ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2016 election results , 2016 elections , donald trump , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 9th November 2016, 03:25 AM   #41
Aepervius
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
Where does the surprise and shock come from? They offered us two crappy candidates and we chose one. It doesn't much matter which, since half the country would still be singing the blues.

So you voted for kang.....
Aepervius is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 03:27 AM   #42
Aepervius
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lennart Hyland View Post
If I were a US citizen I would move to Mexico and pay for the wall!
Or move north. Apparently the Canada immigration web site crashed under heavy load.
Aepervius is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 03:36 AM   #43
Degeneve
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
"Markets are Plunging around the World" says Bloomberg headline.
Not Moscow stock exchange, apparently. This tells it all...
Degeneve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 03:38 AM   #44
varwoche
Philosopher

I've long thought that it was impossible to underestimate the intellect of the US electorate. Then, as it became apparent that Trump would lose, I had to loosen my grip on that concept. It's bleakly reassuring that I was right to begin with.
Old 9th November 2016, 03:47 AM   #45
Degeneve
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Caper View Post
Trump is a moron. But I'm willing to bet that Trump will have the ability to go further to the left on health care then Obama was able to.
With the warm approval of a republican Congress?
Degeneve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 04:00 AM   #46
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Under, I'd say.

If I had a billion US dollars right now, I'd be changing it to rupees as fast as you can print them.

Trump will bring economic disaster to USA. The markets will open like Black Monday tomorrow morning. I'd even say that 600 on Dow futures tonight is a steal.

The nightmare reality will hit tomorrow.

Has Alex Jones been appointed to cabinet yet?
But it will be the Greatest Depression(tm). Trump does nothing half way.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 04:02 AM   #47
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Caper View Post
Trump is a moron. But I'm willing to bet that Trump will have the ability to go further to the left on health care then Obama was able to.
Why or how? they are determined to undo that. The ACA was the conservatives ideas, the only thing they have left is massive deregulation.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 04:03 AM   #48
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
We have to go back and look at all the "day one" style speeches he made. They all do it, promise to do X or Y within the first hundred days, or whatever. Remember Obama closing Guantanamo? Like that.
So you are betting on congress blocking his excesses?
Old 9th November 2016, 04:06 AM   #49
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

Trump is now staying up all night, frantically googling "what does the president do".
Old 9th November 2016, 04:11 AM   #50
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
I've said it before, and I won't have to say it again: Hillary Clinton has never won an election that she wasn't handed on a silver platter. Worst. Candidate. Ever.
This was a silver platter. She wanted gold though.
Old 9th November 2016, 04:13 AM   #51
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Very good point.

He may not just destroy America, but the entire planet.

Well played, US voters.
Nay, the entire universe and the fabric of space/time is in peril!!!!

Perilous peril!!
Old 9th November 2016, 04:18 AM   #52
smartcooky
Philosopher

Congratulations America, you have just made Vladimir Putin the most powerful Geo-Political figure in the world.

Ol' Vlad will be piddling himself laughing as he eyes up some of the Balkan States and Ukraine for some "close attention".
OCCAMS Razor - 9/11 was a terrorist attack by Islamic extremists organised by Osama Bin Laden; the Apollo astronauts walked on the Moon; JFK was assassinated by a single gunmen, Lee Harvey Oswald, acting alone.
► "Conspiracism is a shortcut to the illusion of erudition." - JayUtah
► Heisenberg's Law - The weirdness of the Universe is inversely proportional to the scale at which you observe it, or not.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 04:24 AM   #53
smartcooky
Philosopher

Very good point.

He may not just destroy America, but the entire planet.

Well played, US voters.
Could the election of Trump as President be the trigger point for The Great Filter, and an explanation for the Fermi Paradox?

"Every planetary civilization at some point elects a complete and utter doofus as leader of that planet's greatest military power and triggers the self destruction of said civilization"
OCCAMS Razor - 9/11 was a terrorist attack by Islamic extremists organised by Osama Bin Laden; the Apollo astronauts walked on the Moon; JFK was assassinated by a single gunmen, Lee Harvey Oswald, acting alone.
► "Conspiracism is a shortcut to the illusion of erudition." - JayUtah
► Heisenberg's Law - The weirdness of the Universe is inversely proportional to the scale at which you observe it, or not.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 04:33 AM   #54
Sunstealer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
Or move north. Apparently the Canada immigration web site crashed under heavy load.
What about the Mexican one?
Sunstealer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 04:33 AM   #55
Wolrab
Illuminator

I switched back and forth between CNN and Fox. I don't know how many times the CNN team kept saying WE when talking about what Clinton needed to win. The Fox team at least managed to keep from doing that.
The hubris of the Clinton supporters was what did them in. Trump is and never has been the idiot they proclaimed. Lies about what he said were jammed down our throats sideways.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 04:36 AM   #56
shuize
Master Poster

I wasn't a huge Trump fan. But I'm enjoying watching all the smug liberals turning into pouty crybabies.

Last edited by shuize; 9th November 2016 at 04:42 AM.
shuize is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 04:39 AM   #57
newyorkguy
Philosopher

I watched the results on CNN last evening and you could see, starting about 8PM EST, it all started to go bad for Clinton. She lost by less than 100,000 votes out of about 120 million cast. What a shame as I'm sure she would have been a very good president.

Quote:
Mr. Trump vows...
  1. curb regulations that strangle businesses
  2. cut taxes to unleash the economy.
Very scary. For No. 1, I just read an article about the accelerating ice melt in Greenland and I'm sure the "regulations" The Don is talking about "curbing" are, in great measure, environmental ones.

As to No. 2, I took the tax test based on Trump's tax plan and, like most working class people, my federal income tax would rise by about one-third. Did the working/middle class people who voted for him even know that? Because let's face it, you don't cut taxes on the people in the middle in order to "unleash the economy," you cut taxes on those at the top. The problem is, they've been cutting taxes for those in the top percentiles of personal income for over thirty years. When do these people start creating all the jobs we keep hearing about? Well I take that back. They've created a lot of $10 an hour jobs, many of them part-time (meaning no benefits).

Unbelievable.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 04:41 AM   #58
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Come here to Scotland and pay Trump to build a wall round your own house, so he can force you out to build a golf course. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ours-home.html
Craig B is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 04:43 AM   #59
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

When it comes to economic plans, the Democrats should give Trump and the GOP everything they want. After the economy tanks, the Republicans can't blame it on Democratic obstructionism. Let's show the American people what trickle-down economics really is.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 04:46 AM   #60
jhunter1163
beer-swilling semiliterate

Location: Connecticut, or King Arthur's Court. Hard to tell sometimes.
Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
I watched the results on CNN last evening and you could see, starting about 8PM EST, it all started to go bad for Clinton. She lost by less than 100,000 votes out of about 120 million cast. What a shame as I'm sure she would have been a very good president.
Actually, it appears she won the popular vote.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics
Old 9th November 2016, 04:51 AM   #61
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

I think Trump will use his power as POTUS to prosecute and harm his political enemies and any media that criticizes him. I hope I'm wrong.
Putin is already chumming up to him, and making critics disappear is one of Putin's favorite tactics.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 04:59 AM   #62
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I know a President can pardon a criminal. Can one also have a person arrested and incarcerated?
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 05:05 AM   #63
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Is he going to abuse his powers to put Hillary in jail, like he promised?
Old 9th November 2016, 05:05 AM   #64
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I know a President can pardon a criminal. Can one also have a person arrested and incarcerated?
You mean like sweeping them up without a trial and putting them in prison somewhere in Cuba?

That doesn't sound legal.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 05:07 AM   #65
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
In theory they could order federal law enforcement to do that, but it would be grounds for impeachment. Unless of course he gets some kind of blanket authorization from Congress...
Old 9th November 2016, 05:08 AM   #66
Crazy Chainsaw
Illuminator

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
I wonder how long until he is caught abusing the powers of Presidency.
What the Groper in Chief abuse power?
With the power he has now he can grope the world.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 05:19 AM   #67
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

I guess you've not been to Mexico lately. Stay in Sweden, you are better off.
Originally Posted by davefoc View Post
The coal mines are not coming back. Coal mining jobs will continue to decline.
Don't tell the Chinese that, nor about the coal fired electrical grid. *ssshhhhhhhhh*

Originally Posted by TubbaBlubba View Post
Trump is now staying up all night, frantically googling "what does the president do".
I'd almost believe that, and it made me smile, but I don't think he's got enough humility to do that.

Originally Posted by shuize View Post
I wasn't a huge Trump fan. But I'm enjoying watching all the smug liberals turning into pouty crybabies.
I am not a Trump fan, and I am disgusted by the whinging ... however predictable it might be.
Originally Posted by Crazy Chainsaw View Post
What the Groper in Chief abuse power?
With the power he has now he can grope the world.
He'll give you a cigarette afterwards.

As to the result of this election: color me surprised. I thought that Trump being politically tone deaf was going to be fatal to his efforts. How did Hillary lose this? Brainster seems to have a point.
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis

Last edited by Darth Rotor; 9th November 2016 at 05:20 AM.
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 05:31 AM   #68
Mumbles
Illuminator

*shrug*

It's always a fight, because the other side always wants to fight.

Wanna see more wars? Wanna see more cops shot dead? Wanna see things get bad for workers?

Let's be clear - white Americans, collectively - that's what you have voted for. Sure, not each and every one of y'all, and for those that voted for Clinton, We've got you. But for those that voted for Trump, you'll get exactly what you voted for, so don't whine.

ETA: Actually, y'all who vote for Johnson or Stein - we've got you, too.

Last edited by Mumbles; 9th November 2016 at 05:34 AM.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 05:35 AM   #69
Argumemnon
World Maker

Some people just want to see the world burn.
Old 9th November 2016, 05:35 AM   #70
Crazy Chainsaw
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Darth Rotor View Post
I guess you've not been to Mexico lately. Stay in Sweden, you are better off.
Don't tell the Chinese that, nor about the coal fired electral grid. *ssshhhhhhhhh*

I'd almost believe that, and it made me smile, but I don't think he's got enough humility to do that.

I am not a Trump fan, and I am disgusted by the whinging ... however predictable it might be.
He'll give you a cigarette afterwards.

As to the result of this election: color me surprised. I thought that Trump being politically tone deaf was going to be fatal to his efforts. How did Hillary lose this? Brainster seems to have a point.
Because voters rejected the Clinton dynasty, it was more a vote Against Obama/ Clinton, than a vote for Trump, if the Dems, had had a real primary instead of just appointing Clinton, to have the first woman President, then Trump wouldn't have stood a chance.
Bill Clinton turned many states like Kentucky Red.
Kentucky could be brought back blue, but it would require, a real candidate, not an appointed dynasty.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 05:37 AM   #71
Argumemnon
World Maker

I think Trump will use his power as POTUS to prosecute and harm his political enemies and any media that criticizes him. I hope I'm wrong.
Well, he said he would.
Old 9th November 2016, 05:38 AM   #72
shuize
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Crazy Chainsaw View Post
Because voters rejected the Clinton dynasty, it was more a vote Against Obama/ Clinton, than a vote for Trump, if the Dems, had had a real primary instead of just appointing Clinton, to have the first woman President, then Trump wouldn't have stood a chance.
Bill Clinton turned many states like Kentucky Red.
Kentucky could be brought back blue, but it would require, a real candidate, not an appointed dynasty.

But it was her turn!
shuize is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 05:40 AM   #73
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

Originally Posted by Darth Rotor View Post
I'm not sure Hillary's perceived weaknesses are to blame. I suspect it's a combination of Trump being rubber-stamped by the GOP leadership and him tapping into the "white man's rage", bringing out an otherwise reluctant demographic.

Still, Hillary's impopularity with millenials seems to have been a factor too. (Also, her lack of maleness).
Old 9th November 2016, 05:45 AM   #74
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
*shrug*

It's always a fight, because the other side always wants to fight.

Wanna see more wars? Wanna see more cops shot dead? Wanna see things get bad for workers?

Let's be clear - white Americans, collectively - that's what you have voted for. Sure, not each and every one of y'all, and for those that voted for Clinton, We've got you. But for those that voted for Trump, you'll get exactly what you voted for, so don't whine.

ETA: Actually, y'all who vote for Johnson or Stein - we've got you, too.
Cheddar goes well with this
Old 9th November 2016, 06:03 AM   #75
Mumbles
Illuminator

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Cheddar goes well with this
You're a perfect example of the white nationalist nonsense that we'll be seeing for the next few years.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 06:10 AM   #76
Crazy Chainsaw
Illuminator

But it was her turn!
Trump will give her a conciliatory groping to show she is still loved.
Old 9th November 2016, 06:12 AM   #77
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
It looks like she might well have won the popular vote.
Old 9th November 2016, 06:15 AM   #78
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
It looks like she might well have won the popular vote.
She was the popular girl but no one asked her to the prom.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 06:25 AM   #79
BillC
Bazooka Joe

I wonder how long until he is caught abusing the powers of Presidency.
This is more my thought as well. He has an established history of bearing grudges and acting vindictively. I don't think he has the self-restraint to refrain from misusing the mechanisms of state to his personal advantage. Over here in Scotland, he pressurised the Scottish Government to exercise eminent domain and seize land for his golf course, but was denied. God knows how he would have applied the screws if he was in charge of the place.
Old 9th November 2016, 06:29 AM   #80
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

Okay joke's over. The attempts to rehabilitate Richard Nixon have gone a bit too far this time. Was a pardon not enough?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics