ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags racism charges , Trump supporters

Old 18th November 2016, 08:09 PM   #1
Hercules56
Graduate Poster

Are all Trump supporters racists?

Many folks say ALL Trump supporters are racists and bigots.

I disagree.

I think many of them are. But the majority are not.

However, EVERY Trump supporter I know or have encountered in person or on the internet, is a racist and a bigot.
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2016, 08:22 PM   #2
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

When did you stop beating your wife?

Prove your computer is not a wimp ! Join Team 13232 !
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2016, 08:56 PM   #3
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

No, it is pretty much all of them. Either the non-whites drove their jobs overseas or took them over. And Obama led the charge and Hillary would vote more than once to keep it up. In other words raving ******** with IQs in the low 40s or so.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2016, 08:58 PM   #4
Hercules56
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
No, it is pretty much all of them. Either the non-whites drove their jobs overseas or took them over. And Obama led the charge and Hillary would vote more than once to keep it up. In other words raving ******** with IQs in the low 40s or so.
You forgot "we're gonna build a wall and make China pay for it"
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2016, 09:00 PM   #5
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Note, nothing in the statement above is tru except the IQ part and the fact they nbelieve that idiocy and don't see they won't get those jobs back and shouldn't for several big health reasons. So either they are dumb and don't know the truth or they do not give a **** about the health of their children and other people's (in the oil and coal messes at least).

Wash this space!

fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2016, 09:01 PM   #6
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Hercules56 View Post
You forgot "we're gonna build a wall and make China pay for it"
I am pretty sure China already has a really nice Wall to play with - it's Mexico the seems to need one that is (R) Trumpbilt !!!!!!!!!

Wash this space!

Old 18th November 2016, 09:03 PM   #7
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

How, exactly, is the Trump administration going to effect your life?

Looking at being sent back to Guatemala?

Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2016, 09:09 PM   #8
Hercules56
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post

Oh, so if it doesn't effect me personally, I shouldn't give a **** about the tens of millions that he does screw over?

Tell that to Neimoller.
Old 18th November 2016, 09:11 PM   #9
Hercules56
Graduate Poster

You know what, you're right.

I'm not a Muslim.

I'm not a woman.

I'm not a homosexual.

I'm not Hispanic.

I'm not an illegal immigrant.

I don't work for the media.

Trump would never hurt me. I'm safe.

**** the rest of em'. I'll be safe.
Old 18th November 2016, 09:16 PM   #10
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Check back when you have more than hyperbole...

Old 18th November 2016, 09:23 PM   #11
Hercules56
Graduate Poster

My comment had no hyperbole.

But yours did include some nonsense about GITMO.

Think I am a terrorist?
Old 18th November 2016, 09:30 PM   #12
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Spoken like a true privileged white male heterosexual.

If one is LGBTQ, laws affecting one's life are already on the books. No marriage certificate for you, Kim Davis is too offended to give you one.

If you are low income and you need birth control, funding and clinics are becoming scarce in some areas.

If you are black and worried the police are a little trigger happy, no worries, Trump is just going to add more cops in your town.

Tax breaks for the rich, soaring debt because Trump is in denial that anything need be funded except the military, but surprise, there are many other expenses the federal government needs like corporate corn subsidies and cleanup of all the pollution we're going to have when deregulation goes into overdrive.

Militarizing the police, soaring student debt, health insurance set backs and cancelled polities, harassing innocent Muslims which will backfire and increase terrorism, not decrease it, voter suppression of more and more minorities, and that's not even addressing the nightmare possibilities foreign policy and diplomacy have the potential to ensue, trade wars, ...

And then there is outright war. GW did it, who's to say Trump won't start his own war?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2016, 09:59 PM   #13
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
It's a wonder your side not only lost the election, but was completely blindsided by this inferior moron horde.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2016, 10:20 PM   #14
Noztradamus
Illuminator

There is nothing more than hyperbole!
Old 18th November 2016, 10:23 PM   #15
Noztradamus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
It's a wonder your side not only lost the election, but was completely blindsided by this inferior moron horde.
The Eoli never expected the Morlock attack
Old 18th November 2016, 10:27 PM   #16
332nd
Penultimate Amazing

No.
Old 18th November 2016, 10:34 PM   #17
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

I disagree.

However, EVERY Trump supporter I know or have encountered in person or on the internet, is a racist and a bigot.
I accept your data point and add my own to the picture. I've encountered several Trump voters outside these forums. The reasons that they stated to me were or were along the lines of "I like his family," "It's funny," "Hillary would be just as bad," and "We'd vote for anyone who promised to get rid of Obamacare, no matter how much we dislike them." I don't think that any of the ones that I encountered gave any indication of racism or bigotry playing a part in why they voted the way they did (outside of these forums, at least). Other negative descriptors may apply, certainly, but racist and bigot seem not to have applied. Slightly separately, I was told that Hillary lost a bunch of votes from a co-workers' friends with her comments about abortion. Whether they then voted for Trump is not something I was told, though.

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Spoken like a true privileged white male heterosexual.
Much as it would hardly need to be a true privileged white male heterosexual for that comment.

If one is LGBTQ, laws affecting one's life are already on the books. No marriage certificate for you, Kim Davis is too offended to give you one.
Provided they don't manage to achieve their goal of undoing same sex marriage entirely and nullifying all current same sex marriages retroactively.

If you are low income and you need birth control, funding and clinics are becoming scarce in some areas.
Abstinence only programs of all sorts have been shown to be so highly effective at accomplishing the desires of those pushing them, over and over, after all.

If you are black and worried the police are a little trigger happy, no worries, Trump is just going to add more cops in your town.
This, on the other hand... you say that like Trump's promises mean something.

Tax breaks for the rich, soaring debt because Trump is in denial that anything need be funded except the military, but surprise, there are many other expenses the federal government needs like corporate corn subsidies and cleanup of all the pollution we're going to have when deregulation goes into overdrive.

Militarizing the police, soaring student debt, health insurance set backs and cancelled polities, harassing innocent Muslims which will backfire and increase terrorism, not decrease it, voter suppression of more and more minorities, and that's not even addressing the nightmare possibilities foreign policy and diplomacy have the potential to ensue, trade wars, ...

And then there is outright war. GW did it, who's to say Trump won't start his own war?
This is a bit of a mix of things, though. Soaring student debt, for example, isn't Trump or his administration's fault, whether or not they address it. Furthermore, Trump's already given notable reason to believe that he's breaking a bunch of his campaign promises. Going past that, the Senate and House being dominated by Republicans with goals like what you pointed out is of notably more real concern in a number of ways.

Still, to single out that last bit, Trump trying to charge into outright war is closer to an expection than a mere unsubstantiated possibility. Whether Congress gives him enough rope to make it official is a notably different matter.

Last edited by Aridas; 18th November 2016 at 10:41 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2016, 01:36 AM   #18
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
We did not all assume victory, just hoped the polls were right - and in all fairness they were - for the popular vote, which should have been the only vote that counted from the beginning.

Wash this space!

Old 19th November 2016, 01:38 AM   #19
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Noztradamus View Post
The Eloi were trained to follow the horns/sirens to the Morlocks. No attack really needed.

Wash this space!

Old 19th November 2016, 02:15 AM   #20
Ethan Thane Athen
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Noztradamus View Post
It's Eloi. I'm only saying because it was then adapted for one of the best German prog rock bands ever, Eloy!
Ethan Thane Athen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2016, 03:02 AM   #21
Shiner
Motor Mouth

I disagree.

Yep. They're all racists and bigots. Every single one. Including these ....

Cubans in Florida
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...-backed-trump/

Rural Latinos
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ump-heres-why/

People of color
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...eres-the-data/

College educated women
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...omen.html?_r=0

LGBT
http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2016/11/1...lection-facts/

Last edited by Shiner; 19th November 2016 at 03:05 AM.
Shiner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2016, 03:35 AM   #22
Porpoise of Life
Master Poster

All of them? A rather broad brush you're using...
Anyway, I should just stay away from this subforum for a while. Ever since the election Americans appear to have gotten even more partisan, more divided, and angrier.
Good luck guys.

Originally Posted by Ethan Thane Athen View Post
It's Eloi. I'm only saying because it was then adapted for one of the best German prog rock bands ever, Eloy!
Thanks for that, now I have something to listen to while I clean my kitchen.
Porpoise of Life is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2016, 04:32 AM   #23
Shiner
Motor Mouth

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
All of them? A rather broad brush you're using...
Anyway, I should just stay away from this subforum for a while. Ever since the election Americans appear to have gotten even more partisan, more divided, and angrier.
Good luck guys.

Thanks for that, now I have something to listen to while I clean my kitchen.
If you were replying to my post, I apologise. I was being sarcastic.

If you were replying to the OP, then disregard, and well, yeah.
Shiner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2016, 05:41 AM   #24
Roger Ramjets
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Shiner View Post
Yep. They're all racists and bigots. Every single one. Including....

Cubans in Florida
Your wrong!

Cubans can't be racist

Quote:
Rural Latinos
Latinos can't be racist

Quote:
People of color
'People of color' can't be racist

Quote:
College educated women
Educated women can't be racist

Quote:
LGBT
Gays can't be racist

Only white christian males can be racists or bigots, and only if they tell you they are.
Old 19th November 2016, 05:46 AM   #25
Tero
Muse

Every NRA member voted Trump.
90% of those owning a horse voted Trump
All those who own cattle or dairy cows voted Trump
All conspiracy theorists voted Trump
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2016, 05:55 AM   #26
Roger Ramjets
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
I've encountered several Trump voters outside these forums. The reasons that they stated to me were or were along the lines of "I like his family," "It's funny," "Hillary would be just as bad," and "We'd vote for anyone who promised to get rid of Obamacare, no matter how much we dislike them." I don't think that any of the ones that I encountered gave any indication of racism or bigotry playing a part
Often the reasons people give for their actions are not their real motivations.

"I like his family" = we should have a monarchy

"It's funny" = I want to see the world burn

"Hillary would be just as bad" = I am a dittohead

"We'd vote for anyone who promised to get rid of Obamacare" = I'm a republican

But anyone who voted for Trump knows they are supporting racism. Being racist isn't just about what you say.
Old 19th November 2016, 06:09 AM   #27
zorro99
Critical Thinker

A significant number of his supporters are racist.
Old 19th November 2016, 06:18 AM   #28
3point14
Pi

The answer is: We don't know.

It appears, however, that Trump supporters don't care if Trump himself appears to be racist or espouses racist (and sexist) philosophy.

We are lions, not tigers.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2016, 09:22 AM   #29
Grizzly Bear
このマスクによっ

Here is a novel idea... trump got the majority of his votes from rural areas inclusive of the south and the midwest outside on metropolitan areas that themselves hold over half of the countrys population. Perhaps us city folks don't give a crap about the rural areas and brushing them all of as racists without prejudice is the easy escape out.

Trump could very well be bad news... i want to give him benefit of the doubt, but he did use hyper partisan rhetoric to help clinch his election. I cant forgive that... But if people here want to play the blame game using nothing but hyperbolic race bait then you all have time to blame 40 percent of the voting age population that didnt vote, and yourselves to blame for using the same cliche rhetoric without even bothering to have a decent conversation with people from the areas in which trump won his votes.

Everyone clamouring for a change to the EC needs to stop complaining about it. Its the rules of engagement the candidates have run by. It requires a constitutional amendment to drastically change. Start on it... but understand that its status as a "stupid rule" has swapped based on the winner in past elections. And your rule changes are subject to use by the other side.

I myself may take a break from this subforum given how crazy people's logic has gotten to the point where theres virtually no such thing as a decent conversation. Peoples positions are written like twitter posts.

Last edited by Grizzly Bear; 19th November 2016 at 09:25 AM.
Grizzly Bear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2016, 09:55 AM   #30
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

No, of course not all Trump supporters are racists and bigots. But, at least in the USA, most racists and bigots are Trump supporters.
Old 19th November 2016, 10:21 AM   #31
phiwum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
The answer is: We don't know.

It appears, however, that Trump supporters don't care if Trump himself appears to be racist or espouses racist (and sexist) philosophy.
I think the answer is: almost certainly not. Even if a great number of Trump supporters are racist, it is almost certainly not the case that all of them are.
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2016, 10:40 AM   #32
Argumemnon
World Maker

I disagree.

/Thread.
Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2016, 11:15 AM   #33
Aridas

Originally Posted by Grizzly Bear View Post
Everyone clamouring for a change to the EC needs to stop complaining about it. Its the rules of engagement the candidates have run by. It requires a constitutional amendment to drastically change. Start on it... but understand that its status as a "stupid rule" has swapped based on the winner in past elections. And your rule changes are subject to use by the other side.
This is the point in your post most worth challenging. Over the past 200 years, the electoral college has apparently been challenged more than 700 times and a majority of the public, sometimes a very significant majority (81% in 1968, for example), seems to have been opposed to it for a long time. At best, I could agree with the sentiment that people who are only asking for change because they're being poor losers should shut up. A lot of it likely is, though, that Trump getting elected against the majority's will serves more as a spark that's lighting the fuel of dissatisfaction with the system and is serving far more as motivation and focal point than direct cause. Living with something that one doesn't like, but changes nothing, tends to be notably less noteworthy and worthy of challenge than something that something that one doesn't like and is perceived to be causing things to get worse.
Old 19th November 2016, 11:19 AM   #34
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I think the answer is: almost certainly not. Even if a great number of Trump supporters are racist, it is almost certainly not the case that all of them are.
'Almost certainly not' and 'we don't know' aren't mutually exclusive.

We are lions, not tigers.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2016, 12:00 PM   #35
sunmaster14
Suspended

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
This is the point in your post most worth challenging. Over the past 200 years, the electoral college has apparently been challenged more than 700 times and a majority of the public, sometimes a very significant majority (81% in 1968, for example), seems to have been opposed to it for a long time. At best, I could agree with the sentiment that people who are only asking for change because they're being poor losers should shut up. A lot of it likely is, though, that Trump getting elected against the majority's will serves more as a spark that's lighting the fuel of dissatisfaction with the system and is serving far more as motivation and focal point than direct cause. Living with something that one doesn't like, but changes nothing, tends to be notably less noteworthy and worthy of challenge than something that something that one doesn't like and is perceived to be causing things to get worse.
This is a claim for which there is insufficient evidence. We don't know how the people who didn't vote for President would have voted if the winner were based on popular vote rather than electoral college vote. For example, California had no statewide election (except for President of the US), so there was little incentive for Republicans there to vote given that the vote for President was a foregone conclusion. California represents a big chunk of Hillary's outperformance right there. In a popular vote contest, both candidates would have spent more time and money carrying their message (and tailoring it) to high population areas, so the results could have been dramatically different.
sunmaster14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2016, 12:08 PM   #36
The_Animus
Master Poster

No

And what do you possibly hope to accomplish with this thread?

Feeding trolls only makes them stronger, yet it is so hard to refrain.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2016, 12:11 PM   #37
uke2se
Philosopher

Probably not, but they voted for one. They need to own that.
Old 19th November 2016, 03:06 PM   #38
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

No, they are not all racist. But they are all terrible people. It just happens there are many ways to be terrible.
Old 19th November 2016, 03:24 PM   #39
Ray Brady
Graduate Poster

No, not all Trump supporters are racist. But for every last one of them, Trump's racism was not a deal-breaker.
Ray Brady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2016, 04:42 PM   #40
Aridas

Originally Posted by sunmaster14 View Post
This is a claim for which there is insufficient evidence. We don't know how the people who didn't vote for President would have voted if the winner were based on popular vote rather than electoral college vote. For example, California had no statewide election (except for President of the US), so there was little incentive for Republicans there to vote given that the vote for President was a foregone conclusion. California represents a big chunk of Hillary's outperformance right there. In a popular vote contest, both candidates would have spent more time and money carrying their message (and tailoring it) to high population areas, so the results could have been dramatically different.
*sigh* My apologies. I should have likely specifically said that I was speaking of the majority of voters who actually voted. You are quite right that there's no good way to generalize the stance of the potential voters who didn't vote in the first place, for whatever reasons. Lack of data is lack of data, after all. A little bit more in line with the larger point though, you're also pointing out that the electoral college can be reasonably seen to be suppressing the votes of the members a less dominant party and to add to that a bit on similar lines, thus also reducing the motivation for members of a dominant party to vote. The "outperformance" caused by the suppression is likely smaller than you're suggesting.

That it suppresses votes is one of the long time reasons for opposition to the Electoral College, though, I think.

Originally Posted by Ray Brady View Post
No, not all Trump supporters are racist. But for every last one of them, Trump's racism was not a deal-breaker.
Assuming that they were even notably aware of it. I'm not especially convinced that a person who voted for Trump because he likes Trump's family was informed enough in the first place that it's even fair to bring racism into the picture. Nor for people who ignored politics fairly completely before going to vote and just voting straight Republican party.

Last edited by Aridas; 19th November 2016 at 04:56 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics