ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 27th December 2016, 08:40 AM   #161
The Shrike
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Spock Jenkins View Post
Back then it wasn't fashionable to loath the guy.
Sure it was, but there's a difference between taking some money from a smarmy guy with the chance to get your brand in the public eye again . . . and condoning the inauguration of that same smarm-ball as leader of the free world.

As for the Rockettes, I don't get how they're still even a thing. They exist solely to be eye candy for prurient guys like me who dig leggy, high-class showgirls. Their whole schtick is to be objectified for their beauty. I don't want to belittle the hard work they put in, but they barely even dance. They're pretty much synchronized posers who break into some fun high kicks. They're a G-rated version of the Playboy Bunnies. Thus, the mere fact that their act has been requested for the 2017 Presidential Inauguration is a sign of, at best, insensitivity toward the needs and desires of American women.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2016, 09:23 AM   #162
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

The next interesting possibility is if we get a round of shunning - against anyone who does take the gig. Let's see how far the taint is infectious and spreads from Trump to entertainers who show up. We could have a tasty bit of blacklisting, Hollywood style.

I do so like a good shunning. We can base it on, "You support sexual assault!"

Sweet Jesus, let the ostracizing begin!

"Hello? Yes, I'm calling to cancel my wedding arrangements with your company. I understand you catered the inauguration? I'm sorry, but I can't do business with anyone who promotes the sexual exploitation and rape of women."
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2016, 09:28 AM   #163
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Trace Adkins, Gene Simmons, Clint Black, T-Boz (of TLC fame), Brian McKnight, Sharon Osbourne (Ozzie connection?), Cyndi Lauper, David Cassidy, La Toya Jackson, Lil Jon, Mark McGrath, Meat Loaf, John Rich, Dionne Warwick, Clay Aiken, Debbie Gibson, Aubrey O'Day, Dee Snider, Bret Michaels, Kevin Jonas, Vince Neil, Carnie Wilson, and Boy George.

There. All singers who had no problem being associated with Trump in the past via Celebrity Apprentice. Okay - the last two are working with Arnold Schwarzenegger in the upcoming season, but I think was still Trump's show when they signed up. Back then it wasn't fashionable to loath the guy. Now it is. I'll allow that defining some of these as "singers" or "celebrity's" is a bit of a stretch these days.
I think Boy George should be the headliner.
Old 27th December 2016, 09:48 AM   #164
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
The next interesting possibility is if we get a round of shunning - against anyone who does take the gig. Let's see how far the taint is infectious and spreads from Trump to entertainers who show up. We could have a tasty bit of blacklisting, Hollywood style.

"Hello? Yes, I'm calling to cancel my wedding arrangements with your company. I understand you catered the inauguration? I'm sorry, but I can't do business with anyone who promotes the sexual exploitation and rape of women."
And it will be interesting to see if the people who object to Trump also object to working with Roman Polanski, and if the same people who call for boycotts and condemnation of Polanski give Trump a pass.
Old 27th December 2016, 11:16 AM   #165
Delphic Oracle
Master Poster

Trace Adkins, Gene Simmons, Clint Black, T-Boz (of TLC fame), Brian McKnight, Sharon Osbourne (Ozzie connection?), Cyndi Lauper, David Cassidy, La Toya Jackson, Lil Jon, Mark McGrath, Meat Loaf, John Rich, Dionne Warwick, Clay Aiken, Debbie Gibson, Aubrey O'Day, Dee Snider, Bret Michaels, Kevin Jonas, Vince Neil, Carnie Wilson, and Boy George.

There. All singers who had no problem being associated with Trump in the past via Celebrity Apprentice. Okay - the last two are working with Arnold Schwarzenegger in the upcoming season, but I think was still Trump's show when they signed up. Back then it wasn't fashionable to loath the guy. Now it is. I'll allow that defining some of these as "singers" or "celebrity's" is a bit of a stretch these days.
Two things.

First, we have learned a lot more about Trump during his campaign than someone looking over an offer to appear on a T.V. show would probably have come up with.

Second, showing up on a reality T.V. show centered on a guy who has an extravagant lifestyle and bombastic personality is rather benign compared to performing at their Presidential Inauguration (especially in light of the former issue).

That's kind of tough to just dismiss as mere bandwagoning.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2016, 11:31 AM   #166
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Was that before he started campaigning for president? If so they very much probably hadn't known about him being a racist, misogynist, sexual predator and a swindler as much of that only came to the attention of the masses during his campaign.

Plus, at least over in the UK, we were loathing him long before you Americans!
Old 27th December 2016, 11:33 AM   #167
Spock Jenkins
Muse

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
First, we have learned a lot more about Trump during his campaign than someone looking over an offer to appear on a T.V. show would probably have come up with.
Disagree here. Pretty much everything that was brought up in the campaign existed at the time of the TV show. I realize he wasn't president then - but it's not new info. NBC was sitting on the clip of their guy exchanging crude banter with him. But NBC didn't have morals then because his TV show was providing a solid revenue stream. If what he said and did was wrong during the campaign, it was wrong when he did it and NBC should've had the courage to cut ties with him at the time. But it's a selective morality.

Hypocrisy is rampant these days. Make no mistake - I'm not excusing Trump.
Spock Jenkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2016, 11:34 AM   #168
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Plus, at least over in the UK, we were loathing him long before you Americans!
I think Atlantic City and New York were ahead of the UK in that regard.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2016, 11:37 AM   #169
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
And it will be interesting to see if the people who object to Trump also object to working with Roman Polanski, and if the same people who call for boycotts and condemnation of Polanski give Trump a pass.
Got any examples in mind?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2016, 11:42 AM   #170
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Disagree here. Pretty much everything that was brought up in the campaign existed at the time of the TV show. I realize he wasn't president then - but it's not new info. NBC was sitting on the clip of their guy exchanging crude banter with him. But NBC didn't have morals then because his TV show was providing a solid revenue stream. If what he said and did was wrong during the campaign, it was wrong when he did it and NBC should've had the courage to cut ties with him at the time. But it's a selective morality.

You are trying to move the goal posts. You were listing "celebrities" and those that you mentioned would not have known about his sexual assaulting women over decades. That only came out during the campaign. And that was what everyone was responding to.

If you now want to concede that the celebrities weren't displaying hypocrisy and you were mistaken fair enough.

In regards to your new claim about the network. You haven't shown hypocrisy (yet), but I would agree with you if those making the commissioning decisions knew he was a serial sex assaulter then they should have dumped him. But the commercial world is not known for its high ethical standards, it's all about turning a buck, for an example of such low ethics in the commercial sector look into the business career of a guy called Donald Trump - terrible.

Last edited by Darat; 27th December 2016 at 11:46 AM. Reason: your r and an and too many
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2016, 11:54 AM   #171
Spock Jenkins
Muse

You are trying to move the goal posts. You were listing "celebrities" and those that you mentioned would not have known about his sexual assaulting women over decades. That only came out during the campaign. And that was what everyone was responding to.

If you now want to concede that the celebrities weren't displaying hypocrisy and you were mistaken and fair enough.

In regards to your new claim about the network. You haven't shown hypocrisy (yet), but I would agree with you if those making the commissioning decisions knew he was a serial sex assaulter then they should have dumped him. But the commercial world is not known for its high ethical standards, it's all about turning a buck, for an example of such low ethics in the commercial sector look into the business career of a guy called Donald Trump - terrible.
Sorry - I insinuated the 'celebrities' may have known more than they could have at the time in an attempt to make a joke about who he could get to perform at the inauguration.

The hypocrisy is at the corporate level in that they had that information, yet didn't come out with it until it was convenient for ratings. NBC sat on the recording for years. Having milked the Apprentice for all it's worth, then suddenly getting morals when campaign ratings were in full swing.

Maybe if they fired him then and released the recording, his campaign never gets any traction at all and we have better options overall this time around.
Spock Jenkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2016, 12:30 PM   #172
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
A veritable smörgåsbord of washed-up has-beens or never-beens. Seems quite right.
Well, then...

OK Go.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2016, 12:32 PM   #173
Delphic Oracle
Master Poster

Disagree here. Pretty much everything that was brought up in the campaign existed at the time of the TV show. I realize he wasn't president then - but it's not new info.
The info might not be 'new', our awareness of it is. Perception is reality. You're applying retroactive judgment. If only I could tell my 20 year old self the things I now now...sheesh what a buffoon I was.

Armies of production assistants and interns working for press outlets tend to be able to uncover a bit more information than an agent with lots of clients taking a quick glance over someone's public profile as a precaution against a collaboration turning into a PR disaster.

Quote:
NBC was sitting on the clip of their guy exchanging crude banter with him. But NBC didn't have morals then because his TV show was providing a solid revenue stream.
Given the plethora of issues we have these days with 'fake news' or lack of context and substance, I can't entirely fault them for exercising some caution. As a sometimes amateur documentary journalist, I can tell you there are numerous reasons why 'raw video/audio' without any setup, analysis, or follow-up statements collected from relevant parties can actually give a less accurate (or distraction-prone) presentation. There's a difference between 'sitting on' or squashing a story and developing a story. I personally don't know if it was that principled, but I also doubt you know that it isn't. My leading suspicion of a non-ethical reason to wait was for maximum impact. I don't even mean the most political impact, but the most revenue potential, it was kinda hard to find any open news cycle gaps these past few months.

Quote:
If what he said and did was wrong during the campaign, it was wrong when he did it and NBC should've had the courage to cut ties with him at the time. But it's a selective morality.
You sound like you mean they sat on them (as a known potential news story item) for over a decade. That's not the case. Maybe half a dozen people (camera operator, producer, editor, people who appear in the footage) even know that exchange occurred 11 years ago and one of them happened to have their memory jogged when reading another example of Trump's behavior. At that time it was an exchange that even those who worked on the project might roll their eyes at, but there is an NDA and you just get used to having to keep your mouth shut.

This one time, I worked on a PSA with Selena Gomez for <NDA>. From the minute she arrived on set, she was <NDA>. After several takes, the director and one of her handlers went to a side room to <NDA>. After they returned, she <NDA>. After we finally got back to business, there was still a lot of <NDA> going on. Eventually we wrapped and I've been dying to tell people what happened, but I signed an agreement saying that I would <NDA>.

Also, it's not like every second of footage of every NBC program is run by the NBC news desk. In fact, while Access Hollywood is an 'in-house' production of the NBC 'brand', almost all media organizations compartmentalize their physical production, conceptual development, organizational management, and distribution units.

With that factored in, the 'sat on it' time is a week or so, then they got scooped because of a leak from within their own organization!

Quote:
Changing one's position upon acquiring new data isn't hypocrisy. In fact, I think we don't see nearly enough of that happen in life.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 27th December 2016 at 12:35 PM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2016, 12:38 PM   #174
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Got any examples in mind?
Nope. That's why I said it would interesting if there are any. Do you think there won't be?
Old 27th December 2016, 03:03 PM   #175
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
A veritable smörgåsbord of washed-up has-beens or never-beens. Seems quite right.
At least one of which really does have brain damage.
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2016, 03:08 PM   #176
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
At least one of which really does have brain damage.
Wait, we're talking about the performers here. Leave the honoree out of it.
Old 27th December 2016, 11:50 PM   #177
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

He didn't really show people what he was until he jumped on the birther bandwagon.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2016, 04:59 AM   #178
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

It looks like there's now photographic evidence of Donald Trump doing a "pussy grab." How embarrassing.

marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2016, 01:03 PM   #179
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

RollingStone: Radio City Rockette Talks Turmoil Over Trump Inauguration
Quote:
Mary said that, as far as she knew, none of the women of color in the Rockettes had signed up to perform at Trump's inauguration. "It's almost worse to have 18 pretty white girls behind this man who supports so many hate groups," she added, noting the group's already "embarrassing" lack of diversity.

Members of the Rockettes are also wary of performing at Trump's inauguration out of respect for, and in solidarity with, members of the Rockette and Radio City staff. "It's the ensemble," Mary said. "It's the people in our wardrobe and hair department, some of whom are transgender. These are our friends and our family, who we've worked with for years. It's a basic human-rights issue. We have immigrants in the show. I feel like dancing for Trump would be disrespecting the men and women who work with us, the people we care about." ...
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2016, 02:12 PM   #180
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

They should all dance out of step.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2016, 02:52 PM   #181
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
They should all dance out of step.
Or stand there and turn their backs. Ya know what I keep remembering is how the Boy King humiliated Romney just for the sick pleasure of it. "Now dance for me, winches!"
WilliamSeger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2016, 03:02 PM   #182
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Or stand there and turn their backs. Ya know what I keep remembering is how the Boy King humiliated Romney just for the sick pleasure of it. "Now dance for me, winches!"
In that case, the best vengeance would be if they danced out, then sat down to reveal they'd been screening the real star: Chris Christie, dressed as a Rockette, kicking as high as he can while shooting the bird from both hands at Trump.
Old 28th December 2016, 03:43 PM   #183
sts60
Master Poster

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
I think Boy George should be the headliner.
Or at least the eyeliner.

It looks like there's now photographic evidence of Donald Trump doing a "pussy grab." How embarrassing.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ictureid=11116
Pretty much the same expression Lee Harvey Oswald had when Jack Ruby shot him.
sts60 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2016, 06:19 AM   #184
3point14
Pi

And that's where it ends up, when we take subjective, irrational fears seriously. It ends up with the incoming President of the United States wearing handcuffs at his own inauguration.

The subjective, irrational fear that a man who had previously, cheerfully confessed to an act might cheerfully undertake the same act again in similar circumstances? That irrational fear?

How many straight lines do you need form a to b before you move from 'irrational' to 'rational'.

We are lions, not tigers.
Turns out I don't know a lot about tigers.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2016, 07:35 AM   #185
sunmaster14
Penultimate Amazing

RollingStone: Radio City Rockette Talks Turmoil Over Trump Inauguration

Quote:
Members of the Rockettes are also wary of performing at Trump's inauguration out of respect for, and in solidarity with, members of the Rockette and Radio City staff. "It's the ensemble," Mary said. "It's the people in our wardrobe and hair department, some of whom are transgender. These are our friends and our family, who we've worked with for years. It's a basic human-rights issue. We have immigrants in the show. I feel like dancing for Trump would be disrespecting the men and women who work with us, the people we care about." ...
I guess this poor little Rockette has been confused by fake news. Why else would she think that Trump is against (or disrespectful of) immigrants, gays, or transgender people? Would she feel differently about any other Republican candidate? Trump is probably the most pro-LGBTQ of any of the original 17 Republican candidates (save, perhaps, Rand Paul, although he's probably against treating them as a protected class under the civil rights laws).
sunmaster14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2016, 07:38 AM   #186
sunmaster14
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
The subjective, irrational fear that a man who had previously, cheerfully confessed to an act might cheerfully undertake the same act again in similar circumstances? That irrational fear?

How many straight lines do you need form a to b before you move from 'irrational' to 'rational'.
It is highly irrational, to the point of delusion, to think that Trump is going to do any pussy-grabbing at his own inauguration. The people turning him down are doing so to make a political statement (or, in most cases, to avoid ostracism from those who wish to make a political statement). It can't possibly have anything to do with fear of being assaulted.
sunmaster14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2016, 07:45 AM   #187
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by sunmaster14 View Post
It is highly irrational, to the point of delusion, to think that Trump is going to do any pussy-grabbing at his own inauguration. The people turning him down are doing so to make a political statement (or, in most cases, to avoid ostracism from those who wish to make a political statement). It can't possibly have anything to do with fear of being assaulted.
Yep. As I said before, it's a red herring and a distraction. But it's one created by arguers in this thread (and perhaps elsewhere). I've not heard of any invitee saying that they're not attending for fear of being molested.

People should own up to their political positions. "The man is a hateful turdblossom and I don't want my name associated in any way with his inauguration or presidency." I'm sure that's a statement we can all get behind.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2016, 07:45 AM   #188
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

I guess this poor little Rockette has been confused by fake news. Why else would she think that Trump is against (or disrespectful of) immigrants, gays, or transgender people? Would she feel differently about any other Republican candidate? Trump is probably the most pro-LGBTQ of any of the original 17 Republican candidates (save, perhaps, Rand Paul, although he's probably against treating them as a protected class under the civil rights laws).
Fake news? You mean Trump's own words?

Immigrants- All those mexicans rapists bringing drugs
gays - Trump said he'd appoint a Justice who'd overturn marriage equality.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2016, 07:52 AM   #189
Parsman
Critical Thinker

You must be one of those people who says that Trump is only joking when he says the most extreme things to appeal to his grass roots. I would allow that by his deeds shall ye know him but from his cabinet picks he doesn't seem to be running to the sensible wing of humanity. He is certainly a man with a temper who can't be trusted to say the same thing twice about any issue, and has a history of pejorative words and actions towards people who he regards as outside the norm.

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2016, 08:00 AM   #190
The Shrike
Illuminator

[quote=Foolmewunz;11647709 "The man is a hateful turdblossom and I don't want my name associated in any way with his inauguration or presidency." I'm sure that's a statement we can all get behind.[/QUOTE]
I refuse to get behind Trump's turdblossoms.

Indeed - worry about playing Trump's inauguration for fear of sexual assault is practically a scarlet whale shark.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2016, 08:16 AM   #191
Sabrina
Wicked Lovely

What rock have you been living under? The man has repeatedly denigrated immigrants, picked a vice president who has openly advocated for a proven to be COMPLETELY ineffective therapy to "fix" the gays in the past, and has openly stated he plans to nominate a SCOTUS justice who will likely help to overturn not only marriage equality but also Roe v. Wade, forcing women to go back to the days of back-alley coat hanger abortions and forcing lesbians and homosexuals back to the days of not being allowed to marry the person they love like anyone else in the country.

This is all public record. On video. His words, as well as Mike Pence's. It's a little difficult to be confused by video of the man saying these exact things.
Old 29th December 2016, 08:33 AM   #192
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Does anyone know if that whacky Ted Nugent signed up to do the Trump inauguration entertainment?

After all, Teddy is normally so loving of right-wing stuff.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2016, 08:37 AM   #193
Seismosaurus
Philosopher

Why else would she think that Trump is against (or disrespectful of) immigrants, gays, or transgender people?
Most likely because she listened to him during the campaign.
Old 29th December 2016, 08:44 AM   #194
sunmaster14
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
Fake news? You mean Trump's own words?

Immigrants- All those mexicans rapists bringing drugs
gays - Trump said he'd appoint a Justice who'd overturn marriage equality.
You (and others) are conflating legal immigrants with illegal immigrants. To my knowledge, Trump has not denigrated legal immigrants. Nor has any prominent Republican politician.

Appointing conservative justices who take a dim view of Obergefell v Hodges is Republican orthodoxy. There isn't a single Republican candidate who wouldn't promise the same. If you have no other argument, then you are basically admitting that this isn't about Trump per se. It's about Republicans. As near as I can tell, Trump was the most pro-LGBTQ Republican candidate in the field.
Old 29th December 2016, 09:49 AM   #195
Peterson
Critical Thinker

You (and others) are conflating legal immigrants with illegal immigrants. To my knowledge, Trump has not denigrated legal immigrants. Nor has any prominent Republican politician.

Appointing conservative justices who take a dim view of Obergefell v Hodges is Republican orthodoxy. There isn't a single Republican candidate who wouldn't promise the same. If you have no other argument, then you are basically admitting that this isn't about Trump per se. It's about Republicans. As near as I can tell, Trump was the most pro-LGBTQ Republican candidate in the field.
Here is the quote in context. Where does he make any distinction between illegal and legal immigration?

Quote:
Our country is in serious trouble. We don't have victories anymore. We used to have victories, but we don't have them. When was the last time anybody saw us beating, let's say, China in a trade deal? They kill us. I beat China all the time. All the time.

(APPLAUSE)

AUDIENCE MEMBER: We want Trump. We want Trump.

TRUMP: When did we beat Japan at anything? They send their cars over by the millions, and what do we do? When was the last time you saw a Chevrolet in Tokyo? It doesn't exist, folks. They beat us all the time.

When do we beat Mexico at the border? They're laughing at us, at our stupidity. And now they are beating us economically. They are not our friend, believe me. But they're killing us economically.

The U.S. has become a dumping ground for everybody else's problems.

(APPLAUSE)

Thank you. It's true, and these are the best and the finest. When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're not sending you. They're not sending you. They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.

But I speak to border guards and they tell us what we're getting. And it only makes common sense. It only makes common sense. They're sending us not the right people.

It's coming from more than Mexico. It's coming from all over South and Latin America, and it's coming probably -- probably -- from the Middle East. But we don't know. Because we have no protection and we have no competence, we don't know what's happening. And it's got to stop and it's got to stop fast.

(APPLAUSE)

TRUMP: Islamic terrorism is eating up large portions of the Middle East. They've become rich. I'm in competition with them.

They just built a hotel in Syria. Can you believe this? They built a hotel. When I have to build a hotel, I pay interest. They don't have to pay interest, because they took the oil that, when we left Iraq, I said we should've taken.
Peterson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2016, 09:53 AM   #196
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

And it will be interesting to see if the people who object to Trump also object to working with Roman Polanski
Why would that be interesting? Their actions aren't really comparable.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2016, 09:58 AM   #197
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

This standard may not work out the way you hope.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2016, 10:00 AM   #198
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Why would that be interesting? Their actions aren't really comparable.
Both are serial sexual predators, one we know from their own words and testimony that supports his claims, the other from available evidence in a prosecution case.
Old 29th December 2016, 10:13 AM   #199
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Seconded. It's annoying how many will make excuses for Polanski, and it's annoying how many will make excuses for Trump.

Personally, I still wouldn't approve of someone making excuses for them both, but it would be more consistent.

EDIT: Didn't see the replies above till after posting, but yeah, what Darat said. Both have admitted to sexual assault. While Polanski's is more severe, Trumps are far greater in number. Neither should really be acceptable to those with concern for such thing, regardless of quibbles to be made.

Last edited by tyr_13; 29th December 2016 at 10:16 AM.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2016, 10:14 AM   #200
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Both are serial sexual predators, one we know from their own words and testimony that supports his claims, the other from available evidence in a prosecution case.
"Sexual predator" is an ill-defined word which is used to cover an incredible range of behavior. Your use of the term is a deliberate attempt to conflate very different behaviors, to confuse rather than enlighten.

Rapist, on the other hand, is a lot more specific. Polanski is a rapist. Trump is not.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics