was a hope to stop the rioting and civil unrest. It didn't work.
Gee, you think maybe Walker wasn't charged because he was found to be using a legally possessed firearm in the lawful defense of his home against a midnight invasion? If he was charged, imagine the access he'd have to police and witness records and testimony. Imagine his lawyers deposing everybody associated with this murder, from the police chief and judge on down, and cross-examining them on the stand. I hope they do charge him.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 07:43 AM   #249
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: US of A
Posts: 11,765
Originally Posted by Leftus View Post
The DA couldn't get it past a grand jury, which is a low bar.
He could have if he wanted to. The cliche is that a DA can get a grand jury to indict a ham sandwich. If he told the grand jury "I have to present this to you, but there are no grounds to prosecute," they'd act accordingly. Let's see the transcript of the grand jury proceeding.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 07:48 AM   #250
I Am The Scum
Illuminator
 
I Am The Scum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,535
Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
Yes, there is a reason Walker is not being charged. It's because the person who recommended charges would be lynched by the same insane people who are rioting and have shot two innocent police officers because the correct legal decision has been made exonerating the two police officers of criminal charges in the death of Taylor.
Paying out 12 million was a hope to stop the rioting and civil unrest. It didn't work.
Please stop making stuff up.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 07:57 AM   #251
shuttlt
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,003
Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
If the police believe there could be innocent people who might get hit then yes, I don't believe they should be discharging their weapons. Yes I do believe the police should have a high bar to reach before opening fire. They are police officers, they are there to protect the public.
I think there is a tension here. The more you increase the circumstances in which it isn't permissible to use lethal force, the more police are going to have to take the decision at an earlier stage based on more limited information.

I know people on the forum have complained about cops shooting armed, or potentially armed mentally ill people. Under your proposal the police would have a choice. Either they shoot the mentally ill person at a relatively early stage (the forum generally thinks that is bad), while there is still no possibility (is that ever really a thing?) of any stray bullets hitting anybody, or wait to see if anything bad develops and then allow it to play out since at that point it's a chaotic situation and one can't be 100% sure only to hit the bad guy.

There may be benefits to your proposal, but I think there are definitely downsides as well.
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 08:27 AM   #252
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: US of A
Posts: 11,765
Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
.....
I know people on the forum have complained about cops shooting armed, or potentially armed mentally ill people.
.....
Let's just note that there is an enormous gulf between "armed" and "potentially armed." Some of the most notorious police killings have been the result of cops presuming that somebody might be armed when he wasn't. I think fair-minded people recognize that cops have a right to defend themselves. But only against an immediate, imminent, certain deadly threat, not against somebody reaching into a pocket or opening a glove compartment. If that means the cop has to wait a beat to see what comes out of the pocket or the glove compartment, that's a risk he's paid to take.

In this case the cops might have had a right to defend themselves against somebody shooting at them. But they still had an obligation to identify their target.

Last edited by Bob001; 25th September 2020 at 09:40 AM. Reason: fix typo
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 08:35 AM   #253
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.
 
johnny karate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 13,580
Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
I think he's saying that rich people don't live in areas with a lot of crime, so we should expect less police activity near rich people, not because they're rich, but because there is less crime where they live.

Seems reasonable.
The point of the original question was to highlight social and racial inequity in the criminal justice system.

So no, not it’s reasonable to respond with something inanely beside the point.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 09:06 AM   #254
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing
 
Brainster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 18,010
Whole bunch of details showing Breonna's involvement in the drug trade here.

Quote:
Glover made a call from jail about 12 hours after he was arrested March 13 at 2424 Elliott Ave. — the same day Taylor was shot and killed by police executing a search warrant at her apartment signed by Jefferson Circuit Judge Mary Shaw.

In that recorded March 13 call, Glover, 30, told a girlfriend that Taylor was holding $8,000 for him and that she had been “handling all my money.” No money was found at her residence during the police search.
By the way, if you've heard that the cops went to the wrong house, you've been lied to. The search warrant was for Breonna's address and mentioned her name specifically.
__________________
My new blog: Recent Reads.
1960s Comic Book Nostalgia
Visit the Screw Loose Change blog.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 09:29 AM   #255
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges
 
Butter!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Deep Storage
Posts: 6,850
deleted
__________________
Ha ha ha, what a story


(It's me, isissxn)

Last edited by Butter!; 25th September 2020 at 09:31 AM.
Butter! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 09:40 AM   #256
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.
 
johnny karate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 13,580
Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Whole bunch of details showing Breonna's involvement in the drug trade here.
So the additional details are that a criminal made a claim for which no evidence was found to corroborate?

Wow, great scoop.

Quote:
By the way, if you've heard that the cops went to the wrong house, you've been lied to. The search warrant was for Breonna's address and mentioned her name specifically.
By the way, if you heard that Breonna Taylor was getting “drug packages” mailed to her house, you’ve been lied to. And the people lying to you are the police.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 09:41 AM   #257
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 27,934
Will the racist get another tune then "Well they were a no-good dirty thug who got what was coming to them."

Newsflash the police murdering people where guilty of some crime at some point in the past is still murder.
__________________
- I don't know how to convince you that facts exist
- I don't know how to convince you that you should care about other people
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 09:48 AM   #258
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.
 
johnny karate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 13,580
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Will the racist get another tune then "Well they were a no-good dirty thug who got what was coming to them."

Newsflash the police murdering people where guilty of some crime at some point in the past is still murder.
And there’s also the fact that we keep getting presented all this ironclad evidence that Breonna Taylor was deeply involved in the drug trade, and yet the police still had to make **** up to get a search warrant for her home.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 09:49 AM   #259
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 27,934
Which is why I always spend these discussion not letting the "And therefore the black person deserved to be murdered" just being this unsaid subtext and making sure the racists have to say it directly.
__________________
- I don't know how to convince you that facts exist
- I don't know how to convince you that you should care about other people
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 09:54 AM   #260
Disbelief
Master Poster
 
Disbelief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,776
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Which is why I always spend these discussion not letting the "And therefore the black person deserved to be murdered" just being this unsaid subtext and making sure the racists have to say it directly.
Don't forget that previous crimes which a victim might already have served time for, is also a justified reason for them to be executed by police.
__________________
Zensmack (LastChild, Laughing Assassin, RazetheFlag, Wastrel, TruthbyDecree) - Working his way up the sock puppet chain, trying to overtake P'Doh. Or, are they the same?

Quote me where I said conspiracists use evidence. - mchapman
Disbelief is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 10:03 AM   #261
Sherkeu
Graduate Poster
 
Sherkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Disneyland
Posts: 1,806
Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
So the additional details are that a criminal made a claim for which no evidence was found to corroborate?

Wow, great scoop.



By the way, if you heard that Breonna Taylor was getting “drug packages” mailed to her house, you’ve been lied to. And the people lying to you are the police.
They do have photos of that old boyfriend getting packages at her home. He stopped there many times, usually just a short visit, like some of the other places. Postal inspector corroborated. This signifies drug or money drops usually.
Brionna herself said she was worried when he came over that she was in danger. It made her anxious because his 'movements were messy'.
These men USED these women to hide their illegal activities.

Did you read the report and see the photos? they had some stake out photos and also some from 'pole cameras'
Go read about it. It is out there.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 10:12 AM   #262
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing
 
Minoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 11,651
Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Whole bunch of details showing Breonna's involvement in the drug trade here.



By the way, if you've heard that the cops went to the wrong house, you've been lied to. The search warrant was for Breonna's address and mentioned her name specifically.
Done up posthumously in a grand effort to justify an obviously botched raid. A mishmash of talking points, some misleading, others hyped up to make her look bad. Based on a few underwhelming and largely tangential connections that do show she was involved with Grover but not a whole lot else. The one about the body in the car rented by Breonna is being thrown around for the innuendo value, but pretty clearly she was not involved with the death. I haven't seen anyone claim on this thread that cops were at the wrong house. At least one poster thought she was asleep in bed but that's not true.

Grover himself was considered such a badass he was released on $1,000 bond when arrested the same night as Breonna.

I don't blame LMPD for compiling that list. It was an effort at damage control - obviously not very effective. What bothers me is the way it's being used against her on certain corners of the Internet. I absolutely do not believe that citing that list makes you a white supremacists. But white supremacists are using it just to throw out bits of snark amid some rather darker insinuations. A poster on this thread sadistically "jokes" about his snuff fantasy of police pumping her body full of bullets, then reloading if she's still twitching.

So yeah, it's a list. She had a BF who was a petty criminal. She did some favors for him she probably shouldn't have. Nothing in it changes the fact that this raid was handled badly. She was not doing anything wrong when she was pumped full of bullets in sustained fire. Cops after the fact compiled a list to imply she was up to her eyeballs in the drug trade. It's basically "but what about Breonna's mistakes?" All pretty chicken**** IMO.

Last edited by Minoosh; 25th September 2020 at 10:31 AM.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 10:28 AM   #263
shuttlt
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,003
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Let's just note that there is an enormous gulf between "armed" and "potentially armed." Some of the most notorious police killings have been the result of cops presuming that somebody might be armed when he wasn't.
Sure. Some of those cases were justified. Some of them weren't.

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
I think fair-minded people recognize that cops have a right to defend themselves.
RolandRat seemed to be disputing that in the case that possible couldn't rule out the possibility that bystanders might get hit.

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
But only against an immediate, imminent, certain deadly threat, not against somebody reaching into a pocket or opening a glove compartment.
So it's like some kind of honourable wild west, where they slowly go for their gun but you can't fire until they draw? In the time it takes for somebody to pull something out of their pocket and for you to tell whether it is a gun or their wallet, if it is a gun they have shot you.

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
If that means the cop has to wait a beat to see what comes out of the pocket or the glove compartment, that's a risk he's paid to take.
No it isn't. You know it isn't. You might think it should be, but one of the main things your side is moaning about is that the law currently allows police to shoot you based on a reasonable belief.

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
In this case the cops might have had a right to defend themselves against somebody shooting at them. But they still had an obligation to identify their target.
I am not sure that that is true. Could you cite the law (or whatever) you are getting this from?
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 10:29 AM   #264
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing
 
Minoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 11,651
Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
They do have photos of that old boyfriend getting packages at her home. He stopped there many times, usually just a short visit, like some of the other places. Postal inspector corroborated. This signifies drug or money drops usually.
Brionna herself said she was worried when he came over that she was in danger. It made her anxious because his 'movements were messy'.
These men USED these women to hide their illegal activities.

Did you read the report and see the photos? they had some stake out photos and also some from 'pole cameras'
Go read about it. It is out there.
re highlight: No they didn't.

Camera snaps of her car at one of his locations. He visits her apartment. Pretty weak evidence IMO. I keep coming back to Grover's $1K bail. Also the new place-based policing sounds fishy on its own. Some of this may have been an effort to clear the neighborhood for redevelopment.

But even if she were up to her eyeballs in the drug trade - which isn't what LMPD actually believes, IMO - it was a stupid raid endangering innocents for a marginal case, and the connections detailed after her death are being tossed around by white supremacists to claim she deserved to be shot.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 10:29 AM   #265
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning
 
Skeptic Tank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,901
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Which is why I always spend these discussion not letting the "And therefore the black person deserved to be murdered" just being this unsaid subtext and making sure the racists have to say it directly.
But nobody is saying that, not even me.

What is being said is more like this:

"and therefore, this person was living the kind of life where they were a criminal and surrounding themselves with other criminals, and when leading that kind of life - the way their life ended is not entirely unforseeable and is the kind of fate that sometimes does befall the criminally inclined. This may not mean they 'deserved it' in some karmic sense, but it does mean that their fate was tied to their choices and that they probably aren't a great candidate for martyrhood / sainthood as they're being presented."

If we're going to be burning down the country over someone, I insist they not be a POS. Is that so much to ask?
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 10:36 AM   #266
Planigale
Illuminator
 
Planigale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: 49 North
Posts: 4,340
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
That's the obvious conclusion. If you take the position that the cops opening fire was lawful, then the system that lead to such a pointless killing is at fault.

We have a raid that resulted in a dead unarmed woman and a cop shot and the legal conclusion is that nobody, not cops or the guy that shot at them, committed a crime. 1 dead and 1 wounded and the only indictment is incidental because some cop went rambo and sprayed the whole building with gunfire like a moron.

What's maddening is that this horrible screwup has been decided as a natural consequence of the policies in place, but nothing is being done to change the policies to prevent such a disaster.

12 million paid out for a wrongful death and the city has no interest in preventing it from happening again.

Breonna Taylor wasn't some cocaine cowboy that never set foot outside of her fortified crack house. These people easily could have been apprehended during daylight hours to execute a search warrant.
If surprise is absolutely necessary, just snag her while checking the mail or at the grocery store, not by kicking in the door in the wee hours

A raid never should have been approved. The police culture and war on drugs have totally lost all sense of proportionality, and the deaths will continue until that is changed.
That is why there needs to be command responsibility, if the sheriff was in the dock or the chief of police facing a charge of corporate negligent homicide because there were not policies in place to police safely you would see change.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 10:54 AM   #267
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing
 
Minoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 11,651
"Both sides" of course use talking points and it's not unusual for "both sides" to insert little embellishments that are sometimes inaccurate. But there's no equivalency here. LMPD screwed up here. They know it. Some of the rounds shot were justified. Not all of them.

Also: Cops holding fire if at all possible is not some radical idea promoted by idealistic peacenicks. It happens all the time because yes, damnit, stray bullets are absolutely a thing! And police departments know that. Getting all pumped up breaking doors down is IMO often a bad idea. Justifiable? Maybe. Smart policing? I don't know, I'd have to research how effective they are vs. alternative tactics.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 10:56 AM   #268
Sherkeu
Graduate Poster
 
Sherkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Disneyland
Posts: 1,806
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
re highlight: No they didn't.

Camera snaps of her car at one of his locations. He visits her apartment. Pretty weak evidence IMO. I keep coming back to Grover's $1K bail. Also the new place-based policing sounds fishy on its own. Some of this may have been an effort to clear the neighborhood for redevelopment.

But even if she were up to her eyeballs in the drug trade - which isn't what LMPD actually believes, IMO - it was a stupid raid endangering innocents for a marginal case, and the connections detailed after her death are being tossed around by white supremacists to claim she deserved to be shot.
Well, she certainly DID NOT deserve to be shot but the circumstances she was in even gave her pause. She was worried. Probably not for her life though. Who could have imagined such a thing happening when you are sleeping in your own home? The cops do not like things to turn out this way either, you know. No one likes it. It is terrible.

I did note that another house he went to ...who he called the 'baby momma' Keisha, was not put on the list to be raided. They knew there was a child in that home.

Raiding a potential drug=affiliated place at night when a gun-toting criminal may be on the other side of the door seems reckless in any case.

also...Where do you go to get the opinion of the 'White Supremecists"? Do they post a lot on social media about it? I do not partake in any of those sites. I do use youtube though. I'm glad I dont get to hear the fringes ranting daily so second hand info is ok by me.

Last edited by Sherkeu; 25th September 2020 at 10:58 AM.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 11:22 AM   #269
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: US of A
Posts: 11,765
Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
.....
No it isn't. You know it isn't. You might think it should be, but one of the main things your side is moaning about is that the law currently allows police to shoot you based on a reasonable belief.

I am not sure that that is true. Could you cite the law (or whatever) you are getting this from?

Yeah, you know I can't. We all know that it's de facto legal for cops to kill pretty much anybody anytime anyplace if they just claim they're scared, even if they shouldn't be, and even if it wouldn't be grounds for a civilian to open fire. But that's life in a banana republic, not a civilized society. Cops in other countries enforce the laws and maintain lower crime rates without killing people they don't have to.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 11:30 AM   #270
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing
 
Minoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 11,651
Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
also...Where do you go to get the opinion of the 'White Supremecists"? Do they post a lot on social media about it? I do not partake in any of those sites. I do use youtube though. I'm glad I dont get to hear the fringes ranting daily so second hand info is ok by me.
I spent more time than I probably should have on VDARE. The articles I read had a thin veneer of avoiding obvious racism but the comments didn't. Also someone here kept bringing up the "body in the car" without explaining anything about it, and initial search results showed similar comments - people dropping it in as a talking point without explaining it, and using it to riff on some populations being naturally prone to more criminality. Finally I found the news stories detailing the car incident and her connection to it was peripheral. It kept getting tossed around without explanation amid comments that this stuff tended to happen in certain segments of society.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 11:30 AM   #271
shuttlt
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,003
Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
Raiding a potential drug=affiliated place at night when a gun-toting criminal may be on the other side of the door seems reckless in any case.
The way it was explained to me, that is exactly the circumstances in which you do do a no knock raid. But you do it fast and hard so you are in control of the situation before anybody inside knows which way is up. If you are going to knock, typically you would wait until morning when there is light and hopefully people have clear heads. The thing that was odd according to the former cop I saw talk about this was that they do kind of a mixture of a knock and a no-knock raid.
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 11:31 AM   #272
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning
 
Skeptic Tank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,901
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I spent more time than I probably should have on VDARE. The articles I read had a thin veneer of avoiding obvious racism but the comments didn't. Also someone here kept bringing up the "body in the car" without explaining anything about it, and initial search results showed similar comments - people dropping it in as a talking point without explaining it, and using it to riff on some populations being naturally prone to more criminality. Finally I found the news stories detailing the car incident and her connection to it was peripheral. It kept getting tossed around without explanation amid comments that this stuff tended to happen in certain segments of society.
AKA she told the police she rented the car but had no idea how it ended up with that dead drug dealer in it.

Okay, ever hear of people downplaying their role in criminality when questioned by cops?

Them not being able to prove she knew the car was going to be used for a drug deal does not mean she didn't know.

If this was some shady looking white guy in L.A. Noire or something you'd probably be enjoying watching the hard nosed detective respond to him with "sure, sure... you had no idea the car YOU rented would be used for a drug deal. Listen here bub, I wasn't born yesterday!"

etc.

But because it's an already media-sainted black woman, you'll just buy it hook line and sinker.

Last edited by Skeptic Tank; 25th September 2020 at 11:33 AM.
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 11:43 AM   #273
shuttlt
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,003
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Yeah, you know I can't.
This is the problem. You talk about cops having obligations that they take on when they take the job, but they don't as you seem to be accepting here. These are just obligations that you think cops should have, but currently don't.

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
We all know that it's de facto legal for cops to kill pretty much anybody anytime anyplace if they just claim they're scared, even if they shouldn't be, and even if it wouldn't be grounds for a civilian to open fire.
That is clearly not true.

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
But that's life in a banana republic, not a civilized society. Cops in other countries enforce the laws and maintain lower crime rates without killing people they don't have to.
I thought it was the accepted view on the forum that the crime rate was due to social problems, the USA being founded on racism, the War on Drugs etc etc etc. All of that seems to be operating at a policy level above the police. Are you sure you don't have the cause and effect the wrong way around? Maybe the cops in what ever countries you are referring to police differently because the level of violent criminality in the population they police is lower?
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 12:17 PM   #274
Olmstead
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 254
I think the whole purpose of no-knock warrants should be questioned. Is it to prevent evidence being destroyed? When? In the minute it would take to inform occupants that they need to comply or the police will be forced to break down their door? What are they going to do? Flush drugs down the toilet and bleach the place?

Are no-knock warrants really the result of people destroying evidence or are they the result of the police failing to find evidence that was never there to be found? They found nothing here. If this had been a regular search warrant, would they have simply chalked it up to evidence having been destroyed?

I think that no-knock warrants are a tool meant to terrorise. I don't believe they have an investigative benefit that outweighs the risks.
Olmstead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 12:21 PM   #275
Sherkeu
Graduate Poster
 
Sherkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Disneyland
Posts: 1,806
Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
The way it was explained to me, that is exactly the circumstances in which you do do a no knock raid. But you do it fast and hard so you are in control of the situation before anybody inside knows which way is up. If you are going to knock, typically you would wait until morning when there is light and hopefully people have clear heads. The thing that was odd according to the former cop I saw talk about this was that they do kind of a mixture of a knock and a no-knock raid.
It likely would have been better if they had NOT knocked. It seems to me the other raids at the same time produced the other suspects so I'll guess they thought Breonna was there alone...so they knocked and gave her warning. She was not known to be dangerous at all...just a pawn used by the other guys.
But that courtesy did not turn out well.
Either do one or the other. Barge in at night, or knock in the day.
The mix of strategies is not good.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 12:39 PM   #276
Shadowdweller
Muse
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 995
Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
The way it was explained to me, that is exactly the circumstances in which you do do a no knock raid. But you do it fast and hard so you are in control of the situation before anybody inside knows which way is up. If you are going to knock, typically you would wait until morning when there is light and hopefully people have clear heads. The thing that was odd according to the former cop I saw talk about this was that they do kind of a mixture of a knock and a no-knock raid.
In a state like Kentucky where there are stand your ground laws that explicitly allow shoot first at night when someone breaks down your door, and more than half (54%) of households possess guns - that would seem the most utterly imbecilic protocol imaginable. And oh look, it was.
Shadowdweller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 12:41 PM   #277
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing
 
Brainster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 18,010
Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
So the additional details are that a criminal made a claim for which no evidence was found to corroborate?

Wow, great scoop.



By the way, if you heard that Breonna Taylor was getting “drug packages” mailed to her house, you’ve been lied to. And the people lying to you are the police.
If you have evidence on that score, please feel free to present it. It is predictable, however, that you are not interested in talking about the lie that we have heard repeated ad nauseum that the cops had the wrong address. It is quite clear that they had a warrant for Breona's address and that there was no mistake.

And this bit about "and therefore she deserved to die" is just crap. I would like to know why I was lied to repeatedly about the cops going to her address by mistake. It's a pretty important point. Then we could get to the fact that she was not in bed when she was shot (another common claim that turned out to be false). Her lawyer apologized for saying that she had not been involved romantically with the dealer for two years; turned out there were some texts that contradicted him.

So what appeared to be an open and shut case of cops murdering a black woman turns out not to be quite that open and shut. But the Breonna Truthers of course didn't start from the evidence, so the fact that a lot of their claims turned out to be false doesn't matter. They knew the cops were guilty the moment Breonna's race was revealed.
__________________
My new blog: Recent Reads.
1960s Comic Book Nostalgia
Visit the Screw Loose Change blog.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 01:01 PM   #278
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing
 
Minoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 11,651
Originally Posted by Skeptic Tank View Post
But because it's an already media-sainted black woman, you'll just buy it hook line and sinker.
No, it's because the matter was resolved 4 years ago to LMPD's satisfaction.

Also, you don't know jack about my motives for concluding that she was not involved in that killing.

This car thing is part of a posthumous list police cobbled together to make her look bad. Someone asked why I think white supremacists are using this as part of a smear campaign and here you are, implying she must be guilty of more than renting a car for someone else's use. The cops don't even think that.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 01:09 PM   #279
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 27,934
Even if every single lie told about Breonna Taylor in this thread and the media were true, even if every single unverified variable is stacked against her, she should still be alive.

The whole "Oh I'll care about police violence as soon as you give me a 'pure' victim to worry about" thing is obvious for what it is.
__________________
- I don't know how to convince you that facts exist
- I don't know how to convince you that you should care about other people
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 01:12 PM   #280
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.
 
johnny karate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 13,580
Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
They do have photos of that old boyfriend getting packages at her home. He stopped there many times, usually just a short visit, like some of the other places. Postal inspector corroborated. This signifies drug or money drops usually.
Brionna herself said she was worried when he came over that she was in danger. It made her anxious because his 'movements were messy'.
These men USED these women to hide their illegal activities.

Did you read the report and see the photos? they had some stake out photos and also some from 'pole cameras'
Go read about it. It is out there.
It would be better if it was in here.

Please proved links to corroborate your claims.

Meanwhile, I’ll leave this here for you:
Louisville postal inspector: No ‘packages of interest’ at slain EMT Breonna Taylor’s home.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:17 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.