ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot

Old 15th February 2010, 03:24 AM   #281
Hallo Alfie
Banned

Originally Posted by Night Walker View Post
Laton - thanks for that account. I'm quite sure that misidentification/misrepresentation/tricks-of-the-light has a role in some alleged yowie sightings though not as much as deliberate misidentification (i.e. exaggeration, storytelling).

Below are some images drawn by Pixie Byrnes (another researcher conveniently without a camera) from Gary Opit's self-published (2009) "Australian Cryptozoology":
No such thing as Pixies either.

http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/2...iebyrnes04.jpg

Captions:

Humpty is a black-haired young male yowie that set up his territory some years ago. He was observed for the first time, for several minutes from 25 metres away at 9.30 am, on 10 March 2008 in northeastern NSW.

Nomad is a playful young male yowie who likes to thump his chest. He weighs approximately 90kg, stands 1.8 metres high and lives with his social group in southeastern Queensland.

Rhama is a dominant old male yowie, with his large canines visible. He has held the same territory in southeast Queensland for many years.

Below are some alleged “yowie footprints” taken by the same :researcher“ (with nothing to indicate scale):

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/6623/byrnes03.jpg

If I stare at the patterned carpet in my room long enough I can identify a different face each time I do so. I believe that the images above involve little more than purposeful misrepresentation - a case of seeing what they want to believe is there. The footprints are clearly that of a human(s).

Comments?
No, you nailed it: The foot prints look human and they dont have a camera.

__________________________________________________ ___

Okay - as for the Naked Yowie Project we have the following offering assistance:

A.A.Alfie, Akhenaten (Victorian Alps though and most of Northern Victoria)

fromdownunder - following up on newspaper reports and on-line reports through well, subsequent newspaper, on-line, library research (comparitive research) and doing a bit of google searching for any further information on the parties involved.

Congratulations - you have now passed cryptozoology’s stringent standards and may now refer to yourselves as JREF‘s resident “yowie researchers”.

Which area can you cover, A.A.Alfie?
Anywhere, I understand the Kimberley is a hot spot.
Hallo Alfie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2010, 03:59 AM   #282
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Dang, sorry NW, I clean forgot about this.

Anyway, what Alfie said.

Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2010, 01:11 PM   #283
JcR
Banned

If a Yowie is captured down there? Please send me one, or as many as one can gather up. I have an idea about those stinky pouches? I think I could turn them into purses, and sell them in New York city. Minus the mammary glands.
JcR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2010, 01:18 PM   #284
Moss

yowies, bunyips, oh my...

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Seems somewhat fitting to this thread.
Moss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2010, 01:46 PM   #285
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Thanks Moss!

Moss' video is about the Bunyip.

Bunyips are a whole different kettle of fish to the Yowie.

The Bunyip is a creature of the Dreaming, and worthy of dicussion.

I'm hoping for comments from the other Professors, Night Walker, and of course, everyone else.

Cool. I love Bunyip stories.

Last edited by Akhenaten; 15th February 2010 at 01:55 PM.
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2010, 01:49 PM   #286
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by JcR View Post
If a Yowie is captured down there? Please send me one, or as many as one can gather up. I have an idea about those stinky pouches? I think I could turn them into purses, and sell them in New York city. Minus the mammary glands.

I absolutely guarantee you first dibs on EVERY Yowie we capture.

Please to not be holding breath.

Old 15th February 2010, 02:05 PM   #287
GT/CS
Illuminator

You have got to be kidding!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bunyip_(1935).jpg (94.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 15th February 2010, 02:44 PM   #288
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Yes.

Old 15th February 2010, 03:28 PM   #289
Night Walker
Thinker

There were quite a few bunyip sightings earlier in the previous century - most descriptions are consistent with seals that have ventured far up the river systems.
Night Walker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2010, 03:42 PM   #290
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Umm . . .

No.

Old 15th February 2010, 06:51 PM   #291
JcR
Banned

Originally Posted by Akhenaten View Post
I absolutely guarantee you first dibs on EVERY Yowie we capture.

Please to not be holding breath.

Just as well, I can't find any fashion models.
JcR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2010, 07:29 PM   #292
fromdownunder
Philosopher

I absolutely guarantee you first dibs on EVERY Yowie we capture, depending upon how good the first one tastes.

Fixed it for you.

Norm
fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2010, 08:45 PM   #293
Hallo Alfie
Banned

There were quite a few bunyip sightings earlier in the previous century - most descriptions are consistent with seals that have ventured far up the river systems.
Umm . . .

No.
They might have followed up the mermaids?
Hallo Alfie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2010, 12:37 AM   #294
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

I wonder what mermaids tas . . .

nah, better not.

Old 16th February 2010, 12:43 AM   #295
Hallo Alfie
Banned

Tasma..?

I think you're right.

Old 16th February 2010, 12:51 AM   #296
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Near choked on my coffee.

Good one.

Old 8th March 2010, 07:09 PM   #297
Hallo Alfie
Banned

Bump

This was one of the funnest threads of the year so far.
Breathe damn it, breathe!

Sadly there have been no Yowie sughtings in 2010 it seems, 2009 was a pretty lean year too.

I am wondering whether the drop in same is due to some unknown factors such as the global warming forcing more of them 'indoors' during the heat of the day, leaving them to forage at night. But then again, given their dog-like night vision that shouldn't be a problem. Inddors nonetheless, that big shaggy coat is obviously an impediment in the stifling heat of Australia's winters.

Or perhaps it is the fact that the Yowie hunters are scared of Australia's summer rains (last year it was bushfires probly).

Perhaps the bushfires decimated them and the rains drowned whatever was left.

But if they survived, I wonder why these events wouldn't have increased the sightings: surely their habitats would have been severely disaffected by these natural phenomena and caused them to encroach into the human domains, in a quest for food and shelter, having lost their own sources.

Sigh, so many questions, so few Yowies.
Old 8th March 2010, 10:35 PM   #298
fromdownunder
Philosopher

Hereinafter to be known as Norm's Law:

The number of sightings of ET's, Alien UFOs, miraculous healings, and cryptoids will decrease in direct proportion to the increase in the number of photo/video cellphones that people own and carry with them.

Norm

Last edited by fromdownunder; 8th March 2010 at 10:36 PM.
fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2010, 10:38 PM   #299
Hallo Alfie
Banned

I love it Norm.

Does the same apply to Elvis, MJ and Harold Holt sightings?
Old 8th March 2010, 11:07 PM   #300
fromdownunder
Philosopher

[Off Topic}

Re Harold, they were incorrect sightings. Harold was murdered:

http://www.harold-holt.net/

Invoking the JREF clause that says that all threads posted by Australians on an Australin topic are by definition off topic

[/Off Topic]

On topic, he was murdered by Yowies manning a minature submarine.

Norm

Last edited by fromdownunder; 8th March 2010 at 11:13 PM. Reason: spalling
Old 8th March 2010, 11:32 PM   #301
Hallo Alfie
Banned

We used to visit the Harold Holt pool in Malvern for some swimming sports in early high school (mid 70s).
Even as a kid there seemed something rather ironic in that.
Old 8th March 2010, 11:58 PM   #302
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

hahahahaha! Really?!?

The Harold Holt pool???

That's absolutely hilarious. I wonder how they kept straight faces at the grand opening.

BTW, a dingo did it.

Old 9th March 2010, 12:14 AM   #303
Hallo Alfie
Banned

http://www.stonnington.vic.gov.au/ww...wim-centre.asp

Heres the history. ^^

In part

Quote:
The new Centre was to be named the 'City of Malvern Olympic Swimming Centre,' however following the tragic death at sea in December 1967 of Malvern's local member and Prime Minister of Australia, the new pool was named the 'Harold Holt Memorial Swimming Centre.' The new Centre was opened by the Prime Minister, John Gorton in March 1969.
"Tragic death at sea" makes it sound like he died while in service too.
Old 9th March 2010, 12:47 AM   #304
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Originally Posted by A.A.Alfie View Post

"Tragic death at sea" makes it sound like he died while in service too.

It certainly sounds better than "Drongo went swimming in Bass Strait when the sea was up", I guess.

Old 9th March 2010, 01:30 AM   #305
Night Walker
Thinker

Bump

This was one of the funnest threads of the year so far.
Breathe damn it, breathe!

Sadly there have been no Yowie sughtings in 2010 it seems, 2009 was a pretty lean year too.

I am wondering whether the drop in same is due to some unknown factors such as the global warming forcing more of them 'indoors' during the heat of the day, leaving them to forage at night. But then again, given their dog-like night vision that shouldn't be a problem. Inddors nonetheless, that big shaggy coat is obviously an impediment in the stifling heat of Australia's winters.

Or perhaps it is the fact that the Yowie hunters are scared of Australia's summer rains (last year it was bushfires probly).

Perhaps the bushfires decimated them and the rains drowned whatever was left.

But if they survived, I wonder why these events wouldn't have increased the sightings: surely their habitats would have been severely disaffected by these natural phenomena and caused them to encroach into the human domains, in a quest for food and shelter, having lost their own sources.

Sigh, so many questions, so few Yowies.

Feel free to ask such questions at www.yowiehunters.com - I am not particularly welcome there since I accused them of fabricating evidence. Perhaps you would have more success with asking questions than I have had...
Night Walker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2010, 02:03 AM   #306
Hallo Alfie
Banned

Feel free to ask such questions at www.yowiehunters.com - I am not particularly welcome there since I accused them of fabricating evidence. Perhaps you would have more success with asking questions than I have had...
Lol

I predict I would last less time that you, two seconds longer than Norm and 10 seconds shorter than Dave (cos he's the most polite).

They are just a bunch of Splatterygom munching brummagemglimpsers.

Last edited by Hallo Alfie; 9th March 2010 at 02:04 AM.
Old 9th March 2010, 02:23 AM   #307
fromdownunder
Philosopher

two seconds longer than Norm .
I would never join a Board which would have somebody like me as a member.

(Apoloigies for misquoting Groucho)

Norm
Old 9th March 2010, 03:56 AM   #308
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Hmm.

So I'm thinking to myself, "Why not join up and have a bit of a troll?"

So I mosied on over there and opened up a thread at random, just to get the lie of the land.

Quote:
I can see it now, a bigfoot/yowie walking backwards and peeing simultaneously, around his entire perimeter. Of course that would lead to head knots from bumping into low lieing tree limbs, since they have no necks and therefore no way to look over their shoulder, to see where they are going. Perhaps the sagital crest is nothing more than a calcium deposit built up from decades of walking backwards while peeing and bumping into those darn low lieing branches. And then, maybe knot. pun intended. Of course, that could explain the stench, from peeing on oneself, while bumping into low lieing tree limbs.

The only recorded territorial displays between neighboring bigfoot tribes that I am aware, appeared to use existing roads as boundaries. Thus eliminating the need for evolution to develop a very large bladder from which to draw upon, for marking boundaries. My personal observation is that they have no boundaries, since they move around to avoid logging operations, as well as humans.

How can you troll people who think like that?

I could tell them a story about being divebombed by a Yowie in a blimp and those flipheads would bloodywell believe it.

It constantly amazes me that people that stupid can actually figure out how to get online and post stuff.

One thing's for sure: if there were any Yowies, these clowns would never find them. A bloody dead stick could outwit them.

And that is my polite opinion.

Old 9th March 2010, 06:31 AM   #309
EHocking
Philosopher

hahahahaha! Really?!?

The Harold Holt pool???

That's absolutely hilarious. I wonder how they kept straight faces at the grand opening.

BTW, a dingo did it.
For additional irony, it's full name was/is, "The Harold Holt MEMORIAL Swimming Centre".

ETA: BTW - a dingo wearing an aqualung...
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2010, 07:03 AM   #310
Drewbot
Philosopher

I'm just curious, here in the States, we call it Hypnogogic Hallucination, down-under, would they refer to it as Bloomin'-Hypnogogic Hallucination?
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2010, 07:07 AM   #311
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
I'm just curious, here in the States, we call it Hypnogogic Hallucination, down-under, would they refer to it as Bloomin'-Hypnogogic Hallucination?
That would be the Poms. We'd be more likely to use "Bleedin'"
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2010, 07:13 AM   #312
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Or perhaps, "These drongoes aren't playin' with a full deck, are they?"

Old 9th March 2010, 09:19 AM   #313
Drewbot
Philosopher

Or perhaps, "These drongoes aren't playin' with a full deck, are they?"
The dingoes took mah bay-bee.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2010, 11:58 AM   #314
GT/CS
Illuminator

Lol

I predict I would last less time that you, two seconds longer than Norm and 10 seconds shorter than Dave (cos he's the most polite).

They are just a bunch of Splatterygom munching brummagemglimpsers.
For the two or three Americans following this thread:

A bunch of what?
Old 9th March 2010, 03:34 PM   #315
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

Splatterygom munching brummagemglimpsers.

Same sort of thing as snatchdweezling doodlewhompers, but not quite as tintmuddling.

Old 9th March 2010, 07:25 PM   #316
Hallo Alfie
Banned

I think we would call it "before my first coffee".

Either that or in a state of Profunddiggliness

Splatterygom munching brummagemglimpsers.

Same sort of thing as snatchdweezling doodlewhompers, but not quite as tintmuddling.
Quite

Honestly!
Flipping jingonicking spanglescreachers have no idea.

Last edited by Hallo Alfie; 9th March 2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old 4th April 2010, 04:50 PM   #317
fromdownunder
Philosopher

The dingoes took mah bay-bee.
Don't get your hopes up folks!

Once upon a time there was a Rock band in Australia called Azaria and the Dingos.

Norm
Old 4th April 2010, 05:02 PM   #318
Lucian
Illuminator

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
Don't get your hopes up folks!

Once upon a time there was a Rock band in Australia called Azaria and the Dingos.

Norm
Isn't Dingoes Ate My Baby the name of Oz's band in Buffy the Vampire Slayer?
Lucian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2010, 07:05 PM   #319
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

I'm kinda pleased that I don't know anything at all about Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Old 4th April 2010, 07:13 PM   #320
Hallo Alfie
Banned

Is it a 'B' grade porn flick?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal