IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old Yesterday, 02:54 PM   #1
Magrat
Mrs. Rincewind

National Rape Day

Evidently, there is a hoax wandering the internet (particularly TikTok) claiming April 24th is National Rape Day and it is legal on that day to commit sexual assault. Furthermore, now many many people are frightened and planning to barricade themselves indoors like the Purge.

A link

I'm posting this here instead of in the Conspiracy Theories section because I wanted to discuss why some men think this is a reasonable thing to threaten. This particular instance is evidently a hoax, but it is not at all unusual for a man/boy to wish a woman to be raped, or say she ought to be. I've experienced it myself in less civilized forums than the ISF.

a link about rape culture

Is rape culture a thing, is the "West" in one, how do we fix it if yes, what can we do differently, so on and so forth.

Magrat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:02 PM   #2
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Magrat View Post
Evidently, there is a hoax wandering the internet (particularly TikTok) claiming April 24th is National Rape Day and it is legal on that day to commit sexual assault. Furthermore, now many many people are frightened and planning to barricade themselves indoors like the Purge.

A link

I'm posting this here instead of in the Conspiracy Theories section because I wanted to discuss why some men think this is a reasonable thing to threaten. This particular instance is evidently a hoax, but it is not at all unusual for a man/boy to wish a woman to be raped, or say she ought to be. I've experienced it myself in less civilized forums than the ISF.

Is rape culture a thing, is the "West" in one, how do we fix it if yes, what can we do differently, so on and so forth.
Sime links to this happening so commonly please.

Thanks

On the day thing it is obviously going to be some teenager who thought it would be funny.

As usual a heap of people get over sensitive about a stupid bad joke, they spread it all over the internet, it will probably end up getting into world media, the kids ego will be stroked, and next week no one will remember it ever happened till the next teenager thinks something equally as stupid would be funny to get everyone into angry about.

2007 https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna16911044
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:18 PM   #3
Magrat
Mrs. Rincewind

According to a 2017 report from Amnesty International, 27% of women in the United Kingdom had received "direct or indirect threats of physical or sexual violence" and 47% reported receiving "sexist or misogynistic abuse". quoted from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_threat.

Nearly about a third of all woman have been threatened with rape and half have experienced sexist abuse. I suspect, from personal experience and speaking to other women, it is a lot more than that number, but even if we use the 27 percent, that's "often" enough, is it not?

Magrat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:38 PM   #4
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

What makes rape threats more interesting than other threats of violence?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:39 PM   #5
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

It would help if you could break down the number of rape threats from the physical violence.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:54 PM   #6
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

A link

I only heard about this second hand, was it a reaction to the equally stupid 'curfew for men' posts?

It's awful and honestly i would support criminal convictions for anyone spreading or supporting this crap.

People are awful, especially on the internet. The only slightly mitigating thing I can say is that people tend to say the thing they think will hurt or offend the most whether it's being raped, getting cancer or your dick falling off. I don't imagine for a second that all those 'i hope you get raped' comments are coming from potential rapists but it's still pretty awful nonetheless.
Old Yesterday, 03:54 PM   #7
Magrat
Mrs. Rincewind

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
It would help if you could break down the number of rape threats from the physical violence.
That statistic doesn't seem to be available. If you're a woman and you have a male person larger than you threatening you with physical violence specifically because you're a woman, I'm not entirely sure the psychological impact is that much different if he specifies wanting to rape you, or leaves to your imagination what he intends to do. The point is we have about 1/3 of women reporting men threatening them with physical violence because they are women. Regardless if he says he wants to rape you or not, it would be unlikely there isn't a sexual element of that action. Misogyny is rooted in sex. A misogynist often, possibly even "usually", sees women as a necessary evil. Maddonna/Whore; "don't wear short skirts to church and lead your brothers into temptation"; "your bra strap is showing and distracting the boys".

Old Yesterday, 03:58 PM   #8
Magrat
Mrs. Rincewind

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
. I don't imagine for a second that all those 'i hope you get raped' comments are coming from potential rapists but it's still pretty awful nonetheless.
I have a kid who is female to male transgender, so I have an unusual window into how differently females and males are treated in the exact same online interactions. Comments made to an apparently female player in a game will almost always be sexually charged, sexually violent, graphic, and disgusting. Also they are often much more persistent in trying to "get to you". My son even showed me one day, by simply changing his name and avatar, how differently other players spoke to him.

Our experience is neither new nor unusual, other than that we got to see both sides so readily.

This comes from somewhere. Boys treat girls how they have seen men treat women. Where are they seeing it?

Old Yesterday, 04:02 PM   #9
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

That statistic doesn't seem to be available. If you're a woman and you have a male person larger than you threatening you with physical violence specifically because you're a woman, I'm not entirely sure the psychological impact is that much different if he specifies wanting to rape you, or leaves to your imagination what he intends to do. The point is we have about 1/3 of women reporting men threatening them with physical violence because they are women. Regardless if he says he wants to rape you or not, it would be unlikely there isn't a sexual element of that action. Misogyny is rooted in sex. A misogynist often, possibly even "usually", sees women as a necessary evil. Maddonna/Whore; "don't wear short skirts to church and lead your brothers into temptation"; "your bra strap is showing and distracting the boys".
If it's any comfort, and I suspect it isn't, then the people who try to resolve their issues with women through violence also tend to try to resolve their issues with men through violence. It's actively encouraged in some quarters.

I really wish I had a good answer as to how to resolve it, my fear is that telling these guys not to do that isn't really effective. A more creative solution is needed but I'm not coming up with one.
Old Yesterday, 04:04 PM   #10
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I've thought about this for a while and I'd like to know as well. I was bullied in middle school but I'm not sure whether being groped would be more serious. I think there's an element of extra moral disgust when sex is involved.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:12 PM   #11
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Assumptions:

People threaten each other with violence all the time.

Rape is a kind of violence.

Rape is more often practiced by men against women because of size and strength differences, than vice versa.

Most men are heterosexual.

Hypothesis:

Therefore, we should expect that a significant percentage of threats of violence by men directed at women would be threats of rape.

We should not expect men to threaten each other with rape to the same degree. Instead, we should expect male-male threats of violence to take other forms.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:13 PM   #12
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

I have a kid who is female to male transgender, so I have an unusual window into how differently females and males are treated in the exact same online interactions. Comments made to an apparently female player in a game will almost always be sexually charged, sexually violent, graphic, and disgusting. Also they are often much more persistent in trying to "get to you". My son even showed me one day, by simply changing his name and avatar, how differently other players spoke to him.

Our experience is neither new nor unusual, other than that we got to see both sides so readily.

This comes from somewhere. Boys treat girls how they have seen men treat women. Where are they seeing it?
I got to agree with you on that stuff. I have seen how women are treated in games and it's pretty much always sexualised. Some women just embrace it and others I can imagine get made to feel pretty uncomfortable.

I'm trying to choose my words because on one hand i think its a really complex topic about why people act in that way but i dont want to come across as saying that its complex to whether its OK or not.

If I look at this specific example my sense is that the driver for it is this backlash that is going on against being politically correct, and having to behave the way society says you have to behave...and what better way to make a point of it than saying the most terrible thing.

But i also know there are going to be people joining in who have a much more sinister reasoning.

As I say it's awful. But I also think its reflective of a greater awful if that's any consolation.
Old Yesterday, 04:16 PM   #13
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I've thought about this for a while and I'd like to know as well. I was bullied in middle school but I'm not sure whether being groped would be more serious. I think there's an element of extra moral disgust when sex is involved.
You're not sure if having your lunch money stolen or being anally raped would have been worse?

Really?
Old Yesterday, 04:42 PM   #14
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

If I look at this specific example my sense is that the driver for it is this backlash that is going on against being politically correct, and having to behave the way society says you have to behave...and what better way to make a point of it than saying the most terrible thing.

But i also know there are going to be people joining in who have a much more sinister reasoning.
I don't know that the first line of reasoning represents any less sinister a thought process than something perhaps a bit more grounded in intention. Pushback against "political correctness" is predicated upon political correctness supposedly being "unreasonable" in its demands on peoples' behavior; but in what kind of person's mind does women requesting not to be sexually harassed or threatened with rape become an "unreasonable demand"?
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:45 PM   #15
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I don't know that the first line of reasoning represents any less sinister a thought process than something perhaps a bit more grounded in intention. Pushback against "political correctness" is predicated upon political correctness supposedly being "unreasonable" in its demands on peoples' behavior; but in what kind of person's mind does women requesting not to be sexually harassed or threatened with rape become an "unreasonable demand"?
I've had this hypothesis about online rage-baiters for a long time. Tell everyone that the n-word is super duper offensive, and you're going to get a lot of people using the n-word as their go-to trigger word online. Not because they're actually racist at all, but just because they're trolls and you've told them what the most effective trolling is.
Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM   #16
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I just think there is a difference between 'FFS Everything is becoming too PC these days I'm going to go online and advocate for the worst thing i can think of' vs 'i actually think it's OK to rape women'

I mean neither are good.. but one's worse... right?
Old Yesterday, 05:23 PM   #17
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I think the big problem now is the word has been taken and is used by idiot teenage gamers, to mean "owned" or "beat them badly" or whatever, so it is has kind of lost it's impact as a term among the younger generation.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comme...e_to_describe/

Doesn't help when you have isiots like our idiot bloke either.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport...pe-threat.html

Old Yesterday, 05:40 PM   #18
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

I've had this hypothesis about online rage-baiters for a long time. Tell everyone that the n-word is super duper offensive, and you're going to get a lot of people using the n-word as their go-to trigger word online. Not because they're actually racist at all, but just because they're trolls and you've told them what the most effective trolling is.
I'm not sure the distinction that they "aren't actually racist" is useful. Denigrating another race in order to be a jerk is still engaging in racist behavior.

I don't really care if they identify as a racist. They're doing the same harm.

A slogan from They Might Be Giants: "Can't shake the devil's hand and say you're only kidding."

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:42 PM   #19
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

I've often heard this argument but I don't find it compelling. Or rather, I don't believe it can accurately describe any person except for a very young child who has just learned a racial slur and is in the very specific situation of having learned that they shouldn't use it against a Black person but somehow hasn't yet learned why they shouldn't. Aside from that particular scenario I don't think what you describe can actually exist other than as a hypothetical postulation.

Perhaps it's better a discussion for a different thread; but I do not agree that there can possibly be such a thing as a chain of logic that allows a non-racist person to consider the fact of another person's race to be even eligible as vector of attack on another person - even if the motivation is purely provocation for its own sake - let alone that allows a decision to use that vector.

I think the notion that openly racist statements and acts can be committed by non-racist people with non-racist motives purely to make people angry was invented as an excuse by very-definitely racist trolls who either need to internally-rationalize their behavior or want to avoid the social consequences of expressing their authentically-held positions and beliefs.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:58 PM   #20
Venom
Illuminator

You're not sure if having your lunch money stolen or being anally raped would have been worse?

Really?
Hmm I kind of looked past the rape part.

Disregard the the comparison.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:05 PM   #21
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Rape? Uh, no thanks.

MUCH prefer enthusiastic cooperation.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:08 PM   #22
Belz...
Fiend God

According to a 2017 report from Amnesty International, 27% of women in the United Kingdom had received "direct or indirect threats of physical or sexual violence" and 47% reported receiving "sexist or misogynistic abuse". quoted from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_threat.

Nearly about a third of all woman have been threatened with rape and half have experienced sexist abuse. I suspect, from personal experience and speaking to other women, it is a lot more than that number, but even if we use the 27 percent, that's "often" enough, is it not?
That's not the claim cullennz was asking support for, though. Perhaps you just misspoke, but your post implies that many men want women to get raped.

I find that unlikely.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:11 PM   #23
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

The absolute worst form of trolling is sending me large amounts of money. I hate that so much, I do hope it doesn't happen any more.
Old Yesterday, 06:35 PM   #24
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Has any body ever polled men?

I have certainly turned done several women's unwanted advances. Am I a victim of "Sexual Abuse"? I What if I was drunk at the time? I guess I was date-raped many times.

How about it guys, got any tally of being a "victim" by the modern definition of "sexual abuse"?
Old Yesterday, 06:38 PM   #25
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
The absolute worst form of trolling is sending me large amounts of money. I hate that so much, I do hope it doesn't happen any more.
(Mwa ha ha ha. He'll rage so much!!)

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:38 PM   #26
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by casebro View Post

I have certainly turned done several women's unwanted advances. Am I a victim of "Sexual Abuse"? I What if I was drunk at the time? I guess I was date-raped many times.

How about it guys, got any tally of being a "victim" by the modern definition of "sexual abuse"?
Er... zero for me but... how does this relate to the OP? Are they using some weird definitions, according to you?

Old Yesterday, 07:17 PM   #27
Venom
Illuminator

Assumptions:

People threaten each other with violence all the time.

Rape is a kind of violence.

Rape is more often practiced by men against women because of size and strength differences, than vice versa.

Most men are heterosexual.

Hypothesis:

Therefore, we should expect that a significant percentage of threats of violence by men directed at women would be threats of rape.

We should not expect men to threaten each other with rape to the same degree. Instead, we should expect male-male threats of violence to take other forms.
That's a nice way of thinking about it.

I think there's a more visceral outrage people feel about rape though that makes it somewhat special as you put it.
Old Yesterday, 07:18 PM   #28
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Er... zero for me but... how does this relate to the OP? Are they using some weird definitions, according to you?
My take on the OP, as on Darat's recent thread along the same lines, is that it amounts to question-begging and special pleading.
Old Yesterday, 07:30 PM   #29
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
That's a nice way of thinking about it.

I think there's a more visceral outrage people feel about rape though that makes it somewhat special as you put it.
That's not how I put it at all though.
Old Yesterday, 07:50 PM   #30
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Sime links to this happening so commonly please.

Thanks

On the day thing it is obviously going to be some teenager who thought it would be funny.

As usual a heap of people get over sensitive about a stupid bad joke, they spread it all over the internet, it will probably end up getting into world media, the kids ego will be stroked, and next week no one will remember it ever happened till the next teenager thinks something equally as stupid would be funny to get everyone into angry about.
Just as well as you never get triggered by anything.
Sideroxylon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:24 PM   #31
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Just as well as you never get triggered by anything.
Personally think that is a pretty horrible label to put on people simply getting a bit over sensitive about what is an obviously emotive topic, but if you want to call people that, then that is your perogative.

Old Yesterday, 08:25 PM   #32
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

My take on the OP, as on Darat's recent thread along the same lines, is that it amounts to question-begging and special pleading.
Because it seems from your postings that you fail to distinguish the difference between being punched in the face and being sodomized.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:54 PM   #33
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

it is not at all unusual for a man/boy to wish a woman to be raped, or say she ought to be. I've experienced it myself in less civilized forums than the ISF.
Some links to this happening so commonly please.

27% of women in the United Kingdom had received "direct or indirect threats of physical or sexual violence"... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_threat.
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
That's not the claim cullennz was asking support for, though. Perhaps you just misspoke, but your post implies that many men want women to get raped.
"It's not unusual" does not specify which end of the interaction it refers to. The number or proportion of people who do something can be pretty small while that behavior still gets experienced sooner or later by a large number or proportion of the population, simply because we all encounter many different people throughout our lives, or possibly even per day depending on circumstances. One rainbow-haired girl spending her afternoon sticking tiny shiny star stickers on other people is just one person, but the result is that a lot more than one person end up having met her and been offered a tiny shiny star sticker by the time she's done (and probably a than one accept and end up walking away wearing tiny shiny stars), because of one person. Whatever you do repeatedly, the people who interact with you and are on the receiving end of your behavior outnumber you, the person doing it. The asymmetry is just built in to how individual behaviors in large groups work.

Boys treat girls how they have seen men treat women. Where are they seeing it?
The first sentence there is too narrow. People do not need such specific examples to learn from. The tendency to define an insider group and an outsider group, and treat the two differently, is built in, and the groups can end up being defined by any criteria, with or without specific examples to mimic in each separate case.

It appears to be a quite different phenomenon. For one thing, it's primarily experienced not only by the other gender but also by an older age group (young adults instead of middle-schoolers). It also, in the stories I've heard, tends to be a parting shot between people who will probably never see each other again, rather than part of an ongoing campaign between people who see each other fairly routinely because of things like school schedules. But the biggest difference to me is that it tends to call for a vague third party to do it, instead of the speaker talking about doing it himself (regardless of whether he ever follows through). It's "I hope this happens to you" or "this should happen to you" instead of "I'm going to do this to you" (or even just starting to try to do it without announcing it first).

Why would person X want somebody to do something to person Y but not want to be the person who actually does it? That makes it not a personal desire but an abstract concept: something that is expected to have positive results in some way other than benefiting the person who's talking about it, since the third-party angle eliminates that possibility.

One paradigm that fits at least some cases is punishment. Nearly everybody agrees that it's good to have courts & prisons, but most people don't apply for jobs in prisons or go to law school; we're content to let others handle it. And in every "somebody should rape you" story I've heard, it was in response to the target having said/done something that the speaker thought she shouldn't, on the subject of sex/sexuality (such as rejecting the speaker, telling him/her she's a lesbian, or wearing allegedly revealing clothes). So maybe in some cases it's saying a misdeed should be punished in a manner consistent with the nature of the misdeed itself.

But there are other cases in which that doesn't fit; they're talking about it bringing about some kind of improvement in the victim's outlook on life (and thus his/her behavior), not suffering. One type of example includes people saying things like that sex/rape (not necessarily always specifying which one) "would do you good" such as by "loosening you up" if you/she is too stiff & prudish & "wound too tight" (similar to when my friends tell me they want to see what how I'd act if I were drunk/high). Other examples include "romance" novels in which the main character falls in love with her rapist and a James Bond movie in which he alters the (lesbian) villain's personality & behavior by raping her. The strangest-sounding example I've seen was a woman telling men they/we should rape lesbians, not to punish them or make them suffer, but to help/cure them by giving them the experience of what the right kind of sex can be like; she used the phrase "dick is life". The general idea here appears to be based on the positive effects that sex can actually have on one's perspective, with a failure to distinguish between sex and rape as if the positive effects were based entirely on physiology and not psychology, resulting in thinking that a person can be forced to involuntarily experience the same positive effects as if it had been by choice. In this paradigm, wishing for somebody to do that to you is wishing for you to get the help you need with your problem as the speaker sees it, so your behavior will then improve, like a patient getting medical treatment (which also can sometimes be imposed against the patient's will). This, like the idea that it's about punishment, would also explain why it tends to come as a response to something the target did/said regarding sex/sexuality; in this case, the target's behavior that is being reacted to is being perceived not as a misdeed to punish, but as a symptom to alleviate.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:34 PM   #34
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

It's informal and I never statistically analyze the results, but as a teacher I do ask my classes during sex-ed to answer the question 'have you ever been approached in any way you find uncomfortable at random'.
There is the occasional boy that answers yes (usually those openly out as gay), and the occasional girl that answers no.
This is with 15-16 year olds, so at that age, at least in the Netherlands and in my classes most girls have experienced some form of sexual harrassment.

I ask the question with the class separated by sex at the time, then ask them how much they think the other sex answers yes. The girls are pretty accurate in assuming the answer for boys is low, but the boys think this doesn't happen that often.
Lukraak_Sisser is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:56 PM   #35
dann
Penultimate Amazing

I wanted to discuss why some men think this is a reasonable thing to threaten.

Some men not only think it's a reasonable thing to threaten. Some men think it's a reasonable thing to do. Other men come up with excuses for it, total fabrications like 'situational callousness', for instance: What makes some people want to have sex with unwilling 'partners'?
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:08 AM   #36
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Some men not only think it's a reasonable thing to threaten. Some men think it's a reasonable thing to do. Other men come up with excuses for it, total fabrications like 'situational callousness', for instance: What makes some people want to have sex with unwilling 'partners'?
Sorry, but while there are obviously rapists, in my entire existence on this planet I have never once heard anyone apart from maybe one nutter I meet 20 odd years ago, try to come up with excuses for rape.

These claims are easy to throw around.

Try posting actual stats of blokes excusing rapists. Because to be frank, otherwise your claims just look like hysterical bollocks based on some inner dislike/mistrust of men in general. (this might be a biased gauge from me of whatever point you are trying to make)

Edit: If it helps I am staying at home tonight watching TV, so there is one less obviously potential rapist to have to fear.

Last edited by cullennz; Today at 12:10 AM.
Old Today, 12:11 AM   #37
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

Originally Posted by Lukraak_Sisser View Post
...the question 'have you ever been approached in any way you find uncomfortable at random'.
Originally Posted by Lukraak_Sisser View Post
most girls have experienced some form of sexual harrassment.
You treated these as the same thing. They are not.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:45 AM   #38
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
You treated these as the same thing. They are not.
Or I translated wrong from dutch.

THe question is : Ben jij ooit op een manier aangesproken of betast die jij over je persoonlijke grens vindt gaan.

A literal translation: have you ever been spoken to or touched in a way you found crossing your personal boundaries.

And yes, I do consider wolf whistles, grabbing someone's butt and all the other 'innocent' things to be sexual harrassment.
Lukraak_Sisser is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:55 AM   #39
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

TBH the "wolf whistle thing should really be put to rest as an example now. I doubt any one has heard one since the 90's to the point of most young people probably not even know what it means.

And as an aside. How was it an "assault" even when idiots used to do it.

I have been down Courtney Place and a whistle would be tame compared to what girls these days throw at dudes.

Admittedly I live in a Uni' city and the street is full of young ******* people of both sexes

Old Today, 01:01 AM   #40
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Figures are available, don’t know why you think they aren’t.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events