ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2016 elections , donald trump , political speculation , Trump administration , Trump cabinet , Trump controversies

Old 29th September 2016, 09:47 AM   #1
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Trump's Cabinet -- Serious Speculation

Since Trump has managed to make the election much closer, who do you seriously believe he might appoint to his cabinet? Not the joke suggestions, who might he actually appoint?

To me, Chris Christie and Rudy Giuliani look solid for AG and Homeland Security, probably in that order although the reverse could also work.

Gen Michael Flynn for SecDef seems an obvious choice.

Beyond there, I'm out of ideas and hoping to hear some serious suggestions.

Perhaps another thread is in order for less serious suggestions, such as Sarah Palin for anything that would require her to actually show up and do work.
Old 29th September 2016, 09:50 AM   #2
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Since Trump has managed to make the election much closer, who do you seriously believe he might appoint to his cabinet? Not the joke suggestions, who might he actually appoint?

To me, Chris Christie and Rudy Giuliani look solid for AG and Homeland Security, probably in that order although the reverse could also work.

Perhaps another thread is in order for less serious suggestions, such as Sarah Palin for anything that would require her to actually show up and do work.
Flynn hasn't been retired long enough to legally be SecDef. Christie should be toxic and might be hard to get approved even with a Republican congress.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2016, 09:52 AM   #3
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

I think Rudy is in the beginning stages of full-blown dementia. I can't think of a single person in his inner circle qualified to run anything on a national level. Being totally serious.

I have no clue.
Old 29th September 2016, 09:57 AM   #4
The Great Zaganza
Graduate Poster

It seems to me that the cabinet is totally up for grabs.

Trump might use each post as a bargaining chip with the GOP to make sure they toe his line.
Old 29th September 2016, 09:58 AM   #5
The Great Zaganza
Graduate Poster

double post

Last edited by The Great Zaganza; 29th September 2016 at 11:26 AM. Reason: sorry
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2016, 10:13 AM   #6
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

I suggest that our very own 'The Big Dog' be named as Secretary of the Treasury due to his incredibly well-reasoned and thoughtful defense of Donald J. Trump who so boldly used money from the Donald J. Trump Foundation to pay legal debts which are owed by Donald J. Trump the person.
Old 29th September 2016, 10:23 AM   #7
Segnosaur
Philosopher

We already know what a trump cabinet would look like.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/07...ing-daily-show

Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer
I cheered when then the WTC came down. - UndercoverElephant (a.k.a. JustGeoff)
I cheer Bin Laden... - JustGeoff (a.k.a. UndercoverElephant)
Bin Laden delivered justice - JustGeoff (a.k.a. UndercoverElephant)
Men shop for lingerie the way kids shop for breakfast cereal... they will buy something they know nothing about, just to get the prize inside. - Jeff Foxworthy

Last edited by Segnosaur; 29th September 2016 at 10:27 AM.
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2016, 10:28 AM   #8
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
I suggest that our very own 'The Big Dog' be named as Secretary of the Treasury due to his incredibly well-reasoned and thoughtful defense of Donald J. Trump who so boldly used money from the Donald J. Trump Foundation to pay legal debts which are owed by Donald J. Trump the person.
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Aw c'mon guys! Serious. Maybe I'll start another thread for the funny ones.

I wasn't aware of a time restriction after military retirement for the civilian job. Can someone enlighten me?
Old 29th September 2016, 10:32 AM   #9
Stacko
Philosopher

Aw c'mon guys! Serious. Maybe I'll start another thread for the funny ones.

I wasn't aware of a time restriction after military retirement for the civilian job. Can someone enlighten me?
You have to be at least seven years removed from active service.

Quote:
There is a Secretary of Defense, who is the head of the Department of Defense, appointed from civilian life by the President, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate. A person may not be appointed as Secretary of Defense within seven years after relief from active duty as a commissioned officer of a regular component of an armed force.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2016, 10:36 AM   #10
varwoche
Philosopher

Maybe Bridgegate will sink Christie. I hope so, although that could be a problem what with concerns about sea level.
Old 29th September 2016, 10:41 AM   #11
Segnosaur
Philosopher

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Maybe Bridgegate will sink Christie. I hope so, although that could be a problem what with concerns about sea level.
What might hurt him more (at least with the GOP) was the fact that he was friendly towards Obama during New Jersey disaster relief efforts.

Inconveniencing thousands of commuters over a petty dispute is fine; showing any sort of bipartisanship is not.

Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer
I cheered when then the WTC came down. - UndercoverElephant (a.k.a. JustGeoff)
I cheer Bin Laden... - JustGeoff (a.k.a. UndercoverElephant)
Bin Laden delivered justice - JustGeoff (a.k.a. UndercoverElephant)
Men shop for lingerie the way kids shop for breakfast cereal... they will buy something they know nothing about, just to get the prize inside. - Jeff Foxworthy
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2016, 10:46 AM   #12
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
What might hurt him more (at least with the GOP) was the fact that he was friendly towards Obama during New Jersey disaster relief efforts.

Inconveniencing thousands of commuters over a petty dispute is fine; showing any sort of bipartisanship is not.
I remember crazed Republican whackjobs claiming that Christie cost Romney the election.
Old 29th September 2016, 10:50 AM   #13
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Thanks, good to know. Secretary of State, then?
Old 29th September 2016, 11:22 AM   #14
Hutch
A broken man on a Halifax pier, the last of Barrett's Privateers

I think Senator Sessions (R-Alabama), who was one of his first supporters from Congress, probably would be in line for a job...Commerce, maybe? Since the Repubs wouldn't have any trouble getting a Republican elected to replace him, it would be a low-risk appointment while giving Trump some credibility with Congress.

Note, I think it's a horrible idea and Sessions would be bad in any cabinet role, but I think it is a serious possibility.
Old 29th September 2016, 11:30 AM   #15
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
I think Senator Sessions (R-Alabama), who was one of his first supporters from Congress, probably would be in line for a job...Commerce, maybe? Since the Repubs wouldn't have any trouble getting a Republican elected to replace him, it would be a low-risk appointment while giving Trump some credibility with Congress.

Note, I think it's a horrible idea and Sessions would be bad in any cabinet role, but I think it is a serious possibility.
I can't think of a single cabinet position Sessions is qualified for unless you event a joke one. Secretary of Minority Vote Suppression works for Sessions.
Old 29th September 2016, 03:58 PM   #16
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

I can't see it mattering who gets what. They will be ornamental anyway. Trump will use his own un-elected business contacts and cronies to do government business as contractors and consultants, and have the government pay his charity to do so.

I'm serious.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2016, 04:38 PM   #17
fishbob
Seasonally Disaffected

Can Christie do either job while serving his sentence for Bridge-gate?
fishbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2016, 05:08 PM   #18
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)

I can' think of a single person who spoke at the Republican National Convention who would be qualified for any sort of Cabinet position. I suppose there are some Republican governors out there who could run HHS or HUD or the Interior.

Do not pretend I support your argument and do not PM me.
- Nick Terry
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2016, 06:10 PM   #19
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
I can't think of a single cabinet position Sessions is qualified for unless you event a joke one. Secretary of Minority Vote Suppression works for Sessions.
I actually can't think of anyone qualified for any position whatsoever that Trump is likely to appoint. But what makes you think that would stop him?
Old 29th September 2016, 06:12 PM   #20
maxpower1227
Master Poster

He'll probably try to appoint his douchebag sons to cabinet level positions.
Old 29th September 2016, 06:16 PM   #21
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Originally Posted by maxpower1227 View Post
He'll probably try to appoint his douchebag sons to cabinet level positions.
He already suggested appointing Ivanka. He might actually try it not knowing it is illegal and persist even after being told that it is.
Old 29th September 2016, 08:40 PM   #22
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Hey, JFK appointed his brother...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 30th September 2016, 01:45 AM   #23
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Hey, JFK appointed his brother...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
It was made illegal to appoint a relative after that.
Old 30th September 2016, 01:53 AM   #24
The Great Zaganza
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
He already suggested appointing Ivanka. He might actually try it not knowing it is illegal and persist even after being told that it is.
He'll just legally separate from her, declaring her not to be his daughter - it's pretty much like a divorce, right? And he has plenty of experience with that.
And on the plus side, he then gets to date her.
Old 30th September 2016, 02:35 AM   #25
Tolls
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
He'll just legally separate from her, declaring her not to be his daughter - it's pretty much like a divorce, right? And he has plenty of experience with that.
It's Trump. He'll simply deny ever having met her or something.

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
And on the plus side, he then gets to date her.
ewwwww...
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2016, 03:21 AM   #26
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Nobody suggested yet Sheriff Joe Arpaio? Yes, I'm being serious.

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2016, 03:44 AM   #27
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Sec. State - Newt
Defense - Christie
AG/Justice - Giuliani
Homeland Sec. - Sessions
Interior - Palin
Treasury - Ryan
Commerce - Manafort
Secretary of Making it Look Like I Have A Black Friend - Carson
Health and Human Services - Dr. Oz
Housing and Urban Development - cancelled, those losers voted against me
Labor - you're kidding, right? Get back to work.
Energy - Cap'n Joe Hazelwood
Transportation - Bringing back British meaning - Joe Arpaio
Education - Jenny McCarthy
Veterans Affairs - Jerome Corsi

Chairman of the Fed - Alex Jones
Surgeon General - Dr. Harold Bernstein - a.k.a. "signed, Epstein's mother"
Pres. Press Secretary - John Barron
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2016, 03:46 AM   #28
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
Nobody suggested yet Sheriff Joe Arpaio? Yes, I'm being serious.
cross-posted. typing while you were posting.

Seriously.... I could see him putting Sheriff Joe in Homeland Security. If this was Bush/Cheney, what they'd do is give V.A. to McCain after getting the agreement from the Governor to appoint Arpaio to McCain's seat.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2016, 03:56 AM   #29
Degeneve
Muse

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Sec. State - Newt
Defense - Christie
AG/Justice - Giuliani
Homeland Sec. - Sessions
Interior - Palin
Treasury - Ryan
Commerce - Manafort

I am wondering whether Andrew Wakefield might not be a better pick for the Health and Human Services Department...
Degeneve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2016, 06:50 AM   #30
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I have to hope he'd make the same mistake as Obama and strip the Senate of senior members of his party.

I could actually see the possibility of him appointing Arpaio to CBP (Customs & Border Protection).

Many of the R's would like to see Education, HUD, HHS, Labor and uh "what's the other one? I forget" all go away. Maybe The Donald can appoint Rick Perry Secretary of making that happen.
Old 30th September 2016, 07:18 AM   #31
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Sec. State - Newt
Defense - Christie
AG/Justice - Giuliani
Homeland Sec. - Sessions
Interior - Palin
Treasury - Ryan
Commerce - Manafort

Why do you hate Paul Ryan and want to put him in an asylum?

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2016, 08:57 AM   #32
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Sec. State - Newt
Defense - Christie
AG/Justice - Giuliani
Homeland Sec. - Sessions
Interior - Palin
Treasury - Ryan
Commerce - Manafort

I was going to criticize you of posting such a joke list in a thread of Serious Speculation, but it is hard to think of who else it would be.

Trump supporters here, namely sunmaster14 IIRC, have assured me that he will surround himself with the best people and will be housed by the press to make rational choices. I wish one of them would contribute a rebuttal to your list. And not just moving Carson up to HHS.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2016, 09:49 AM   #33
Mader Levap
Muse

For me it is telling that no conservatives weighted in here, at least at moment of writing this post. It is almost like there is no chance that insane fascist clown will "surround himself with the best people".
Old 30th September 2016, 12:42 PM   #34
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

Many of the R's would like to see Education, HUD, HHS, Labor and uh "what's the other one? I forget" all go away. Maybe The Donald can appoint Rick Perry Secretary of making that happen.

While not an actual Cabinet position, the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency is accorded Cabinet rank and sits with the Cabinet Secretaries, and there's been talk off-and-on since the 1980s of making it an actual Cabinet position.
I can see an attempt to make that go away, with all of those oppressive, job-killing, industry-crippling, Chicken Little regulations.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2016, 06:33 AM   #35
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

His cabinet will be made up of his agenda driven supporters who have deluded themselves into thinking they can control a demagogue. Most of them should already know that history is unkind to those with such a plan.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2016, 06:44 AM   #36
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
It was made illegal to appoint a relative after that.
I had not heard that.

What is the specific law? Just curious as to how "relative" is defined.

"I doubt that!" - James Randi
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2016, 07:04 AM   #37
jhunter1163
beer-swilling semiliterate

Location: Connecticut, or King Arthur's Court. Hard to tell sometimes.
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
I had not heard that.

What is the specific law? Just curious as to how "relative" is defined.
Here's the applicable law:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/5/3110
Old 2nd October 2016, 07:07 AM   #38
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

Originally Posted by jhunter1163 View Post
A day when you learn something new is a good day!

Thanks to you both!

"I doubt that!" - James Randi
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2016, 10:06 AM   #39
Modified
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jhunter1163 View Post
Hmmm, as written it doesn't seem to provide any protection against appointing a relative who is unknown to you at the time.
Modified is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2016, 01:23 PM   #40
bobdroege7
Graduate Poster

FBI Director Comey for Sec of State or Homeland Security

Or maybe Attorney General

Graduate of a liberal arts college!

Faster play faster faster play faster

Last edited by bobdroege7; 2nd October 2016 at 01:24 PM. Reason: added attorney general
bobdroege7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics