ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags political predictions , political speculation , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 13th March 2018, 06:41 PM   #721
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I'm guessing he's scared of the 25th Amendment.
That's assuming he's even more than vaguely aware of any other than the 2nd.
Old 13th March 2018, 09:38 PM   #722
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
That's assuming he's even more than vaguely aware of any other than the 2nd.

And I doubt that his grasp of that goes beyond "This is something that the racist freaks who voted for me drool over. I gotta keep them happy."

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2018, 10:15 PM   #723
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
And I doubt that his grasp of that goes beyond "This is something that the racist freaks who voted for me drool over. I gotta keep them happy."
I doubt Donny's thinking goes much beyond "What's in it for me!"
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2018, 01:20 AM   #724
TofuFighter
Master Poster

By all indications, this thread's about to blow up!
CNN has their say
You probably can't get decent odds on any of these guys.
Old 14th March 2018, 01:33 AM   #725
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump fires people to change the new-cycle. There won't be mass-firings, because that would be a waste of media ammunition.
Old 14th March 2018, 03:57 AM   #726
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
And the purge might just be beginning. Many commentators are saying Trump wants everybody who is not a blind follower of him out of the White House and upper ranks of the government.
SO Trump can rule with his gut feelings, and not be bothered with experts who disagree with him.
I think the term "Catastrophic Results" will be applicable to the result.
When people thought they wanted america run like a business who knew it would end up being one of Trumps businesses.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2018, 03:59 AM   #727
Octavo
Illuminator

What about the tillerson, Kelly, Mattis suicide pact? With Tillerson gone, will Kelly and Mattis both resign?
Old 14th March 2018, 04:16 AM   #728
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Octavo View Post
What about the tillerson, Kelly, Mattis suicide pact? With Tillerson gone, will Kelly and Mattis both resign?
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha !

Even if it really existed, I personally doubt that anyone in the Trump administration would adhere to it and in any case it seems a pretty poor way to run a government.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2018, 04:31 AM   #729
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

It was Mattis, Tillerson and Mnuchin. I'd be worried if Mattis resigned and Mnuchin is too much of a weasel.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2018, 04:34 AM   #730
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha !

Even if it really existed, I personally doubt that anyone in the Trump administration would adhere to it and in any case it seems a pretty poor way to run a government.
So it's on like Donkey Kong!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2018, 05:23 AM   #731
d4m10n
Philosopher

Relevant:
https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/973599618469679104
Old 14th March 2018, 05:25 AM   #732
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
If there is a local card shop they must be making a fortune in all the "Sorry you are leaving" cards.
Old 14th March 2018, 05:39 AM   #733
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
If there is a local card shop they must be making a fortune in all the "Sorry you are leaving" cards.
No, the action is at the pharmacies. When Trump's "best people" are routinely kicked to the curb, gauze is the immediate need.
Old 14th March 2018, 05:56 AM   #734
C_Felix
Master Poster

Maybe this will end up being the prime mover for BC to leave?

First on CNN: Emails show Ben, Candy Carson selected $31,000 dining set

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/14/polit...set/index.html
Old 14th March 2018, 06:01 AM   #735
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I'm sure if 'Vankie hears this, she'll be leasing a store to Hallmark in their hotel lobby up the road.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2018, 06:56 AM   #736
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
When people thought they wanted america run like a business who knew it would end up being one of Trumps businesses.

Far more of a puzzle would be, "Who thought it would be any different?"

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2018, 07:06 AM   #737
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
Why not?

Tooke's transgressions were well known when he was appointed as Chief by the Trump administration.
Well his offenses are tame by the standards of the Molester-in-Chief.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2018, 07:07 AM   #738
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Obviously the results of previous application of her ideas on education.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2018, 07:08 AM   #739
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Gee whiz!

Rex Tillerson has finally got the boot and I am surprised that it has taken this long.

And by the way, due to the numerous State Department resignations in the last several months I sure hope that the last person to leave the State Department building will remember to turn out the lights.
And while he was trying to smooth over the Trumpet's "************ comment too.
Old 14th March 2018, 07:10 AM   #740
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Apparently John McEntee made certain that Trump always had markers for autographs , delivered messages to him at the White House, and last weekend made certain the clocks in the White House were "sprung forward" for daylight savings time (https://www.wsj.com/articles/trumps-...red-1520945928). My God- Trump couldn't even hire a go-fer who didn't have serious issues!

Well, at least Mr. McEntee is now free to find a less demeaning job- assuming he stays clear of a conviction and prison.
Who still has clocks that require manual resetting?
Old 14th March 2018, 07:11 AM   #741
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
OK, Tillerson puts out a press release supporting the UK conclusions about the source of the toxin and condemns Russia for their involvement, and suddenly gets canned.

How can Congress let this go unchecked?
Republican majorities. For a while...
Old 14th March 2018, 07:12 AM   #742
catsmate
No longer the 1

It would appear to have been in the works for at least a little while since David Dennison already had noms for SOSUS and CIA lined up.
To be fair that's probably normal practice under the Trumpet.
Old 14th March 2018, 08:01 AM   #743
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post

As of this past Sunday;

microwave #1

microwave #2

stove clock

coffee maker

three clocks in bedroom

two clocks in bathrooms

three clocks on three indoor/outdoor thermometers

two blood pressure monitors

central HVAC thermostat

my watch

both cars

There's probably others which I have overlooked and will notice sometime in an indeterminate future when I wonder why I'm suddenly running an hour behind somehow.

Our phone system would also have needed to be adjusted, but a while back, for some reason which is a complete mystery to me, it decided it was going to keep itself on GMT regardless of how I tried to convince it to stay in the same time zone as the rest of the house. I fear some sort of Anglophile virus, which isn't beyond the realm of the possible, since it's made by Panasonic, and those Japs are notorious Anglophiles.

The cable boxes, smartphones, tablets, computers, etc. have all managed to update themselves appropriately, but I'm keeping a close eye on them, just in case that Anglophile virus manages to jump over.

Old 14th March 2018, 08:14 AM   #744
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

It would appear to have been in the works for at least a little while since David Dennison already had noms for SOSUS and CIA lined up.

To be fair that's probably normal practice under the Trumpet.

Well, no.

The evidence suggests that the Trump Administration is not particularly adept at having candidates ready to offer for approval. I think they still have more positions left unfilled than filled after a year in office.

Old 14th March 2018, 08:31 AM   #745
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

The White House does all through it. Classic manual clocks that actually need winding. But that isn't the job of the President's body man. The permanent White House staff does that. In fact, its the job of a single individual to do this.
Old 14th March 2018, 09:36 AM   #746
Henri McPhee
Illuminator

Israel is at war with Iran and Trump is a pal of Netanyahu.
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2018, 09:38 AM   #747
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

As of this past Sunday;

microwave #1

microwave #2

stove clock

coffee maker

three clocks in bedroom

two clocks in bathrooms

three clocks on three indoor/outdoor thermometers

two blood pressure monitors

central HVAC thermostat

my watch

both cars

There's probably others which I have overlooked and will notice sometime in an indeterminate future when I wonder why I'm suddenly running an hour behind somehow.

Our phone system would also have needed to be adjusted, but a while back, for some reason which is a complete mystery to me, it decided it was going to keep itself on GMT regardless of how I tried to convince it to stay in the same time zone as the rest of the house. I fear some sort of Anglophile virus, which isn't beyond the realm of the possible, since it's made by Panasonic, and those Japs are notorious Anglophiles.

The cable boxes, smartphones, tablets, computers, etc. have all managed to update themselves appropriately, but I'm keeping a close eye on them, just in case that Anglophile virus manages to jump over.
If catsmate is on Europe, then the wall clocks probably set themselves, since there is a radio signal they receive telling then the proper time.

At least, that's how it was in the Netherlands. We don't have that service in the States.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2018, 09:46 AM   #748
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
If catsmate is on Europe, then the wall clocks probably set themselves, since there is a radio signal they receive telling then the proper time.

At least, that's how it was in the Netherlands. We don't have that service in the States.
Actually, you can, depending. They're called atomic clocks, and they pick up radio signals from timekeeping services in the U.S. It's just not the standard for all clocks.

Heck, you can even get wristwatches that do it.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2018, 09:59 AM   #749
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Actually, you can, depending. They're called atomic clocks, and they pick up radio signals from timekeeping services in the U.S. It's just not the standard for all clocks.

Heck, you can even get wristwatches that do it.
Ok, I didn't realize this. In the Netherlands, such clocks seem the default rather than the exception. I was a bit confused when I realized that my newly purchased kitchen clock had no dial to set it.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2018, 11:42 AM   #750
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I'm guessing he's scared of the 25th Amendment.
That might not help. The 25th Admendment has a provision for a committee appointed by Congress to remove the President as well as his cabinent

Quote:
Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2018, 11:45 AM   #751
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And Mattis has a nice job at the Hoover Institute Think Tank waiting for him.
Stanford is much nicer place then the White House right about now....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2018, 11:49 AM   #752
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
By all indications, this thread's about to blow up!
CNN has their say
You probably can't get decent odds on any of these guys.
In a normal administration, Zinke and Pruitt would have been gone because they had become a embarrassment. Aside from the petty ante corruption, they were too blatent and attracting too much attention to what they are doing. You need to keep a low profile when you are screwing the public.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 14th March 2018, 12:28 PM   #753
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Do you think Donny can set clocks by himself if he is the last one left standing?
Old 14th March 2018, 12:57 PM   #754
TheSupermeerkat
Muse

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Do you think Donny can set clocks by himself if he is the last one left standing?

Nah! He’d start ranting about daylight saving time on twitter being fake news or something.
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2018, 03:29 PM   #755
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Sure we do. Been around for decades.

And if I wanted to replace my perfectly serviceable alarm clocks and watches with significantly more expensive models which might not even include the features I prefer then I could have them too.

I expect that there are also microwaves, coffee makers, stoves, etc. with that capability which can be also be obtained. I also expect that the cost difference would be prohibitive on our budget. Not least because the ones we have work just fine for their intended purpose. Especially compared to the relatively minor inconvenience of resetting them twice a year or after the rare, occasional power outage.

Not ready to replace my cars, for much the same reasons.

Out of curiosity, Are all of your kitchen appliances which have clocks equipped to keep their times updated by radio signal? Every single clock in your house? All your watches? Your thermostat?

Old 14th March 2018, 05:23 PM   #756
ddt
Mafia Penguin

You do, it's called WWVB. And while we have in (mainland) Europe the DCF77 signal, I don't think I have a single clock that uses it. My computers keep their time on NTP, my cell phone on the phone network time, my HD recorder on the Teletext time of the TV channel, I have to adjust the time myself on my bedroom alarm clock, and the clock on my oven has been blinking now for a couple of years since the last outage because I really don't see the sense why an oven would need a clock.

That radio signal was once a cute idea, but these days, I'd prefer a device to simply have net connectivity and keep its time off NTP.
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2018, 05:28 PM   #757
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Well, no.

The evidence suggests that the Trump Administration is not particularly adept at having candidates ready to offer for approval. I think they still have more positions left unfilled than filled after a year in office.
No but for the position of CIA boss, he found the perfect match: the illegitimate love child of Klaus Barbie:
Quote:
The Republican senator Rand Paul said on Wednesday he would oppose Donald Trump’s nomination of Gina Haspel for director of the CIA, accusing her of having shown “joyful glee” during the torture of terrorism suspects.
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2018, 05:59 PM   #758
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
No but for the position of CIA boss, he found the perfect match: the illegitimate love child of Klaus Barbie:

Yeah, but I don't expect her to last.

I mean, aside from little character flaws like being a bloodthirsty sadist, she's liable to actually be competent at the job.

That's the Kiss Of Death in the Trump Administration.

Old 14th March 2018, 08:05 PM   #759
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, but I don't expect her to last.

I mean, aside from little character flaws like being a bloodthirsty sadist, she's liable to actually be competent at the job.

That's the Kiss Of Death in the Trump Administration.
I'd add that she's also likely to have the support of the institution she's in charge of, which makes her a potential threat. What Trump wants are people who are entirely dependent on his good favour - just like many a Roman Emperor or King of France.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2018, 03:31 AM   #760
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Sure we do. Been around for decades.

And if I wanted to replace my perfectly serviceable alarm clocks and watches with significantly more expensive models which might not even include the features I prefer then I could have them too.

I expect that there are also microwaves, coffee makers, stoves, etc. with that capability which can be also be obtained. I also expect that the cost difference would be prohibitive on our budget. Not least because the ones we have work just fine for their intended purpose. Especially compared to the relatively minor inconvenience of resetting them twice a year or after the rare, occasional power outage.

Not ready to replace my cars, for much the same reasons.

Out of curiosity, Are all of your kitchen appliances which have clocks equipped to keep their times updated by radio signal? Every single clock in your house? All your watches? Your thermostat?
Well my thermostat was updated over the internet. But I set my microwave, range, alarm clock 3 year old cars clock and so on.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics