ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2016 election results , 2016 elections , donald trump , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 9th November 2016, 06:32 AM   #81
BillC
Bazooka Joe

So, who will be playing the part of David Frost, interviewing Trump's Richard Nixon five years post-impeachment?
Old 9th November 2016, 06:34 AM   #82
logger
Philosopher

What's amazing is how wrong the left was and its really bad for you. Not only did most of you here have crow for breakfast. You didn't gain the Senate like you were supposed to.

The decision by McConnell not to appoint Obama's SCOTUS pick looks to be a great decision.

You have a crap load of Senate seats to defend the next time around.

The republican party controls both houses.

Cue the pouty liberal meme how Americans are all stupid.

Its amazing how this place claims to be so brilliant and yet you were so incredibly wrong!
Suck it up libs, you lost and you lost big time.
logger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 06:35 AM   #83
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, logger, we lost.

But so did the world.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 06:36 AM   #84
sopclod
Student

Originally Posted by Crazy Chainsaw View Post
Because voters rejected the Clinton dynasty, it was more a vote Against Obama/ Clinton, than a vote for Trump, if the Dems, had had a real primary instead of just appointing Clinton, to have the first woman President, then Trump wouldn't have stood a chance.
Bill Clinton turned many states like Kentucky Red.
Kentucky could be brought back blue, but it would require, a real candidate, not an appointed dynasty.
I keep hearing this... do people think the democratic primary was rigged? Was there someone who should have been there but wasn't?
sopclod is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 06:49 AM   #85
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

What? No one's blamed Gary Johnson yet?
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 06:49 AM   #86
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Please allow me to extend congratulations to President Trump

I sure was wrong about the election. I was sure that Clinton would win and that Trump would be tossed. However, the fact of the matter is that Trump did win and that Clinton got tossed.

Ugh!

I have never been so very wrong about a political issue before., but Trump did win it.
Old 9th November 2016, 06:52 AM   #87
Jrrarglblarg

Crossbow hit the mark.

I'm throwing up in my mouth a little thinking about it.

Seriously, WTF America?
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 06:54 AM   #88
Crazy Chainsaw
Illuminator

Originally Posted by sopclod View Post
I keep hearing this... do people think the democratic primary was rigged? Was there someone who should have been there but wasn't?
There were several good candidates that could have perticipated they didn't because they saw Clinton as the appointed candidate the first woman pres.
If they had a candidate that really represented hope, they would have won, Clinton had too much history against her she looked like a mere figure head appointed to the post.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 06:58 AM   #89
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

I feel like sharing with you an informative infographic the adorable Conrad Hackett tweeted a couple of days ago. It shows that it was easy to believe the make-believe if one hadn't realized that there is a swamp to drain. Yuuge task.

Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 06:59 AM   #90
Crazy Chainsaw
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Please allow me to extend congratulations to President Trump

I sure was wrong about the election. I was sure that Clinton would win and that Trump would be tossed. However, the fact of the matter is that Trump did win and that Clinton got tossed.

Ugh!

I have never been so very wrong about a political issue before., but Trump did win it.
He won, Humanity and sanity lost, maybe the fact the popular vote was not his, will restrain him from being foolish after all it worked so well with GWB.

Is everyone ready for the replay of stupid?
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 07:01 AM   #91
Tero
Muse

Hound dogs in the White House. You gotta have a cover up crew!

Blue dress . You gotta clean up. Buy new dress or pants and shirt and send secret service to dry clean it IMMEDIATELY.

Trump has similar problems. How will they get the cocaine in the White House for his two year term?
Tero is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 07:16 AM   #92
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I know a President can pardon a criminal. Can one also have a person arrested and incarcerated?

"When the president does it, that means that it is not illegal."
Old 9th November 2016, 07:25 AM   #93
varwoche
Philosopher

It's super awesome that Trump was so presidential, the way he reached out to unify the nation.

Originally Posted by Omarosa
I would never judge anybody for exercising their right to and the freedom to choose who they want. But let me just tell you, Mr. Trump has a long memory and we’re keeping a list.
link
Old 9th November 2016, 07:34 AM   #94
shuize
Master Poster

Echoing something I read on Facebook: How is the left feeling about Obama's liberal use of executive orders now?
shuize is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 07:36 AM   #95
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shuize View Post
Echoing something I read on Facebook: How is the left feeling about Obama's liberal use of executive orders now?
What liberal use of executive orders? He issued few compared to many other presidents, especially the last few Republican ones.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 07:52 AM   #96
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

It just goes to show how stupid people are. People voted for Hitler, now Americans voted for their own demise.

How people could ignore that the man never told the truth and treats others like **** and then actually vote for the scumbag is beyond me.

Life in America will never be the same. Well I guess 227 years for a democracy is a pretty good run. It's been fun.
Old 9th November 2016, 08:07 AM   #97
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BillC View Post
This is more my thought as well. He has an established history of bearing grudges and acting vindictively. I don't think he has the self-restraint to refrain from misusing the mechanisms of state to his personal advantage. Over here in Scotland, he pressurised the Scottish Government to exercise eminent domain and seize land for his golf course, but was denied. God knows how he would have applied the screws if he was in charge of the place.
And when that didn't work, he started this.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 08:09 AM   #98
Jrrarglblarg

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
It just goes to show how stupid people are. People voted for Hitler, now Americans voted for their own demise.

How people could ignore that the man never told the truth and treats others like **** and then actually vote for the scumbag is beyond me.

Life in America will never be the same. Well I guess 227 years for a democracy is a pretty good run. It's been fun.
We survived disco, Carter and stagflation all at the same time, we can get through this.

Liberals: now it's our turn to empty the gun stores!
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 08:19 AM   #99
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Jrrarglblarg View Post
We survived disco, Carter and stagflation all at the same time, we can get through this.

Disco was a tough bullet to dodge though, we came that close to loosing it all on that one.
Old 9th November 2016, 08:21 AM   #100
Beelzebuddy
Illuminator

Try to look on the bright side: every good empire needs a Caligula.
Beelzebuddy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 08:33 AM   #101
Random
Master Poster

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Is he going to abuse his powers to put Hillary in jail, like he promised?
Nah. He will become all gracious and crap and let her off with a "we must look forward, not backwards/reflection/not recrimination" speech and let her sail off into the sunset provided she doesn't try anything political ever again. It's been a tradition since Nixon to let the our political leaders get off the hook for anything bad they may have done after a change in government. That's how Reagan and Bush II managed to ooze their way out of office without war crimes charges...

Last edited by Random; 9th November 2016 at 08:34 AM.
Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 08:40 AM   #102
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Clutching desperately for anything positive to say on this awful, awful news......but Trump's acceptance speech was more magnanimous and gracious than I had expected.
Yes. I would say it was extremely gracious. And although it is a low bar to sound good in an acceptance speech I was quite surprised that there were no acrimonious words for anyone, and just all very congenial. Should we give him a chance?

I think we may as well.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 08:47 AM   #103
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jrrarglblarg View Post

Carter was never a threat to the democracy. He made a few mistakes as every President does but he believed in democracy. This is a President who doesn't understand the separation of powers, thinks torture is a good thing and who admires dictators.

My thesis written almost 40 years ago was about how Hitler became the German leader and how another Hitler could arise in any democracy even the US. How Hitler didn't sieze power but how the electorate abdicated it's power.

All governments are derived from the will of the people even dictatorships. In the latter, it is the lack of will. That is what happened here. People were weak willed and lazy.

America is getting what is coming to it. We have no one to blame but ourselves. Time to apply the KY, because we're about to get screwed like we've never been screwed before. We're going to feel like a teenage boy in a Penn State locker room.

I never ever wished that I am wrong as much as I do today.
Old 9th November 2016, 08:58 AM   #104
Argumemnon
World Maker

Carter was never a threat to the democracy. He made a few mistakes as every President does but he believed in democracy. This is a President who doesn't understand the separation of powers, thinks torture is a good thing and who admires dictators.

My thesis written almost 40 years ago was about how Hitler became the German leader and how another Hitler could arise in any democracy even the US. How Hitler didn't sieze power but how the electorate abdicated it's power.

All governments are derived from the will of the people even dictatorships. In the latter, it is the lack of will. That is what happened here. People were weak willed and lazy.

America is getting what is coming to it. We have no one to blame but ourselves. Time to apply the KY, because we're about to get screwed like we've never been screwed before. We're going to feel like a teenage boy in a Penn State locker room.

Old 9th November 2016, 08:59 AM   #105
Crazy Chainsaw
Illuminator

No you have got to be kidding me, Trump can't just wave his hand and make all our problems go away, like he says he can.
How do you expect me to believe that?

Kentucky is my state, he promised to bring back Coal, only to do it he will have to risk destroying, Bourbon, timber, tourism, and agriculture.
He will also have to produce coal at a net loss.
Old 9th November 2016, 08:59 AM   #106
Stacko
Philosopher

He has an unprecedented entanglement between official duties and his businesses. It will not be good when these duties end up in conflict because the Orange Menace has long track record of looking out for number one at the expense of all others. Imagine the US entering a trade war with China because he decided he deserves better terms on a loan because he's President.

Quote:
Ethics officials urged Trump during his campaign to pledge he would sell his businesses or cede them to an independent authority. Many modern presidents — including Ronald Reagan, Bill Clinton and both Bushes — went beyond what was required and placed their assets in “blind trusts,” run by independent trustees who keep complete control.

But Trump has refused to make such a pledge, saying only that he would give companies to his children and executives to run. Attorneys said that would put little distance between a President Trump and the businesses he spent a lifetime grooming and profiting from.

“It’s silly to suggest there’s any avoidance of conflict by having your family run the interests. He talks to his family all the time,” said Trevor Potter, a former Federal Election Commission chairman and general counsel for George H.W. Bush and Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), in September.
It’s “unthinkable in recent history,” Potter added, that “there’s the possibility of a president being able to affect his own personal financial interests, conceivably to the detriment of the general public.”

Members of Congress must recuse themselves from government dealings touching on their own financial interests, according to strict regulations in the Ethics in Government Act of 1978, enacted after Watergate. Presidents, however, were made exempt from those rules on the belief they could further complicate the wide-ranging job.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 08:59 AM   #107
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I think I know how many other countries feel right now. It's the same way I feel when I find Texas (a different state from my own) has passed some law or elected some yahoo that is so reprehensible it's impossible to fathom.

I'm reminded of the moment in JAWS, where Brody is chucking the chum over the side and says something the audience laughs at, then the shark lunges at him. It's a scene Spielberg is particularly proud of, turning a laugh into a scream.

I'm wondering when that moment will be for us.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 09:03 AM   #108
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Clutching desperately for anything positive to say on this awful, awful news......but Trump's acceptance speech was more magnanimous and gracious than I had expected.
That is our best hope...that the Trump we have been seing was just a salesman who would say anything to get elected,and actually becoming Presidnet will sober him up considerably.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 09:07 AM   #109
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
To be positive for a moment, there is some chance Trump will follow Roosevelt and become a fairly decent populist with generally good results. I doubt it, though.
The question is how much of the Trump we have been seeing is somebody who will say anything to get elected,but who will behave differently in office.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 09:08 AM   #110
Marcus
Master Poster

I suspect he will attempt to be a good president, rather than just trying to line his pockets or have a good time power tripping. He doesn't really want to be remembered as a buffoon/screw up. He will be unsuccessful because he really doesn't have a clue how politics works at this level.
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 09:10 AM   #111
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I suspect he will attempt to be a good president, rather than just trying to line his pockets or have a good time power tripping. He doesn't really want to be remembered as a buffoon/screw up. He will be unsuccessful because he really doesn't have a clue how politics works at this level.
Why would he change what's always worked out best for him? It's gotten him this far.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 09:19 AM   #112
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
That is our best hope...that the Trump we have been seing was just a salesman who would say anything to get elected,and actually becoming Presidnet will sober him up considerably.
The last few decades of public appearances don't seem to show anything like that.
Old 9th November 2016, 09:32 AM   #113
stanfr
Graduate Poster

Here's my 'I told you so' post, it's the only joy I get on this sad morning.

I said from the beginning that HRC was a monumental mistake by the Dems. Anit-establishment was at an all time high, and the uneducated flock to celebrity and smooth talkers. This was brought about by the fools on the left who coulndn't read the writing on the wall.
Heres a small sampler of my thoughts leading into this fiasco:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...8#post11154858

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...2#post11350092

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...3#post11476473
stanfr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 09:34 AM   #114
logger
Philosopher

Yes that will be the left narrative going forward. This is why your side lost, you just don't get it. Your side is the political elite, it has been rejected!

NONE OF YOU GET IT BECAUSE THERE IS A LACK OF COMMON SENSE HERE. YOU NEED TO BE LED BY THE NOSE BY OTHERS.

Love it, libs lose so badly.

Last edited by logger; 9th November 2016 at 09:36 AM.
logger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 09:36 AM   #115
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Your side is the political elite
48% of the population is part of the political elite? That makes little sense except to an ideologue such as yourself.

Quote:
NONE OF YOU GET IT BECAUSE THERE IS A LACK OF COMMON SENSE HERE.
You've been here long enough to learn that common sense loses to reason.
Old 9th November 2016, 09:48 AM   #116
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

I've been nauseous for about a week when I came to the realization that Trump was going to win. The hatred of Hillary outweighed anything about Trump and Comey's announcement pushed people over the edge. Trump as he said, could have killed someone on the street and people would not have cared.

A few weeks ago I heard someone say that the problem with Hillary is that she never went away on the national scene. I think that is true. She was First Lady and a very active one in policy. She then immediately ran for the Senate, then tried for the president. Then became Secretary of State and then ran for President. She has always had large negatives. One way to deal with those is to recede from the limelight for a while. But she couldn't, so people could not forget her and all her baggage. If she had not been Secretary of State, she'd be president right now.

When she started running I didn't think she could win the general, I hoped some other Dem would come out of the woodwork a la Obama and take the nomination. That didn't happen. When the GOP went with Trump, I thought there's no way we will elect that buffoon. But I was wrong. The continual build up of animosity towards Clinton overwhelmed any disgust people had for Trump. People simply ignored all the bad about Trump because of all the bad about Clinton.

I'm embarrassed to be an American right now and only partially because we elected Trump. I'm embarrassed that we as a country put ourselves into a position where yesterday's election was between the two worst candidates in the history of the republic. Twice in 16 years we've elected a president who did not receive the most popular votes. That is not a good sign. All great countries rise and fall, I had hoped to not be around for the fall of this one.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 09:52 AM   #117
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Yes that will be the left narrative going forward. This is why your side lost, you just don't get it. Your side is the political elite, it has been rejected!

NONE OF YOU GET IT BECAUSE THERE IS A LACK OF COMMON SENSE HERE. YOU NEED TO BE LED BY THE NOSE BY OTHERS.

Love it, libs lose so badly.
No, I get it. People are suckers. The ultimate insider pretended to be an outsider and you fell for it like a worm on a hook. The used car salesman told you what you wanted to hear. Trump is not the first successful demagogue plying on xenophobic fears. As I said, Hitler was ELECTED.

Who knew that to become President all you just had to insult everyone and everything? That all you had to be was a rich racist sexist misogynistic braggart and the morons would make you President. You just had to grab America by the pussy I guess.

America, no longer the land of the free and the home of the brave. Now we're the land of the suckers and home of the pussies.

Last edited by acbytesla; 9th November 2016 at 09:59 AM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 09:55 AM   #118
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by shuize View Post
Is this the detachment from reality that we're going to have to suffer through for the next 4 to 8 years?
Old 9th November 2016, 09:57 AM   #119
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

You know, going into despair and giving up is just playing into your enemies' hands.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 9th November 2016, 09:58 AM   #120
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Is this the detachment from reality that we're going to have to suffer through for the next 4 to 8 years?
Why should it stop now? It won an election.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics