ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th January 2017, 02:42 PM   #121
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
Yes he admitted it, until it's inconvenient that he admitted it and then it will be that he didn't mean to admit it. Everything is fungible.
We have always been at war with Eastasia.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 02:42 PM   #122
Donal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Maybe hiring prostitutes to pee is the best they've got. In which case blackmail will be ineffective. Unless there's something even more embarrassing. Not that Trump is capable of embarrassment.

I didn't see the press conference so this is a little OT, maybe should go in other thread, but: The 35-page document mentioned that Trump has supposedly resisted sweetheart details proposed by Russia as a way to "cultivate" him. That actually looks good for him. The Russians do supposedly have his personal peccadilloes to go on, but unless his encounters with prostitutes number in the hundreds, that might just come down to "boys will be boys" or "it was locker room talk, I did not have sex with those women."

Who thinks we've seen the worst thing Russia (or any other entity) has on him?
I'm sure they have some juicy financial data on him (like their banks essentially own his brand). what really concerns me is the information on the GOP they got from those attacks. Because the fact that RNC servers were also hacked but nothing leaked out from them keeps getting brushed away.
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 02:42 PM   #123
Minoosh
Philosopher

You think they would admit calling themselves teabaggers after they found out what it means?
OK, sorry, OT, but is there some sordid meaning of teabag I'm not aware of?

10 seconds later

Yes, apparently! Learn something new every day.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 02:51 PM   #124
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
I'm sure they have some juicy financial data on him (like their banks essentially own his brand). what really concerns me is the information on the GOP they got from those attacks. Because the fact that RNC servers were also hacked but nothing leaked out from them keeps getting brushed away.
I'm not sure it's being brushed away. I've seen it mentioned many times. You and I are getting the public version of events; in the fullness of time maybe we'll learn more. But I don't know what more remains to be done given the current public knowledge. Most reasonably well-informed people probably know about the RNC. That's a guess. I could be wrong.

So the RNC was hacked but only Hillary was attacked. What do you do with that?

ETA:
Originally Posted by Donal View Post
I'm sure they have some juicy financial data on him (like their banks essentially own his brand).
They might have that data, but I doubt if it comes from RNC hacking. I'm not sure it would be on RNC servers.

Last edited by Minoosh; 11th January 2017 at 02:55 PM.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 02:55 PM   #125
Minoosh
Philosopher

dupe

Last edited by Minoosh; 11th January 2017 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11th January 2017, 03:06 PM   #126
Delphic Oracle
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I have missed this bit. When did this come out?
Well I'm starting with the premise that a hack and a leak are not mutually exclusive.

DNC emails are released by Wikileaks, DNC investigates, Crowdstrike find evidence of hacking, implicates Russia.

Conclusion: Russia provided the information to Wikileaks.

The problem here is post hoc, ergo propter hoc. Just because the hack preceded the release of emails does not mean the hack and the release are causally linked.

If you juxtapose intelligence/cybersecurity claims ("Russia hacked DNC") with Wikileaks claims ('Russia was not the source") you might conclude these are contradictory. Yet another of the many ways in which the 'two' sides are often arguing past each other.

ETA: As much as we could argue that all day long, my further point still remains, that the breaches were a result of human errors, not system settings.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 11th January 2017 at 03:09 PM.
Delphic Oracle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 03:10 PM   #127
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Ah, but there may be a subtlety going on here. Trump claims to have no loans from Russia, not no loans from Russians. The man we are accustomed to calling stupid may be choosing his words carefully.
No, he shoots from the grammatical hip and lets people pluck whatever meaning they desire from the mess of contradiction. Even if he had said "Russians," you could make the same argument regarding Russian persons versus Russian companies. His choice of words mean nothing and carries no weight.

I don't know about a post-factual society, but we're certainly post-integrity.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 03:57 PM   #128
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
I don't get this. Why would Putin want the USSR back? He and his cronies have made too much money from capitalism.

Now, the Russian Empire, on the other hand...
Putin wants to Make Russia Great Again, and I think he's persuaded a lot of Russians that he already has.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 03:59 PM   #129
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
Great to see Trump standing up to journalists questions. No one wants to see people pissing all over the President of America.

The Republicans didn't seem to have a problem with it for the last eight years.
Old 11th January 2017, 04:07 PM   #130
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Speculation --

They are holding on to the anti-R stuff until DT is actually President, then they can use it as blackmail to influence him directly.
I think Trump would say "Publish and be damned". He's clearly flying free of the Republican Party, and will probably end up smearing every elected Republican before long anyway. Trump's a cuckoo in the nest, and they don't share space.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 04:08 PM   #131
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Putin wants to Make Russia Great Again, and I think he's persuaded a lot of Russians that he already has.
Slava Rus Putina!
Old 11th January 2017, 04:08 PM   #132
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
... I'm not sure it would be on RNC servers.
Exchanges revealing they knew about the Trump-Putin connection?

Their own contacts with Russia to defeat Clinton?

Same kind of derogatory remarks against various groups, like calling the poor, duped?

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 11th January 2017 at 04:10 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 04:40 PM   #133
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by sunmaster14 View Post
No, it's not. Just because one person in a crowd may have referenced it on camera,

Just one person? One time? In a crowd?

Okay.

Quote:
that doesn't justify using the term to malign and mock an entire movement. I know lots of people who are active in the Tea Party, and none of them called themselves teabaggers. All of them, in fact, thought it was a pretty stupid insult from liberals.

<snip>

Cool story, bro'.
Old 11th January 2017, 04:41 PM   #134
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by willim View Post
Seeing Trump hand CNN's Jim Acosta his own tail section was worth the price of admission alone!

<snip>

How much did admission cost?
Old 11th January 2017, 04:50 PM   #135
paulhutch
Graduate Poster

Oh? Citation?
President Obama: GOP Opposition to Stimulus 'Helped to Create the Tea-Baggers'

As far as I can tell it was just that one time in an interview.

Last edited by paulhutch; 11th January 2017 at 05:00 PM.
paulhutch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 04:57 PM   #136
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Just one person? One time? In a crowd?

Okay.

Cool story, bro'.
But dissing the whole Black Lives Matter because a few individuals were jerks... That's just not the same thing.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 05:03 PM   #137
Delphic Oracle
Graduate Poster

http://theweek.com/articles/494697/e...ord-tea-bagger

Quote:
Feb. 27, 2009
At the first anti-stimulus "New American Tea Party" rally in Washington D.C., a protestor carries a sign reading "Tea Bag the Liberal Dems before they Tea Bag You!!" The Washington Independent's David Weigel calls it "the best sign I saw."

March 2
Americans for Prosperity, an anti-tax group, is one of the first Tea Party organizations to advocate sending tea bags to elected officials to protest the stimulus package. Several other lobby groups follow suit.

April 1
Several Tea Party protest sites encourage readers to "Tea bag the fools in DC." Jay Nordlinger at National Review Online later admits: "Conservatives started [using the term]... but others ran and ran with it."
Delphic Oracle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 05:04 PM   #138
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dumb All Over View Post
The delete key is going to soon be applied to the Obama administration.
Nope. The page turns, but that page will not be deleted.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 05:09 PM   #139
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by willim View Post
Seeing Trump hand CNN's Jim Acosta his own tail section was worth the price of admission alone!

The majority of the reactions to the press conference posted here are also telling, as well as highly entertaining.
Agreed, it was fun to listen to.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 05:10 PM   #140
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
What in the hell are you talking about?

I was at that Tea Bagger Rally so I know what happened.
No one cares, it just a story.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 05:12 PM   #141
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
Nope. The page turns, but that page will not be deleted.
What makes you think that? Your side has zero power!
Old 11th January 2017, 05:50 PM   #142
Argumemnon
World Maker

Capitalists
Clever.

Would we call them shift-caps, all-caps or caps-locks?
Old 11th January 2017, 05:51 PM   #143
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
This actually sounds like Obama's stammering, except you'd have to throw in a bunch of "ummms" and "uhhhs" and long pauses.
That hasn't been my impression of him at all. But then, we live in the post-fact world so it's all about how you perceive things.
Old 11th January 2017, 05:57 PM   #144
newyorkguy
Philosopher

Today I heard Trump tell Americans we're supposed to celebrate the fact Vladimir Putin likes Donald Trump. That Putin will have "more respect" for the U.S.A. once The Don gets into the White House. This is the same Vladimir Putin that American intelligence agencies believe has stolen billions of dollars (in rubles) while serving as Russian prime minister and president? The same Vladimir Putin who uses false imprisonment and murder against political dissidents or personal enemies? The same Vladimir Putin who was called a war criminal in the Senate today by Marco Rubio?

We're supposed to be all excited because this piece of human garbage likes our incoming prez?

This is going to be some four years.

Last edited by newyorkguy; 11th January 2017 at 06:01 PM.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 06:02 PM   #145
KatieG
Rootin' Tootin' Raspberry

Originally Posted by The Greater Fool View Post
awesome.jpg

"I never thought leopards would eat MY face", sobs the woman who voted for Leopards Eating People's Faces Party
KatieG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 06:03 PM   #146
PitPat
Graduate Poster

He could have made a drinking game with "Hillary". Glad to see he has the maturity to move on.
PitPat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 06:10 PM   #147
newyorkguy
Philosopher

The devil's in the details and I'm a detail guy.

Seeing Trump's attorney for conflict-of-interest issues, Sheri Dillion, standing at the podium today. It was hard to see her clearly because the microphone was still set for Trump who apparently is several inches taller. That Dllion -- or someone -- couldn't handle a simple thing like adjusting the mike so you could see her face clearly, reminded me of how seat-of-the-pants this whole Trump presidency is supposed to be.

And by the way, the two attorneys who served as conflict-of-interest advisers for presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama said in a PBS interview tonight that Dillion, quote, "Doesn't know what she's talking about," unquote. That Trump's myriad conflicts of interest will put him in direct violation of the Constitution the moment he is sworn in.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 06:15 PM   #148
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Today I heard Trump tell Americans we're supposed to celebrate the fact Vladimir Putin likes Donald Trump. That Putin will have "more respect" for the U.S.A. once The Don gets into the White House. This is the same Vladimir Putin that American intelligence agencies believe has stolen billions of dollars (in rubles) while serving as Russian prime minister and president? The same Vladimir Putin who uses false imprisonment and murder against political dissidents or personal enemies? The same Vladimir Putin who was called a war criminal in the Senate today by Marco Rubio?

We're supposed to be all excited because this piece of human garbage likes our incoming prez?

Do Americans really believe Putin is on board with Make America Great Again? Do they think he wants that? The stance so many people have taken on Putin is beyond me.
Ryokan is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 06:31 PM   #149
phiwum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by paulhutch View Post
President Obama: GOP Opposition to Stimulus 'Helped to Create the Tea-Baggers'

As far as I can tell it was just that one time in an interview.
Thanks.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 06:33 PM   #150
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by PitPat View Post
He could have made a drinking game with "Hillary". Glad to see he has the maturity to move on.
Apparently Marco Rubio is the only one still campaigning against Clinton. They're all still campaigning against Obama, however.
Old 11th January 2017, 06:44 PM   #151
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by logger View Post
No one cares, it just a story.
How very charming of you to say so.

You must be so very popular with women.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 07:00 PM   #152
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
That hasn't been my impression of him at all. But then, we live in the post-fact world so it's all about how you perceive things.
It's not your impression because you only watch leftists news. Right wing news runs his um's and ahh's quite often. Did you know in one of his latest speeches he mentioned himself over 70 times.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/01/10/ob...ewell-address/
Old 11th January 2017, 07:02 PM   #153
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post

But you were all for the reset?

Now you're cheering obama to start WW?
Old 11th January 2017, 07:03 PM   #154
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
How very charming of you to say so.

You must be so very popular with women.
Probably because they see the great marriage I have.
Old 11th January 2017, 07:04 PM   #155
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by logger View Post
It's not your impression because you only watch leftists news. Right wing news runs his um's and ahh's quite often. Did you know in one of his latest speeches he mentioned himself over 70 times.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/01/10/ob...ewell-address/
His farewell address? Where he sums up his achievements? I'm surprised he didn't mention himself more, he had plenty more to talk about.
Spindrift is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 07:20 PM   #156
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

One of the last things he said that I thought was really odd was, "Besides, I'm a germophobe." This was even after I was aware of CNN's reveal that there was a report (but not the contents thereof), and a synopsis that he and Obama read.

Once I found out what was in it, his comment made sense as a deflection.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 07:53 PM   #157
Varanid
Master Poster

Originally Posted by sunmaster14 View Post
I think it's supposed to be 'ctrl-left". Which is clever in my opinion.
For the first time in recorded history, I agree with you. That's pretty clever.
Old 11th January 2017, 07:56 PM   #158
Varanid
Master Poster

Capitalists
Why do I spend so many hours perusing the shallow end of the internet, when ISF is here to make me chuckle so?
Old 11th January 2017, 08:03 PM   #159
cmikes
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post

Obama is terrible when he's off-prompter. Which is why his people keep him on teleprompter as much as possible and the media rarely shows his attempts at speaking without his teleprompter.

I first noticed it way back in 2008 when he was running against McCain, because they're basically like two sides of the same coin on as far as public speaking goes. Obama, on his teleprompter, is great and really does a good job of speaking without seeming to just be reading a pre-printed speech, where McCain always seemed really wooden and you could tell he was simply reading off a screen. OTOH, in Town Halls and press conferences, it was exactly the opposite, McCain seemed much more relaxed and natural, while Obama hemmed and hawed with lots of pauses and really seemed uncomfortable.

That's not really a criticism, there are tons of people that aren't good at public speaking when they have to extemporize, but it's definitely there.

That being said, Obama is a much better public speaker than Trump, but that's not necessarily a bad thing as far as his supporters are concerned. Trump's entire persona is based on not being a politician.
cmikes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 08:15 PM   #160
Varanid
Master Poster

Originally Posted by cmikes View Post
Obama is terrible when he's off-prompter...snip...
I first noticed it way back in 2008 when he was running against McCain, because they're basically like two sides of the same coin on as far as public speaking goes. Obama, on his teleprompter, is great and really does a good job of speaking without seeming to just be reading a pre-printed speech, where McCain always seemed really wooden and you could tell he was simply reading off a screen. OTOH, in Town Halls and press conferences, it was exactly the opposite, McCain seemed much more relaxed and natural, while Obama hemmed and hawed with lots of pauses and really seemed uncomfortable.
Friends, this simply illustrates that there are varying definitions for "relaxed and natural," friends.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics