ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags historical mysteries

Reply
Old 1st July 2020, 12:46 PM   #121
dann
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 11,643
Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
There is no evidence that the bigfoots were radioactive.

But only some of their clothes were radioactive, i.e. the ones that were undressed by the radioactive pack of Bigfoots!!! There is no other logical explanation.

And one more thing: They were obviously killed by a Cuban radioactive Bigfoot pack: Dyatlov Pass incident: Infrasound (Wikipedia).
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 02:47 PM   #122
EHocking
Philosopher
 
EHocking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 7,867
Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
So you say. Go ahead, prove they are not!
Well scientists denied the existence of gorillas, so what would they know?
__________________
"A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 02:53 PM   #123
EHocking
Philosopher
 
EHocking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 7,867
Originally Posted by dann View Post
But only some of their clothes were radioactive, i.e. the ones that were undressed by the radioactive pack of Bigfoots!!! There is no other logical explanation.

And one more thing: They were obviously killed by a Cuban radioactive Bigfoot pack: Dyatlov Pass incident: Infrasound (Wikipedia).
<the sound of (rare jungle) crickets>
__________________
"A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 03:35 PM   #124
StillSleepy
Muse
 
StillSleepy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Where the wild goose goes
Posts: 511
Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
So you say. Go ahead, prove they are not!
Not enough banana in the local diet.
__________________
I just want some outdoors left to enjoy. The wild is already artificial enough as it is.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." ~ Patrick F. McManus, “Never Sniff A Gift Fish”
StillSleepy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 04:22 PM   #125
WayneK
Thinker
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 129
Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident

I see that this was looked into about 10 years ago, but I missed it, only reading about the incident on another forum today.

I am hoping someone not already sick of the subject, could give me any idea if the past years have altered opinions or open other possibilities?
It's an interesting mystery. It's been a few years since I have read about it. The best research on it is available only in Russian. Trying to understand it through Google translate is somewhat of a struggle.

The bottom line is that it was likely a fairly routine snow-related disaster. There were a number of other cases where people in the mountains had their tents breached by snow and they ended up scattering into the night and freezing to death.

The mystery lies in trying to put together a detailed re-creation of events based on scanty and sometimes conflicting evidence. When you add a ton of erroneous speculation over many decades, you end up with what appears to be an unsolvable mystery.

Something caused them to abandon their tent in the middle of the night. After that, the result was inevitable as there was not enough wood available to create a fire big enough to keep warm. This has been tested by Russian hikers who have stayed at the site under similar conditions.

There is at least one plausible explanation for abandoning the tent: when they made camp they dug into the snowpack and placed their tents next to several feet of snow immediately uphill. Weather conditions worsened overnight which could have destabilized the thick ice crust on top of the snow, which could have broken loose and slid into the tent, causing the perplexing head injuries, and instilling so much fear of further slippages that they decided to abandon the campsite and flee downhill to try to build a fire.
WayneK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 05:27 PM   #126
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!
 
Mike!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Posts: 36,084
Clearly it was the work of Pogomofo.
__________________
"Never judge a man until you’ve walked a mile in his shoes...
Because then it won't really matter, you’ll be a mile away and have his shoes."
Mike! is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2020, 12:49 AM   #127
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles
 
Dave Rogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cair Paravel, according to XKCD
Posts: 31,006
Elves. They disrespected the elves, so the elves killed them. If you're an Icelander, it's obvious.

Dave
__________________
Inspiring discussion of Sharknado is not a good sign for the audience expectations of your new high-concept SF movie sequel.

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2020, 04:06 AM   #128
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 3,516
Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Clearly it was the work of Pogomofo.
Pogosnowfo.
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2020, 06:30 AM   #129
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing
 
Gord_in_Toronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 19,456
Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
Well scientists denied the existence of gorillas, so what would they know?
Gorillas? Gorillas? You believe in those fakes? I bet you believe Australia exists too.
__________________
"Reality is what's left when you cease to believe." Philip K. Dick
Gord_in_Toronto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2020, 06:43 AM   #130
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In a post-fact world
Posts: 90,806
Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
There is no evidence that the bigfoots were radioactive.
Aren't they always?
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2020, 07:47 AM   #131
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 22,520
No. Still tragic but fairly mundane.
The most plausible explanation is a small avalanche, or noises suggestive of one, caused the hikers to flee their tent. This is supported by the damage to the tent and it's partial coverage with snow. Poorly equipped, disorientated and suffering the effects of hypothermia (which can kill in less than 15 minutes) the party wouldn't have survived long, with the four found in the wood having fallen into the ravine.
It's also likely that a psychological phenomena called paradoxical undressing was involved; hypothermia effects the judgment and sufferers sometimes do irrational things like undressing, even in the deadly cold.
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2020, 03:45 PM   #132
EHocking
Philosopher
 
EHocking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 7,867
Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Gorillas? Gorillas? You believe in those fakes? I bet you believe Australia exists too.
<looks around, stares at feet, checks GPS and FindMyyPhone>

Ooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh !!!!!!!!!!!!!! ????????????
__________________
"A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2020, 05:41 AM   #133
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 25,485
Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
No. Still tragic but fairly mundane.
The most plausible explanation is a small avalanche, or noises suggestive of one, caused the hikers to flee their tent. This is supported by the damage to the tent and it's partial coverage with snow. Poorly equipped, disorientated and suffering the effects of hypothermia (which can kill in less than 15 minutes) the party wouldn't have survived long, with the four found in the wood having fallen into the ravine.
It's also likely that a psychological phenomena called paradoxical undressing was involved; hypothermia effects the judgment and sufferers sometimes do irrational things like undressing, even in the deadly cold.

I'm trying to understand what you just wrote. This is what I am reading...

There was an avalanche that scared people out of a tent. (And did the avalanche kill them?). When the scene was investigated, a hypothesis was developed about an avalanche being a cause of what was observed in situ. One key piece of evidence allowed this hypothesis to begin looking like a theory, prior to any peer review. That key piece of evidence is this...

Originally Posted by catsmate
the damage to the tent and it's partial coverage with snow

The theory is now ready for any peer review, by anyone at all that reads it, and understands it.

Ladies and gentlemen. Let the Peer Review begin!!!!!
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2020, 10:42 AM   #134
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 25,485
Obviously this automatically creates a perfect 100% accurate mental image (because we actually can't be there).

That imagine shows lives snuffed out by an avalanche of snow, and a tent with some damage and a bit of snow on top. There is a lesson to be learned in this.

Never get out of the tent! Avalanche! Avalanche! Hi, avalanche!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HiAvalanch!.jpg (4.1 KB, 3 views)
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.

Last edited by William Parcher; 4th July 2020 at 10:45 AM.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2020, 11:01 AM   #135
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 25,485
It's difficult to do this without creating genuine 100% accurate mental images (from the exact words written). Never ever anything else no matter what it is. Even logical things must be totally eliminated and cannot ever function as a lead to some thing. The reason is that you cannot assume ANYTHING. You can see a perfect refrigerator running perfectly. But you cannot know ANYTHING about what is inside until you physically open it. The instant anyone tell you what was inside, is the instant that an anecdote was born. You can name the baby anything you want. Most people name the baby, "Evidence." I prefer to call the child, "Anecdote." But don't ever throw that baby out with the bathwater. Both names are pretty, and other kids can either embrace the name or revile the name. It's totally up to them - after all the name itself doesn't change. But the haters already have a plan for that. They change the name to their own suiting. That name then becomes permanent until further notice. That notice is what is called fiat.

Your 100% proof that that is true is something you see so often that it is common. It is always in national news and then, International. What is Parcher talking about?

A white person lost their job instantly. You will have to read the article to find out what could cause such a thing. But then you realize that all these articles are the same and why even look?

Because the ISF needs content.



So, immediately you learn two things.

1) It's actually your very first day of school as a kid who wants to be a skeptic and also wants to think critically. ISF is the perfect place for that.
2) You already are at that school now. But please, just stop slacking. OK?
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.

Last edited by William Parcher; 4th July 2020 at 11:06 AM.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2020, 04:15 PM   #136
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 25,485
I guess I deserve to LOL.

There are lots of books, programs and even movies about this incident, all based on it being a mystery. A real event. But somebody decided that they would turn a normal but tragic event into a mystery. A person can become very wealthy just by telling just one lie. More people become wealthy by adding another edition of their own, adding new tantalizing clues. Once it starts, it can never be stopped. It is literally unstoppable. That's why I always say that Bigfoot is a permanent myth. Full Stop.

The whole thing comes to a screeching halt, when a REAL skeptic using GENUINE critical thing arrives on the scene.

It is so simple. An avalanche that wipes out EVERYONE within seconds, has the kindness and caring to leave the tent with a little damage, and a little snow somewhere up on top.

The TRUE ones are extremely rare. They are actually something to be called one-of-a-kind. Because, it is literally true. The only alternative would be an apple that causes the WHOLE WORLD to insist and argue for that thing to be ANTHING BUT an apple. Anyone who says it is, or might be, could result in immediate dogpiling or death. Always kill a traitor - and apologists are always traitors.

The only guy ON THE ENTIRE PLANET just killed a very old mystery in one sentence. It was the tent. The instant I saw that, I solved the mystery. It didn't require thought at all. It only required reading the tent sentence.

Every one of us was expert at what I did, going all the way even before birth. It's called, "Which one of these is not like the others?"

One thing about a TRUE one (me) is that they are never racist. It can only be formed or demonstrated as mimicry of a REAL racist. I can create that mimicry perfectly. I always feel that I am what I am, and nothing else. A REAL non-racist is AUTOMATICALLY anti-racist. But I can't kill or injure ANYONE at all outside of immediate self-defense. I am an absolute expert at never having that self-defense need, by using de-escalation, with 100% success. To do otherwise, is to beg for the Darwin Award.

Most of the time I'm just a regular guy like everyone here. That is not an act or fakery. You only get William Parcher, every single time. It's a lot of bad and a lot of good, with rare moments of acceptable humor. It's free, and I give it away with extreme pleasure, no matter who you are.

My experience here is strange to me. I can only observe everything as a scientist. So right away, you cannot have ANY bias WHATSOEVER. The only acceptable bias are something like, "I'm just sure that the sun will rise tomorrow." That is allowable bias. I don't judge anyone on what they are - only what they do.

I treat everyone the same. It's only based on what you do, or will do. What you look like doesn't matter. That is never missing because I have perfect senses, but it is only trivia and so it really doesn't matter.

So, I'm a regular guy who is different than all the others in the world. But then that makes me just like you, only just a little different. And that's just like you too, and EVERY person on this planet including those who only "just went for a ride" in space.

Parcher blows a kiss to anyone who reads this. I can't help it and can only stop it deliberately. Just like you.

By the way, most of the people who maintain the Dyatlov myth cannot explain it as anything other than Bigfoot.

I think some of the books contain more lies like Bigfoot tracks and other such lies which are done to poison other minds. The poison is permanent until death. You a are Bigfoot Believer until you die.

Roger Patterson was the world's worst Bigfoot hoaxer. But he already knew that I had not been born yet without even knowing. But here I am now. This is why we have no Bigfoot Believers posting here anymore. It's because I am here. And because I'm only here, Bigfootery is safe anywhere else but here.

If I got face-to-face with Roger Patterson for only a minute - literally only a minute. Bigfootery wouldn't even exist at all. When you cancel PGF, everything else goes right out with it.

Bob Gimlin lied to the world when he announced Patterson's last words. TOTAL LIE. Nice friend, huh. It was probably Patterson's idea to do it.

The whole idea is win-win. The myth is perpetuated and the living friend has steady cash income until he dies.

Patterson knew that Gimlin would get money until he died. He could only know that if he knew the one thing that I have repeated countless times in this forum.

Roger Patterson was ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that Bigfoot cannot exist. That's the only reason for ANY Bigfoot hoax. Full Stop.

I've already said that and constantly. But I was wrong.

The ENTIRETY of Bigfootery is nothing but turtles. All the way down.

Bye. See you soon, if I don't get suspended again first.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2020, 03:55 PM   #137
EHocking
Philosopher
 
EHocking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 7,867
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I guess I deserve to LOL.

<sniparooney for sanity>

Parcher blows a kiss to anyone who reads this. I can't help it and can only stop it deliberately. Just like you.
...
Bye. See you soon, if I don't get suspended again first.
I can’t tell if the recent posts are Poes (Kerouac?) or the meds running out.
WTF did I just read?
__________________
"A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald

Last edited by EHocking; 5th July 2020 at 04:01 PM.
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2020, 05:34 PM   #138
kali1137
Graduate Poster
 
kali1137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Purgatory, PA
Posts: 1,337
Congrats for even reading it. I stopped after the first few sentences.

As for the topic at hand. I went down this rabbit hole a few years ago. I got completely caught up in it and I did read a person's theory that really made sense to me. I will have to go back down the rabbit hole and see if I can find that discussion again.
kali1137 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2020, 10:17 PM   #139
EHocking
Philosopher
 
EHocking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 7,867
Originally Posted by kali1137 View Post
Congrats for even reading it. I stopped after the first few sentences.

As for the topic at hand. I went down this rabbit hole a few years ago. I got completely caught up in it and I did read a person's theory that really made sense to me. I will have to go back down the rabbit hole and see if I can find that discussion again.
Cheers.
With apologies to wasapi for my participation in the derail.
Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident

I see that this was looked into about 10 years ago, but I missed it, only reading about the incident on another forum today.

I am hoping someone not already sick of the subject, could give me any idea if the past years have altered opinions or open other possibilities?
__________________
"A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2020, 11:56 PM   #140
8enotto
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Mexico
Posts: 1,633
The last woo tv " documentary " on this I seen had the Russian military picking up a crashed saucer type craft and noted its skid down the hill to the treeline.

Recreations and all to help us visualuze the idea, original photographs seem to be ultra secret yet.
Another truly incredible theory based on aliens from the ship crashed, some died while others hunted down the kids.

Just another half baked theory slathered in rhe usual sauce of inaccessible secret documents and dead people.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2020, 12:28 AM   #141
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 22,520
Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
The last woo tv " documentary " on this I seen had the Russian military picking up a crashed saucer type craft and noted its skid down the hill to the treeline.

Recreations and all to help us visualuze the idea, original photographs seem to be ultra secret yet.
Another truly incredible theory based on aliens from the ship crashed, some died while others hunted down the kids.

Just another half baked theory slathered in rhe usual sauce of inaccessible secret documents and dead people.
There are plenty of available pictures?
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2020, 09:35 AM   #142
8enotto
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Mexico
Posts: 1,633
The fakementary makers couldn't find them. I didn't bother research efforts on such utter bunk.

Some things are about as informative as watching Scooby Doo cartoons.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2020, 05:09 PM   #143
EHocking
Philosopher
 
EHocking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 7,867
Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
The fakementary makers couldn't find them. I didn't bother research efforts on such utter bunk.

Some things are about as informative as watching Scooby Doo cartoons.
And this is how they got away with it, by murdering those meddling kids.
__________________
"A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2020, 08:27 PM   #144
Venom
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 4,298
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Killed by a Bigfoot pack.
You mean the Abominable snowman.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2020, 11:44 PM   #145
Shuca
Student
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Croatia
Posts: 38
11.7.2020.

Dyatlov Pass incident: Mystery SOLVED as Russia announces cause for bizarre deaths

THE Dyatlov Pass incident that saw nine Russian students perish in strangely horrific ways in the snow of the Ural mountains may have been solved by Russian investigators.

The mysterious event that happened in 1959 has led to numerous conspiracy theories to account for the unexplained deaths. Some theories put forward have included animal attacks, hypothermia, avalanche, katabatic winds, infrasound-induced panic, or even military involvement. But, now a Russian investigation into the matter that was concluded in 2019 has blamed the death of the nine students on an avalanche and poor visibility.

The incident happened 61 years ago to a group of students who had trekked into Russia's Ural mountains and set up camp. It is thought they were startled by something in the midst of the night that caused them to cut through their tents and flee the campsite. The group had cut their way out of their tents and ran to hide at a ridge 50 metres, 164 feet, away. The conclusion made by Soviet officials at the time was that the unexplained deaths may have been caused by "the spontaneous power of nature".

Many injuries were detected on the bodies of the dead students. One student had a fractured skull and broken ribs. Another had missing eyes, while another was missing their tongue. These gruesome findings led to speculation that the students were set upon by a wild animal such as a brown bear.

Because of the singularly unique details of the missing tongue and missing eyeballs, some conspiracy theorists made comparisons between what happened to the students on that fateful night and the unsolved cattle mutilations from UFO lore. Attack by aliens is still one of the leading conspiracy theories to explain the event. However, the latest inquiry has supported the idea of natural causes including an avalanche which forced the group out of their tents to shelter under a nearby ridge. It is thought that lack of visibility then prevented their return which led to hypothermia.

Deputy head of the Ural regional prosecutor's office Andrey Kuryakov said: "It was a heroic struggle. There was no panic. But they had no chance to save themselves under the circumstances. The version of the events about the avalanche has found its full confirmation, but it was not the only cause of their death."When they turned back, they did not see the tents. The visibility was 16 meters." Many of the group may have perished from exposure in the extreme temperatures. Temperatures in that region of the Ural mountains can drop as low as minus 45 Celsius.

Source: https://www.express.co.uk/news/weird...ural-mountains

I've read somewhere else that the families of the victims are not satisfied with the conclusion. I am not surprised. Several years ago we had a tragic event when several fireman died in an unusual fire. Although official investigation concluded it was an accident caused by rare fire phenomenon, families are still convinced that their loved ones died because of unexploded NATO bombs or because a rescue helicopter was leaking gasoline...
Shuca is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2020, 08:49 AM   #146
Armitage72
Illuminator
 
Armitage72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 4,383
Originally Posted by Shuca View Post
I've read somewhere else that the families of the victims are not satisfied with the conclusion. I am not surprised. Several years ago we had a tragic event when several fireman died in an unusual fire. Although official investigation concluded it was an accident caused by rare fire phenomenon, families are still convinced that their loved ones died because of unexploded NATO bombs or because a rescue helicopter was leaking gasoline...

My mother is still convinced that TWA Flight 800 was accidentally shot down by a US Navy vessel and the government covered it up, and she doesn't even have a personal connection to the event.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:47 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.