ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , NFL incidents , protest incidents , sports controversies , sports incidents , Trump controversies

Old 18th October 2017, 01:04 PM   #841
bytewizard
Graduate Poster

CNN contributor and former NFL receiver Donte Stallworth said Saturday the NFL kneeling protests are also about the "gender pay gap" and "housing discrimination" in addition to police brutality toward minorities and racism.

What better place to find possibly the largest "gender pay gap" and easily correct it? Well in the NFL of course. An NFL player earns on average $27,000 per regular season game. How much do the NFL cheerleaders make per game? $75-$100. Of course the players should make more than the cheerleaders?, but .003 cents for every $1.00? Where is the outrage? At least pay the cheerleaders a nickel for every dollar the players earn. That would equal $1350 per game- the NFL teams can surely afford at least that. If the owners had a true sense of equality and fair play, they would pay the cheerleaders $27,000 per game and set the world on fire with their display of anti-gender gap pay.
bytewizard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 04:19 PM   #842
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by bytewizard View Post
CNN contributor and former NFL receiver Donte Stallworth said Saturday the NFL kneeling protests are also about the "gender pay gap" and "housing discrimination" in addition to police brutality toward minorities and racism.

What better place to find possibly the largest "gender pay gap" and easily correct it? Well in the NFL of course. An NFL player earns on average $27,000 per regular season game. How much do the NFL cheerleaders make per game? $75-$100. Of course the players should make more than the cheerleaders?, but .003 cents for every $1.00? Where is the outrage? At least pay the cheerleaders a nickel for every dollar the players earn. That would equal $1350 per game- the NFL teams can surely afford at least that. If the owners had a true sense of equality and fair play, they would pay the cheerleaders $27,000 per game and set the world on fire with their display of anti-gender gap pay.

If you meant this to be an entry submission for the False Equivalency Championship of the Universe™ you have my vote.
Old 18th October 2017, 05:31 PM   #843
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

NFL commissioner Gooden said today he thinks that NFL players should stand for the anthem, but there will not be a rule punishing them if they don't.
I suspect the Players Union warned him that such a rule would result in a long and brusing court room battle on First Amendment grounds, and Gooden decided the wrath of Trump was better then that.

I suspect the protest will burn themselves out, anyway.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 05:33 PM   #844
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darth Rotor View Post
The NFL and Trump have a bit of a history. Mid 1980's. I well remember that court case. The odds that the NFL is going to play nice with Mr Trump are sort of small.
Oh, I 100% believe that payback is a major reason Trump keeps flogging this issue,

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 07:08 PM   #845
C_Felix
Master Poster

I guess this should go here:

http://www.latimes.com/business/hilt...018-story.html

Trump, according to the text of Kaepernick’s grievance complaint, “has been an organizing force” in the joint decision by the league’s 32 owners to deny the quarterback even a tryout.
Old 18th October 2017, 08:05 PM   #846
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by C_Felix View Post

Trump, according to the text of Kaepernick’s grievance complaint, “has been an organizing force” in the joint decision by the league’s 32 owners to deny the quarterback even a tryout.
Read it. That's it? That is what he has got? He lost. He has nothing that hints at collusion.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 08:47 PM   #847
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Oh, I 100% believe that payback is a major reason Trump keeps flogging this issue,
All he has to do to pay them back is to give them 3 dollars. (read up on the details of the court case if necessary ..)
NFL commissioner Gooden said today he thinks that NFL players should stand for the anthem, but there will not be a rule punishing them if they don't.
Gooden pitched for the Mets (and he pitched very well), while Goodell is the NFL Comish.
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2017, 08:35 AM   #848
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

I suspect the Players Union warned him that such a rule would result in a long and brusing court room battle on First Amendment grounds, and Gooden decided the wrath of Trump was better then that..
Maybe, but I think a more important factor was that Jerry Jones wasn't there.

Jones has been the one spouting off the loudest. He is, of course, a vocal Trump supporter.

I think you are seeing that most of the owners aren't feeling the same way. Without Jones around, it's not an issue.
Old 8th November 2017, 10:27 AM   #849
Stacko
Philosopher

His base also loves it for the obvious reasons.

Quote:
“Shame on them,” Del Signore said over his alfredo. “These clowns are out there, making millions of dollars a year, and they’re using some stupid excuse that they want equality—so I’ll kneel against the flag and the national anthem?”

“You’re not a fan of equality?” I asked.

“For people who deserve it and earn it,” he said. “All my ancestors, Italian, 100-percent Italian, the Irish, Germans, Polish, whatever—they all came over here, settled in places like this, they worked hard and they earned the respect. They earned the success that they got. Some people don’t want to do that. They just want it handed to them.”

“Like NFL players?” I said.

“Well,” Del Signore responded, “I hate to say what the majority of them are …” He stopped himself short of what I thought he was about to say.
Schilling and her husband, however, did not restrain themselves.

“The thing that irritates me to no end is this NFL ****,” Schilling told me in her living room. “I’m about ready to go over the top with this ****. We do not watch no NFL now.” They’re Dallas Cowboys fans. “We banned ‘em. We don’t watch it.”

Schilling looked at her husband, Dave McCabe, who’s 67 and a retired high school basketball coach. She nodded at me. “Tell him,” she said to McCabe, “what you said the NFL is …”

McCabe looked momentarily wary. He laughed a little. “I don’t remember saying that,” he said unconvincingly.

Schilling was having none of it. “You’re the one that told me, liar,” she said.
She looked at me.
The NFL?

“Niggers for life,” Schilling said.

“For life,” McCabe added.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2017, 02:50 PM   #850
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post

Good thing we live in a post-racist society where prejudice isn't a real problem anymore.

How could that kind of attitude be a problem for a high school sports coach?
Old 8th November 2017, 04:11 PM   #851
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
It is to make one sad that Curt Schilling has turned out be such a total Alpha Hotel.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 8th November 2017, 05:13 PM   #852
paulhutch
Master Poster

It is to make one sad that Curt Schilling has turned out be such a total Alpha Hotel.
While Curt is an ******* and ripped off the people of RI through political cronyism, the Politico article isn't about him. It's a story about Trump supporters in Johnstown PA, and contains parts of an interview with Pam Schilling and her husband Dave McCabe.
paulhutch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2017, 09:32 PM   #853
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

how can there be a trump supporter in Johnstown given what shotty rich idiots did to them??
Old 8th November 2017, 09:46 PM   #854
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
how can there be a trump supporter in Johnstown given what shotty rich idiots did to them??
In English please?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2017, 09:57 PM   #855
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
In English please?
Johnstown has a unique perspective on what the eliets really think of the common man.

You'll have to educate yourself if you want specifics. Google would be handy.

Long story short, how many people have to die so people like trump can get good fishing?
Old 8th November 2017, 10:04 PM   #856
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Johnstown has a unique perspective on what the eliets really think of the common man.

You'll have to educate yourself if you want specifics. Google would be handy.

Long story short, how many people have to die so people like trump can get good fishing?
Apparently 1889 was a long time ago....

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2017, 10:20 PM   #857
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Apparently 1889 was a long time ago....
My prized possession is an original book from an eye witness, published about 1908.
Old 21st December 2017, 08:54 PM   #858
Elagabalus
Master Poster

Oh Lordy,

some one blinked ...

https://www.buzzfeed.com/michaelblac...WbX#.esZpMLwy4
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2017, 09:00 PM   #859
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

I'd be curious to know how it would have played if he kept his mouth shut.
Old 22nd December 2017, 06:47 AM   #860
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
You seem to have blundered into a causality misalignment zone.
As did Papa John
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2017, 06:32 PM   #861
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Originally Posted by rwguinn View Post
You seem to have blundered into a causality misalignment zone.
As did Papa John
Schnatter was simply told by his board of directors to STFU and keep politics away from their corporate name. Schnatter had no reason to make the statement and no data to back it up. Q3 results had just been published and Papa John did just fine. There was lower revenue in their US franchises, but against higher sales. That doesn't say anything to hurting shareholders who received dividends slightly above expectations.

No, he used the conversation as an excuse to state a political opinion. I doubt the franchise owner in San Francisco or in Cambridge(MA) appreciated having their brand associated with his sentiments. The board essentially just gave him a What Were You Thinking Pink Slip.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2017, 06:35 PM   #862
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Schnatter was simply told by his board of directors to STFU and keep politics away from their corporate name. Schnatter had no reason to make the statement and no data to back it up. Q3 results had just been published and Papa John did just fine. There was lower revenue in their US franchises, but against higher sales. That doesn't say anything to hurting shareholders who received dividends slightly above expectations.

No, he used the conversation as an excuse to state a political opinion. I doubt the franchise owner in San Francisco or in Cambridge(MA) appreciated having their brand associated with his sentiments. The board essentially just gave him a What Were You Thinking Pink Slip.
Which is exactly what I was thinking. He found out that he can't run the company as a sole owner--he has stockholderes who have a say in things...
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2017, 07:07 PM   #863
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by rwguinn View Post
Which is exactly what I was thinking. He found out that he can't run the company as a sole owner--he has stockholderes who have a say in things...
But I will have to correct myself. There's no record of the board doing anything. This is being played as him removing himself from the CEO position because he thinks a new CEO (old COO) will be best for the company. He's still going to be Chairman of the Board.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2017, 11:11 PM   #864
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
But I will have to correct myself. There's no record of the board doing anything. This is being played as him removing himself from the CEO position because he thinks a new CEO (old COO) will be best for the company. He's still going to be Chairman of the Board.
Is this the same guy who was howling about how awful it'd be to pay and extra quarter so that all the people at Papa Johns' could get health care access? I remember that I completely stopped eating any of their food around then - I mean, if you're going tell me to my face that the people handling the food from your company might be sick, then I'd be a fool to actually eat there.
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2017, 01:29 PM   #865
mgidm86
Illuminator

Originally Posted by C_Felix View Post

Fire your attorney and PR people, bro.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics