ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags operating systems , programming

Old 28th July 2020, 09:02 AM   #161
GodMark2
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
My nephew’s favourite editor is CRISPR.
Powerful editor, but if you think vi gave you nasty surprises for accidental keystrokes...
Old 28th July 2020, 09:19 PM   #162
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by lauwersw View Post
Vim is tiny (2.3MB on my system), comes pre-installed on most servers, does not require a GUI and is still very powerful.
Notepad is 177Kb, comes preinstalled on all Windows computers, uses the Windows GUI and is powerful enough for everything that I need it to do.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2020, 11:12 PM   #163
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I think I'd rather teach myself how to play Dwarf Fortress.
I agree it would be a much better use of your time. I don't see "UNIX sysadmin" in your future.

Notepad is 177Kb, comes preinstalled on all Windows computers, uses the Windows GUI and is powerful enough for everything that I need it to do.
It's a good point, but for me Windows Notepad is incredibly limited. If I can, I install Notepad++. Curiously, I use that on Windows even though I could install vim.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2020, 11:19 PM   #164
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
I agree it would be a much better use of your time. I don't see "UNIX sysadmin" in your future.
Nope, I'm planning to be one of those dreaded "managers".

It's a good point, but for me Windows Notepad is incredibly limited. If I can, I install Notepad++. Curiously, I use that on Windows even though I could install vim.
I've used Notepad++. It's good. But I didn't need half its features. When I was managing websites, I always used either the tool provided with the CMS (Plone or Drupal), or Notepad. But that's the lovely thing about using a CMS - most of the actual hard coding is done for you. All I was doing was tweaking the html.

- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 03:54 PM   #165
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Not curious at all
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 05:23 PM   #166
a_unique_person

Nope, I'm planning to be one of those dreaded "managers".

I've used Notepad++. It's good. But I didn't need half its features. When I was managing websites, I always used either the tool provided with the CMS (Plone or Drupal), or Notepad. But that's the lovely thing about using a CMS - most of the actual hard coding is done for you. All I was doing was tweaking the html.
If you were using CMS then you were most likely using xedit for your editor.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 05:31 PM   #167
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
This is correct, but sometimes I copied it out of that and into notepad for certain tasks.

- Randall Munroe
Old 1st August 2020, 01:16 AM   #168
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
CMS = Content Management System I assume, rather than VM/CMS. Web pages to edit and manage web pages.
Old 1st August 2020, 08:21 PM   #169
a_unique_person

*Checks thread title*

Old 5th August 2020, 12:28 PM   #170
CORed
Philosopher

Was it Unix that didn't have memory protection, or the C programming language? I compile and run C programs on my AMD processor (which can mark parts of memory as read-only once they've been initialized) and they still crash due to memory issues. By contrast, Perl and Python, which are interpreted and have automatic garbage collection, never crash due to dangling or overwritten pointers.
UNIX has had memory protection as far back as I was using it (early '90's). If your C program running on a UNIX system tried to access a memory address that it wasn't allowed to access, it would terminate with a message that said "Segmentation violation. Core dumped". This would also create a file named "core" which was some kind of memory dump that I never actually did anything with but delete it. DOS, on the other hand, would let you read or write anywhere in its 640K of addressable memory. If you tried to write to memory that the operating system happened to be using, the computer might turn unresponsive,and you would have to use the "three finger salute" (control-alt-delete), which in DOS would trigger an immediate reboot, except when it didn',t which was when you reached for the reset button (if the computer had one) or the power switch. I also remember that when a programming error in a C program read out of bounds on an array while outputting to the screen, you would get a screen full of garbage, often with "Microsoft Corporation" displayed somewhere in the middle of it.

Last edited by CORed; 5th August 2020 at 12:32 PM.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2020, 12:42 PM   #171
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
UNIX has had memory protection as far back as I was using it (early '90's). If your C program running on a UNIX system tried to access a memory address that it wasn't allowed to access, it would terminate with a message that said "Segmentation violation. Core dumped". This would also create a file named "core" which was some kind of memory dump that I never actually did anything with but delete it. DOS, on the other hand, would let you read or write anywhere in its 640K of addressable memory. If you tried to write to memory that the operating system happened to be using, the computer might turn unresponsive,and you would have to use the "three finger salute" (control-alt-delete), which in DOS would trigger an immediate reboot, except when it didn',t which was when you reached for the reset button (if the computer had one) or the power switch. I also remember that when a programming error in a C program read out of bounds on an array while outputting to the screen, you would get a screen full of garbage, often with "Microsoft Corporation" displayed somewhere in the middle of it.
IIRC, the memory protection worked best with hardware support; a UNIX system I worked on in the 80s was originally going to use Intel 286 processors, but the memory protection couldn’t be implemented properly, so they had to wait for the 386. They ran with 1MB of memory and a 20MB disk (though they ran better with 2MB and a 40MB disk).

Oh, and I analysed a few core dumps in my time, though it was not something I was an expert at.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2020, 07:36 PM   #172
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I used to work with a guy who could look at the Blue Screen of Death in Windows NT 4.0, determine what was wrong, then use Norton Disk Editor to directly modify the hex code on the disk to fix the problem.

I was in awe.

- Randall Munroe

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet