ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 17th August 2007, 10:47 PM   #1
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Troofers Flooding Another Poll?

Okay, Canadians, explain this!

There's a poll on the Globe and Mail Tech Page. Not only are they giving Zeitgeist coverage, but the indication seems to be that Canadian techies give these kinds of "works" credibility.

Or is this, as I suggested in my thread title, a few wiley troofers, flooding the results?

Quote:
Poll Results
Some consider the Internet, where ideas spread widely and rapidly, a conspiracy theorist's paradise. Do you give any credence to the arguments posed in such online films as Zeitgeist and Loose Change?

Absolutely
(80%) 233 votes
You're kidding, right?
(20%) 57 votes

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/technology
The poll is at the above link.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 17th August 2007 at 10:48 PM. Reason: forgot the link
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2007, 10:59 PM   #2
qarnos
Cold-hearted skeptic

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Or is this, as I suggested in my thread title, a few wiley troofers, flooding the results?
You win the prize!
Old 17th August 2007, 11:09 PM   #3
Pardalis
Banned

Only 297 votes...
Pardalis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2007, 11:53 PM   #4
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by qarnos View Post
Ah,... I see!

Yet more scientific proof and irrefutable evidence that they can cite in upcoming spams.

I should've realized it was those pesky kids over at LCF. Now that all seven of Revolutionary91 are banned here they need something to occupy themselves.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2007, 12:01 AM   #5
A W Smith
Philosopher

i posted this yesterday but it applies to this thread
The fallacy of polls
http://www.fallacyfiles.org/readpoll...=on&answer5=on

Quote:

A Checklist of Questions

When you are confronted with a new poll, ask the following questions about it:
  1. Is the sample scientifically selected or self-selected? If self-selected, the poll is only good for entertainment.
  2. What is the poll's margin of error? Are any comparisons reported―such as changes in popularity, record highs or lows, or comparisons between candidates―which lie within the margin of error? If so, they are insignificant.
  3. Have other polls on this issue been done recently? If so, it is a good idea to compare the results of the new poll with these others. If there are many comparable polls, and the results of the new poll are significantly different from the others―that is, a difference greater than the margin of error―then the new poll is probably unreliable.
If the poll you are confronted with fails at any step of this checklist, or if you can't find the answer to any one of these questions in the report, then your confidence in the poll should be much less than 95%.
Galileo:The jury said I didn't have any mental defects or diseases, they declared me 100% sane. Has a jury ever declared you sane?
Donít get me lolín off my chesterfield dude.
A W Smith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2007, 12:13 AM   #6
Zep
Banned

Worth a letter to the editor to point out that their online poll is being poll-bombed by Troofers??
Zep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2007, 12:15 AM   #7
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by A W Smith View Post
i posted this yesterday but it applies to this thread
The fallacy of polls
http://www.fallacyfiles.org/readpoll...=on&answer5=on
Well, in this case, though, it's merely an instance of one side trying to flood the results in their favor. In this poll, I'd say the framing of the choices nearly indicates that they expected all their techie readers to say they gave no credibility to such films. ("You're kidding, right?" tends to tell the person responding that the editors and like-thinking individuals don't take this nonsense seriously.)

Old 18th August 2007, 01:32 PM   #8
T.A.M.
Penultimate Amazing

The poll is is easily bombable. I have just voted for the second option 5 times by voting, clearing my cache and cookies, waiting a moment, then voting again.

Note I did this ONLY to prove that it is possible to do it, knowing the mindset of the twoofers, clearly that is what is happening.

TAM

it was announced at LCF:

http://z10.invisionfree.com/Loose_Ch...howtopic=14000

and the "hit Piece" article where the poll, from where the poll can be seen and voted on, was announced on 911blogger

http://www.911blogger.com/

Last edited by T.A.M.; 18th August 2007 at 01:39 PM.
T.A.M. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2007, 03:21 PM   #9
Thunder
Banned

If every Truther on Earth, votes in this "poll", the results will be 5,000 to 1.
Thunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2007, 05:44 PM   #10
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

What possible satisfaction could be derived from bombing a poll?

"Oh look, it reflects my opinion...... but I had to cheat to get it that way!"

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2007, 06:18 PM   #11
T.A.M.
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
What possible satisfaction could be derived from bombing a poll?

"Oh look, it reflects my opinion...... but I had to cheat to get it that way!"
They know that mr. joe public will have NO CLUE that they bombed the poll, so when they go to convince joe public, he will see all these inflated polls, and think..."maybe these truthers are on to something".

That is why...sad isnt it.

TAM
T.A.M. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2007, 07:14 PM   #12
Triterope
Muse

I wish news organizations would stop doing self-selecting Internet polls. All they measure is which side of the debate has more free time to spend manipulating the result.
Triterope is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2007, 08:40 PM   #13
Travis

Originally Posted by T.A.M. View Post
They know that mr. joe public will have NO CLUE that they bombed the poll, so when they go to convince joe public, he will see all these inflated polls, and think..."maybe these truthers are on to something".

That is why...sad isnt it.

TAM
When you have to cheat to get these results, to trick Joe Public, isn't that an admission that your side doesn't really have anything?

You'd think at some point they'd stop and go, hmmm.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2007, 08:56 PM   #14
T.A.M.
Penultimate Amazing

They have passed the point of honesty ruling the day by a LONG SHOT. For most truthers, it is no longer about finding out "the truth". They feel they have found it, and anything that gets in the way of its presentation is disposable...

A poll is just a means to spread their word...they could care less about its legitimacy.

TAM
Old 18th August 2007, 11:31 PM   #15
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

When you have to cheat to get these results, to trick Joe Public, isn't that an admission that your side doesn't really have anything?

You'd think at some point they'd stop and go, hmmm.

Ahh, but see... Once they convince Joe Public with their fake popularity, then they'll have real popularity (which they believe is their divine right), thereby justifying their previous, morally bankrupt tactics.

To your typical truther, the ends justify the means.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2007, 12:07 AM   #16
Travis

Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
Ahh, but see... Once they convince Joe Public with their fake popularity, then they'll have real popularity (which they believe is their divine right), thereby justifying their previous, morally bankrupt tactics.

To your typical truther, the ends justify the means.
It says alot about Truthers that being popular is so important to them. They like to present the image that they are rebels that don't care if they are popular but if that's true then why rig polls? That, it seems, is the action of an individual seeking affirmation from their peers.

Old 19th August 2007, 04:42 AM   #17
T.A.M.
Penultimate Amazing

Its all about the game.

Lets say, by some freakish chance, the majority of people DID agree with them, and BUSH and Cheney were hung for treason. The truthers would grwo bored, and would quickly find some other unpopular, intriguing, "I am unique and you are sheep" cause to follow.

TAM
Old 19th August 2007, 06:17 AM   #18
Zep
Banned

Again: Worth a letter to the editor from a local??
Zep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2007, 04:19 PM   #19
Miragememories
Banned

Note I did this ONLY to prove that it is possible to do it, knowing the mindset of the twoofers, clearly that is what is happening.

TAM
Knowing the mindset.

Typical arrogant omnipotent statement with no basis in reality.

Without proof of such a claim, the poll is a valid reflection of public feeling.

If anything is proved, it's that you admit to corrupting the results by voting more than once T.A.M.!

MM
Miragememories is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2007, 04:24 PM   #20
T.A.M.
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Miragememories View Post
Knowing the mindset.

Without proof of such a claim, the poll is a valid reflection of public feeling.

If anything is proved, it's that you admit to corrupting the results by voting more than once T.A.M.!

MM
Another wonderful hit and run post...

MM, I was witness to such a poll bomb within the first three months of my activity on the 9/11 truth issue, back in the fall of 2006. I read the posts over at LCF where they bragged about their multiple votes on a CNN poll, complete with screen captures...

That is what I meant by the "mindset".

And I stated, I did so, only to prove that it was possible to "bomb" the poll.

If I wanted to corrupt it, I think I would have voted a few more times than 5.

You can whine about my comment all you want, it doesn't change the fact that the truthers have a history of bombing these polls.

but you go ahead and believe the poll...lol

TAM
Old 19th August 2007, 04:30 PM   #21
Miragememories
Banned

I couldn't care less about what dregs you dig up from some past consciousness T.A.M.

You freely admitted that you violated the integrity of that Globe and Mail public poll T.A.M. and you have no solid evidence that members of the 9/11 Truth community have behaved in such a manner.

MM
Miragememories is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2007, 04:33 PM   #22
T.A.M.
Penultimate Amazing

past conciousness TAM???

It was not imagined, not dreamed, it occured. Others here were witness to it. gonna have me charged for violating that poll in order to prove the bogusness of it. If anything, the Globe and Mail should thank me for pointing out how easy it is to inflate such a poll...

Why so upset?

Do you HONESTLY believe that 70-75% of people in the USA give credence to films like LC and Zeitgeist? Oh wait, of course you do...lol

TAM
Old 19th August 2007, 04:41 PM   #23
Miragememories
Banned

You are the one admitting to violating the poll.

Don't wag your finger at me!

MM
Old 19th August 2007, 04:43 PM   #24
T.A.M.
Penultimate Amazing

Well I am not upset about it, but you are...so that is why I am finger wagging.

TAM
Old 19th August 2007, 04:46 PM   #25
T.A.M.
Penultimate Amazing

Violate is such a strong word, given that nowhere on the page for the poll does it even suggest, let alone mandate, that I only vote once...lol

the point of all this is to point out the uselessness of ONLINE polls such as this one. You don't get that, do you?

TAM
Old 19th August 2007, 04:46 PM   #26
stateofgrace

Knowing the mindset.

MM
Really?

Itís funny that because I have never met a truther in real life, where are they all MM? Where are the millions taking to the streets demanding the USG be charged with mass murder on 911?

Maybe once LC:FC is released everybody will wake up, eh?
stateofgrace is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2007, 04:47 PM   #27
Miragememories
Banned

Well I am not upset about it, but you are...so that is why I am finger wagging.

TAM
Source?

Where did I say I was upset?

I'm overjoyed to see you freely admit that you are corrupt.

MM
Old 19th August 2007, 04:49 PM   #28
T.A.M.
Penultimate Amazing

lol...

I am not corrupt. As I said, nowhere does it indicate that I may only vote once. I was merely pointing out that with such a poll, where it is quite easy to vote multiple times, that the validity of the results is questioned.

Your tone indicated to me you were upset, but I guess I was wrong.

There ya go MM, two for one night, now you have me admitting I was wrong, and you have your own theory that I am corrupt.

TAM
Old 19th August 2007, 04:57 PM   #29
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

MM,
We've been through this on numerous topics.
If you want to show how porous airport security is, smuggle a dummied up bomb onto a plane. It's worked for journalists and news orgs around the world.!
If you wish to show that A&E for Troof are padding their "experts" list, get a bunch of folks to go in and sign up as Rube Goldberg and Inspector Gadget.
If you wish to show that a poll is easily manipulated, go in and manipulate it a couple of times.

TAM didn't spend two days logging in and out and kiting the count... he did it a couple of times to see if it could be done. I did, too! But I have better things to do than manipulating a poll, and I'm sure TAM does, too.

The "get out the vote" threads on LCF (there are two of them) should be an indication of how the results are bombed.

(You'll note that no one here said, "Hey, let's get over and show them how strong we are!"... Yet at LCF they defined it as the ultimate JREF vs. LCF vote! I posted this thread because I wanted to know if Canadian geeks could possibly be so overwhelmingly for films like Zeitgeist and Loose Change. As it turns out, they're not... It was a bunch of 15 year olds storming the castle, yet again!)

Old 19th August 2007, 04:57 PM   #30
Miragememories
Banned

lol...

I am not corrupt. As I said, nowhere does it indicate that I may only vote once. I was merely pointing out that with such a poll, where it is quite easy to vote multiple times, that the validity of the results is questioned.

Your tone indicated to me you were upset, but I guess I was wrong.

There ya go MM, two for one night, now you have me admitting I was wrong, and you have your own theory that I am corrupt.

TAM
Too funny.

Why of course the esteemed Globe & Mail wants people to multiple post in their poll because they really don't care about the results.

My understanding of what constitutes corrupt behavior is obviously different than yours T.A.M.

Apparently you seem to think that multiple voting is not something a newspaper poll would hope honest people would avoid doing.

You've proved that you are capable of violating the intent of this sincerely intended poll and that you have no ethical issues with about doing so.

MM
Old 19th August 2007, 04:58 PM   #31
T.A.M.
Penultimate Amazing

Too funny.

Why of course the esteemed Globe & Mail wants people to multiple post in their poll because they really don't care about the results.

My understanding of what constitutes corrupt behavior is obviously different than yours T.A.M.

Apparently you seem to think that multiple voting is not something a newspaper poll would hope honest people would avoid doing.

You've proved that you are capable of violating the intent of this sincerely intended poll and that you have no ethical issues with about doing so.

MM
think what you like MM, I won't lose any sleep over what I did.

TAM
Old 19th August 2007, 05:37 PM   #32
qarnos
Cold-hearted skeptic

Too funny.

MM
I would imagine that Globe & Mail intended for the poll to represent the demographic of their regular readers.

Therefore, do you not think it is unethical for someone to encourage a group of people who don't read Globe & Mail, but happen to share his POV on the topic of the poll, to visit the site for the sole purpose of deliberately skewing the results of the poll?
Old 20th August 2007, 06:56 AM   #33
Alferd_Packer
Philosopher

Ah, the finest tradition of democracy.

Vote Early and Vote Often
Alferd_Packer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2007, 07:10 AM   #34
ComsatAngel2017
Muse

"My understanding of what constitutes corrupt behavior is obviously different than yours T.A.M."

Your understanding of what constitutes reality is obviously different from the rest of the world - and 79.5% of those polled agreed.

Now, I'm going to go and post multiple times on the Globe's poll, not because I give a hoot about the issue, but because it's such fun making that vein in your temple throb.

Pip pip!
ComsatAngel2017 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2007, 07:17 AM   #35
T.A.M.
Penultimate Amazing

ROFLMAO...I needed that laugh, and in clinic too. I hope the patients did not hear me.

TAM
Old 20th August 2007, 07:24 AM   #36
Drudgewire
Critical Doofus

They like to present the image that they are rebels that don't care if they are popular but if that's true then why rig polls?
It also speaks volumes about why they believe what they do about the shadowy government who fixes elections and kills thousands of their own people:

They assume everyone is as fundamentally dishonest as they are.
"You post a lie, it is proven 100% false, you move the goalposts and post yet another lie and it continues on around till we're back to the original lie as if it will somehow become true if it's re-iterated again. The same misquotes over and over again. The same hindsight bias, appeals to authority, etc."
-lapman describing every twoofer on the internet
Drudgewire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2007, 08:48 AM   #37
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Hey look, MirageMemories....

Here's the latest....

Quote:
Some consider the Internet, where ideas spread widely and rapidly, a conspiracy theorist's paradise. Do you give any credence to the arguments posed in such online films as Zeitgeist and Loose Change?

Absolutely
(47%) 472 votes
You're kidding, right?
(53%) 531 votes
Total votes: 1003
Edited by Lisa Simpson:  Edited to remove personal information.

Ya think maybe some other boards got wind of this scam and decided to chop it down? Naaaah! Has to be an ebil gubmint conspiracy!

Last edited by Lisa Simpson; 20th August 2007 at 12:36 PM.
Old 20th August 2007, 01:56 PM   #38
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Hmm... The poll is still on their Technology page, but clicking the "Results & Past Polls" link shows results for an entirely different poll. Also, the poll being discussed in this thread doesn't appear in the "Past Polls" column on the right...

Edit: Here's the link to the results: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...hub=VoteResult
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2007, 04:07 PM   #39
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
Hmm... The poll is still on their Technology page, but clicking the "Results & Past Polls" link shows results for an entirely different poll. Also, the poll being discussed in this thread doesn't appear in the "Past Polls" column on the right...

Edit: Here's the link to the results: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...hub=VoteResult
Seems to be working again. Maybe the Globe and Mail just got tired of all the NWO agents logging on and took it down for a while (I have no idea how long they run their polls.)

Old 20th August 2007, 04:14 PM   #40
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Seems to be working again. Maybe the Globe and Mail just got tired of all the NWO agents logging on and took it down for a while (I have no idea how long they run their polls.)

Oops, sorry. The link I gave is a direct link to the poll results. I had to do a little finagling to find it. The "Results & Past Polls" link on their Technology page still shows the results for an entirely different poll ("Is the Newfoundland and Labrador government on the right track in encouraging other provinces to ban the use of hand-held cellphones while driving?").

At least for me it does...

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories