ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old Yesterday, 03:44 PM   #1921
godless dave
Great Dalmuti

Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
Dave,
- I don't think that makes sense. H is simply, "Everything is physical." Everything includes what I experience as a sense of self. IOW, H includes my kind of self.
And H says that, being physical, your sense of self is not separate from your body and could not possibly look out of two sets of eyes. So if you're talking about a sense of self that is not separate from your body and could not possibly look out of two sets of eyes, then we're talking about the kind of self that exists in H.
Old Today, 01:16 AM   #1922
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Dave,
- I don't think that makes sense. H is simply, "Everything is physical." Everything includes what I experience as a sense of self. IOW, H includes my kind of self.

No, if H is the hypothesis that everything is physical, it does not include immaterial souls.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:20 AM   #1923
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Dave,
- All that H claims is that there is nothing nonphysical. The self to which we are all referring is included by that "nothing."

H says that that kind of "self" doesn't exist.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:25 AM   #1924
Mojo
Mostly harmless

- I'm going to skip the first issue for now. I think we should focus on the second.
- I might actually agree with you here.
- I've already said that consciousness could be just another version of physical.

Nobody has suggested that "selves" are "another version of physical". Under H consciousness is the result of the sort of physical processes we observe. H does not suggest that there are other "versions of physical".

Last edited by Mojo; Today at 01:30 AM.
Old Today, 01:27 AM   #1925
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Anyway, Jabba, back to the question I asked that you have once again failed to address:

- if we take H as being the hypothesis that you have an immortal soul in addition to your body, do you think that your current existence is evidence against H?

Old Today, 01:40 AM   #1926
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
No, if H is the hypothesis that everything is physical, it does not include immaterial souls.
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Anyway, Jabba, back to the question I asked that you have once again failed to address:

- if we take H as being the hypothesis that you have an immortal soul in addition to your body, do you think that your current existence is evidence against H?
Are you trying to confuse Jabba?
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:16 AM   #1927
Mojo
Mostly harmless

I'm trying to get him to answer a question.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy