ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 31st December 2016, 04:04 PM   #321
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
Got some proof of that? Or is Trump's word good enough because he can smell his own kind?

Who am I kidding? You won't provide any proof. Just a hand wave and some innuendo.

First time you are hearing about Juanita broaddrick?

Zoinks
Old 31st December 2016, 05:12 PM   #322
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
I don't want to address it because it's not actually relevant to the point I actually made, rather than your straw man. Whether her sales went up because of Trump or coincidentally, it's clear that she isn't being hurt by any boycott. That's the real point I was making....
Speaking of straw, did someone say she was?

The point was, "sales soared" appears to be a gross exaggeration.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2016, 05:14 PM   #323
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Translation: I'm right, you have no counter-argument, but you don't like what I said.
Translation, the comment you made was so ridiculous ....
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2016, 05:32 PM   #324
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Happy New Year to all, including to my many enemies and those who have fought me and lost so badly they just don't know what to do. Love!
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/...85071317676033

Not surprised no decent person would want to perform. There is no celebrating such a small minded jerk becoming president.
Old 31st December 2016, 06:22 PM   #325
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Yes. So why don't you?
Studying at Big Dog Polytechnic And School of Arguing Real Good, are you. Hyuh huh, I know you are but what am I? Snappy repartee.

And speaking of not learning.... insert irony meter.

Quote:
I don't want to address it because it's not actually relevant to the point I actually made, rather than your straw man. Whether her sales went up because of Trump or coincidentally, it's clear that she isn't being hurt by any boycott. That's the real point I was making.
No, the real point was "No, you're wrong fuzzy liberal! Why look, here's a gossip site that reports that she's gone to No. 1!" And when you check to verify, you find that Breitbart, Fox, WND, RT, etc... are saying sales "skyrocketed". The TMZ article was one of many; I was broadening the conversation to the non-news.

There is no boycott. One poster on a sparsely attended internet forum does not a boycott make. That's not an issue. What is an issue is when the eminence grise of the Politics sub-forum reports slanted news and then won't address the criticism of the slanted article. I actually provided you with FACTS.

The TMZ article you linked to is headlined:

What Backlash??
Trump Made Me No. 1
And the tag at the bottom is #lastlaugh

They put those words in her mouth. She never said "Trump Made Me Number One". The entire article is geared towards proving that it's Turdblossom DustTM that's giving her the sales boost, ignoring that the release had been No. 2 and rising, that it's a seasonal Christmas release, that her previous Christmas album also topped the "classical" charts for a number of weeks, and that there was no retail data to indicate that TrumpLove got her even a single sale.

You're reporting press releases as "news".

ETA: C O R R E C T I O N That's the headline of the companion piece on TMZ. Not of the article you linked to.

Quote:
Try it some time.
Maybe if they put in the whitewash rule. I'm up by about 35 points here in the beginning of the fourth quarter and have taken all my starters and players over 6'4" out, but you keep handing me back the ball in the paint.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 31st December 2016 at 07:08 PM.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2016, 06:25 PM   #326
Marcus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Is there any evidence of Jackie Evancho's music sales "skyrocketing" besides Breitbart and Fox News?

It wouldn't surprise me there are enough Trump supporters to boost her sales, but I'm skeptical of "skyrocketing sales".

I've never heard of her.

Oh wait, I found this on TMZ:Restocked where?

Billboard Classical Album Chart
Jackie is an amazing singer, I doubt any opera singer her age has amassed such a following. I also doubt she has any interest in politics, or that anything trump could do would have a major effect on such a talent.
Marcus is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2016, 06:27 PM   #327
Marcus
Master Poster

She may be a teenager now, but she has been a phenom since she was a child.
Marcus is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2016, 06:32 PM   #328
Marcus
Master Poster

listen to this and tell me she's not amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUIwkQPTI8c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJmpgQg0SMg#t=61.528571

Last edited by Marcus; 31st December 2016 at 06:36 PM.
Old 31st December 2016, 07:19 PM   #329
Marcus
Master Poster

Jackie has been packing international arenas for the entirety of her young career. She may not have the power of a Sarah Brightman, but her voice exudes a purity of tone that makes it hard not to get emotional whenever you hear her. Okay I'll shut up now, I know it's off topic.
Old 31st December 2016, 07:21 PM   #330
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Jackie is an amazing singer, I doubt any opera singer her age has amassed such a following. I also doubt she has any interest in politics, or that anything trump could do would have a major effect on such a talent.
You dont need an interest in politcs to know the incoming president is far from worthy of the job.
Old 31st December 2016, 07:27 PM   #331
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

She may be a teenager now, but she has been a phenom since she was a child.
Jackie has been packing international arenas for the entirety of her young career. She may not have the power of a Sarah Brightman, but her voice exudes a purity of tone that makes it hard not to get emotional whenever you hear her. Okay I'll shut up now, I know it's off topic.
I don't doubt your description of her talent, and I hope accepting to play at Trump's inauguration won't lose her any fans. (It sounds like it may not affect her niche market.)

It's the idea that playing at Trump's inauguration has anything whatsoever to do with making someone's music sales skyrocket. It's the fake news that was and is the issue here.
Old 31st December 2016, 07:53 PM   #332
Marcus
Master Poster

I don't doubt your description of her talent, and I hope accepting to play at Trump's inauguration won't lose her any fans. (It sounds like it may not affect her niche market.)

It's the idea that playing at Trump's inauguration has anything whatsoever to do with making someone's music sales skyrocket. It's the fake news that was and is the issue here.
I'm with you there, I really doubt that this inauguration gig will have nearly the impact of her epic performances in Rome, Naples, London, and New York. It's just something her handlers cooked up, in any case she would never refuse a gig with Andrew Bocelli, the two are magical together.

One of her first performances, on Americas Got Talent of all places, truly the voice of an angel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6GItDikjzE

Last edited by Marcus; 31st December 2016 at 08:00 PM.
Old 31st December 2016, 07:58 PM   #333
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post

First time you are hearing about Juanita broaddrick?

Zoinks
She singing at the Inauguration?

Zounds.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2016, 08:01 PM   #334
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
She singing at the Inauguration?

Zounds.
She'll be there, so I expect she will.
Old 31st December 2016, 08:03 PM   #335
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I'm with you there, I really doubt that this inauguration gig will have nearly the impact of her epic performances in Rome, Naples, London, and New York. It's just something her handlers cooked up, in any case she would never refuse a gig with Andrew Bocelli, the two are magical together.

One of her first performances, on Americas Got Talent of all places, truly the voice of an angel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6GItDikjzE
She needs a new agent, one that wouldn't book her on anything to do with Trump.
Old 31st December 2016, 08:06 PM   #336
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Because it plays into the feminist dogma that all men oppress all women, and that men who don't rape still benefit from rape because it keeps women in line.
Yes I can see that, but even if rape was acknowledged to be essentially a sexual act, that argument (unsound as it is) could still be advanced. I'm still slightly baffled by the insistence that rape is not sexually motivated, but obviously it is the people who insist on that view whom I should approach for an explanation of it. Thanks anyway for your response.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2016, 08:38 PM   #337
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I love how everything has to be a story, with results that prove something. Some lady can't just sing at the inauguration, she has to triumphantly sail to stellar success and become greater than all others, to prove that...what? That the performers that declined are being punished? That being nice to Trump results in divine favor? That the market instantly rewards those who don't openly disagree with a certain politician or party or set of political views?

I think it's another result of the new clickbait era. "Unknown Performer Agrees To Sing At Inauguration: You Won't Believe What Happens Next!" "Instant Karma For Nasty Artists!" "Top Ten Career-Killing Mistakes Of Your Favorite Child Stars!" Reality doesn't matter because everything must be twisted to fit the desired narrative. This lady who sings must either become the greatest musical star in history, or she must fail so miserably she drowns in an ocean of the audience's vomit, because people adore or despise Trump and she is become his instrument. It's nonsense. Reality is sufficient, we don't need to manufacture drama.
Old 31st December 2016, 08:46 PM   #338
Marcus
Master Poster

Jackie trivia (so sue me, there is no Jackie thread)
Youngest to debut in top 10 (age 10)
Youngest to go Platinum (age 10)
Second youngest to have 3 top ten albums (age 12)
72 consecutive weeks on Billboard (2014)
6 consecutive albums #1 on Billboard (2015)
Old 31st December 2016, 08:52 PM   #339
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Jackie trivia (so sue me, there is no Jackie thread)
Youngest to debut in top 10 (age 10)
Youngest to go Platinum (age 10)
Second youngest to have 3 top ten albums (age 12)
72 consecutive weeks on Billboard (2014)
6 consecutive albums #1 on Billboard (2015)
Missed out on "Blander than Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus".

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2016, 09:04 PM   #340
Marcus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Missed out on "Blander than Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus".
Blasphemy! Go to your room!
Old 31st December 2016, 09:06 PM   #341
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Blasphemy! Go to your room!
Oh my room? Thank you master.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 31st December 2016, 09:07 PM   #342
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Translation, the comment you made was so ridiculous ....
The fact that I'm more familiar feminist theory than you amuses me to no end.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2016, 09:14 PM   #343
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
There is no boycott. One poster on a sparsely attended internet forum does not a boycott make. That's not an issue.
That's my point, genius. He was calling for a boycott, and I'm saying it's not going to pan out the way he wants. A total lack of any boycott falls pretty squarely under that heading, doesn't it?

You're really slow on the uptake here.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2016, 09:26 PM   #344
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

If Nurse Ratched had won, we would no doubt have been subjected to Cher, Madonna, and Miley Cyrus -- try not to vomit from that sickening image.

Thankfully, instead we'll be entertained by this lovely and talented young woman:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jackie.jpg (8.7 KB, 8 views)
"You could put half of Trump’s supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right? The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamophobic — you name it. Some of those folks are irredeemable.”
Crooked Hillary Clinton (September 9, 2016)

Last edited by Slings and Arrows; 31st December 2016 at 09:28 PM.
Slings and Arrows is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2016, 09:30 PM   #345
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Really, I think Trump supporters should simply skip the growing embarrassment of the Inauguration and steel themselves for more serious embarrassments as Trump takes "control".

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 31st December 2016, 10:26 PM   #346
trustbutverify
Philosopher

She's not amazing.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2016, 10:41 PM   #347
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

That's my point, genius. He was calling for a boycott, and I'm saying it's not going to pan out the way he wants. A total lack of any boycott falls pretty squarely under that heading, doesn't it?

You're really slow on the uptake here.
Sez the guy getting his news from TMZ.

Hilited: How to tell when the ol' perfesser is on the ropes. He resorts to name-calling.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2016, 10:51 PM   #348
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Sez the guy getting his news from TMZ.

Hilited: How to tell when the ol' perfesser is on the ropes. He resorts to name-calling.
In an attempt to refute me, you actually state my point. That's what you consider having me on the ropes?

Old 31st December 2016, 11:40 PM   #349
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

In an attempt to refute me, you actually state my point. That's what you consider having me on the ropes?

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...89896f40fe.jpg
I never disagreed with the idea that THERE IS NO BOYCOTT. Essentially, you proudly disproved a straw man, offered in the form of musings, by a single person.

But you didn't disprove it. You offered up dicey evidence in the form of "news" from a gossip site.

Your point was that the boycott wasn't working. There is no boycott. So the Ziggurat, Breitbart, RT, TMZ contention is sort of the ultimate straw man.

Further, the proof that it isn't working was a right-wing spin on Jackie's PR people commenting how well her album sales were doing. That was disproven. You rely on false news and then declare victory.

Remember the old one about the beatnik (later a hippie) who was sitting on a bench in Central Park snapping his fingers as he waved his hands about his head?

"Why are you doing that?"
"It's to keep the tigers away, man."
"There are no tigers in New York City."
"See, it's working."

Old 31st December 2016, 11:44 PM   #350
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Reality is sufficient, we don't need to manufacture drama.

No, we don't need to...
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2017, 02:34 PM   #351
zorro99
Muse

If I were her mom, I wouldn't let Trump anywhere near Evancho. He might try to molest her.
Old 1st January 2017, 03:03 PM   #352
mifune
Scholar

And? If the women are OK with that, it's not sexual assault. So, were they OK with it? According to him, yes. He might be lying, but you don't know. And if he's lying, he could be lying about the whole thing, not just whether they were OK with it.

And that testimony is proof?

No, it's skepticism. Which you have forgotten how to do.
Wrong. If he told the truth, then it's not sexual assault. It's only sexual assault if he lied in one particular way, and not in another. So, did he lie in that particular way? Maybe. But you don't know. Nor do you have any evidence. And you can't rely on the fact that he's a liar and so we should take all his statements to be lies, because it's only one possible lie and not the other possible lie which gives you the result you want. If you allow that he might be telling the truth, then you have to allow that he might be telling the truth about all of it.

Your position is, in short, illogical.

It's amazing to me to see conservative rationalists embrace sophism/post-modernism like this.

After all all knowledge is ultimately unknowable right? Who the hell knows what is really truth?
mifune is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2017, 04:20 PM   #353
phiwum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
If I were her mom, I wouldn't let Trump anywhere near Evancho. He might try to molest her.
Oh, give it a rest.

Trump is a dreadful approximation to a human being, but he's not going to molest a musician at his inauguration.
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2017, 04:31 PM   #354
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Oh, give it a rest.

Trump is a dreadful approximation to a human being, but he's not going to molest a musician at his inauguration.
Probably not, but Donald Trump is an unregistered sex offender who deserves whatever social stigma that incurs, at the very least.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2017, 04:42 PM   #355
Marcus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
This assumes that Trump is stupid. It's dangerous to underestimate the guy.
Old 1st January 2017, 04:43 PM   #356
phiwum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Probably not, but Donald Trump is an unregistered sex offender who deserves whatever social stigma that incurs, at the very least.
Donald Trump is a dreadful person, but legally speaking, he has not been deemed a sex offender.

Let's talk about what a terrible person he is (self-admittedly) and let's not pretend that there are legal judgments regarding the same claims.
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2017, 04:44 PM   #357
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Average.

She has a good voice but singing Arias isn't being an Opera Singer.
Singing and performing Operas makes you an Opera Singer.

Alice Coote is very good, probably the best Mezzo-Soprano singing at the moment.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 1st January 2017 at 04:57 PM.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2017, 05:01 PM   #358
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Donald Trump is a dreadful person, but legally speaking, he has not been deemed a sex offender.
Legally, of course not (yet), but I certainly believe his confession, and not just because I already considered him despicable. I believe his confession because it fits his Narcissistic Personality Disorder and his constant need for reinforcement that he is a "star."
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2017, 05:18 PM   #359
Marcus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Average.

She has a good voice but singing Arias isn't being an Opera Singer.
Singing and performing Operas makes you an Opera Singer.

Alice Coote is very good, probably the best Mezzo-Soprano singing at the moment.

I AGREE

I AGREE
I don't agree about her being average, but you're right, I shouldn't have called her an opera singer, she's a classical/ classical crossover singer. She went straight to individual performances , she doesn't participate in operas. Her duets with prominent opera talents are quite magical though.
Old 1st January 2017, 05:27 PM   #360
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

I don't agree about her being average, but you're right, I shouldn't have called her an opera singer, she's a classical/ classical crossover singer. She went straight to individual performances , she doesn't participate in operas. Her duets with prominent opera talents are quite magical though.
Which Opera Talents?
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics