ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2016 election results , 2016 elections , donald trump , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 9th November 2016, 10:01 AM   #121
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
You know, going into despair and giving up is just playing into your enemies' hands.
I hope the youth of America fights on, but honestly, I'm too old to put up much of a fight. I had hoped to spend my sunset years enjoying life. I didn't expect to watch the dismantling of America.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 10:02 AM   #122
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

You know, going into despair and giving up is just playing into your enemies' hands.
Well if you can tell me what to do, now that there is a mad moron about to be President with a rubber stamp Congress, I'll gladly do it.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. But the tumult soon subsides. Time makes more converts than reason.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 10:04 AM   #123
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Not so sure it is going to be a rubber stamp congress as you might think. A lot of Donald's proposals fly right in the face of GOP policy.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 10:05 AM   #124
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
I hope the youth of America fights on, but honestly, I'm too old to put up much of a fight. I had hoped to spend my sunset years enjoying life. I didn't expect to watch the dismantling of America.
The einsatzgruppen will handle your concerns.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. But the tumult soon subsides. Time makes more converts than reason.”
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 10:07 AM   #125
Argumemnon
World Maker

Not so sure it is going to be a rubber stamp congress as you might think. A lot of Donald's proposals fly right in the face of GOP policy.
GOP policy is to win, it seems. I think that's well-aligned with Trump.
Old 9th November 2016, 10:09 AM   #126
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by davefoc View Post
Right now it looks like Clinton will win the popular vote. How does that fit in with your theory?
As of now, Trump is still in the lead there, but even if Hillary wins the popular vote by a tiny margin, I stand by my theory. Trump was a very poor candidate, and Hillary didn't crush him. If either party had nominated somebody decent, they would have won in a landslide.

And the object of the race is not to win the popular vote anyway. It's to win the electoral college. Hillary spent time on the final weekend in Arizona, when she should have been in Pennsylvania or Florida or Ohio or Wisconsin. It was a boneheaded move, reminiscent of when Bush sent Cheney to Hawaii in 2004, thinking they could turn that state.

Hillary racked up predictably big margins in California and New York, but she lost almost every close state.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 10:10 AM   #127
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
GOP policy is to win, it seems. I think that's well-aligned with Trump.
For now.
Thing is a great many Republicans are as supiscious as hell about Trump.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 10:13 AM   #128
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
As of now, Trump is still in the lead there, but even if Hillary wins the popular vote by a tiny margin, I stand by my theory. Trump was a very poor candidate, and Hillary didn't crush him. If either party had nominated somebody decent, they would have won in a landslide.

And the object of the race is not to win the popular vote anyway. It's to win the electoral college. Hillary spent time on the final weekend in Arizona, when she should have been in Pennsylvania or Florida or Ohio or Wisconsin. It was a boneheaded move, reminiscent of when Bush sent Cheney to Hawaii in 2004, thinking they could turn that state.

Hillary racked up predictably big margins in California and New York, but she lost almost every close state.
We had better hope...particularly if you are a Republican....that Trump is a better president then he is a Candidate. Trump in now the Face of the GOP.They sink and swim by him.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 9th November 2016, 10:15 AM   #129
phiwum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Is this the detachment from reality that we're going to have to suffer through for the next 4 to 8 years?
I was shocked to see that Obama issued fewer executive orders than any president since Cleveland. I thought that he exercised that power a bit too much.

Of course, it may be that his orders were more sweeping, which would explain that impression. I can't tell whether that's accurate or not.

Source: http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/data/orders.php
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 10:15 AM   #130
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

It is fascinating that a lot of Republican leaders this morning are sayhing things that seem to go against what Trump has said...in foreign policy in particular. Lots of reassurances that the US will honor it's treaty comittments.
I am sure that Trump wishes he has never made those NATO comments.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 9th November 2016, 10:17 AM   #131
Argumemnon
World Maker

I don't know. Those comments play well into Putin's hands.
Old 9th November 2016, 10:19 AM   #132
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
No, I get it. People are suckers. The ultimate insider pretended to be an outsider and you fell for it like a worm on a hook. The used car salesman told you what you wanted to hear. Trump is not the first successful demagogue plying on xenophobic fears. As I said, Hitler was ELECTED.

Who knew that to become President all you just had to insult everyone and everything? That all you had to be was a rich racist sexist misogynistic braggart and the morons would make you President. You just had to grab America by the pussy I guess.

America, no longer the land of the free and the home of the brave. Now we're the land of the suckers and home of the pussies.
Trump and the people who voted for him have proven you wrong so many times. You've mis-judged him and the voters during this whole process. There are specific reasons why Obama's legacy will trimmed significantly. You're about to see what happens when government works.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 10:20 AM   #133
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I'm guessing my net worth has dropped by at least 5% in the past 24 hours. Crappe.
Old 9th November 2016, 10:20 AM   #134
Spindrift

If anything, hasn't this campaign taught you that just because there is video or audio of Trump saying something, that isn't really proof that he said it.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 10:21 AM   #135
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I don't know. Those comments play well into Putin's hands.
And Donald got more hell over them from his fellow Republicans over the NATO comments then anything he said in the campaign. Pence disagree with him over that.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 9th November 2016, 10:22 AM   #136
The Great Zaganza
Graduate Poster

sooo...

when will Trump get his Twitter account back?

And when will he tweet pictures of his lasted National Security Briefing?
Old 9th November 2016, 10:24 AM   #137
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I was shocked to see that Obama issued fewer executive orders than any president since Cleveland. I thought that he exercised that power a bit too much.

Of course, it may be that his orders were more sweeping, which would explain that impression. I can't tell whether that's accurate or not.

I had a co-worker tell me this morning that Obama's invention of the executive order was what made people mad and gave the election to Trump. I could only look on in shock, because if you believe that Obama invented the executive order at this point, nothing I can say will convince you otherwise. (general you, not directed at you)
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 10:26 AM   #138
Jrrarglblarg

The meshback low information ideology-on-a-sticker voters came out. All over.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 10:26 AM   #139
logger
Philosopher

We had better hope...particularly if you are a Republican....that Trump is a better president then he is a Candidate. Trump in now the Face of the GOP.They sink and swim by him.
An interesting post. We had Reagan dems voting for Trump and Bush republicans voting for hills. Point being, he couldn't have been more perfect to win this, you think he was a terrible candidate, which I'm inclined to agree, but look what happened. Could Cruz, Bush, or any of the others have gotten this done?

This is a realignment and as usual the left here doesn't seem to get it. Trump accomplished the impossible, he kept claiming he was going to do it, none of us believed it. This is going to go down as one of the most brilliant political victories ever!
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 10:27 AM   #140
Stacko
Philosopher

It's a simple strategy the right has used since they created their own alternative media: Repeat a lie people want to hear often enough and they will believe it. He campaigned from his own reality unencumbered by dealing with reality and his supporters bought in. Stock up on imports because the only policy position he hasn't taken all positions on the last five years is trade and tariffs are coming with his congressional mandate unless the GOP has a spine.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 10:28 AM   #141
phiwum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
I had a co-worker tell me this morning that Obama's invention of the executive order was what made people mad and gave the election to Trump. I could only look on in shock, because if you believe that Obama invented the executive order at this point, nothing I can say will convince you otherwise. (general you, not directed at you)
Wow. Golly.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 10:30 AM   #142
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Jrrarglblarg View Post
The meshback low information ideology-on-a-sticker voters came out. All over.
Each time a poster calls voters stupid I'm going to respond with, "the new narrative"

And by the way, this is why you guys lost, these rust belt dems feel slighted by these kinds of comments and leftists policies, so please, continue to insult them.

Last edited by logger; 9th November 2016 at 10:31 AM.
Old 9th November 2016, 10:30 AM   #143
phiwum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
It's a simple strategy the right has used since they created their own alternative media: Repeat a lie people want to hear often enough and they will believe it. He campaigned from his own reality unencumbered by dealing with reality and his supporters bought in. Stock up on imports because the only policy position he hasn't taken all positions on the last five years is trade and tariffs are coming with his congressional mandate unless the GOP has a spine.
I listen exclusively to NPR and PBS. I think I drew the conclusion that Obama overused executive orders just because many of them were a run-around an obstructionist Congress. That's not the only use of such orders, not by a long shot, so I think I noticed Obama's orders more than I noticed W's.

Of course, W was notable for signing statements.
Old 9th November 2016, 10:31 AM   #144
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

lol.

This is just wonderful, watching malicious establishment sycophants squirm.

It's quite a relief for us, keeping this crime syndicate from completely taking over the government. Anyone would have been better. So we're happy even though we did not vote for Trump.

We don't have to virtue-signal about how the world is going to crash all around us now that Trump is in there. Just thank God it isn't Clinton.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 10:31 AM   #145
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Each time a poster calls voters stupid I'm going to respond with, "the new narrative"
Most people are not informed or educated on most topics even though they have access to the information and plenty of time to do it. How would you call people like that?
Old 9th November 2016, 10:31 AM   #146
Spindrift

It's not new, voters have always been stupid. The Founding Fathers knew that, why do you think we have the electoral college?
Old 9th November 2016, 10:31 AM   #147
phiwum
Philosopher

You may do so again, then, because I can't fathom how an intelligent, informed person could fall for a huckster like Trump, a man with no consistent principles deeper than building a pointless wall.
Old 9th November 2016, 10:36 AM   #148
logger
Philosopher

You may do so again, then, because I can't fathom how an intelligent, informed person could fall for a huckster like Trump, a man with no consistent principles deeper than building a pointless wall.
That is totally obvious. I'll explain it to you. These are regular folks who have been hurting for many years, they're at their end. Trump said he was going to help them, Clinton said she was going to put them out of business and destroy their jobs.

And by the way, as if Clinton isn't a lying slug?

Wait till she gets convicted, remember the investigation into the Clinton crime family is going to continue. The left elite attitude has truly hurt your brand, and you just don't get it.
Old 9th November 2016, 10:39 AM   #149
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Trump and the people who voted for him have proven you wrong so many times. You've mis-judged him and the voters during this whole process. There are specific reasons why Obama's legacy will trimmed significantly. You're about to see what happens when government works.
No they didn't. I never doubted that he could be elected. I KNOW that people are suckers. I know how stupid and lazy people are. That they don't do their homework.

I could ask the voters why they voted for him and a good 70 percent couldn't give you a coherent answer. That's not only true about the people who voted for Trump, it's true about almost every election. Few people vote on policy proposals. And Trump HAS no political convictions. People are just tired of the rigged system. But if you think Trump of all people is going to change that system, won't you be surprised.

My biggest problem with the morons that voted for Trump is why in the hell would you would ever believe ANYONE who lies as much as this guy?
Old 9th November 2016, 10:40 AM   #150
Argumemnon
World Maker

That is totally obvious. I'll explain it to you. These are regular folks who have been hurting for many years, they're at their end. Trump said he was going to help them
Yeah, and they fell for it because they're uninformed and uneducated. Hence why they're being called idiots. Trump isn't the solution to their perceived problems.

Quote:
And by the way, as if Clinton isn't a lying slug?
Trump lies 71% of the time. I can't find anyone in history who lies anywhere near that much. It's a no-contest.
Old 9th November 2016, 10:40 AM   #151
Distracted1
Graduate Poster

Since our new commander-in-chief has demonstrated a fondness for adding little monikers to the front of his opponents names (crooked Hillary, little Marco, lyin' Ted) I will henceforth express the respect I have for him by referring to him as "Dirty Donald" in all future references. His supporters, of course, not to be left out, are henceforth " Trumpsters"

I invite any who share the respect I do for Dirty Donald to follow suit.
Old 9th November 2016, 10:42 AM   #152
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

An interesting post. We had Reagan dems voting for Trump and Bush republicans voting for hills. Point being, he couldn't have been more perfect to win this, you think he was a terrible candidate, which I'm inclined to agree, but look what happened. Could Cruz, Bush, or any of the others have gotten this done?

This is a realignment and as usual the left here doesn't seem to get it. Trump accomplished the impossible, he kept claiming he was going to do it, none of us believed it. This is going to go down as one of the most brilliant political victories ever!
Right up there with Hitler in 32.
Old 9th November 2016, 10:45 AM   #153
logger
Philosopher

Yeah, and they fell for it because they're uninformed and uneducated. Hence why they're being called idiots. Trump isn't the solution to their perceived problems.
Lol
You don't get it, there are any things government can do to bring those jobs back.
Old 9th November 2016, 10:46 AM   #154
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Right up there with Hitler in 32.
The new narrative!

Please don't ever change.
Old 9th November 2016, 10:46 AM   #155
Marcus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Why would he change what's always worked out best for him? It's gotten him this far.
He's found a different game to play. His success at this game is not measured by how much money he makes.
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2016, 10:48 AM   #156
logger
Philosopher

Most people are not informed or educated on most topics even though they have access to the information and plenty of time to do it. How would you call people like that?
Busy normal people, you just don't get it.
Old 9th November 2016, 10:52 AM   #157
Argumemnon
World Maker

You don't get it, there are any things government can do to bring those jobs back.
No, you don't get it: Trump's government won't do these things.

Quote:
Busy normal people, you just don't get it.
I get it. Not my fault if they can't be bothered to educate themselves.
Old 9th November 2016, 10:56 AM   #158
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

The new narrative!

Please don't ever change.
I won't. I'm sure some day his brownshirts will come for me and I'll have logger to thank for it. They always kill the educated first.
Old 9th November 2016, 10:56 AM   #159
Spindrift

Lol
Bring back? Lost jobs are never brought back. New jobs need to be created.

And Donald is not the one to do it, unless it benefits Donald. Remember the guy who when he needs workers (or wives), he imports them illegally.
Old 9th November 2016, 10:56 AM   #160
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Trump's acceptance speech was more magnanimous and gracious than I had expected.
Inorite? Those were exactly the same adjectives I used.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics