ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Ghislaine Maxwell , Jeffrey Epstein , sex trafficking

Old 31st July 2020, 09:26 AM   #121
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
That was a conclusion that made the rounds on Twitter.
... that made the rounds on some necessarily limited subset of Twitter that you happened to notice.

It's not like a few tweets in a few feeds means a quorum of knowledgeable people reached an informed consensus after sober deliberation.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 09:41 AM   #122
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
That is applying too much credit to his ability to rationally think about something. She is part of "his" social circle, therefore she is a good person regardless of anything else.
You might very well be correct! “One of us.” Also there is nothing in Trump’s history or behavior that indicates he has any sense of morality at all.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 12:39 PM   #123
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I figure wishing her well is the kind of non-specific thing one does when one has dementia and can't remember who is who.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 12:43 PM   #124
marting
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I figure wishing her well is the kind of non-specific thing one does when one has dementia and can't remember who is who.
Trump absolutely knows who she is. Watching him introducing people he seems to have minimal issues with names/faces. He's a salesman and those are fundamental skills. Too bad more of his cognition isn't as functional.
Old 2nd August 2020, 10:52 PM   #125
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by marting View Post
Trump absolutely knows who she is. Watching him introducing people he seems to have minimal issues with names/faces. He's a salesman and those are fundamental skills. Too bad more of his cognition isn't as functional.
He knows the names and faces of the people who are useful to him. If you're not, he couldn't care less who you are.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2020, 11:22 AM   #126
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Jonathan Swan: "Mr. President, Ghislaine Maxwell has been arrested on allegations of child-sex trafficking."
Trump: "You don't know that."

Linky.

Also, I've only just learned how to pronounce "Ghislaine". But I think I'll continue to mentally pronounce it with a soft G and the S.
Old 5th August 2020, 01:25 PM   #127
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Jonathan Swan: "Mr. President, Ghislaine Maxwell has been arrested on allegations of child-sex trafficking."
Trump: "You don't know that."

Linky.

Also, I've only just learned how to pronounce "Ghislaine". But I think I'll continue to mentally pronounce it with a soft G and the S.
That's some of the most insane nonsense I have ever heard. (The Link. Not your pronunciation of "Ghislaine")

I can't wait for Fox News to explain. (The Link. Not your pronunciation of "Ghislaine")

PS - as someone who grew up in Quebec, I know how to pronounce "Ghislaine".
Old 5th August 2020, 01:45 PM   #128
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
... that made the rounds on some necessarily limited subset of Twitter that you happened to notice.

It's not like a few tweets in a few feeds means a quorum of knowledgeable people reached an informed consensus after sober deliberation.
I didn't say it was trending. I said the idea was expressed there.

Sheesh. Talk about knee-jerk contrarianism.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2020, 07:23 AM   #129
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I didn't say it was trending. I said the idea was expressed there.

Sheesh. Talk about knee-jerk contrarianism.
My bad. I was being unnecessarily cranky. I apologize.

I should have simply asked, what significance to you attach to the fact that the idea was expressed on Twitter?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2020, 07:59 AM   #130
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
My bad. I was being unnecessarily cranky. I apologize.

I should have simply asked, what significance to you attach to the fact that the idea was expressed on Twitter?
None. I was just saying that I had seen the idea expressed before.

Like when I say something that someone else came up with, I'll usually make it clear so as not to take credit for it, etc.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors