ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2016 elections , Clinton controversies , hillary clinton , James Comey , presidential candidates

Old 30th October 2016, 04:01 PM   #161
John Jones
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
Just because there are two possibilities doesn't mean they are equally likely. It is vastly more likely that it will be nothing.
Show your maths.
John Jones is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2016, 04:12 PM   #162
Hercules56
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
An accusation that evidence exists to show Donald is coordinating with Russia!? HOLY CRAP! He better not be just being a blowhard again because that is a serious claim.
Yes, these are very serious accusations that better have evidence to support it.

Otherwise Reid is committing political libel.
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2016, 04:15 PM   #163
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by Hercules56 View Post
Yes, these are very serious accusations that better have evidence to support it.

Sort of like what republitards in Congress have been doing the last 8 years?
Old 30th October 2016, 04:21 PM   #164
ddt
Mafia Penguin

And then what? Reid is not up for re-election.

But really, what is this whole election about? Is it all about sex?

Clinton is bad because her husband got a blow-job from an intern 20 years ago.
Now she's bad because she somehow hides her emails between the nude selfies of the husband of her aide.
Trump grabs them all by the pussy.

What about discussing, you know, politics?

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2016, 04:21 PM   #165
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!

Wouldn't be the first time. Harry likes throwing out unsupported accusations as if they were truths. It's what he does.
Old 30th October 2016, 04:24 PM   #166
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
Show your maths.
The fact that they have already looked into this (including Huma's emails) and found nothing.
Old 30th October 2016, 04:30 PM   #167
Hercules56
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Sort of like what republitards in Congress have been doing the last 8 years?
Forgive me, but I do expect more from Democrats than from well, Republicans.
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2016, 04:30 PM   #168
yodaluver28
Muse

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Wouldn't be the first time. Harry likes throwing out unsupported accusations as if they were truths. It's what he does.
If Trump, Pence, Giuliani, Christie, Palin, Ryan, and Comey can do it, why not Reid? Why is Reid held to a higher standard than the thousands of Republicans who've deliberately, knowingly lied about the Clintons, Gores, Kerrys, and Obamas for literally 25 years, to the great detriment of the entire nation, if not the whole world?

At least Reid is trying to save this country from psychotic, irrational, racist, sexist, and religious extremist tyranny, not create it.
Old 30th October 2016, 04:30 PM   #169
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cantonear1968 View Post
I have no idea what this was supposed to mean.

I'm aware of Podesta's email and what it says. You used this to claim HRC has a serious drinking problem. I'm now asking for your evidence of this. You avoided it the first time around.
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
No I did not.

I betcha Hillary is lit today, huh?

You claimed I avoided it last time, which was false. Read better
Old 30th October 2016, 04:32 PM   #170
Hercules56
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Examples?
Old 30th October 2016, 04:35 PM   #171
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Harry Reid is such a *********** clown.

Hey Harry? Your ******** is not going to remove those emails from Hillary's body woman's computer, where they were stored next to Weiner's spank bank.
Old 30th October 2016, 04:35 PM   #172
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

The fact that they have already looked into this (including Huma's emails) and found nothing.
Tharp why Comey's letter is nothing but a political stunt. There is no reason that this computer is going to change anything in regards to Hillary Clinton. He knows this
A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. But the tumult soon subsides. Time makes more converts than reason.
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2016, 04:36 PM   #173
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Molinaro View Post
Keep in mind many of her emails had very large numbers of people CC'd.

Is Hillary somehow responsible...?

Also keep in mind that all of Crooked Hillary's emails were sent using an unsecure (and arguably an illegal) private server, including emails to and from the President of the United States.

So, is Hillary somehow responsible? Well, she has said that she takes "full responsibility" for the private server.

If her emails ultimately ended up on a sexual perverts laptop, then it's Hillary's fault for not using the governments secure network -- "state.gov".

Last edited by Slings and Arrows; 30th October 2016 at 04:41 PM.
Slings and Arrows is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2016, 04:36 PM   #174
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Tharp why Comey's letter is nothing but a political stunt. There is no reason that this computer is going to change anything in regards to Hillary Clinton. He knows this
Cool conspiracy theory.

Unless weiner had a top secret clearance, those emails were in the wild.
Old 30th October 2016, 04:38 PM   #175
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
No, they found out too many actually liked the lashes.
Fetch... the comfy chair!
Old 30th October 2016, 04:38 PM   #176
newyorkguy
Philosopher

Back in August Harry Reid released a letter he wrote to James Comey asking him to investigate the disturbing reports that were circulating about the Russian Government, Donald Trump and the 2016 presidential election. In the letter Reid raised specific allegations.

Is that what the letter he sent to Comey today is referring to? That these allegations have some merit?

Trump has been calling the FBI "corrupt" for weeks. Maybe he was right.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2016, 04:40 PM   #177
Argumemnon
World Maker

Ow.
Old 30th October 2016, 04:41 PM   #178
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Slings and Arrows View Post
Also keep in mind that all of Crooked Hillary's emails were sent using an unsecure (and arguably an illegal) private server, including emails to and from the President of the United States.

So, is Hillary somehow responsible? Well, she has said that she takes "full responsibility" for the private server.

If her emails ended up on a sexual perverts laptop, then it's Hillary's fault for not using the governments secure network -- "state.gov".
State.gov isn't a secure network.
Old 30th October 2016, 04:42 PM   #179
Argumemnon
World Maker

No, no, man. He wants math. Because when determining likelihoods in a political bicker-fest, we still have to use standardized formulae.
Old 30th October 2016, 04:45 PM   #180
Minoosh
Philosopher

Hey, maybe Comey can be indicted for "gross negligence." Yeah, that's the ticket!
Maybe he can be. I don't know the actual law that would be invoked. Obstruction of justice, maybe. I'm being much easier on Comey than many on this board. My latest hare-brained theory is that he was given a green light to leak it, while the JD would publicly condemn him, while Hillary would demand he release evidence she knows he can't.

Yes, it's wild but my speculation as to Comey's justification (not his motive, but his rationalization) was right on point, in Part 3 of the thread, and I was blasted for that. I speculated he would indicate that he was trying to get in front of the story because he was certain the discovery would be leaked before the election. It turns out that is exactly what he told colleagues, according to those colleagues, as reported in the New York Times. Now my theory is that HRC knew this was going to happen, and is savvy enough to plan a strategic response - something Donald could never do. This issue is now being hashed over so much people's eyes are beginning to glaze over. There's a big backlash of people condemning Comey and apparently many voters report they are more likely to vote for Hillary than they were before.

Here is something off: I've seen cops get search warrants over the phone at 2 a.m. It's routine. There's probably even a rotation set up for which judge to contact given the day and time. FBI agents could be given limited top-secret security access, if they don't have it already. As I said in the old thread to me the most damning thing is that he flatly stated the emails were pertinent, before backpedaling somewhat.

I find it very odd that a search warrant hasn't been issued. It may even have been turned down under the "fruit of the poison tree" doctrine, making the emails inadmissible, ever, in a criminal case against Clinton, or Huma. There may even be appeals going on. Comey could well be as oily as the Hillary supporters are pointing out - that he knew he had nothing, would never get access but that he lobbed it over to his GOP buddies for a smear campaign. I'm not sure that happened, but I am fairly confident that there is more to this than meets the eye.

ETA: Wasn't keeping up; warranted issued. Theory: Judiciary mad as hell at Comey but knows at this point the emails must be read.

Last edited by Minoosh; 30th October 2016 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Bolding ETA
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2016, 04:46 PM   #181
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Maybe he can be. I don't know the actual law that would be invoked. Obstruction of justice, maybe. I'm being much easier on Comey than many on this board. My latest hare-brained theory is that he was given a green light to leak it, while the JD would publicly condemn him, while Hillary would demand he release evidence she knows he can't.

Yes, it's wild but my speculation as to Comey's justification (not his motive, but his rationalization) was on right point, in Part 3 of the thread, and I was blasted for that. I speculated he would indicate that he was trying to get in front of the story because he was certain the discovery would be leaked before the election. It turns out that is exactly what he told colleagues, according to those colleagues, as reported in the New York Times. Now my theory is that HRC knew this was going to happen, and is savvy enough to plan a strategic response - something Donald could never do. This issue is now being hashed over so much people's eyes are beginning to glaze over. There's a big backlash of people condemning Comey and apparently many voters report they are more likely to vote for Hillary than they were before.

Here is something off: I've seen cops get search warrants over the phone at 2 a.m. It's routine. There's probably even a rotation set up for which judge to contact given the day and time. FBI agents could be given limited top-secret security access, if they don't have it already. As I said in the old thread to me the most damning thing is that he flatly stated the emails were pertinent, before backpedaling somewhat.

I find it very odd that a search warrant hasn't been issued. It may even have been turned down under the "fruit of the poison tree" doctrine, making the emails inadmissible, ever, in a criminal case against Clinton, or Huma. There may even be appeals going on. Comey could well be as oily as the Hillary supporters are pointing out - that he knew he had nothing, would never get access but that he lobbed it over to his GOP buddies for a smear campaign. I'm not sure that happened, but I am fairly confident that there is more to this than meets the eye.
They got the search warrant today.
Old 30th October 2016, 04:46 PM   #182
ddt
Mafia Penguin

If her emails ultimately ended up on a sexual perverts laptop, then it's Hillary's fault for not using the governments secure network -- "state.gov".
An internet domain does not equal a secure network. It does not even equal a network.

Maybe Harry Reid has Trump's Zinoviev Letter. At this point in time, it does not matter for the outcome whether damaging information is actually true or not.

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2016, 04:48 PM   #183
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
Show your maths.
Based on the whole lot of nothing that turned up in a previous and very thorough investigation, inductive reasoning might be invoked to say it's more likely than not that investigators will find no smoking gun.

Not that you asked me.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2016, 04:57 PM   #184
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...f04_story.html

650,000 emails.

Hillary demands that they all get released right now!

What a maroon.
Old 30th October 2016, 04:59 PM   #185
newyorkguy
Philosopher

This is from a New York Times article from two months ago:
Quote:
[Senator Harry] Reid argued that the connections between some of Donald J. Trump’s former and current advisers and the Russian leadership should, by itself, prompt an investigation. He referred indirectly in his letter to a speech given in Russia by one Trump adviser, Carter Page, a consultant and investor in the energy giant Gazprom, who criticized American sanctions policy toward Russia. article link
Also in August it was reported that federal law enforcement officials had warned two states (Arizona and Illinois), that "foreign hackers" had gotten into their voter registration systems. Reid said at the time he feared Russia might be looking for ways to tamper with vote counts.

Reid also mentioned that Donald 'He Who Can Never Keep His Mouth Shut' Trump keeps hammering away at the notion the election is fixable.
Quote:
“Trump and his people keep saying the election is rigged,” Mr. Reid said. “Why is he saying that? Because people are telling him the election can be messed with.” Mr. Trump’s advisers say they are concerned that unnamed elites could rig the election for his opponent, Hillary Clinton.
Would the idea that Trump had actually sunk so low as to work with officials of a pretty bad foreign government to sabotage our presidential election, would that cause even hardcore Trump supporters to finally say, "Enough!"

I doubt it.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2016, 04:59 PM   #186
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
An internet domain does not equal a secure network. It does not even equal a network.

Okay, if her emails ended up on a sexual perverts laptop, then it's Hillary's fault for not using a government approved secure server when corresponding with the President of the United States.

Does that sound any better?
Slings and Arrows is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2016, 05:04 PM   #187
Minoosh
Philosopher

They got the search warrant today.
I saw.

Under normal circumstances I could easily see a judge denying the warrant based on the "fruit of the poison tree" doctrine. The fact that it took 2 days is strange. I wonder if they had to shop around for a judge. IMO it would be perfectly defensible to deny the warrant if Comey hadn't forced the judiciary's hand. Preemptively suppressing the evidence now would just make things worse.
Old 30th October 2016, 05:04 PM   #188
newyorkguy
Philosopher

Okay, if her emails ended up on a sexual perverts laptop, then it's Hillary's fault...

Some of Hillary Clinton's emails ended up on Donald Trump's laptop? Wow.
Old 30th October 2016, 05:06 PM   #189
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
This is from a New York Times article from two months ago:

Also in August it was reported that federal law enforcement officials had warned two states (Arizona and Illinois), that "foreign hackers" had gotten into their voter registration systems. Reid said at the time he feared Russia might be looking for ways to tamper with vote counts.

Reid also mentioned that Donald 'He Who Can Never Keep His Mouth Shut' Trump keeps hammering away at the notion the election is fixable.

Would the idea that Trump had actually sunk so low as to work with officials of a pretty bad foreign government to sabotage our presidential election, would that cause even hardcore Trump supporters to finally say, "Enough!"

I doubt it.
Hatch violation! Oh wait, political mutts like Reid are immune.

Investigate them both, start with Hillary though.
Old 30th October 2016, 05:08 PM   #190
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Okay, if her emails ended up on a sexual perverts laptop, then it's Hillary's fault for not using a government approved secure server when corresponding with the President of the United States.

No, the fact is they were on her aide's husband's laptop is not something you would think think the Secretary would be able to guard against.
A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. But the tumult soon subsides. Time makes more converts than reason.
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2016, 05:09 PM   #191
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

I saw.

Under normal circumstances I could easily see a judge denying the warrant based on the "fruit of the poison tree" doctrine. The fact that it took 2 days is strange. I wonder if they had to shop around for a judge. IMO it would be perfectly defensible to deny the warrant if Comey hadn't forced the judiciary's hand. Preemptively suppressing the evidence now would just make things worse.
that makes no sense. Finding evidence of another crime on a legally seized laptop is not fruit of the poisonous tree. Everything you wrote is wrong.
Old 30th October 2016, 05:09 PM   #192
newyorkguy
Philosopher

I doubt it.
Hatch violation! Oh wait, political mutts like Reid are immune. Investigate them both, start with Hillary though.
Told you!
Old 30th October 2016, 05:10 PM   #193
Tony Stark
Philosopher

You don't know what you are talking about. Using an official state.gov account wouldn't have prevented emails from ending up on the laptop.
Old 30th October 2016, 05:10 PM   #194
Minoosh
Philosopher

I saw.

ETA: I've used up all my free samples of the Washington Post. Am really wondering about TBD's claim of 650,000 emails. At this point they should just be released. They should be declassified en masse (if necessary) and released. It would be an extraordinary step, but I believe the danger of potentially posting classified info is outweighed by the danger of keeping them under wraps. People have to see for themselves, come what may. Otherwise this will never go away.
Old 30th October 2016, 05:13 PM   #195
Minoosh
Philosopher

that makes no sense. Finding evidence of another crime on a legally seized laptop is not fruit of the poisonous tree.
That's for a judge to decide.
Old 30th October 2016, 05:13 PM   #196
Argumemnon
World Maker

What a maroon.
Unholy mother of Hell! I thought I was the only one using that expression, nowadays!
Old 30th October 2016, 05:14 PM   #197
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

I saw.

ETA: I've used up all my free samples of the Washington Post. Am really wondering about TBD's claim of 650,000 emails. At this point they should just be released. They should be declassified en masse (if necessary) and released. It would be an extraordinary step, but I believe the danger of potentially posting classified info is outweighed by the danger of keeping them under wraps. People have to see for themselves, come what may. Otherwise this will never go away.
Uh, not all of them are Hillary's but yeah, let's just blow off classification rules because Hillary is a scumbag.
Old 30th October 2016, 05:15 PM   #198
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

That's for a judge to decide.
WRONG because the legally seized lap top is not a poisonous tree, therefore the whole claim that the emails are the fruits is utterly false.

So silly.
Old 30th October 2016, 05:17 PM   #199
Minoosh
Philosopher

Of course not. He invited foreign governments to hack as much as they can.

But it might influence "undecideds."
Old 30th October 2016, 05:23 PM   #200
newyorkguy
Philosopher

Would the idea that Trump had actually sunk so low as to work with officials of a pretty bad foreign government to sabotage our presidential election, would that cause even hardcore Trump supporters to finally say, "Enough!" (
Of course not. He invited foreign governments to hack as much as they can...
They prefer Vladimir Putin to Hillary Clinton? And don't bother to answer that, I already know the answer.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics