ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags logical fallacies

Old 25th December 2016, 09:33 PM   #361
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Snerk.

Can not answer the question?

Anyone doubt the big dog?

Spikes the *********** football.
Illusory Superiority.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2016, 09:38 PM   #362
mijopaalmc
Philosopher

Snerk.

Can not answer the question?

Anyone doubt the big dog?

Spikes the *********** football.
I answered the question:

The asker's intent is irrelevant.
mijopaalmc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2016, 09:58 PM   #363
The Big Dog
Suspended

Originally Posted by mijopaalmc View Post
I answered the question:

The asker's intent is irrelevant.
Bwhahaha!

Lolz, I asked you a simple question and you refused to answer.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2016, 10:06 PM   #364
mijopaalmc
Philosopher

Bwhahaha!

Lolz, I asked you a simple question and you refused to answer.
No, I answered it, but you didn't like the answer.
mijopaalmc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th December 2016, 06:47 AM   #365
phiwum
Philosopher

Total fraud. Who in the **** do you think you are kidding, Ph.D.?

Do you think that people do not know that the claim at issue was a blatant claim of hypocrisy?

Damn.
In plain English arguments, there is always much left implicit. In order to evaluate an argument, then, one must try to determine what has been left out. The best way to do so, of course, is to ask one's interlocutor what he meant. This is not always possible, but surely it is almost always possible here on the forum. Barring this, one must provide an interpretation on one's own, tentatively stated but guided by principles of charity and fairness.

In this case, all we know is that, after A claimed the reason that Trump voters didn't vote Hillary is because she did X, B pointed out that Trump also did X. Now, of course this might suggest that Trump voters are hypocrites, but only if we accept A's claim and that is precisely what is at issue. B's response must instead be an attempt to refute A's claim and that makes perfect sense. The doing of X cannot explain why Trump voters didn't vote for Hillary, since Trump also did X. A's explanation is inadequate.

Note as well that even had B's point been that Trump voters are acting inconsistently, this isn't really hypocrisy (it is not they that said one ought to act one way and then acted another) and it doesn't even approach a tu quoque fallacy since they are not proposing any arguments.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th December 2016, 07:40 AM   #366
wareyin
Philosopher

Anyone doubt agree with the big dog?
No

Spikes the *********** football after scoring an own goal in the hockey game he's actually playing.
ftfy
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th December 2016, 09:37 AM   #367
The Big Dog
Suspended

Then lets bring this to an end shall we?

What was the purpose of the accusation of hypocrisy?

TBD's position is that it is an attempt to make a substantive, albeit fallacious argument.

Your position is:????
Seemed like a simple question, didn't it?

The mental gymnastics employed to avoid answering it were spellbinding

Tbd's position and analysis is established.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th December 2016, 10:41 AM   #368
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Why is this discussion giving me Robert Prey flashbacks? Is "drops mic" the new "crickets"? I'm thinking lolz=baloney.
Old 26th December 2016, 10:42 AM   #369
mijopaalmc
Philosopher

Seemed like a simple question, didn't it?

The mental gymnastics employed to avoid answering it were spellbinding

Tbd's position and analysis is established.
It was answered.

How is "mentioning that Trump voters are being hypocritical is not fallacious" not an an answer?
Old 26th December 2016, 10:44 AM   #370
The Big Dog
Suspended

It was answered.

How is "mentioning that Trump voters are being hypocritical is not fallacious" not an an answer?
Thank you. That makes it clear that you did not answer the question.

The question was: what was the purpose of the accusation of hypocrisy?
Old 26th December 2016, 10:46 AM   #371
mijopaalmc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
Why is this discussion giving me Robert Prey flashbacks? Is "drops mic" the new "crickets"? I'm thinking lolz=baloney.
Mic drop
Old 26th December 2016, 10:53 AM   #372
mijopaalmc
Philosopher

Thank you. That makes it clear that you did not answer the question.

The question was: what was the purpose of the accusation of hypocrisy?
Quote:
And you "answered" it thusly:

Then lets bring this to an end shall we?

TBD's position is that it is an attempt to make a substantive, albeit fallacious argument.

And I responded:

Quote:
It is not fallacious to point out that is hypocritical to justify not voting for Clinton due to some action that she took while voting for Trump despite the fact that he perform the same action. Not every notation of hypocrisy is a tu quoque. In fact, when the hypocrisy plays directly into the final conclusion of the argument, noting it is a valid refutation of the argument.
In other words, I directly addressed your explicitly stated opinion.
Old 26th December 2016, 11:01 AM   #373
The Big Dog
Suspended

And I responded:

In other words, I directly addressed your explicitly stated opinion.
I did not ask you to address my opinion.

I asked "what was the purpose of the accusation of hypocrisy"?
Old 26th December 2016, 11:02 AM   #374
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Yeah, I know. Look up Robert Prey and "crickets"
Old 26th December 2016, 11:33 AM   #375
The Big Dog
Suspended

Crickets
Old 26th December 2016, 11:47 AM   #376
mijopaalmc
Philosopher

I did not ask you to address my opinion.

I asked "what was the purpose of the accusation of hypocrisy"?
And then:

Quote:

I gave you my position when I said, "It is not fallacious". I'm sorry you don't like it.
Old 26th December 2016, 11:50 AM   #377
The Big Dog
Suspended

And then:

I gave you my position when I said, "It is not fallacious". I'm sorry you don't like it.
And again, the question was "what was the purpose of the accusation of hypocrisy?"

"It is not fallacious" does not answer that question.

Again, what was the purpose of the accusation of hypocrisy?
Old 26th December 2016, 12:02 PM   #378
mijopaalmc
Philosopher

And again, the question was "what was the purpose of the accusation of hypocrisy?"

"It is not fallacious" does not answer that question.

Again, what was the purpose of the accusation of hypocrisy?
If you entree an answer to that question, you shouldn't have asserted that it was fallacious. I was responding to your assertion that the accusation of hypocrisy was fallacious, and the last sentence in my response does answer your query as to the accusation's purpose.
Old 26th December 2016, 12:45 PM   #379
The Big Dog
Suspended

It is not fallacious to point out that is hypocritical to justify not voting for Clinton due to some action that she took while voting for Trump despite the fact that he perform the same action. Not every notation of hypocrisy is a tu quoque. In fact, when the hypocrisy plays directly into the final conclusion of the argument, noting it is a valid refutation of the argument.
If you entree an answer to that question, you shouldn't have asserted that it was fallacious. I was responding to your assertion that the accusation of hypocrisy was fallacious, and the last sentence in my response does answer your query as to the accusation's purpose.
Again, claiming that you have refuted something does not answer this question:

Old 26th December 2016, 12:49 PM   #380
mijopaalmc
Philosopher

Again, claiming that you have refuted something does not answer this question:

I explained why it was a refutation. The fact that you don't like that it's a reputation doesn't mean that it isn't.
Old 26th December 2016, 01:08 PM   #381
The Big Dog
Suspended

I explained why it was a refutation. The fact that you don't like that it's a reputation doesn't mean that it isn't.
I did not ask you why it was a refutation, I asked you what was the purpose of the accusation of hypocrisy?
Old 26th December 2016, 01:16 PM   #382
mijopaalmc
Philosopher

I did not ask you why it was a refutation, I asked you what was the purpose of the accusation of hypocrisy?
And that is answered in the last sentence of my direct response to your initial request:

Old 26th December 2016, 01:23 PM   #383
The Big Dog
Suspended

I asked you what was the purpose of the accusation of hypocrisy?

"In fact, when the hypocrisy plays directly into the final conclusion of the argument, noting it is a valid refutation of the argument."

Does not answer the question as already explained

"what was the purpose of the accusation of hypocrisy?"
Old 26th December 2016, 01:28 PM   #384
mijopaalmc
Philosopher

I asked you what was the purpose of the accusation of hypocrisy?

"In fact, when the hypocrisy plays directly into the final conclusion of the argument, noting it is a valid refutation of the argument."

Does not answer the question as already explained

"what was the purpose of the accusation of hypocrisy?"

It is an explicit description of the purpose of mentioning the hypocrisy of Trump voters' stated reason for voting for Clinton. Why don't you understand this?
Old 26th December 2016, 01:33 PM   #385
The Big Dog
Suspended

It is an explicit description of the purpose of mentioning the hypocrisy of Trump voters' stated reason for voting for Clinton. Why don't you understand this?
This is again incomprehensible.

I am uncertain at this point whether you are merely unwilling to answer the question, or simply incapable, but it does not make a difference at this point.

In any event, this thread has been another tour de force example of the TBD's mastery over the subject matter at hand.
Old 26th December 2016, 01:36 PM   #386
mijopaalmc
Philosopher

This is again incomprehensible.

I am uncertain at this point whether you are merely unwilling to answer the question, or simply incapable, but it does not make a difference at this point.

In any event, this thread has been another tour de force example of the TBD's mastery over the subject matter at hand.
Yeah, try "for not voting for Clinton" instead of "for voting for Clinton".
Old 26th December 2016, 02:37 PM   #387
wareyin
Philosopher

Indeed, you have shown your usual level of understanding, as you declare victory while experts point out your failure.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th December 2016, 02:54 PM   #388
The Big Dog
Suspended

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Indeed, you have shown your usual level of understanding, as you declare victory while experts point out your failure.
There is but one expert in this thread, and you are reading his post.
Old 26th December 2016, 03:03 PM   #389
phiwum
Philosopher

Well, aren't we lucky to have such a brainy one drop by to tutor us in logic.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th December 2016, 03:04 PM   #390
The Big Dog
Suspended

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Yes you are.
Old 26th December 2016, 03:27 PM   #391
phiwum
Philosopher

Yes you are.
Tell you what, you let me know if you want a serious conversation about logical fallacies and how to interpret this or that argument. At this point, I'm convinced that you have no intention to seriously address any of these issues.
Old 26th December 2016, 04:02 PM   #392
wareyin
Philosopher

I believe the appropriate rejoinder is Bwahahaha
Old 26th December 2016, 04:59 PM   #393
The Big Dog
Suspended

Tell you what, you let me know if you want a serious conversation about logical fallacies and how to interpret this or that argument. At this point, I'm convinced that you have no intention to seriously address any of these issues.
Irony.

Pure unadulterated irony
Old 26th December 2016, 05:32 PM   #394
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Illusory Superiority.

Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th December 2016, 05:44 PM   #395
The Big Dog
Suspended

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
You're treading back into your illusory superiority again. it doesn't help your 'argument'. All you're doing is dismissing the argument others have put forward simply because you disagree with it, and because you think you know better.
Classic Illusory Superiority.
There's a reason I accuse him of Illusory Superiority.
Oh dear. You appear to suffer from Illusory Superiority. It fits. Want me to drop it? Then stop with the attitude, drop the condescension, and address the argument with personalizing it.

Again, you appear to be caught up in the idea that you MUST be right, you can't understand that you might be wrong.
And yet you don't address the argument. Illusory Superiority in a nutshell. Classic example.
Oh look. A classic example of illusory superiority.

At least you're educating people on what that is.
You continue to exhibit illusory Superiority. I applaud you for the dedication to your craft. Too bad you don't have an argument. When you accept the facts, and admit defeat, I'll drop the accusation.
... You try and place yourself above the rest of all with your sneers, and your condescending attitude. You feel you're smarter, and better than the rest of us. You aren't. Thus, the argument and claim of Illusory Superiority is valid....
False. Wrong. Drops Mic.

Oh yes: Illusory Superiority.

BOOM. HEADSHOT.
Illusory Superiority.
Illusory Superiority.
Wow.
Old 26th December 2016, 06:07 PM   #396
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Wow.
It IS amazing on how right I am in all those posts.

Old 26th December 2016, 06:13 PM   #397
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

What a pleasure to see that this thread is providing such joy to TBD over the Christmas holiday season! Many of TBD's posts do contradict what I would have expected as to humility ( http://www.openbible.info/topics/being_humble) based on other TBD threads, but the sheer happiness really leaps out of his posts here. As has been shown, happiness mostly originates internally and need not be rooted in reality.
But in all sincerity,
Merry Christmas and Boxing Day,TBD!
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2016, 11:01 AM   #398
The Big Dog
Suspended

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
What a pleasure to see that this thread is providing such joy to TBD over the Christmas holiday season! Many of TBD's posts do contradict what I would have expected as to humility ( http://www.openbible.info/topics/being_humble) based on other TBD threads, but the sheer happiness really leaps out of his posts here. As has been shown, happiness mostly originates internally and need not be rooted in reality.
But in all sincerity,
Merry Christmas and Boxing Day,TBD!
I am just happy to be able to educate folks on the basis of critical thinking.
Old 27th December 2016, 12:32 PM   #399
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Actually, I am learning quite a bit from you, it's been very interesting to observe your performance, and your example has led me into research beyond just the philosophic discussion. I have learned from the other participants also, albeit in a more ostensibly academic fashion, in most cases. Thanks!
Old 27th December 2016, 12:36 PM   #400
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

And as I mentioned I have found your posts very entertaining. They seem so.. self-confident and overtly self-congratulatory despite the weight of evidence presented against your viewpoint that has been provided by virtually everyone else here. In other threads you have identified yourself as a devoted Christian (Catholic I believe), for which my understanding is that humility and humbleness is a crucial central belief. From where do you obtain your extraordinary self-assurance as presented in your posts in the current thread? Do you find that it conflicts with the precepts of your religious faith?

I really do not want to derail this thread, only to explore the basis behind your posts in this thread so that I can understand the rationale and evidence behind your strong advocacy of your viewpoint here. But if you wish, particularly in regard to the question of reconciling your posts here to your views on religion, I will set up a separate thread to discuss this issue. Particularly if posters here believe this is a distraction for the current thread. Also I understand religion is usually a private matter- if you do not wish to discuss it at all I will not bring it up again.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal