ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2016 election results , 2016 elections , donald trump , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 11th January 2017, 08:14 AM   #2921
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Is this a "tell"? Why would he think it's a "last shot" unless... he plans to announce something at the press conference? (one hour from now)
I think he just meant a "last shot" before he takes office on the 20th.

"I doubt that!" - James Randi
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 08:14 AM   #2922
Argumemnon
World Maker

What a sorry excuse for a human being.
Old 11th January 2017, 08:15 AM   #2923
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Hopefully there'll be a hell of a lot more 'shots' before then.
Old 11th January 2017, 08:20 AM   #2924
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
I can't believe he'd step down without good reason. I imagine that it would damage his image and that of the GOP.
The image of the GOP or anyone else is of no concern to Donald Trump. Donald is concerned with Donald. Everything he does is filtered through that concern.
Spindrift is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 08:21 AM   #2925
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

He thinks it's going to be different after he takes office?
Spindrift is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 08:21 AM   #2926
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Hopefully there'll be a hell of a lot more 'shots' before then.
Something below the waterline would be appreciated.
Old 11th January 2017, 09:12 AM   #2927
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
He thinks it's going to be different after he takes office?

Once he's the boss, nobody will dare criticize him, obviously. He'll be in charge. Everyone will have to respect him.
That, or it ties into his earlier plans to relax libel laws to make it easier to sue people who say bad things about him. Civilians get sued and government employees get fired. He can do that, right? He did it all the time on TV. The President must be able to fire anyone he wants.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 09:15 AM   #2928
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Hey! He showed up!
Old 11th January 2017, 09:23 AM   #2929
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Once he's the boss, nobody will dare criticize him, obviously. He'll be in charge. Everyone will have to respect him.
That, or it ties into his earlier plans to relax libel laws to make it easier to sue people who say bad things about him. Civilians get sued and government employees get fired. He can do that, right? He did it all the time on TV. The President must be able to fire anyone he wants.
What is this? Nazi Germany?

(And in case anyone doesn't know the reference, it's a reference to Donald's Godwin from today's news.)
Old 11th January 2017, 09:33 AM   #2930
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Ruh-ro, he's talking about himself in the third person now.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 12:08 PM   #2931
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I am admittedly against Donald Trump. That said, I do see him doing some things that should have been done decades ago.

There is this political theory that only Nixon (or a similar Republican) could go to China. Not that a Democrat wouldn't want to normalize relations, but any attemps by a Democrat would have been painted as a Communist sympathizer. Similarly, it is difficult politically for a Republican to try and reform welfare as they would be painted as unfeeling.

I saw news today that Trump is seeking to reform the purchasing process of prescription drugs by the government. This has been something Democrats have been trying to do for decades, but who's efforts have been thwarted by Big Pharma and their lobbying influence with mostly but not entirely by the Republican establishment. Is Trump serious? And will the Republican Congress still say "no"?
Old 11th January 2017, 12:37 PM   #2932
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I am admittedly against Donald Trump. That said, I do see him doing some things that should have been done decades ago.

There is this political theory that only Nixon (or a similar Republican) could go to China.
I've voiced a similar thought.

I think its a long shot, but just imagine if after 4 years...

...we have a much better health insurance system with a public option...

...have entered into a relationship with Russia based on mutual respect and work with them towards a safer world by cooperating in the war on terror...

...have a marked increase in US manufacturing...

...have negotiated better trade deals with China and other countries.

Like I said, long shot and I don't see it happening.

But one can hope.

Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 12:39 PM   #2933
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

There is this political theory that only Nixon (or a similar Republican) could go to China. Not that a Democrat wouldn't want to normalize relations, but any attemps by a Democrat would have been painted as a Communist sympathizer. Similarly, it is difficult politically for a Republican to try and reform welfare as they would be painted as unfeeling.

I saw news today that Trump is seeking to reform the purchasing process of prescription drugs by the government. This has been something Democrats have been trying to do for decades, but who's efforts have been thwarted by Big Pharma and their lobbying influence with mostly but not entirely by the Republican establishment. Is Trump serious? And will the Republican Congress still say "no"?
Sure, being clueless could be a great asset.
But until he actually does anything, I don't think he will have the attention to detail to change laws and regulations in a way the Republicans don't want him to.
Old 11th January 2017, 01:20 PM   #2934
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper

You may yet get that opportunity at a later date.

Carl Sagan
Ron_Tomkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 01:50 PM   #2935
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I've voiced a similar thought.

I think its a long shot, but just imagine if after 4 years...

...we have a much better health insurance system with a public option...

...have entered into a relationship with Russia based on mutual respect and work with them towards a safer world by cooperating in the war on terror...

...have a marked increase in US manufacturing...

...have negotiated better trade deals with China and other countries.

Like I said, long shot and I don't see it happening.

But one can hope.
I have no hope. I personally believe that outside of how Trump manipulates the media, he is an ignorant self centered fool. But he is very good at manipulating the media for his own positions.

So far, I see Trump surrounding himself with greedy ultra conservative a-holes that on any other day could give a damn about anyone beyond the privileged. They have no desire to save the government money at the expense of their millionaire friends sucking on the government tit.

But Trump DOES care what people say about him. So just maybe, he will be able to do the right thing.

Last edited by acbytesla; 11th January 2017 at 01:51 PM.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 01:56 PM   #2936
Stacko
Philosopher

But Trump DOES care what people say about him. So just maybe, he will be able to do the right thing.
But he cares more about lining his own pockets than what people say about him. If those are in conflict, kleptocracy wins out.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 01:58 PM   #2937
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
Ruh-ro, he's talking about himself in the third person now.
Now?
Old 11th January 2017, 04:08 PM   #2938
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
But he cares more about lining his own pockets than what people say about him. If those are in conflict, kleptocracy wins out.
I'm not convinced of that argument. It's not like Trump doesn't have anything and everything he could ever want. Isn't it at some point, just numbers? The man is past 70 and there comes a point where legacy may be much more important than another digit in the bank account. Or am I wrong?
Old 11th January 2017, 04:17 PM   #2939
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
At a Senate hearing yesterday where the four heads of national security appeared to brief the Senate on the Russian hacking, FBI Director James Comey was asked about possible ties between Trump and the Russians. Comey replied that he would not comment on pending investigations.

One of the Senators then said something like, "The irony of your telling the committee that is really astonishing." Comey immediately interjected, "A completed investigation, Senator..."
Right, like the letter disclosing more emails were found was a completed case.

Lying hypocrite.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 04:19 PM   #2940
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
Blackmail Trump with what? We already know or suspect he has been involved in all sorts of idiocy, lunacy and scandals.
I don't think direct connections to the Russian hacking or Trump watching women pee on each other will go over too well, especially if he's commenting at the same time that the Obamas slept in the bed. He barely slid on the pussy grabbing talk.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 11th January 2017 at 04:20 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 04:23 PM   #2941
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

... My prediction that Trump will not be President on Jan. 20, 2018 still stands, and I'm still ready to bet even money on it.
I would only take that bet if I took it on your side, Trump is well on his way to impeachment.
Old 11th January 2017, 04:27 PM   #2942
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Tillerson's position on climate change in his hearing today: admits it is occurring and that oil is a cause, then leaves himself a big fat out, saying in so many words, what we don't know is, will stopping burning oil matter?
Old 11th January 2017, 04:31 PM   #2943
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

More than likely you've been punked.
Old 11th January 2017, 04:56 PM   #2944
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

so how is that "war on white" going on ? (that's the excuse for Sessions behavior apparently).

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/11/politi...tes/index.html

"Rep. Brooks: Dems' 'war on whites' behind some criticism of Sessions"

"Thou shall have no shame" is apparently the new reps 11th commandment.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 05:00 PM   #2945
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
so how is that "war on white" going on ? (that's the excuse for Sessions behavior apparently).

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/11/politi...tes/index.html

"Rep. Brooks: Dems' 'war on whites' behind some criticism of Sessions"

"Thou shall have no shame" is apparently the new reps 11th commandment.
Wow! Sad.
Old 11th January 2017, 06:24 PM   #2946
Civet
Muse

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
Blackmail Trump with what? We already know or suspect he has been involved in all sorts of idiocy, lunacy and scandals.
As long as it doesn't involve underage participants, homosexuality or unambiguous rape, I think Trump can survive almost any sex scandal. Proof of deliberate and direct collusion with the Russian government to advance his political goals might be harder to handle. That said, the man is a political cockroach with a legendary ability to endure scandals so I think he should tell any potential blackmailer to do his worst.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 06:25 PM   #2947
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
More than likely you've been punked.
I find it hard to believe as well. Like the knocked up Jewish girl who claimed she was a virgin.
Old 11th January 2017, 06:30 PM   #2948
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

I find it hard to believe as well. Like the knocked up Jewish girl who claimed she was a virgin.
Maybe I misread your post?

You said Trump would get some things accomplished that should have been done decades ago:
Quote:
I do see him doing some things that should have been done decades ago.
My point is that you can't believe a word he says, so thinking he's going to get x,y,z done is a fool's errand.
Old 11th January 2017, 06:41 PM   #2949
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

He barely slid on the pussy grabbing talk.
That was not my impression.

It was more like a flash in the pan that had little or no effect on the eventual outcome.

Surprisingly.

Old 11th January 2017, 06:51 PM   #2950
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe I misread your post?

You said Trump would get some things accomplished that should have been done decades ago:

My point is that you can't believe a word he says, so thinking he's going to get x,y,z done is a fool's errand.
No, I get your point. I was agreeing with you.
Old 11th January 2017, 09:20 PM   #2951
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

What a sorry excuse for a human being.
Would be only if there was some excuse for him. There isn't - nor is there for those who come at his beck and call. Note you may define come as you see fit as to how it is used in that previous sentence.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 09:22 PM   #2952
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

I'm not convinced of that argument. It's not like Trump doesn't have anything and everything he could ever want. Isn't it at some point, just numbers? The man is past 70 and there comes a point where legacy may be much more important than another digit in the bank account. Or am I wrong?
Likely - I truly believe he does not think beyond his next meal or next grope.

Wash this space!

Last edited by fuelair; 11th January 2017 at 10:43 PM. Reason: add "believe he"
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 09:27 PM   #2953
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster

I would only take that bet if I took it on your side, Trump is well on his way to impeachment.
I wonder, what is it that Trump has done so far that has put him "well on his way to impeachment" ?
Chris B.
One could choose to be civil though and still disagree. For example, since I know Bigfoot does exist, I don't call others "idiot" just because they're uneducated on the subject and share a different view based on that lack of experience. Chris B.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 09:34 PM   #2954
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

What, exactly does Russia have to offer that makes making nice with them a priority?
Russia has no incentive to stop playing their own games and being a pain in the butt. All it can offer is less grief if we play by its rules and more grief if we misbehave.
That is not the basis of 'a relationship of mutual respect'.
Russia is more brutal but less effective at fighting terrorism that the US is. It's economy is tiny. If it didn't have nukes, no one would care about it.
Old 11th January 2017, 09:35 PM   #2955
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Trump owes Russians lots of money, that's why we need to be nice to them. DUH
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 10:09 PM   #2956
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Trump owes Russians lots of money, that's why we need to be nice to them. DUH
only good reason I can think of.
Old 11th January 2017, 10:17 PM   #2957
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
I wonder, what is it that Trump has done so far that has put him "well on his way to impeachment" ?
Chris B.
He got elected. That's the first step.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 10:34 PM   #2958
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Chris B.
You actually have to pay attention here if you want to keep up.

If there are connections within his team to Putin ...
He thinks his lawyers can get him out of any corruption charge. They can't and he's ignoring one big law on the matter, the Emoluments Clause
Quote:
No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or foreign State.
Trump Just Laid The Groundwork For Corruption By Declaring Himself Above The Law
Quote:
During his interview with The New York Times, President-elect Donald Trump inaccurately declared that he would have no conflicts of interest because"The President can't have a conflict of interest."
Trump: ‘The president can't have a conflict of interest’
Quote:
Donald Trump said on Tuesday that he faces no legal obligation to cut ties with his businesses, even as he described how winning the presidency has made his brand “hotter” and acknowledged advancing his business interests during a conversation with a British politician.
Trump is planning to give profits to the US treasury from his hotels if "any King, Prince, or foreign State [rep]" stays there. He won't be able to, it's too complicated, but not to complicated to be found guilty.

You need to keep in mind, the GOP is not head over hills about this guy. They prefer Pence.
Old 11th January 2017, 10:40 PM   #2959
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Always suspected he would enjoy getting peed on!!! Golden shower for an orange sour!!!!

Wash this space!

Old 11th January 2017, 10:53 PM   #2960
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Well, Rachel Maddow had some answers tonight.

Exxon has a 500 billion dollar investment in drilling Russian oil, mostly around the Arctic. It's a wasted investment until the sanctions are lifted. Not to mention Trump et al would be interested in seeing the price of oil go up. Don't expect any stimulation to switch to renewable energy sources. Trump can delay that for years, all the while he's getting kickbacks, (probably laundered though his many businesses), from the grateful Exxon and Putin.

Think that's far fetched? After all, Tillerson claims he retired and is selling his Exxon stock or something like that. Talk about an oligarchy.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics