ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags phone masts

Old 25th July 2007, 04:35 AM   #1
Alan G
Student

Phone mast allergy 'in the mind'

Can't post links yet. BBC Health section is just reporting the results of a study into people who claim to be sensitive to signals such as mobile phone masts, phones, wifi etc.

"Mobile phone masts are not responsible for the symptoms of ill health some blame them for, a major UK study says.

Dozens of people who believed the masts trigger symptoms such as anxiety, nausea and tiredness were unable to detect if signals were on or off."

From the description on the BBC it seems like a pretty good double blind study and the results were as expected.

2/44 "sensitive" individuals detected all 6 signals.
5/144 control subjects detected all 6 signals.

If someone who can post links can track down more info on the study it may be of interest.
Alan G is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2007, 04:43 AM   #2
Lothian
should be banned

Something is going on at the Beeb. Last night I watched a program that ran a trial comparing detox diets to a control group eating normally. I don’t think the result would surprise anyone here.

Here is your link

The study

Last edited by Lothian; 25th July 2007 at 04:49 AM.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2007, 07:16 AM   #3
richardm
Philosopher

Double-blind tests be damned - "DON'T YOU TELL ME WHAT I FEEL" bleat copper-veil wearing nutjobs:

Originally Posted by Anti-Mobile phone mast pressure group Mast Sanity
"history has shown that many now commonly accepted physical conditions were initially dismissed as psychological".
"Isn't it time that the government woke up to the reality of electrosensitivity instead of attempting to persuade sufferers that it is all in their minds?" said spokeswoman Yasmin Skelt.
Rimmer: Look at her! Magnificent woman! Very prim, very proper, almost austere. Some people took her for cold, thought she was aloof. Not a bit of it. She just despised fools. Quite tragic, really, because otherwise I think we'd have got on famously.
richardm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2007, 07:26 AM   #4
volatile
Scholar and a Gentleman

Hasn't Randi claimed that people who claim to be sensitive to this type of 'radiation' are eligible for the MDC? Maybe an email to Yasmin Skelt at Mast Sanity might yield interesting results?
Old 25th July 2007, 07:38 AM   #5
volatile
Scholar and a Gentleman

My effort, sent to their press office:

Quote:
Dear Sir / Madam,

I read with interest your comments on Professor Fox's recent Environmental Health Perspectives study into the supposed effects of 3G and GSM radiation. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6914492.stm)

It might interest you to know that if, as you maintain, your organisation knows people who can definitively sense whether a 3G or GSM device is switched on better than chance, they are eligible to win a US$1 million prize from the James Randi Educational Foundation. Further information at http://www.newswireless.net/index.cfm/article/3393 and http://www.randi.org/research/index.html.

It is obvious you know more than a handful of people who are, apparently, very severely affected by this type of radiation, and it should be very, very easy for anyone with this affliction to pass Randi's simple tests and pocket the million.

Might I suggest your organisation apply? You certainly pass the test's media profile clause, and the publicity and the cash will surely help your organisation in its aims.

Regards,

M. Lodder
Old 25th July 2007, 07:50 AM   #6
sophia8
Master Poster

Originally Posted by volatile View Post
Hasn't Randi claimed that people who claim to be sensitive to this type of 'radiation' are eligible for the MDC?
Almost certainly not. But several posters here have suggested it in previous threads.
Personally, I don't think that it's eligible for the MDC, since it's supporters claim it's an entirely physical phenomenon, with no supernatural elements.
"Nature is floods and famines and earthquakes and viruses and little blue-footed booby babies getting their brains pecked out by their stronger siblings! ....Nature doesn't care about me, or about anybody in particular - nature can be terrifying! Why do they even put words like 'natural' on products like shampoo, like it's automatically a good thing? I mean, sulfuric acid is natural!" -Julia Sweeney
sophia8 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2007, 07:54 AM   #7
volatile
Scholar and a Gentleman

Originally Posted by sophia8 View Post
Almost certainly not. But several posters here have suggested it in previous threads.
Personally, I don't think that it's eligible for the MDC, since it's supporters claim it's an entirely physical phenomenon, with no supernatural elements.
Well, check the NewsWireless link above, and the email I got from Randi just now (I BCC'd him in):

Originally Posted by Randi
I predict that you'll get the usual "there's no prize" or "we don't want the
money" responses. These people just won't step forward...

James Randi.
I'd say, and it seems Randi is saying, that if Mast Sanity could produce just one person with the severe sensitivity they claim, they'd win the prize.
Old 25th July 2007, 07:55 AM   #8
Niobe
Sons of Dis

Yes but they would be able to "sense" a mobile phone in a box being on or off with a higher success rate than chance.

Claiming it's physical doesn't change anything, since people claim the same for some clairvoyant skills.
Niobe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2007, 08:35 AM   #9
BlackKat
Path Crosser

Sadly... the BBC World Service radio has again (just now 7/25) gone on about this phone mast crap. The sad thing is the story is like 6 minutes long with 15 seconds devoted to some professor's badly recorded blurb saying it's placebo effect. That's a pretty poor ratio.

I really love listening to the BBC but this is breaking my heart.
BlackKat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2007, 08:41 AM   #10
strathmeyer
Master Poster

I recently went out to a new cell phone tower to do some service work. A nearby farmer approached me and said, "You people are monsters, I've been having headaches ever since this thing was built." "I have some really bad news for you, then," I replied. "I'm here to turn it on."
strathmeyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2007, 08:44 AM   #11
Pipirr
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by strathmeyer View Post
I recently went out to a new cell phone tower to do some service work. A nearby farmer approached me and said, "You people are monsters, I've been having headaches ever since this thing was built." "I have some really bad news for you, then," I replied. "I'm here to turn it on."

Pipirr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2007, 08:50 AM   #12
richardm
Philosopher

Originally Posted by strathmeyer View Post
"I'm here to turn it on."
Priceless
Rimmer: Look at her! Magnificent woman! Very prim, very proper, almost austere. Some people took her for cold, thought she was aloof. Not a bit of it. She just despised fools. Quite tragic, really, because otherwise I think we'd have got on famously.
richardm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2007, 08:52 AM   #13
Oualawouzou
Critical Thinker

It's been said times and times again, but it bears repeating: how someone describes its own powers/abilities/thingamabob has absolutely no bearings on weither or not they are eligible for the MDC. The final word on what is considered "paranormal" for the needs of the test belongs to Randi, and his position is (in all the cases I've read about) firmly in line with the scientific consensus.
Oualawouzou is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2007, 09:44 AM   #14
-Fran-
Master Poster

Originally Posted by strathmeyer
I recently went out to a new cell phone tower to do some service work. A nearby farmer approached me and said, "You people are monsters, I've been having headaches ever since this thing was built." "I have some really bad news for you, then," I replied. "I'm here to turn it on."D
*LOL*
Old 25th July 2007, 09:52 AM   #15
FarSideOfTheMoon
Critical Thinker

If we took away all the phone masts and electricity pylons, I wonder what people would then blame for their ills and aches.
FarSideOfTheMoon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2007, 09:54 AM   #16
-Fran-
Master Poster

Originally Posted by FarSideOfTheMoon View Post
If we took away all the phone masts and electricity pylons, I wonder what people would then blame for their ills and aches.
Earth's magnetic field?
Old 25th July 2007, 10:49 AM   #17
Invidious
Thinker

Vaccines and fluoridated water. And maybe indoor plumbing.
Invidious is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2007, 11:27 AM   #18
tsg
Philosopher

Multliple Chemical Sensitivity.

Or perhaps, the lack of technology to cure them.

In the beginning there was nothing. And the Lord said "Let There Be Light!" And still there was nothing, but at least now you could see it.
tsg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2007, 01:32 PM   #19
eir_de_scania
Thinker

Amalgam fillings? They were all the rage some years ago, people getting all kinds of weird symptoms and harassing their dentist for plastic fillings instead. I haven't heard about them for ages, now it is all about radiation. Perhaps time for a revival?
eir_de_scania is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal