ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th January 2017, 08:41 AM   #1
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Trump Press Conference

Not sure what time it's supposed to happen but it's supposed to be today.

Do you think it will actually be held?

It was originally supposed to be about his finances, how pissed will he be when all the questions are about the 'dossier'?

I think it's 50/50 that Trump will come up with an excuse to cancel.

If it does happen he is going to get really pissed very quickly and possibly just storm out when everyone keeps asking about the dossier.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 08:53 AM   #2
Dumb All Over
A Little Ugly on the Side

Location: They call it the Earth (which is a dumb kinda name)
I think it will actually be held. He won't cancel. He won't be pissed. He loves the limelight.
The Three Word Story Pledge of Allegiance- "I Hereby swear upon Engelbert's grave that I will gallop, not stride run, not walk posting three words on Shemp's honor, honoring: bananas, dwarfs, clarinets, [the 7th naughty forum word], haggis, Batman, nuns, wombats until such time as I'm sober. Or dead."
"Some people have a way with words, other people...Um...Oh...Uh, not have way." -Steve Martin
Dumb All Over is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 08:59 AM   #3
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

But he will spend a sleepless night tweeting about the unfair questions and reporting
Old 11th January 2017, 09:20 AM   #4
Dumb All Over

Not canceled - check.
The Three Word Story Pledge of Allegiance- "I Hereby swear upon Engelbert's grave that I will gallop, not stride run, not walk posting three words on Shemp's honor, honoring: bananas, dwarfs, clarinets, [the 7th naughty forum word], haggis, Batman, nuns, wombats until such time as I'm sober. Or dead."
"Some people have a way with words, other people...Um...Oh...Uh, not have way." -Steve Martin
Dumb All Over is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 09:24 AM   #5
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

What a chaotic rambling mess.
Old 11th January 2017, 09:27 AM   #6
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
But he will spend a sleepless night tweeting about the unfair questions and reporting
Sad.

Argumemnon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 09:34 AM   #7
Spindrift

He's still running against Hillary.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 09:37 AM   #8
Joe Random
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post

Came here now to post this exact same thing.
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 09:38 AM   #9
Argumemnon
World Maker

Seems like Hillary supporters aren't the only people who can't accept that it's over.

Argumemnon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 09:40 AM   #10
imodium
Thinker

admits russia behind hack, blames dnc(???), says its a good thing if putin wanted him to win, blames american intelligence for leaking information, calls it fake news, repeats fake news alot, claims americans biggest concern is pharma.
imodium is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 09:41 AM   #11
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by imodium View Post
admits russia behind hack, blames dnc(???), says its a good thing if putin wanted him to win, blames american intelligence for leaking information, calls it fake news, repeats fake news alot, claims americans biggest concern is pharma.

Old 11th January 2017, 09:41 AM   #12
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Seems like Hillary supporters aren't the only people who can't accept that it's over.
He won so badly, he doesn't know what to do.
WilliamSeger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 09:43 AM   #13
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

I was hoping that Trump would stop acting like the he is still running for election and talk coherently. But alas, Trump is still talking like he is running for president and speaking to his supporters.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 09:44 AM   #14
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

It's not over. It has only just begun. It is not just a US concern, the whole world is concerned.

Hans
Old 11th January 2017, 09:49 AM   #15
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

He enjoyed the attention and adulation he got during the campaign. It's like the star athlete in high school who never accomplishes anything afterward and spends his life reliving his "glory days". I wouldn't be surprised if he stays in campaign mode for his entire term, however long that is. Lots of rallies and speeches, very little time spent on the actual responsibilities of President.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 09:53 AM   #16
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Well, at least he is giving the appearance of pretending to divulge his more obvious conflicts of interest. Of course, even on the surface, the "complete separation" is laughable when two-thirds of the people controlling the trust are closely related to him.
Old 11th January 2017, 10:10 AM   #17
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Wow. The next 4 years won't be lacking for entertainment.

Odin help the USA.
Old 11th January 2017, 10:17 AM   #18
Delphic Oracle
Graduate Poster

He keeps repeating that he's very upset with the reports being leaked, insisting they are classified.

He's mixing up the 35 pages that have been circulating for over a month with the 2 page summary that is classified.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 10:17 AM   #19
Dumb All Over

Didn't get pissed - check.
Old 11th January 2017, 10:18 AM   #20
Dumb All Over

Didn't storm out - check.
Old 11th January 2017, 10:21 AM   #21
Dumb All Over

Some things deserve repeating-
Not sure what time it's supposed to happen but it's supposed to be today.

Do you think it will actually be held?

It was originally supposed to be about his finances, how pissed will he be when all the questions are about the 'dossier'?

I think it's 50/50 that Trump will come up with an excuse to cancel.

If it does happen he is going to get really pissed very quickly and possibly just storm out when everyone keeps asking about the dossier.
Originally Posted by Dumb All Over View Post
Not canceled - check.
Didn't storm out - check.
Spindrift, you don't seem to have a good read on this guy.
Old 11th January 2017, 10:23 AM   #22
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

But the real question is, did he get pissed on.
Old 11th January 2017, 10:25 AM   #23
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

He didn't enter the stage with his jacket on backwards or throw up all over himself during the press conference either, like I figured he might. Well done, Trump.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 10:27 AM   #24
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

As much as the elect gives me the creeps, I think his stance towards Russia is simply plain, responsible realpolitik: Russia exists, Russia has a strong interest to spy on the USA, as has everybody else, and so nobody can be surprised that Russia does hack the USA.
Would anybody disagree when I assert that of course the USA is spying on and hacking Russia? Of course you do! The USA spies and hacks her western allies!
And yet, heads of governments must negotiate with one another, so it is smart to have a good, if perhaps cool, relationship even with competitors.

What worries me more is that he doesn't apply the same standards to China.
Old 11th January 2017, 10:35 AM   #25
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Did he manage a single coherent, grammatically correct sentence?
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 10:37 AM   #26
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
As much as the elect gives me the creeps, I think his stance towards Russia is simply plain, responsible realpolitik: Russia exists, Russia has a strong interest to spy on the USA, as has everybody else, and so nobody can be surprised that Russia does hack the USA.
Would anybody disagree when I assert that of course the USA is spying on and hacking Russia? Of course you do! The USA spies and hacks her western allies!
And yet, heads of governments must negotiate with one another, so it is smart to have a good, if perhaps cool, relationship even with competitors.

What worries me more is that he doesn't apply the same standards to China.
I'm more worried that he is actively letting Russia get away with their shenanigans, as long as they benefit him personally, up to and including cooperating with their agents.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 10:39 AM   #27
logger
Suspended

I've never seen a press conference like that, people around the country have a bit more kick in their step after listening to that. The left is in a complete tail spin.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 10:40 AM   #28
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
But the real question is, did he get pissed on.
"What is Urinetown?
Urinetown's a tool
An instrument of power
To enforce my iron rule."
Old 11th January 2017, 10:41 AM   #29
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post

Grammatical correctness is vital in the application of spin......

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 10:42 AM   #30
Spindrift

Yes, he disappointed me. His handlers will have to review with him what gets big ratings.
Old 11th January 2017, 10:43 AM   #31
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
I'm more worried that he is actively letting Russia get away with their shenanigans, as long as they benefit him personally, up to and including cooperating with their agents.
That is CTist thinking.

It is smart to not escalate this kind of conflict. Trump recommends fixing IT system as to make hacking much harder. Is that bad advice? What better measures against Russia (and China, and Turkey, and France, and Iran...) spying on the USA?
Would you recommend that Russia (China, Germany, Turkey) take the same measures when they discover the USA are hacking them? Or do you deny that the USA is hacking them?
Old 11th January 2017, 10:44 AM   #32
Spindrift

Originally Posted by logger View Post
I've never seen a press conference like that, people around the country have a bit more kick in their step after listening to that. The left is in a complete tail spin.
Did you watch the same press conference? He was his usual blathering, bombastic self. What exactly did he say that is giving people 'a bit more kick in their step'?
Old 11th January 2017, 10:46 AM   #33
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Perhaps, "Believe me."?
Old 11th January 2017, 10:47 AM   #34
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Did you watch the same press conference? He was his usual blathering, bombastic self. What exactly did he say that is giving people 'a bit more kick in their step'?
If you reverse the order of those two sentences, you'll have the answer to the question you asked in the second.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 10:49 AM   #35
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

This is also being discussed in the US officially blames Russia thread.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 10:50 AM   #36
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
What a chaotic rambling mess.
Really? My impression was, what blatantly superlative lying.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 10:52 AM   #37
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

I don't think so. This is the genuine pathologic narcissist Trump. It's how he reacts to any and all criticism.
Old 11th January 2017, 10:52 AM   #38
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
If you reverse the order of those two sentences, you'll have the answer to the question you asked in the second.
I don't know where I hear this (If it was from someone on this board, I apologize for the plagiarism), the distinguishing characteristic of a Trump support appears to be how Trump says something, not what was actually said. I can't say I understand why that would be true, but it certainly appears to fit with my experiences. How else can he complete contradict himself between two sentences and still be heralded for it?
Old 11th January 2017, 10:53 AM   #39
Delphic Oracle
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
That is CTist thinking.

It is smart to not escalate this kind of conflict. Trump recommends fixing IT system as to make hacking much harder. Is that bad advice? What better measures against Russia (and China, and Turkey, and France, and Iran...) spying on the USA?
Would you recommend that Russia (China, Germany, Turkey) take the same measures when they discover the USA are hacking them? Or do you deny that the USA is hacking them?
Yeah, but his proposed solution makes one wonder if he even understands the problem.

The DNC emails were a leak and the Podesta emails were a case of a user being tricked into giving away login credentials. Neither of those problems can be addressed by having a few IT guys make sure the latest security patches are all applied or tweaking their permissions protocol.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 10:53 AM   #40
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Well, at least he is giving the appearance of pretending to divulge his more obvious conflicts of interest. Of course, even on the surface, the "complete separation" is laughable when two-thirds of the people controlling the trust are closely related to him.
Did you miss the sentence he threw in there that he doesn't have to do any divesting.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics