ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Niels Harrit , richard gage , steven jones

Old 13th October 2011, 12:12 PM   #1
DaveThomasNMSR
Muse

Need Help with Iron Microsphere Quotes

JREFers, I need to get a video soundbite of a prominent truther (I'm thinking Gage, Harrit, Jones) explicity saying that the iron-rich microspheres found in WTC dust (USGS, R.J. Lee) can only be formed by Thermite, as jet-fueled or office fires just ain't hot enough.

If you can post the URL and start time for your video candidates, I will be most grateful!

Thanks, Dave
DaveThomasNMSR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2011, 12:30 PM   #2
Josarhus
Thinker

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Gage at about 2 minutes.
Old 13th October 2011, 01:42 PM   #3
alienentity
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Josarhus View Post
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Gage at about 2 minutes.
Cool. Beat me to it.
alienentity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2011, 01:53 PM   #4
Oz1976
Muse

Didn't he say it in the national geographic documentary as well, the one where they actually have a controlled demolition team rigging a building and he made his infamous "they don't even know how it works, we don't even know how it works" quote...going to search for it.

ETA: eh, he didn't mention the microsphere's in the portion where he's talking about super secret hi tech nano thermite so I guess it was somewhere else.

Last edited by Oz1976; 13th October 2011 at 02:19 PM. Reason: wrong doc / eta
Oz1976 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2011, 02:30 PM   #5
DaveThomasNMSR
Muse

Thanks for the Gage clip!!

It'd be great to have gaffes from all three (e.g. Harrit & Jones too), so keep 'em coming!

Tomorrow I have some time on the Scanning Electron Microscope here at NMT to take some images of iron microspheres created, not by ThermiteTM, but by

a BIC lighter!

DaveThomasNMSR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2011, 02:41 PM   #6
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by DaveThomasNMSR View Post

It'd be great to have gaffes from all three (e.g. Harrit & Jones too), so keep 'em coming!

Tomorrow I have some time on the Scanning Electron Microscope here at NMT to take some images of iron microspheres created, not by ThermiteTM, but by

a BIC lighter!

Woohoo! Got my laugh for the day.
Old 13th October 2011, 02:44 PM   #7
Oz1976
Muse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJmgYUR-QHg

Steven Jones @ 3:00 mins in, claiming "iron rich spheres" as the product of the reaction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MztN1toKwhA

Steven Jones again, @ 5 mins in, "iron rich droplets"

Last edited by Oz1976; 13th October 2011 at 02:53 PM. Reason: ETA
Oz1976 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2011, 03:34 PM   #8
R.Mackey
Philosopher

a BIC lighter!
... brought down the World Trade Center. Not an aircraft. Inside Jerb. Congratulations, you are now a Truther. [/moron]

R.Mackey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2011, 05:42 PM   #9
alienentity
Illuminator

a BIC lighter!

Oh no you di'int!
alienentity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2011, 05:56 PM   #10
BasqueArch
Graduate Poster

a BIC lighter!

Dave, as long as you're at it, can you compare the Harritt chips to your sample of "nanothermarte" at the same magnification?
Thanks
In Your Guts You Know They're Nuts. "There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true." -Kierkegaard . "The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. "- Marcus Aurelius
A Truther is a True Believer convinced by lies. You can't reason someone out of a thing they weren't reasoned into.There's a sucker born every minute-Barnum
BasqueArch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2011, 06:01 PM   #11
Sunstealer
Illuminator

Whilst not on the exact topic, this may interest you Dave. http://news.softpedia.com/news/Why-L...s-125109.shtml
Sunstealer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2011, 09:51 AM   #12
DaveThomasNMSR
Muse

Got Some Awesome Results!

Thanks for all the articles and suggestions! We did the experiment this morning, and it was a smashing success!

We got Iron, we got Micro, we got Spheres, and all that just with some steel wool and a BIC lighter.

Still hoping for a Harrit soundbite, if any know of one lurking out there.

Cheers, Dave
Old 14th October 2011, 10:00 AM   #13
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Thanks for all the articles and suggestions! We did the experiment this morning, and it was a smashing success!

http://www.nmsr.org/fe_scan.jpg

We got Iron, we got Micro, we got Spheres, and all that just with some steel wool and a BIC lighter.

Cheers, Dave
Awesome! Congratulations.
Old 14th October 2011, 10:19 AM   #14
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Cheers, Dave
My railing shop is filled with these things. Creeps me out when I see them magnified like that.

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2011, 11:46 AM   #15
Josarhus
Thinker

Cheers, Dave

I AGREE

It is in Danish, but I will make a transcript and translate it to English, just give me some time.

It starts at 4:16 and the headline reads:

Quote:
Beviser på thermitter
Mikro-kugler af jern I støvet
Translated:

Quote:
Evidence of thermite
Iron microspheres in the dust.

Then it goes on regarding the collection of the dust and at around 6:00 he explains how Steven Jones tested commercial thermite and compared the residue to the spheres found in the dust.

The essential is that he does not absolutely clearly say that it can ONLY be the result of thermite, but the audience is left with the very clear impression that it is in fact a result of thermite. The text on the other hand clearly says that it IS evidence of thermite.

The rest of his long lecture held august 23 2011 in Copenhagen is filled with manipulated “facts” and direct lies. He is holding these lectures several times each month in Denmark, and to my knowledge they are pretty similar in content.

Last edited by Josarhus; 14th October 2011 at 11:48 AM.
Josarhus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2011, 12:37 PM   #16
moorea34
Thinker

In the thermite paper, The Open Chemical Physics Journal, 2009, Volume 2

page 29 :

8. After igniting several red/gray chips in a DSC run to
700 °C, we found numerous iron-rich spheres and
spheroids in the residue, indicating that a very hightemperature
reaction had occurred, since the iron-rich
product clearly must have been molten to form these
shapes. In several spheres, elemental iron was verified
since the iron content significantly exceeded the
oxygen content. We conclude that a high-temperature
reduction-oxidation reaction has occurred in the
heated chips, namely, the thermite reaction.
moorea34 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2011, 12:49 PM   #17
Miragememories
Banned

Cheers, Dave
Well I guess that proves WTC was packed to the gills with steel wool.

Too funny.

MM
Miragememories is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2011, 12:56 PM   #18
Dog Town
Banned

Originally Posted by Miragememories View Post

Too funny.

MM
WOW...just wow!
Dog Town is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2011, 03:08 PM   #19
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by moorea34 View Post
In the thermite paper, The Open Chemical Physics Journal, 2009, Volume 2

page 29 :

8. After igniting several red/gray chips in a DSC run to
700 °C, we found numerous iron-rich spheres and
spheroids in the residue, indicating that a very hightemperature
reaction had occurred, since the iron-rich
product clearly must have been molten to form these
shapes. In several spheres, elemental iron was verified
since the iron content significantly exceeded the
oxygen content. We conclude that a high-temperature
reduction-oxidation reaction has occurred in the
heated chips, namely, the thermite reaction.
Yes, we know that the incompetent fools who wrote that paper made a ridiculously vague series of statements and concluded something which their results directly contradicted. Did you have something of your own to add to this particular piece of idiocy, or are you simply spamming a piece of pseudoscience that we're all familiar with?

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2011, 03:11 PM   #20
Justin39640
Illuminator

Iron Maiden's new hit - Two Minutes To Thermite.
Old 14th October 2011, 04:01 PM   #21
DaveThomasNMSR
Muse

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Yes, we know that the incompetent fools who wrote that paper made a ridiculously vague series of statements and concluded something which their results directly contradicted. Did you have something of your own to add to this particular piece of idiocy, or are you simply spamming a piece of pseudoscience that we're all familiar with?

Dave
Actually, Dave R., moorea34 was providing exactly what I had asked for, namely an example of Harrit claiming that the iron-rich microspheres prove that a "very high temperature reaction had occurred." Thanks, moorea34!

Just finished the video of the burning of steel wool samples, the YouTube should be forthcoming in a day or two!

Cheers, Dave
Old 14th October 2011, 04:32 PM   #22
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Actually, Dave R., moorea34 was providing exactly what I had asked for, namely an example of Harrit claiming that the iron-rich microspheres prove that a "very high temperature reaction had occurred." Thanks, moorea34!
Arrgh, sorry to both of you. I can only blame a combination of DFS and carrying on the usual thermite argument with Miragememories. Still, as I said in the whistleblowers thread, friendly fire incidents happen from time to time...

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2011, 05:39 PM   #23
DaveThomasNMSR
Muse

Arrgh, sorry to both of you. I can only blame a combination of DFS and carrying on the usual thermite argument with Miragememories. Still, as I said in the whistleblowers thread, friendly fire incidents happen from time to time...

Dave
No problemo, Dave!

Thanks also to Josarhus for digging up the Harrit video! I may end up using the Bentham quote to complete the Thermitic Triumvirate (Gage, Jones, Harrit), we'll see.

Cheers, Dave
Old 14th October 2011, 05:57 PM   #24
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

Too funny.

MM
The iron spheres are not pure iron, they have other elements in them and they do not need temperatures as high as the melting point of steel, or the temperature of a thermite reaction to form.
The Jones junk science paper proves the iron spheres formed at temperatures below that of melted steel, but you don't do the research, you don't have the knowledge, you don't care to learn. You support blindly the thermite paper, which debunks itself, and the proof is in the paper.
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2011, 06:24 PM   #25
ozeco41
Philosopher

Dave
Isn't it a funny tilted playing field we have here.

'Debunkers' and all the rational honest people are expected to be 100% correct all the time every time.

Whilst truthers and trolls expect to get away with anything up to 100% wrong - all the time - every time.

ozeco41 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2011, 07:24 PM   #26
TsuDhoNimh
Thinker

I used to work for a company that did a lot of plasma cutter work to make parts ... iron nanospheres abounded in the workshop.

Nasty lung-clogging little things!
TsuDhoNimh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2011, 12:56 AM   #27
alienentity
Illuminator

No problemo, Dave!

Thanks also to Josarhus for digging up the Harrit video! I may end up using the Bentham quote to complete the Thermitic Triumvirate (Gage, Jones, Harrit), we'll see.

Cheers, Dave
I love the smell of pwnage in the morning!
Old 17th October 2011, 11:25 AM   #28
Kent1
Graduate Poster

Cheers, Dave
Yep, also iron dust has an ignition temp of 430C. The same ignition temp as the red grey chips.

Minimum ignition temperature, iron dust cloud: 430C (805F).
http://www.analytyka.com.mx/tabla%20...N%20POWDER.htm

Smaller bits of iron will burn and form spheres at much lower temps.

Here's another pic of iron wool
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bang/handson/steel_wool.shtml

Last edited by Kent1; 17th October 2011 at 11:29 AM.
Kent1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2011, 02:20 PM   #29
Miragememories
Banned

Originally Posted by Kent1 View Post
Yep, also iron dust has an ignition temp of 430C. The same ignition temp as the red grey chips.

Minimum ignition temperature, iron dust cloud: 430C (805F).
http://www.analytyka.com.mx/tabla%20...N%20POWDER.htm

Smaller bits of iron will burn and form spheres at much lower temps.

Here's another pic of iron wool
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bang/handson/steel_wool.shtml
Too bad the red chips were not iron dust.

MM
Miragememories is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2011, 02:28 PM   #30
Kent1
Graduate Poster

MM
Never claimed they were. So maybe I'm mistaken. So there was zero iron within these chips?
OK, I know you don't think that. But I have no idea what you've been trying to say lately.

Last edited by Kent1; 17th October 2011 at 02:42 PM.
Kent1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2011, 06:36 AM   #31
DaveThomasNMSR
Muse

MM
Well, as long as there was no iron dust or filaments or iron in any small shapes, in the entire WTC complex, then the microspheres in WTC dust could still be from Thermite.

Wait - there certainly WAS iron dust and small pieces of iron in the towers!

So it's not certain the lil' spheres are thermitic, at all! That's too bad!

Thanks for the BBC article, Kent1. That's a keeper.

Still working on the YouTube - production values take time!

Dave
Old 18th October 2011, 06:56 AM   #32
Miragememories
Banned

Well, as long as there was no iron dust or filaments or iron in any small shapes, in the entire WTC complex, then the microspheres in WTC dust could still be from Thermite.

Wait - there certainly WAS iron dust and small pieces of iron in the towers!

So it's not certain the lil' spheres are thermitic, at all! That's too bad!

Thanks for the BBC article, Kent1. That's a keeper.

Still working on the YouTube - production values take time!

Dave
Yes it is important to present your misinformation as credibly as possible.

MM
Old 18th October 2011, 07:09 AM   #33
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

MM

Ironically, the most truthful thing a truther has ever said.
Old 18th October 2011, 07:09 AM   #34
DaveThomasNMSR
Muse

MM
Sorry, but the only misinformation needing correcting here is the Truther mantra that only thermite can account for iron microspheres.

Old 18th October 2011, 08:10 AM   #35
NoahFence
Banned

Too funny.

MM
Unreal.

You know, admitting you don't know a damn thing, and being thankful for the input of people who DO know what they're doing isn't altogether a bad thing.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2011, 08:12 AM   #36
cantonear1968
Graduate Poster

Sorry, but the only misinformation needing correcting here is the Truther mantra that only thermite can account for iron microspheres.

Huh!

Funny thing!

I would have thought that would have been obvious from the evidence you presented, Dave!

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
-Good luck America with President Trump
cantonear1968 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2011, 08:55 AM   #37
Miragememories
Banned

Originally Posted by Miragememories
"Yes it is important to present your misinformation as credibly as possible."
Originally Posted by DaveThomasNMSR
"Sorry, but the only misinformation needing correcting here is the Truther mantra that only thermite can account for iron microspheres."
emphasis is mine

I do not accept that it is a commonly held belief that only thermite can account for iron microspheres.

Originally Posted by Dr. Steven Jones
"The presence of metallic microspheres implies that these metals were once molten, so that surface tension pulled the droplets into a roughly spherical shape. Then the molten droplets solidified in air, preserving the information that they were once molten in the spherical shape as well as chemical information."
It is important to determine the chemical signature of the microspheres when associating their existence with the presence of thermite.

Originally Posted by Dr. Frank Greening
"There ARE certain types of microspheres that would perhaps be hard to explain in the debris of an "ordinary" office fire, but so far I have not seen any in the analytical data on the WTC dust published by Jones or anyone else."
Here is a summarized and reduced for brevity exchange between Dr. Frank Greening and Dr. Steven Jones regarding the cause behind the iron microspheres.

Originally Posted by Dr. Frank Greening in an exchange with Dr. Steven Jones
"I will forward the spectrum of the incinerator ash as well. It shows microspheres and iron is present in significant concentrations too...my good friend Carrol Sanders has reminded me that fly ash is frequently used as aggregate in lightweight concrete, so microspheres may have been present in the Twin Tower's concrete even before the fires of 9/11. Given that so much concrete was pulverized during the collapse of the towers, fly ash debris would be present in large amounts in the rubble pile."
Originally Posted by Dr. Steven Jones in an exchange with Dr. Frank Greening
"The plot you provided is from burning COAL, not paper, plastics, wood etc. Or are you saying there was coal in the WTC? Where is the oxygen in the spectrum? This coal (your reference) was burned at high temperatures -- the caption refers to "high stoker temperature." This is a significant difference from the WTC fires -- or -- Are you claiming such high temps occurred in the WTC fires? Hot enough to produce iron-rich spheres? (Iron melts at 1538 C) The oxygen content is significant, yet the spectrum appears to be skewed, cut off at low X-ray energies... please explain -- how much Oxygen was present? Oxygen must be present in a spectrum to provide a match with spectra I have shown -- not the case in the one example you provided! All of the iron-aluminum spheres I have found in the WTC dust show abundant OXYGEN. Often O is the principal element in the spheres."
Originally Posted by Dr. Frank Greening in an exchange with Dr. Jones
"Now I see you are quibbling about me sending you the spectrum of coal ash, asking me somewhat rhetorically: Was coal being burnt in the Twin Towers? Here, I would say you are missing my point which is that the mineral matter in natural carbon-based fuels forms an ash residue after the fuel is combusted that always contains Al, Si, K, Ca, and Fe – precisely the most abundant elements, (after the ubiquitous oxygen), in your WTC samples as revealed by their EDX spectra!"
"...some time ago, we crushed a concrete sample obtained from the WTC rubble, used magnetic concentration, and looked for iron-rich spheres. There were NONE found.

This coal (your reference) was burned at high temperatures -- the caption refers to "high stoker temperature." This is a significant difference from the WTC fires -- or -- Are you claiming such high temps occurred in the WTC fires? Hot enough to produce iron-rich spheres? (Iron melts at 1538 C)."
Originally Posted by JREFer Crazy Chainsaw
"Frank [Dr. Frank Greening] at that time I did not know that magnetite was removed from fly ash used in concrete by magnetic drum separation. Basically a big barrel filled with magnets that rolls over the fly ash, and picks out the magnetite so it can be sold. Basically the same technique used by Dr. Jones."
Originally Posted by Dr. Frank Greening in an exchange with Dr. Jones
"I do not believe that a temperature of 1536 deg C (or higher!) is necessary to form iron-rich microspheres. These type of particles are formed in incinerators that never get above 1200 deg C. In fact most of the chemistry involved in forming microspheres takes place in the temperature range 600 - 1000 deg C, well within the range of temperatures expected for the WTC fires. Think about it, if a waste incinerator gets above 1536 deg C the incinerator walls, which are usually made of carbon steel or low alloy steels, will melt!

The formation of iron-rich microspheres below the m.p. of pure iron at ~ 1537 deg C is a complex process but is possible in an environment containing HCl/Cl2 and SO2/SO3 in the presence of O2 and H2O. Iron is transported as a volatile di or tri-chloride. FeCl2 has a m.p. of 677 deg C and allows "active" corrosion to occur with iron wastage rates as high as 100 g/m^2 per hour. The iron chloride is relatively unstable and decomposes but the iron does not wind up as a pure iron microsphere. As the very least it will be oxide (probably Fe3O4) coated and alloyed with other metals such as Al. Fly ash usually contains mullite, Al6Si2O13. This readily combines with iron oxide at ~ 1000 deg C to form an iron-rich aluminosilicate microsphere on cooling. Other elements such as K and Ca are also readily incorporated into these melts. This is the chemistry of CLAY minerals!

As long as Jones' microspheres contain Si and/or K and Ca, they are NOT derived from thermite."
"...you state: "Now this is indeed quite strange because Si is definitely NOT an ingredient of commercial thermite."

This statement is demonstrably incorrect, and indeed I demonstrated that Si is in fact a component of the sample of commercial thermite I tested -- both in the unreacted thermite sample (in with iron oxide chips) and in the spheres which formed from reacting the commercial thermite. This observation I made was and is important to the discussion. Experiments trump authoritative statements from you or anyone else."
So far I have little substantive research contradicting Dr. Steven Jones's argument.

But I will keep looking.

MM
Old 18th October 2011, 09:18 AM   #38
twinstead
Penultimate Amazing

So far I have little substantive research contradicting Dr. Steven Jones's argument.
Only because you have decided to re-define "substantive research" to suit your needs.
Old 18th October 2011, 09:27 AM   #39
NoahFence
Banned

Quote:
emphasis is mine

I do not accept that it is a commonly held belief that only thermite can account for iron microspheres.
It absolutely is in your circles. As is the belief that all explosions = explosives.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2011, 10:17 AM   #40
DaveThomasNMSR
Muse

Video is up on YouTube

Here it is:

I AGREE

Suggestions and comments regarding improvements will be considered. Perhaps even a second edition?

Thanks for all the clips & comments thus far!

Cheers, Dave

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories