ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING!

Old 17th April 2019, 09:01 PM   #1921
banquetbear
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Stout View Post
So why all the fuss about the link then ?
Originally Posted by banquetbear View Post
It isn't that they are just "barfing up Associated Press" information. Its that its "barfing it up" then adding an ideological stance and framing.
Quote:
And the "factual" in #1904 ?
It was a sentence that included a link to factual reporting, and it was labeled as such. I suggest before that "you should stop trying to read stuff into what other people are saying and just believe the stuff that they are telling you." This is another case where that advice would be useful. The comments on the Daily Caller and the comment on the Newshub link are two very distinct points. If you were confused by those two very distinct points, then the clarification that The Atheist made when he stated "Not incorrect, just incomplete" should have cleared up any confusion.
banquetbear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2019, 10:32 PM   #1922
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

OK so the chat message it the most serious charge, more serious than, presumably, the 14 years he can get for sharing the video.
That appears to be the case.

Of hose 3316 prisoners held on remand, how many would you say are i there for being an idiot on social media ?
Shifted goalposts noted.

You really are determined to post misleadingly, aren't you?

Given that the record shows his charge is related to inciting violence in a case where 50 people were murdered, describing it as "being an idiot on social media" is plain dishonest. We don't know the specifics, and they will be revealed at the trial, so continue to speculate as you wish.
Old 18th April 2019, 07:23 AM   #1923
Stout
Illuminator

It was a sentence that included a link to factual reporting, and it was labeled as such. I suggest before that "you should stop trying to read stuff into what other people are saying and just believe the stuff that they are telling you." This is another case where that advice would be useful. The comments on the Daily Caller and the comment on the Newshub link are two very distinct points. If you were confused by those two very distinct points, then the clarification that The Atheist made when he stated "Not incorrect, just incomplete" should have cleared up any confusion.

That's not a very skeptical approach, just believe what your told. I'm still trying to find out what's exactly wrong with The Daily Caller. The way this thread is going one could come to the conclusion that it's written by Satan himself, that it's blasphemous and scary.

So the source, Associated Press was "not incorrect, just incomplete" The issue is with AP not TDC.

I wonder what outrage would have happened if I'd used Breitbart ?
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2019, 07:31 AM   #1924
Stout
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post

Shifted goalposts noted.

You really are determined to post misleadingly, aren't you?

Given that the record shows his charge is related to inciting violence in a case where 50 people were murdered, describing it as "being an idiot on social media" is plain dishonest. We don't know the specifics, and they will be revealed at the trial, so continue to speculate as you wish.
Goalposts still firmly planted. This is about severe sentences for saying bad things. You don't know what 18 year old kid said and where, I don't know what 18 year old kid said and where so what makes your speculation any more valid than mine ?

Maybe it's in unfailing trust in your government.

Just for fun...here's the Canadian government totally cocking it up in their eagerness to catch a terrorist.

Quote:
That verdict was thrown out after a Supreme Court justice ruled they were entrapped by RCMP.

The judge said police used deceit and veiled threats to engineer the bomb plot.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2019, 02:54 PM   #1925
banquetbear
Graduate Poster

That's not a very skeptical approach, just believe what your told.
...taking stuff I've said, changing the context, and then claiming that is "not a very skeptical approach" is not a very skeptical approach. Please stop doing that.

Quote:
I'm still trying to find out what's exactly wrong with The Daily Caller.
Then the quickest way to find out the answer to that question would be to read the answers that have been given to you.

Quote:
The way this thread is going one could come to the conclusion that it's written by Satan himself, that it's blasphemous and scary.
Nope.

Quote:
So the source, Associated Press was "not incorrect, just incomplete" The issue is with AP not TDC.
Nope.

Quote:
I wonder what outrage would have happened if I'd used Breitbart ?
I've expressed no outrage at your decision to post a link to the Daily Caller, so you won't get any outrage from me if you decided to post Breitbart. If you consider the responses to you in this thread to be "outrage" then you need your "outrage calibrator" realigned.
banquetbear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2019, 04:00 PM   #1926
Stout
Illuminator

Excellent. So these good moral principled people who won't click on a Daily Caller link aren't posting in this thread then. There out there, somewhere and should they happen to wander into this thread and see a Daily caller link they'll avoid it, out of principal.

Just testing the waters with the Breitbart thing. These principled people, one or more of them might have serious conniptions if that banner hit their screen.

So where were we then, before all this link stuff came up ?

Something about Trump adhering to the dress code in some church somewhere ?
Old 18th April 2019, 04:10 PM   #1927
banquetbear
Graduate Poster

Excellent. So these good moral principled people who won't click on a Daily Caller link aren't posting in this thread then. There out there, somewhere and should they happen to wander into this thread and see a Daily caller link they'll avoid it, out of principal.
...I've read this twice, and I cannot parse what the **** you are talking about.

Quote:
Just testing the waters with the Breitbart thing. These principled people, one or more of them might have serious conniptions if that banner hit their screen.
There is nothing to test. There has been no outrage.

Quote:
So where were we then, before all this link stuff came up ?

Something about Trump adhering to the dress code in some church somewhere ?
I have absolutely zero problem keeping up with the thread. If you are having trouble following along can I suggest scrolling back through the thread and re-reading what you and others have written.
Old 18th April 2019, 04:18 PM   #1928
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

This is about severe sentences for saying bad things.
Nope. He hasn't been sentenced yet.

You don't know what 18 year old kid said and where, I don't know what 18 year old kid said and where so what makes your speculation any more valid than mine ?
I haven't speculated, and you just missed a major part of the charges and are now trying to cover up for it with bluster.

In terms of "saying bad things" I imagine Canada has laws against that, too.

Maybe it's in unfailing trust in your government.
Not me, sonny, that's just another of your strawmen. I already offered you a lighter if you want to set fire to them.

Just for fun...
You'll post details of a case that has neither relevance nor commonality with the case in NZ?

You managed it nicely. There is no possibility of entrapment with the NZ case, because the kid had taken his actions prior to police even knowing he existed.

But do keep trying.
Old 18th April 2019, 05:43 PM   #1929
Stout
Illuminator

Nope. He hasn't been sentenced yet.
No, of course not, nobody is saying he was, but he certainly is facing a stiff sentence as the news media constantly reminds us.

Quote:
I haven't speculated, and you just missed a major part of the charges and are now trying to cover up for it with bluster.
*I* didn't miss it, Associated Press Missed it.
Old 18th April 2019, 09:09 PM   #1930
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

...you can choose to do that: but if you do choose to do that then you should really stop being surprised that people don't take your citations or your arguments seriously. Many won't click on a Daily Caller link out of principle. It isn't that they are just "barfing up Associated Press" information. Its that its "barfing it up" then adding an ideological stance and framing.
Which is why I won't even bother clicking on links to whacko sites like Breitbart, Daily Caller and Daily Kos

I use this handy chart to determine whether or not I want to click on a link

I get my news from the yellow and green rectangles

NOTE: Daily Caller, along with Fox News and Breitbart, is in the section marked: Nonsense damaging to public discourse - contains propaganda and misleading info.

I really don't want to risk damaging my brain by reading that stuff!

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2019, 09:24 PM   #1931
banquetbear
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Which is why I won't even bother clicking on links to whacko sites like Breitbart, Daily Caller and Daily Kos

I use this handy chart to determine whether or not I want to click on a link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8tyd92zfqp...hart.jpg?raw=1

I get my news from the yellow and green rectangles

NOTE: Daily Caller, along with Fox News and Breitbart, is in the section marked: Nonsense damaging to public discourse - contains propaganda and misleading info.

I really don't want to risk damaging my brain by reading that stuff!
...hmmm, interesting. My "cut-off" is the same both sides of the equation,starting from Daily Kos downwards on "the left". I had never heard of "The Daily Nexus" but clicking on their About page and reading "Our content serves the audience of George Takei and beyond" says everything I need to know about never visiting the site again. Seems fairly accurate and while I may quibble a couple of things, a very fair guide.
Old 19th April 2019, 01:17 AM   #1932
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

No, of course not, nobody is saying he was, but he certainly is facing a stiff sentence as the news media constantly reminds us.
George Orwell suggested that ignorance is strength, and your argument is living embodiment of that, because you're basing your opinion on ignorance of application of the law in NZ.

Media always talk about maximum sentences because it's sensationalist, but in reality, maximum sentences are almost never given. The maximums are designed for repeat offenders and it's extremely rare to see anyone getting anywhere near the maximum for a first offence. There will be a probation report that will help guide the judge, but I have a handy couple of examples:

My best mate's kid got caught last year with $10,000 worth of marijuana. The maximum sentence is 5 years jail. His actual sentence was 6 months home detention and 12 months' probation and supervision.

My guess is that the 18 yo in question will get 3 years - long enough to disallow home detention, long enough to appease the public, but reasonable enough that it isn't the end of his life.

Another example is a bloke I know very well who was the major figure in a famous finance company fraud, which ripped off over $100M of investors' funds. He got eight years and served less than three.

NZ is not USA when it comes to prison sentences.

If anything our sentencing is piss weak, with the average sentence for killing a child being four years. If the 18 yo gets sentenced to an extraordinary term he will have a clear appeal, so I'd expect the judge to act in a reasonable manner as I suggested above.

*I* didn't miss it, Associated Press Missed it.
Nope, AP didn't miss it, but Daily Caller conveniently ignored it. As noted above, that's the kind of thing that happens when you use dodgy alt-right news sites.
Old 19th April 2019, 02:01 AM   #1933
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

My guess is that the 18 yo in question will get 3 years - long enough to disallow home detention, long enough to appease the public, but reasonable enough that it isn't the end of his life.
And if he does, he'll be out in well under a year based on the 2/3rds off and time serviced.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2019, 05:40 AM   #1934
Stout
Illuminator

I suppose if you need a chart to tell you what you should and should not be reading then have at 'er. I see no need to limit my exposure to online content in such fashion.

Don't forget, this whole watching/downloading/sharing the video thing started out with this.

Quote:
That’s despite a warning from New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern that anyone caught downloading or distributing such material — especially the killer’s 17 minute bodycam footage — faces up to 10 years jail.
And we pair it with this.

Quote:
Anybody found “knowingly” in possession of objectionable material can receive a maximum of 10 years imprisonment.

Every time a person downloads objectionable material onto their screen, there is the potential for a possession offence having been committed.
We can see it's a little more than the media talking about maximum sentences because it's sensationalist. Combine that with the NZ police activly hunting for people who accessed the video and if I were a Kiwi who'd clicked on that video in the early days, I'd be clearing out my browser cache, multiple times.

Yea, 18 year old might not get the maximum ? Guess we'll find out.

Here's the AP article cited in The Daily Caller article that's caused so much fuss. If someone would be so kind as to point out where it mentions the more serious charge about the chat messaging, I'd be eternally grateful.
Old 19th April 2019, 06:11 PM   #1935
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Don't forget, this whole watching/downloading/sharing the video thing started out with this.
Wrong again.

The video hunt started when some people shared the Farcebook live stream of the shooter. Kiwi Farms are irrelevant, being neither Kiwi nor farmers and have nothing to do with NZ. It's a hate site spun off from 8Chan.

We can see it's a little more than the media talking about maximum sentences because it's sensationalist.
Pity Randi ditched the MDC - you could apply for it right now.

Combine that with the NZ police activly hunting for people who accessed the video...
Do you have inside information on the NZ Police as well as your psychic skills of what the media really means? I ask because there's been no sign of the cops actively looking for people who watched the video or there'd be more arrests.

This was a whole month ago, and the clear focus was on people who shared the video, not those who may have watched it: https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/chr...ooting-footage

Not might, absolutely will not get the maximum. Like I said, you're ignorant of how the NZ justice system works, and it shows.

Here's the AP article cited in The Daily Caller article that's caused so much fuss. If someone would be so kind as to point out where it mentions the more serious charge about the chat messaging, I'd be eternally grateful.
Should've gone to Specsavers:

Quote:
...and a still image of the Al Noor mosque with the words “target acquired.”

Last edited by The Atheist; 19th April 2019 at 06:13 PM.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2019, 06:37 PM   #1936
Stout
Illuminator

Now that's some serious flailing.

Dude, your PM came out and talked about maximum sentences, it's not just the news media going all sensational. I could link you to the letter Kiwi Farms received from the NZ police because they published it. Lemme go see if it's still there. brb

Yep, it still is. I'd link to it but, well, you know.

Originally Posted by John Michael_Detective Senior Sergeant, NZ cop
We would like to preserve any posts and technical data including IP addresses, email addresses etc linked to these posts pending a formal legal request .
It was the bit about the chat messaging that was missing, remember?

I even said the DC (and AP) articles mentioned the meme but what was present in your newshub link was mention of something happening on chat messaging. You even said this was the more serious charge.
Old 19th April 2019, 07:03 PM   #1937
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

If you want news about people facing charges in New Zealand, it would behoove you to try looking na little harder than just picking one precis from one site.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/chr...re-live-stream
The 18-year-old student has been charged over the alleged Facebook re-posting of the live stream and messages "inciting extreme violence"
Should've gone to Specsavers:
Indeed he should have...

Here Stout, this might help...

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2019, 07:29 PM   #1938
Stout
Illuminator

Oh lookee ! A brand new article. The ole switcheroo.

For those of you watching how this game is played. First we start with an article, one from a nasty scary site, The Daily Caller which cites an Associated Press Article. All sorts of accusations were hurled about ones saying that the DC had purposely left out the bit about chat messaging and when that was proven to be untrue, other tactics have now come into play.

See for yourself Associated Press vs Newshub. Note the dates, the Newshub stuff is ancient history, probably written on papyrus, while the AP is rather recent.

Even out new, third, article has been dug up by archaeologists.
Old 19th April 2019, 08:12 PM   #1939
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

That’s despite a warning from New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern that anyone caught downloading or distributing such material — especially the killer’s 17 minute bodycam footage — faces up to 10 years jail.
And we pair it with this.

Quote:
Anybody found “knowingly” in possession of objectionable material can receive a maximum of 10 years imprisonment.
What part of 'up to' and 'maximum of' do you not understand?

Quote:
We can see it's a little more than the media talking about maximum sentences because it's sensationalist.
The media decide what to report - which almost always means playing up the sensational bits - and the authorities sometimes make use of that to get their point across (eg. break this law and there will be serious consequences) but nobody is saying that the maximum penalty will be imposed.

Which is a pity, because distributing and viewing snuff movies should get a life sentence.

Quote:
Combine that with the NZ police activly hunting for people who accessed the video and if I were a Kiwi who'd clicked on that video in the early days, I'd be clearing out my browser cache, multiple times.
If it was kiddie porn would you have clicked on it? Would serve you right if you got caught.
Old 19th April 2019, 08:32 PM   #1940
Stout
Illuminator

Holy crap ! I'm totally getting schooled here. I had no idea that people sometimes get less than the the maximum sentence. But yea, this kid shared a snuff video so maybe we'll all get lucky and this guy will never walk the streets again, The nazi bastard.

Got kiddie porn coming across your facebook ? Time to unfollow a few people.
Old 19th April 2019, 08:56 PM   #1941
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Oh lookee ! A brand new article. The ole switcheroo.

For those of you watching how this game is played. First we start with an article, one from a nasty scary site, The Daily Caller which cites an Associated Press Article. All sorts of accusations were hurled about ones saying that the DC had purposely left out the bit about chat messaging and when that was proven to be untrue, other tactics have now come into play.

See for yourself Associated Press vs Newshub. Note the dates, the Newshub stuff is ancient history, probably written on papyrus, while the AP is rather recent.

Even out new, third, article has been dug up by archaeologists.
Try looking past the headlines (those are the ones in big writing at the top of the page)

Old 19th April 2019, 08:59 PM   #1942
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Holy crap ! I'm totally getting schooled here.
That's gratifying - it's what the forum was set up to achieve. Whether it sticks or not is up to you.
Old 20th April 2019, 01:31 AM   #1943
Baylor
Philosopher

That's gratifying - it's what the forum was set up to achieve. Whether it sticks or not is up to you.
It's very obvious you don't know what sarcasm is.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 03:02 AM   #1944
dann
Penultimate Amazing

That would make two of you, but I think he does.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 03:55 AM   #1945
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dann View Post
That would make two of you, but I think he does.
You and him, but not me.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 05:52 AM   #1946
Stout
Illuminator

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Try looking past the headlines (those are the ones in big writing at the top of the page)

A devastating repartee, absolutely devastating !

If it pleases you, we can prioitize old information over new information and really turn this whole skeptic thing on it's head. It's edgy, I like it and who knows, we may even be able to get the bible reintroduce into schools as a science text.
Old 20th April 2019, 05:53 AM   #1947
Stout
Illuminator

That's putting the "E" in iSkep
Old 2nd May 2019, 11:43 AM   #1948
deadrose
Illuminator

The death toll has risen to 51, after an injured man succumbed to his injuries.
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2019, 11:47 PM   #1949
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by deadrose View Post
The death toll has risen to 51, after an injured man succumbed to his injuries.
Yeah. Sad

Must have been a tough dude. Massive amount of gunshot wounds and operations apparently and he lasted this long
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2019, 12:16 AM   #1950
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Everyone's favourite nut job got charged with Terrorism, another murder, and 2 more attempted murder today.

Terrorism alone is 17 - life

So unless there are more

51 - murder charges
40 - attempted murder
1 - Terrorism Suppression Act

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/chr...rrorism-charge
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Last edited by cullennz; 21st May 2019 at 12:17 AM.
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2019, 04:11 AM   #1951
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Everyone's favourite nut job got charged with Terrorism, another murder, and 2 more attempted murder today.

Terrorism alone is 17 - life

So unless there are more

51 - murder charges
40 - attempted murder
1 - Terrorism Suppression Act

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/chr...rrorism-charge
Why he is just and internet edgelord there was clearly no political motivation behind this. Otherwise it might show nazis as dangerous after all. Totally overcharging because of the irrational fear of nazis.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2019, 12:40 PM   #1952
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Why he is just and internet edgelord there was clearly no political motivation behind this. Otherwise it might show nazis as dangerous after all. Totally overcharging because of the irrational fear of nazis.
Well no

It was a terrorist act

Not sure why you feel the need to down play it

Old 21st May 2019, 02:49 PM   #1953
Stout
Illuminator

Well no

It was a terrorist act

It's nazi apologism, a way to downplay the threat of nazis #notallnazis, if you will.

It's the kind of hate speach that might just get this forum banned in New Zealand because all these much hearlded bots and AIs are still unable to detect "sarcasm".

Speaking of New Zealand

I guess that 18 year old video kid is still in jail. We weren't slated to hear from him for another couple of months.

How's that Jordan Peterson book deshelving going ? Did the good and progressive Whitcoulls actually walk their talk or was that just a publicity stunt for a little free advertising ?

Those Crusaders, did they come up with a new name yet ?

I see Jacinda Arden is out there preaching her censorship gospel.

Trigger warning/content note:

The following link to Reasondotcom just may be perceived to be right wing as it defends the idea of freedom of expression. I remember the kerfuffle when I posted that Daily Caller link, so fair warning.

Link

Quote:
I'd argue that exposure and engagement helped to deflate the alt-right bubble of a few years ago. As long as Milo Yiannopoulis or Richard Spencer were prevented from speaking, they could at least seem potentially threatening. Once they actually had to say what they believed, they disappeared in a whiff of smoke. On a pragmatic level, the idea that hiding details and suppressing information about extremists will reduce their power seems wrong.

More fundamentally, though, it should be deeply worrying to anyone who believes in free expression that governments and corporations are openly working together to decide what is and is not acceptable speech. Does anyone really trust the wisdom and sagacity of Twitter's Jack Dorsey or Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg—much less President Donald Trump or the leaders of Singapore (ranked 151st out of 181 countries for press freedom by Reporters Without Borders)—when it comes to defining good speech?
Old 21st May 2019, 08:15 PM   #1954
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Well no

It was a terrorist act

Knowing Turtle's posting history, I am pretty sure you have fallen for a Poe.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2019, 08:58 PM   #1955
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Knowing Turtle's posting history, I am pretty sure you have fallen for a Poe.
Lol

Yeah I know

Was just using his twisting peoples posts to mean nothing they actually said back on him to show him what it is like

Sent from my SM-J500Y using Tapatalk

Old 22nd May 2019, 09:56 AM   #1956
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

It's nazi apologism, a way to downplay the threat of nazis #notallnazis, if you will.

It's the kind of hate speach that might just get this forum banned in New Zealand because all these much hearlded bots and AIs are still unable to detect "sarcasm".

Speaking of New Zealand

I guess that 18 year old video kid is still in jail. We weren't slated to hear from him for another couple of months.

How's that Jordan Peterson book deshelving going ? Did the good and progressive Whitcoulls actually walk their talk or was that just a publicity stunt for a little free advertising ?

Those Crusaders, did they come up with a new name yet ?

I see Jacinda Arden is out there preaching her censorship gospel.

Trigger warning/content note:

The following link to Reasondotcom just may be perceived to be right wing as it defends the idea of freedom of expression. I remember the kerfuffle when I posted that Daily Caller link, so fair warning.

Link
Of course that isn't what happened at all. It wasn't hearing what richard spencer said that got him off the attention of anyone, it was no municipality being willing to put up with his trigger happy supporters taking pot shots at people during his events and people being afraid to show up after lots of video of photos of those who like to go to nazi events was published.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2019, 09:59 AM   #1957
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Well no

It was a terrorist act

Not at all. For it to be terrorism it would have to be a political act and there is no political movement around this, he is just some mentally ill nut bag and clearly even his connections to other mentally ill nut bags are not remotely relevant to anything and says nothing about any of them.
Old 22nd May 2019, 04:57 PM   #1958
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Not at all. For it to be terrorism it would have to be a political act and there is no political movement around this, he is just some mentally ill nut bag and clearly even his connections to other mentally ill nut bags are not remotely relevant to anything and says nothing about any of them.
No true terrorist...

As ever,

Brown skin=terrorist, animal, savage, etc.

White skin=lone wolf, mentally ill, etc.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 22nd May 2019 at 04:59 PM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2019, 09:52 PM   #1959
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

The bloke who shared the massacre video has been given a jail sentence of 21 months.

Well within the frame for Home Detention, but that was denied by the judge.

Making an example of him. Child pornography busts have had much more lenient sentences.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/cri...killings-video
Old 17th June 2019, 10:57 PM   #1960
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

The bloke who shared the massacre video has been given a jail sentence of 21 months.

Well within the frame for Home Detention, but that was denied by the judge.

Making an example of him. Child pornography busts have had much more lenient sentences.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/cri...killings-video
Good.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events