ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 23rd December 2016, 11:43 PM   #1
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster

No one wants to play the Inauguration

The featured headliners for Inauguration Day are the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and the Rockettes (dancing troupe) because nearly everyone else turned the event down. And the dancers themselves are up in arms because they have been basically roped into it by their contracts.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...ration-n699296
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2016, 11:57 PM   #2
madurobob
Philosopher

I think the MTC should perform a raucous cover version of this. That would be awesome on so many levels.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 24th December 2016, 12:04 AM   #3
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by madurobob View Post
I think the MTC should perform a raucous cover version of this. That would be awesome on so many levels.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2016, 12:17 AM   #4
rdaneel
Illuminator

(Stolen from elsewhere)

Leaked image of Inauguration rehersal
- Agatha Heterodyne
"Million to one chances crop up nine times out of ten." - Terry Pratchett

Last edited by rdaneel; 24th December 2016 at 12:24 AM.
rdaneel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2016, 12:59 AM   #5
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post
The featured headliners for Inauguration Day are the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and the Rockettes (dancing troupe) because nearly everyone else turned the event down. And the dancers themselves are up in arms because they have been basically roped into it by their contracts.

Seems like the Rockettes want a freedom of conscience exemption to avoid serving a paying customer. Because the Rockettes, like all progs, are hateful hypocritical douchebags.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2016, 01:10 AM   #6
Shiner
Motor Mouth

.... because nearly everyone else turned the event down. .

I didn't see that (or the thread title) covered in the article you linked. Did you have any information to support that? Like who turned it down?

Last edited by Shiner; 24th December 2016 at 01:12 AM.
Shiner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2016, 01:16 AM   #7
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Seems like the Rockettes want a freedom of conscience exemption to avoid serving a paying customer. Because the Rockettes, like all progs, are hateful hypocritical douchebags.
Or maybe it's because this particular paying customer is a misogynistic douchebag and unregistered sex offender? Maybe it's because they don't want to perform for a lecherous little Napoleon who thinks he has the right to march backstage and inspect them while they get dressed, or even assault them because he's a "star?" You're saying that hating that guy is just like hating all queers? Really?
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2016, 01:18 AM   #8
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

That or they would all prefer to not be grabbed by any part of their bodies.

Spoilsports.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2016, 04:58 AM   #9
shuize
Master Poster

Exactly. When the shoe's on the other foot, you will be made to care. But when it's their convictions, "Hey, that's, like, totally different and stuff, Man."

As best I can tell, religious freedom/freedom of conscience is good when it involves peyote smoking Native American drug counselors or performers who just don't like Trump. But double plus ungood when it involves religious employers who don't want to pay for abortions or bakers who prefer not to cater homosexual weddings.
shuize is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2016, 05:04 AM   #10
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

I AGREE

I AGREE

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 24th December 2016 at 05:07 AM.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2016, 06:18 AM   #11
sts60
Master Poster

Originally Posted by shuize View Post
As best I can tell, religious freedom/freedom of conscience is good when it involves peyote smoking Native American drug counselors or performers who just don't like Trump. But double plus ungood when it involves religious employers who don't want to pay for abortions or bakers who prefer not to cater homosexual weddings.
I dunno what you're referring to in the first example (although it sounds ridiculous). But exactly what category of people are being discriminated against by performers who don't want to perform at Trump's inauguration? They regularly perform for people of every class already covered by the most generous anti-discrimination rules, so it has nothing to do with ethnicity, religious views, sexual orientation or identity or whatever the terms are, political affiliation, veteran's status, etc. I find it hard to believe the Rockettes haven't performed willingly for white, male, heterosexual, pretend-Christian, draft-dodging, Republicans before.

Or do we now think that "people who brag about sexual assault" should be a protected class?

Seriously. What actual discrimination is going on here, assuming the story is correct? Whose core beliefs are being violated? The belief that Trump should get whatever he wants?
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2016, 06:23 AM   #12
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Because the Rockettes, like all progs, are hateful hypocritical douchebags.
Hypocritical?
Old 24th December 2016, 07:36 AM   #13
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Can you point me to their contract and the payment schedule? Plus of course what protected group does Trump belong to?
Old 24th December 2016, 07:37 AM   #14
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Exactly. When the shoe's on the other foot, you will be made to care. But when it's their convictions, "Hey, that's, like, totally different and stuff, Man."

Which protected group does Trump belong to and can you provide their contract and payment schedule?
Old 24th December 2016, 07:41 AM   #15
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Shiner View Post
I didn't see that (or the thread title) covered in the article you linked. Did you have any information to support that? Like who turned it down?
http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...n-invites.html
Old 24th December 2016, 07:52 AM   #16
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I'm kind of hoping he does venture backstage and get gropey, and one of them high-kicks his feeble little nuggets right through that garbage bag of rotting yams that is his body.
Old 24th December 2016, 07:54 AM   #17
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Old 24th December 2016, 07:54 AM   #18
sir drinks-a-lot
Master Poster

Hove you considered that they may be concerned about death threats by the brownshirted TDS zealots of the left?
Old 24th December 2016, 07:57 AM   #19
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
Hove you considered that they may be concerned about death threats by the brownshirted TDS zealots of the left?
That's not what they've said.
Old 24th December 2016, 08:14 AM   #20
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

More like they loathe enemabag, sexist, motherraping, orange, rectum suckers
who like to assault women and underage girls. I do not see a problem with that!!! And will not be unhappy if the person forcing them to perform for such a creature has a massive heart attack while performing fellatio on it!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2016, 08:22 AM   #21
sir drinks-a-lot
Master Poster

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
More like they loathe enemabag, sexist, motherraping, orange, rectum suckers
who like to assault women and underage girls. I do not see a problem with that!!! And will not be unhappy if the person forcing them to perform for such a creature has a massive heart attack while performing fellatio on it!!!
Edited by Agatha:  Edited for breach of rule 0. Be civil and polite to forum members, please.

Last edited by Agatha; 24th December 2016 at 10:59 AM.
sir drinks-a-lot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2016, 08:28 AM   #22
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Evidences?
Old 24th December 2016, 08:29 AM   #23
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Edited by Agatha:  Edited moderated content
Edited by Agatha:  Edited response to moderated content

Last edited by Agatha; 24th December 2016 at 11:01 AM.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2016, 08:52 AM   #24
sir drinks-a-lot
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Evidences?
Er, uh, evidence for what?
Old 24th December 2016, 09:22 AM   #25
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Everything for those inside the State, nothing for those outside the State.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2016, 09:24 AM   #26
Mumbles
Illuminator

OP's info is a bit out of date - this was a concern a few days ago, but their management has since stated that they are not required to perform.

IMO, if their contracts required it, I wouldn't see much issue with management stating "no, this is our job, do it or leave." And of course, I also wouldn't have much problem with the Rockettes leaving en masse in response. But it seems that this is not the case after all, so...that's fine as well.

BTW, the appropriate analogy to bakers refusing to bake for a same-sex couple would be Rockettes management refusing to perform for Trump because he was straight, or something similar. It's always bizarre to me when people think that "sexual predator" is analogous to "gay".
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2016, 09:37 AM   #27
shuize
Master Poster

Originally Posted by sts60 View Post
I dunno what you're referring to in the first example (although it sounds ridiculous) ...

Then you don't know anything about the Religious Freedom Restoration Act (RFRA). The law was introduced in response to the Supreme Court's decision in Employment Division v. Smith. That case involved two Native American drug counselors at a private rehabilitation clinic who were fired for using peyote and subsequently denied unemployment benefits.

Our friends on the left think RFRA is really neat when used to make it harder for the government to burden the religious beliefs of groups they like, i.e. peyote smoking Native American drug counselors. They just don't seem to think other people deserve the same consideration, i.e. religious business owners who don't want to pay for abortions.
shuize is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2016, 09:39 AM   #28
newyorkguy
Philosopher

If you look on line there are a number of performers who have apparently -- through their agent or manager -- made it plain they would not consider appearing at the Trump Inauguration bash. (I'm not sure any of them have turned down an actual request.) With Trump's reputation for being vindictive, extending to any personal slight (no matter how small), that takes a certain amount of courage on the part of the performers.

People have to understand, many of us object to Trump on moral and ethical grounds, it's not just politics. All the personal attacks, name calling or ridiculous analogies anyone can come up with is not going to change that.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2016, 09:41 AM   #29
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Then you don't know anything about the Religious Freedom Restoration Act (RFRA). The law was introduced in response to the Supreme Court's decision in Employment Division v. Smith. That case involved two Native American drug counselors at a private rehabilitation clinic who were fired for using peyote and subsequently denied unemployment benefits.

Our friends on the left think RFRA is really neat when used to make it harder for the government to burden the religious beliefs of groups they like, i.e. peyote smoking Native American drug counselors. They just don't seem to think other people deserve the same consideration, i.e. religious business owners who don't want to pay for abortions.
You do know that you are so far off point your entire post is a non-sequitur?
Old 24th December 2016, 09:42 AM   #30
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Everything for those inside the State, nothing for those outside the State.
Eh? We are discussing a party held when your state changes its head! You can't get anymore "inside the state" than the president!
Old 24th December 2016, 09:49 AM   #31
sts60
Master Poster

Oh, I've heard of the RFRA; just not the case you mentioned.

But it has nothing, as far as I can tell, to do with performers not wanting to perform for Trump. FWIW, his latest whiny little twitter-tantrum hasn't mentioned it either.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2016, 09:52 AM   #32
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Or maybe it's because this particular paying customer is a misogynistic douchebag and unregistered sex offender? Maybe it's because they don't want to perform for a lecherous little Napoleon who thinks he has the right to march backstage and inspect them while they get dressed, or even assault them because he's a "star?" You're saying that hating that guy is just like hating all queers? Really?
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
That or they would all prefer to not be grabbed by any part of their bodies.

Spoilsports.
Originally Posted by sts60 View Post
... But exactly what category of people are being discriminated against by performers who don't want to perform at Trump's inauguration? They regularly perform for people of every class already covered by the most generous anti-discrimination rules, so it has nothing to do with ethnicity, religious views, sexual orientation or identity or whatever the terms are, political affiliation, veteran's status, etc. I find it hard to believe the Rockettes haven't performed willingly for white, male, heterosexual, pretend-Christian, draft-dodging, Republicans before.

Or do we now think that "people who brag about sexual assault" should be a protected class?

Seriously. What actual discrimination is going on here, assuming the story is correct? Whose core beliefs are being violated? The belief that Trump should get whatever he wants?
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
... Plus of course what protected group does Trump belong to?
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
... BTW, the appropriate analogy to bakers refusing to bake for a same-sex couple would be Rockettes management refusing to perform for Trump because he was straight, or something similar. It's always bizarre to me when people think that "sexual predator" is analogous to "gay".
The difference is so obvious but I'm not surprised some of the right wingers on the forum just don't get it.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2016, 09:59 AM   #33
catsmate
No longer the 1

Er, uh, evidence for what?
For your claimed death threats, for a start.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2016, 10:55 AM   #34
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe this post is intended as a joke. In the event it's not...

There's a world of difference between discrimating against a class of people -- a class of people still struggling to achieve full rights in our society -- versus discriminating against an individual, world class mega douche.

Also, be careful with that broad brush please. It plastered my entire screen and I had to reboot.
Old 24th December 2016, 11:11 AM   #35
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

There's your problem.

Once again, your persistent attempts to excuse inexcusable behavior with false equivalences has failed, and your "peyote smoking Native American drug counselors" example is just as ludicrous as claiming that misogynistic douchebags are a protected class. But here's a situation that actually is equivalent: During Prohibition in the US, there were two exceptions in the Volstead Act: one was for medicines containing alcohol. Do you know what the other one was, and why it was excluded?
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2016, 11:17 AM   #36
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Also, be careful with that broad brush please. It plastered my entire screen and I had to reboot.
Old 24th December 2016, 11:19 AM   #37
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

There's your problem.

Once again, your persistent attempts to excuse inexcusable behavior with false equivalences has failed, and your "peyote smoking Native American drug counselors" example is just as ludicrous as claiming that misogynistic douchebags are a protected class.
Or a religion.

But here's a situation that actually is equivalent: During Prohibition in the US, there were two exceptions in the Volstead Act: one was for medicines containing alcohol. Do you know what the other one was, and why it was excluded?
Wine in church?
Old 24th December 2016, 11:26 AM   #38
Navigator
Philosopher

Can you point me to their contract and the payment schedule? Plus of course what protected group does Trump belong to?
Which protected group does Trump belong to and can you provide their contract and payment schedule?
The Oligarchy.

Remember that group who were bailed out after the crash they created?

Yep - THAT protected group.

Atheism is not skepticism

Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors. ~ ISF disclaimer
Navigator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2016, 11:27 AM   #39
Hercules56
Graduate Poster

Kid Rock and Ted Nugent are some classy American musicians.

Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2016, 11:35 AM   #40
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Hercules56 View Post
Kid Rock and Ted Nugent are some classy American musicians.

Trump: "Hey! Play that Wango the Tango song!"
Nugent: "uh, that's not the song and I don't do that any...
Trump: "Then play that Journey to the Center of your Mind"
Nugent: "I'm in hell..."

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics