ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , internet incidents , Trump controversies , US-Russia relations , vladimir putin

Old 6th January 2017, 03:31 PM   #281
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
I'm sure they are. Now let that nonsense go.
In other words, you have no actual argument against what I said.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2017, 03:46 PM   #282
Segnosaur
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Henri McPhee View Post
The silly thing is that America admits it has interfered in elections in Italy in the past. America and the CIA also seem to have been behind the coup in Chile when Allende was toppled and replaced by that fascist General Pinochet, who was so admired by Mrs. Thatcher.
It is true that the U.S. has interfered in the internal affairs of other countries (helping to determine the leadership). But, at least some of those events have to be put into context.

For example, the U.S interfered in the 1948 Italian election (donating to certain political parties, publishing material, etc.) However, the Soviet Union was also interfering in the election (funding left-wing parties). It could be argued that the U.S. was (to a certain degree) providing balance.

As for Chile... yes, the U.S. did support Pinochet; on the other hand, Allende was also receiving aid from the soviet Union, so again there was a little bit of a balancing act going on there. (I could also point out that Allende did not receive a majority of votes, and was taking actions that the judicial branch of the government thought was inappropriate.)

Ideally, it is for the best if elections are run with no outside interference, but sadly the 'idea' isn't always reached.

I remember an episode of Star Trek, where the enterprise encountered a planet where the inhabitants were not technologically. Kirk found that the Klingons were arming some of the inhabitants with advanced weapons (at least for them), so Kirk thought it necessary to arm the opposing faction with the same number and type of weapons to maintain balance.

Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer
I cheered when then the WTC came down. - UndercoverElephant (a.k.a. JustGeoff)
I cheer Bin Laden... - JustGeoff (a.k.a. UndercoverElephant)
Bin Laden delivered justice - JustGeoff (a.k.a. UndercoverElephant)
Men shop for lingerie the way kids shop for breakfast cereal... they will buy something they know nothing about, just to get the prize inside. - Jeff Foxworthy
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2017, 04:52 PM   #283
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Apparently the (declassified version of the) report has just been released. And from a skim, it seems to be not about hacking at all, but more like an elaborate whining about RT, which as we all know tries to influence "western" audiences to be more understanding of the Russian position.

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 6th January 2017 at 05:00 PM.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2017, 05:03 PM   #284
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
I'm pretty sure they would just need to look up the relevant logs that recorded the internet traffic to-and-from the server. That way they would be able to see who sent and received messages, if not actually what was in that those messages as well.

From what i read they got access through a phising email so it's quite possible that there wasn't any actual malware on the DNC server but rather it would've been on someones personal/work computer instead.
Thank you, that makes sense. Internet logs to see what info went where.
Chris B.
One could choose to be civil though and still disagree. For example, since I know Bigfoot does exist, I don't call others "idiot" just because they're uneducated on the subject and share a different view based on that lack of experience. Chris B.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2017, 06:35 PM   #285
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster

http://i.imgur.com/jdNH0FB.png

Apparently the (declassified version of the) report has just been released. And from a skim, it seems to be not about hacking at all, but more like an elaborate whining about RT, which as we all know tries to influence "western" audiences to be more understanding of the Russian position.

LOL That report was hilarious. So Russian TV ads mean the Russians are interfering with our elections? Oh, my side hurts....

This report was written specifically by Clinton supporters. It shows and glows as such. I don't believe a word of it either for that reason.

Russia hired internet trolls! LMAO. Poor Hillary, the Russian trolls beat her up on Yahoo! Oh, this is rich!
Chris B.
One could choose to be civil though and still disagree. For example, since I know Bigfoot does exist, I don't call others "idiot" just because they're uneducated on the subject and share a different view based on that lack of experience. Chris B.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2017, 06:46 PM   #286
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

полезные дураки
Old 6th January 2017, 07:36 PM   #287
zorro99
Critical Thinker

The Russians hacked the DNC and other institutions, per the report. Mr Trump invited them to do so then insulted the intel community for pointing this out. This is a serious matter. The message has been sent that foreign agents can hack into our systems with impunity. Foreign intelligence assets no longer will feel confident sharing information. Mr Trump has put our nation in danger.
Old 6th January 2017, 09:22 PM   #288
caveman1917
Illuminator

Apparently the (declassified version of the) report has just been released.
Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
We're just never going to get to the evidence, are we...
As always.
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2017, 09:24 PM   #289
caveman1917
Illuminator

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
The Russians hacked the DNC and other institutions
Evidence?
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2017, 09:43 PM   #290
Noztradamus
Illuminator

Evidence?
The DNC said so
Old 6th January 2017, 10:56 PM   #291
caveman1917
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Noztradamus View Post
The DNC said so
That's not evidence.
Old 6th January 2017, 10:57 PM   #292
zorro99
Critical Thinker

Evidence?
The intelligence community report on Russian activities in the 2016 election

This is the declassified version of the intelligence community's report on Russian activities and elections in the November election.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/apps/...mepage%2Fstory

Last edited by zorro99; 6th January 2017 at 11:03 PM.
zorro99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2017, 12:45 AM   #293
WilliamSeger
Graduate Poster

After the briefing, Trump said, "I learned a lot and I think they did also."

Standard Trump BS, or a serious delusion? Or was their ever any difference? Things that make you go hmmm...

Last edited by WilliamSeger; 7th January 2017 at 12:59 AM. Reason: typo
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2017, 12:58 AM   #294
WilliamSeger
Graduate Poster

Evidence?
It's in the report. Your skepticism is understandable, so I think we should have some Congressional investigations to look into it further, don't you?

Last edited by WilliamSeger; 7th January 2017 at 12:59 AM. Reason: sp
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2017, 02:06 AM   #295
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
After the briefing, Trump said, "I learned a lot and I think they did also."

Standard Trump BS, or a serious delusion? Or was their ever any difference? Things that make you go hmmm...
In a way, The Hair is right about this being like WMD in Iraq. In that instance the intelligence community was under pressure from the Executive to shade intelligence toward their conclusion that Iraq possessed these weapons. Now the intelligence community is under pressure to make it appear as though The Hair is not a dirty traitor.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2017, 06:06 AM   #296
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

I find it silly that political leaders and the intelligence community are trying to "persuade" Trump that Putin coordinated Russian interference in the USA POTUS election.

There is no need to persuade Trump, he knows and doesn't care.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2017, 07:37 AM   #297
Wolrab
Illuminator

I can't believe you people can't understand that Donald Trump failed to protect the cyber security of his own party and government institutions. What has he been doing for the last eight years?
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2017, 08:22 AM   #298
caveman1917
Illuminator

The intelligence community report on Russian activities in the 2016 election

This is the declassified version of the intelligence community's report on Russian activities and elections in the November election.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/apps/...mepage%2Fstory
This was already linked to, it contains no evidence.
Old 7th January 2017, 08:24 AM   #299
caveman1917
Illuminator

It's in the report.
Quote the part that contains the evidence.

Quote:
Your skepticism is understandable, so I think we should have some Congressional investigations to look into it further, don't you?
I think people should provide evidence to back up their claims.
Old 7th January 2017, 08:49 AM   #300
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Noztradamus View Post
The DNC said so
The security firm that the DNC hired caught them in the act, and several other firms agree with the assessment of that firm.

It is not 'the DNC said so'.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2017, 09:11 AM   #301
WilliamSeger
Graduate Poster

Quote the part that contains the evidence.

I think people should provide evidence to back up their claims.
I'm pretty sure that showing you what's in the classified report would serve no purpose, but I'll put you down as strongly supporting a full Congressional investigation, right?
Old 7th January 2017, 09:22 AM   #302
caveman1917
Illuminator

I'm pretty sure that showing you what's in the classified report would serve no purpose
You claimed it contained evidence, yet all I can see are claims and accusations. Feel free to quote the part containing the evidence.

ETA: nevermind, you are now talking about the classified report, my bad

Quote:
but I'll put you down as strongly supporting a full Congressional investigation, right?
No.

Last edited by caveman1917; 7th January 2017 at 09:34 AM.
Old 7th January 2017, 09:28 AM   #303
phiwum
Philosopher

You claimed it contained evidence, yet all I can see are claims and accusations. Feel free to quote the part containing the evidence.

No.
Can you explain why you don't want elected officials, from both parties, to evaluate the evidence and come to a conclusion?

The evidence is confidential. I more or less trust the intelligence agencies to determine whether it ought to be confidential (if I can see it, so can everyone else in the world) and I more or less trust a bipartisan committee to tell me whether it establishes the claim. What other options are there? Do you distrust the claims of the intelligence community in general, or only here?

There's no doubt that we've been fooled before when it comes to such reports. The Iraq WMD debacle was one memorable time, though I don't know how much the agencies were to blame, and how much the administration spun it. I surely don't think that the agencies would have an interest in lying about their best evidence regarding Russian involvement.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2017, 09:53 AM   #304
caveman1917
Illuminator

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Can you explain why you don't want elected officials, from both parties, to evaluate the evidence and come to a conclusion?
As far as I'm concerned they can do whatever they want.

Quote:
The evidence is confidential.
Evidence? For all we know it doesn't exist, it could have been fabricated, pulled out of context, or any other number of possibilities.

Quote:
I more or less trust the intelligence agencies to determine whether it ought to be confidential (if I can see it, so can everyone else in the world) and I more or less trust a bipartisan committee to tell me whether it establishes the claim.
You keep saying "bipartisan" as if that means anything. All you're really saying here is that you've chosen a bunch of individuals and assigned "trust" to them.

Quote:
What other options are there? Do you distrust the claims of the intelligence community in general, or only here?
I don't trust any claim which the claimant is refusing to back up with evidence.

Especially if the evidence which does get through came down to a bunch of IP addresses which were claimed to be "associated with Russia" but turned out to be Tor exit nodes, and a piece of malware "used by the Russians" which turns out to be publicly available to anyone wanting to buy it.

Quote:
There's no doubt that we've been fooled before when it comes to such reports.
Apparently there's an old saying in Tennessee: "fool me once, shame on shame on you. Fool me you can't get fooled again."

Quote:
I surely don't think that the agencies would have an interest in lying about their best evidence regarding Russian involvement.
I'm going to venture a guess here and say that's probably the exact same thing you would've said about the Iraqi WMD's as well.
Old 7th January 2017, 10:14 AM   #305
phiwum
Philosopher

You keep saying "bipartisan" as if that means anything. All you're really saying here is that you've chosen a bunch of individuals and assigned "trust" to them.
That is part of the nature of being governed, you know.

The "bipartisan" thing matters precisely because it minimizes the probability of bias. If Democrats alone were to look at the evidence, then we'd have good reason to be suspect. If both parties look at the evidence and come to the same conclusion, then we have better reason to believe that conclusion.

You seem to think that unless you personally see the evidence, there's no reason to accept the claim. But this isn't how we actually live our lives. I haven't seen evidence of the Higgs Boson, but I accept the testimony of authorities who I deem to be trustworthy. And I won't be able to see the evidence of Russian hacking, since I stand no chance to get a security clearance. But I'll accept the words of those I deem reasonably trustworthy. After all, that's the best I'll get.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2017, 10:19 AM   #306
phiwum
Philosopher

I'm going to venture a guess here and say that's probably the exact same thing you would've said about the Iraqi WMD's as well.
It has been a long time since the WMD story, so my memory is fuzzy. I don't recall a clear publication by the intelligence community (rather than the administration) that asserted confidence that Iraq had WMDs.

The administration clearly had aims and intentions for going into Iraq, for reasons which puzzle me to this day. I was sorry to see Powell sully his good name supporting these allegations.
Old 7th January 2017, 10:56 AM   #307
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Some reactions to the "report". Seems like nobody's buying Clapper's claptrap.
Old 7th January 2017, 10:57 AM   #308
caveman1917
Illuminator

That is part of the nature of being governed, you know.
No it isn't, you're substituting ideology for objectivity. If anything it's the opposite, power corrupts, therefor people with power should be less trusted rather than more.

Quote:
The "bipartisan" thing matters precisely because it minimizes the probability of bias.
No it doesn't. It lowers the probability of bias, I'll give you that, but it doesn't minimize it. What would come close to minimizing the probability of bias would be publishing the evidence so that everyone can have a go at it.

Quote:
If Democrats alone were to look at the evidence, then we'd have good reason to be suspect. If both parties look at the evidence and come to the same conclusion, then we have better reason to believe that conclusion.
Still indistinguishable from having zero reason to believe that conclusion.

Quote:
You seem to think that unless you personally see the evidence, there's no reason to accept the claim.
No, I think that unless anyone can, at least in principle, see the evidence, there's no reason to accept the claim.

Quote:
But this isn't how we actually live our lives.
Not sure who this "we" is you're talking about, but if you mean "Americans" live their lives by assigning "trust" to their government then you'd be wrong.

Quote:
I haven't seen evidence of the Higgs Boson, but I accept the testimony of authorities who I deem to be trustworthy.
Actually, if you were doubtful of the Higgs boson, you could easily find publications on the evidence, you could get the dataset and do your own analysis, or you could do the entire experiment again yourself.

You are using a faulty analogy, since scientific "authority" is clearly based on other principles (independently verifiable, for one, but also others) than governmental "authority".

Quote:
And I won't be able to see the evidence of Russian hacking, since I stand no chance to get a security clearance.
We haven't even established yet that there is any evidence in the first place.

How do you know that, specifically, not getting a security clearance is the reason you won't be able to see the evidence of Russian hacking? In what way have you eliminated the possibility of, even having a security clearance, still not seeing evidence because what is there has *insert flaw*?

Quote:
But I'll accept the words of those I deem reasonably trustworthy. After all, that's the best I'll get.
It could also be the worst you'll get, depending on who exactly you deem "reasonably trustworthy".

Last edited by caveman1917; 7th January 2017 at 10:59 AM.
Old 7th January 2017, 11:17 AM   #309
phiwum
Philosopher

No it isn't, you're substituting ideology for objectivity. If anything it's the opposite, power corrupts, therefor people with power should be less trusted rather than more.

No it doesn't. It lowers the probability of bias, I'll give you that, but it doesn't minimize it. What would come close to minimizing the probability of bias would be publishing the evidence so that everyone can have a go at it.

Still indistinguishable from having zero reason to believe that conclusion.

No, I think that unless anyone can, at least in principle, see the evidence, there's no reason to accept the claim.

Not sure who this "we" is you're talking about, but if you mean "Americans" live their lives by assigning "trust" to their government then you'd be wrong.

Actually, if you were doubtful of the Higgs boson, you could easily find publications on the evidence, you could get the dataset and do your own analysis, or you could do the entire experiment again yourself.

You are using a faulty analogy, since scientific "authority" is clearly based on other principles (independently verifiable, for one, but also others) than governmental "authority".

We haven't even established yet that there is any evidence in the first place.

How do you know that, specifically, not getting a security clearance is the reason you won't be able to see the evidence of Russian hacking? In what way have you eliminated the possibility of, even having a security clearance, still not seeing evidence because what is there has *insert flaw*?

It could also be the worst you'll get, depending on who exactly you deem "reasonably trustworthy".
This seems to be an unreasonably naive view of skepticism. If a bipartisan group of senators, roughly half of whom have a vested interest in denying the claim, agree that the evidence is there, then it seems to me more plausible than not. You won't see the evidence with your own eyes, and it might take some time to even understand what you're seeing, if you aren't trained in computer security. (In this respect, the analogy with the Higgs Boson was apt -- it would take years of study to determine whether or not the evidence was there.)

So long as you require personally reviewing the evidence, there are many claims made by the intelligence community which falls short of your standard. So it goes.
Old 7th January 2017, 11:45 AM   #310
caveman1917
Illuminator

This seems to be an unreasonably naive view of skepticism.
Yours is the unreasonably naive position, as well as the ideological one.

Quote:
If a bipartisan group of senators, roughly half of whom have a vested interest in denying the claim, agree that the evidence is there, then it seems to me more plausible than not.
A few senators in the US does not constitute an oracle, no matter how "bipartisan" they may be.

Quote:
You won't see the evidence with your own eyes, and it might take some time to even understand what you're seeing, if you aren't trained in computer security. (In this respect, the analogy with the Higgs Boson was apt -- it would take years of study to determine whether or not the evidence was there.)
This is irrelevant. Besides, then why not show the evidence to a bunch of computer scientists rather than some senators in the US?

Quote:
So long as you require personally reviewing the evidence, there are many claims made by the intelligence community which falls short of your standard.
I don't require that.
Old 7th January 2017, 12:07 PM   #311
phiwum
Philosopher

Yours is the unreasonably naive position, as well as the ideological one.

A few senators in the US does not constitute an oracle, no matter how "bipartisan" they may be.

This is irrelevant. Besides, then why not show the evidence to a bunch of computer scientists rather than some senators in the US?
Because a bunch of computer scientists have not been elected to represent us. It is part of the role of senators to investigate matters like this, being shown evidence that isn't available to you and me. I expect that the evidence will be explained to them as clearly as one can, and I also worry that they're not the most qualified to evaluate it, but that's really how these things work.

Quote:
I don't require that.
No? Perhaps I misunderstand you. I thought that you demanded to see evidence here before agreeing that the conclusion was correct.
Old 7th January 2017, 12:25 PM   #312
caveman1917
Illuminator

Because a bunch of computer scientists have not been elected to represent us.
Well that's hardly my problem, no?

Quote:
It is part of the role of senators to investigate matters like this, being shown evidence that isn't available to you and me.
They will be shown something, that's for sure. Whether that something is, in fact, evidence has yet to be established.

Quote:
I expect that the evidence will be explained to them as clearly as one can, and I also worry that they're not the most qualified to evaluate it, but that's really how these things work.
They don't really seem to work at all. You're picking the statistically least likely to be trustworthy people and making them into an oracle. What would really make these things work is something called evidence.

Quote:
No? Perhaps I misunderstand you. I thought that you demanded to see evidence here before agreeing that the conclusion was correct.
No, I think that unless anyone can, at least in principle, see the evidence, there's no reason to accept the claim. I've already said this.
Old 7th January 2017, 12:44 PM   #313
phiwum
Philosopher

I don't require that.
So long as you require personally reviewing the evidence, there are many claims made by the intelligence community which falls short of your standard. So it goes.
No, I think that unless anyone can, at least in principle, see the evidence, there's no reason to accept the claim. I've already said this.
Okay, fair enough. Your demand is even more extreme than I suggested. But that's not really a realistic demand. The fact is that sometimes, evidence is classified and the people who've been chosen to represent our interests (either in the intelligence community or elected to the Senate) evaluate the evidence and give their assessment.

That's how it works. Maybe you dismiss such reports each time, but intelligence gathering is not the same thing as science, and sometimes the evidence is hidden from the general public because the means used to gather it are sensitive.
Old 7th January 2017, 12:54 PM   #314
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

This thread is an example of why they hysteria over Russia is being pushed instead of the CONTENT of the Podesta emails and other wikileaks material.

Look over there! Look over there! The Russians! The Russians!

But a lot of us are just reading the Wikileaks tweets every day because in ten years not one document they have released has ever been proven false. We get real content this way and have plenty of online researchers helping organize it in various themes for us.

While the mainstream media continues to blow its horns and sirens, clanging gongs and beating drums, trying to manipulate us into a stupor.

You can tell instantly whether someone gets their information from the idiot box, boob tube, or whatever you want to call it. The fact they can watch it says a lot about them.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2017, 12:57 PM   #315
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
This thread is an example of why they hysteria over Russia is being pushed instead of the CONTENT of the Podesta emails and other wikileaks material.
This point is really really dumb. We have discussed them endlessly. Some had their own threads. We had threads about the content. This thread is about the process of releasing them.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2017, 01:18 PM   #316
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post

Look over there! Look over there! The Russians! The Russians!

But a lot of us are just reading the Wikileaks tweets every day because in ten years not one document they have released has ever been proven false. We get real content this way and have plenty of online researchers helping organize it in various themes for us.

While the mainstream media continues to blow its horns and sirens, clanging gongs and beating drums, trying to manipulate us into a stupor.

You can tell instantly whether someone gets their information from the idiot box, boob tube, or whatever you want to call it. The fact they can watch it says a lot about them.
Say, what was in the content of the Republican and Trump campaign emails, that didn't get released?
Old 7th January 2017, 01:27 PM   #317
zorro99
Critical Thinker

This was already linked to, it contains no evidence.
As stated, the declassified report does not contain specific evidence as doing so would compromise intelligence sources and methods.

However, I suspect that President Obama will declassify portions of the report prior to his leaving office.

In the meantime, here's a good article from the NYT providing a pretty good case using publicly-available information that the Russians successfully phished Podesta's email credentials. I suggested reading it in full prior to commenting:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...imes&smtyp=cur

BTW: Mr. Trump asserted that a 400-pound man from his bed hacked the DNC. Are you aware of any evidence that would support his contention?

Last edited by zorro99; 7th January 2017 at 01:28 PM.
zorro99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2017, 01:29 PM   #318
caveman1917
Illuminator

Okay, fair enough. Your demand is even more extreme than I suggested.
What is extreme is your demand that a few random people should be considered an oracle, apparently because your ideology requires this. How is this different from some religious cult?

Quote:
That's how it works.
It doesn't work at all.
Old 7th January 2017, 01:34 PM   #319
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

As stated, the declassified report does not contain specific evidence as doing so would compromise intelligence sources and methods.
Then we should ignore the claims
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2017, 01:38 PM   #320
phiwum
Philosopher

BTW: Mr. Trump asserted that a 400-pound man from his bed hacked the DNC. Are you aware of any evidence that would support his contention?
It is not my habit to defend Trump, but no, he didn't assert any such thing.

He said, more or less, for all we know, it was our mythical behemoth. Not quite the same thing as asserting it was this guy.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics