ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th January 2017, 01:24 PM   #81
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Hilarious, in fact.

I wonder which group'll get the shift key, then.
Capitalists
Spindrift is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 01:25 PM   #82
Delphic Oracle
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by sunmaster14 View Post
I think it's supposed to be 'ctrl-left". Which is clever in my opinion.

Well, in the case of the term "tea-bagger," the juvenile name-calling was adopted by the most prominent people on the left, including President Obama himself. I don't think labeling a movement as either alt-right or ctrl-left is as juvenile as that.
I am not Obama and I do not use the term tea-bagger, so I get to come up with my own opinions.

Your argument also basically boils down to "but he started it!" which is just further example of the same thing I was talking about.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 01:25 PM   #83
Spindrift

Originally Posted by Dumb All Over View Post
The delete key is going to soon be applied to the Obama administration.
And the End key to the United States.
Spindrift is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 01:25 PM   #84
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Well, in the case of the term "tea-bagger," the juvenile name-calling was adopted by the most prominent people on the left, including President Obama himself. I don't think labeling a movement as either alt-right or ctrl-left is as juvenile as that.
Ummm ...

For several weeks the early Tea Baggers were proudly and loudly calling themselves Tea Baggers. I know, because I attended an early Tea Bag Party Rally.

After it was repeatedly pointed out to to these stupid, idiotic, lying Republicans over the course of these several weeks just what a Tea Bag Party actually is, then they changed the name to 'Tea Party'.
On 04 JAN 2017 Paul Bethke said that he is more powerful than his god: "... Even Yahweh has up to this day failed to accomplish his will on earth, so I will take his failure and bring about success. So do carry on in your floundering." http://www.internationalskeptics.com...5#post11654315

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 01:28 PM   #85
sunmaster14
Suspended

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
Adopted by others because that's what the teabaggers called themselves.
No, it's not. Just because one person in a crowd may have referenced it on camera, that doesn't justify using the term to malign and mock an entire movement. I know lots of people who are active in the Tea Party, and none of them called themselves teabaggers. All of them, in fact, thought it was a pretty stupid insult from liberals. It was useful to some extent. You could tell immediately which liberals were beyond the reach of rational discourse.
sunmaster14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 01:29 PM   #86
Stacko
Philosopher

And the End key to the United States accountability.
Don't get overly dramatic.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 01:29 PM   #87
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Capitalists
*slow clap* Well played, sir. Well played indeed.
Old 11th January 2017, 01:30 PM   #88
Dumb All Over
A Little Ugly on the Side

Location: They call it the Earth (which is a dumb kinda name)
Liberals are continuing to be influenced by the numb lock key.
The Three Word Story Pledge of Allegiance-- "I Hereby swear upon Engelbert's grave that I will gallop, not stride run, not walk posting three words on Shemp's honor, honoring: bananas, dwarfs, clarinets, [the 7th naughty word], haggis, Batman, nuns, wombats until such time as I'm sober. Or dead."
"Some people have a way with words, other people...Um...Oh...Uh, not have way." --Steve Martin
Dumb All Over is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 01:32 PM   #89
sunmaster14
Suspended

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Ummm ...

For several weeks the early Tea Baggers were proudly and loudly calling themselves Tea Baggers. I know, because I attended an early Tea Bag Party Rally.

After it was repeatedly pointed out to to these stupid, idiotic, lying Republicans over the course of these several weeks just what a Tea Bag Party actually is, then they changed the name to 'Tea Party'.
Cool story bro'.
sunmaster14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 01:33 PM   #90
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Ummm ...

Utter junk.

The modern Tea Party was founded as a 9/11 skeptics publicity stunt IIRC by Barbara Honegger, and only years later that - that - label was co-opted by untamed republicans.
Old 11th January 2017, 01:33 PM   #91
Spindrift

No, it's not. Just because one person in a crowd may have referenced it on camera, that doesn't justify using the term to malign and mock an entire movement. I know lots of people who are active in the Tea Party, and none of them called themselves teabaggers. All of them, in fact, thought it was a pretty stupid insult from liberals. It was useful to some extent. You could tell immediately which liberals were beyond the reach of rational discourse.
You think they would admit calling themselves teabaggers after they found out what it means? More re-writing history. But you are correct it doesn't justify using the term to malign and mock an entire movement. The movement itself is enough reason for that.
Old 11th January 2017, 01:35 PM   #92
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
I'm glad that he did not take a question from CNN. I hate the bullying that came with it, but there is no legal requirement.
Did you forget the winkie emoji?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 01:36 PM   #93
mgidm86
Master Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I'd be more worried about this if it marked a substantial departure from the policy of the past 8 years.
Too true. Acting like buffoons with things like "reset buttons" and generally kissing our enemies butts has become standard procedure.

Quote:
Argumemnon:
Well, you see... this thing... I'm talking about Trump. He's like... and you have to understand, he's the President-Elect, right? So once he starts... and I mean when he begins to talk, he's got a good... you know, I think he's not such a bad talker and... well, you and I can disagree, but I think so, don't you?
This actually sounds like Obama's stammering, except you'd have to throw in a bunch of "ummms" and "uhhhs" and long pauses.

But to be fair, Trump is the worst public speaker that I can think of off the top of my head. The cringe factor is high with this one. But Obama isn't good either...too preachy.

I hope he does a decent job. I still shake my head at the insane reaction from some people about him winning the election.

The media just won't let it go. I don't blame him for telling CNN to piss off. I see their daily headlines - they had an obvious agenda before the election and they still do. They (Donna Brazile) even got caught giving Hillary debate questions. Kinda hard not to be upset about that kind of thing.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/daredevil-dave-2-motorcycle/id1013225596?mt=
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 01:37 PM   #94
Crossbow

Cool story bro'.
It is always nice to know just how much a person values the truth.
On 04 JAN 2017 Paul Bethke said that he is more powerful than his god: "... Even Yahweh has up to this day failed to accomplish his will on earth, so I will take his failure and bring about success. So do carry on in your floundering." http://www.internationalskeptics.com...5#post11654315

Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 01:40 PM   #95
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
The irony, it burns!
And on the 13th floor no less. (DNC was on 6th floor, I'm only talking about the # 13.)
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 01:44 PM   #96
Megaweapon
New Blood

Edited by zooterkin:  <SNIP>
Edited for rule 0 and rule 12.

Last edited by zooterkin; 14th January 2017 at 05:00 AM.
Megaweapon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 01:44 PM   #97
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Speculation --
Sure, Russia did some hacking, of both the Democrat and Republican info.
They used the anti-D stuff to influence the election against Hillary.
They are holding on to the anti-R stuff until DT is actually President, then they can use it as blackmail to influence him directly.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 01:47 PM   #98
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
The law firm that spoke at the conference and set up the not-at-all-blind trust?

Chambers & Partners Names Morgan Lewis as Russia Law Firm of the Year

A keep checking for indications that it's a joke site. Pretty sure it's legit.

So, Sheri Dillion of the law firm Morgan Lewis is involved in Trump's faux divestment, and Morgan Lewis has offices in Moscow and Morgan Lewis was honored last year:
Quote:
Morgan Lewis has been recognized by Chambers & Partners’ 2016 Chambers Europe guide as Russia Law Firm of the Year. The prestigious honor was announced at the publication’s recent annual awards dinner in London, where firms from 24 countries were recognized.
Old 11th January 2017, 01:50 PM   #99
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
As much as the elect gives me the creeps, I think his stance towards Russia is simply plain, responsible realpolitik: Russia exists, Russia has a strong interest to spy on the USA, as has everybody else, and so nobody can be surprised that Russia does hack the USA.
And we can appease them so effectively by stopping all this useless protesting about their invading their neighbors.

Bets on what is the first country Trump gives to Putin?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 01:52 PM   #100
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

And Ctrl-P to Trump's shenanigans.
Old 11th January 2017, 01:54 PM   #101
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
And we can appease them so effectively by stopping all this useless protesting about their invading their neighbors.

Bets on what is the first country Trump gives to Putin?
You might want to add, "after Ukraine" to make it a bit more of a challenge.
Old 11th January 2017, 01:55 PM   #102
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

As much as the elect gives me the creeps, I think his stance towards Russia is simply plain, responsible realpolitik: Russia exists, Russia has a strong interest to spy on the USA, as has everybody else, and so nobody can be surprised that Russia does hack the USA.
Would anybody disagree when I assert that of course the USA is spying on and hacking Russia? Of course you do! The USA spies and hacks her western allies!
And yet, heads of governments must negotiate with one another, so it is smart to have a good, if perhaps cool, relationship even with competitors.

What worries me more is that he doesn't apply the same standards to China.

The issue isn't the existence of spying by any particular group on any other group, it's this:

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
They are holding on to the anti-R stuff until DT is actually President, then they can use it as blackmail to influence him directly.

By not being honest about what Russia may have on him, he leaves himself vulnerable to such attacks. And that's a problem, for any government official.

It's particularly a problem for Trump, because in a case of "Good for Trump vs. Good for the US", does anyone really doubt how he'd flip?

The only way to defuse blackmail is to suck it up and admit the information is out there. But to do that, he'd have to be willing to take one for the team, which he is utterly unwilling to do, ever.
Old 11th January 2017, 01:56 PM   #103
Spindrift

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
You might want to add, "after Ukraine" to make it a bit more of a challenge.
Ah, Belarus, we are going to miss you.
Old 11th January 2017, 02:07 PM   #104
Prometheus
Acolyte of Víđarr

So how much of the old Soviet Union will Putin reconstitute with Trump's help?
Don't be offended. I'm not calling you a serial killer. -- Ron Tomkins.
Prometheus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 02:07 PM   #105
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Ah, Belarus, we are going to miss you.
Doubtful. Lukashenko makes Trump look Russophobic.
Old 11th January 2017, 02:08 PM   #106
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Did you forget the winkie emoji?
No. If I were president, I wod have a strict no press policy for my administration.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 02:08 PM   #107
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
So how much of the old Soviet Union will Putin reconstitute with Trump's help?
I don't get this. Why would Putin want the USSR back? He and his cronies have made too much money from capitalism.

Now, the Russian Empire, on the other hand...
Old 11th January 2017, 02:09 PM   #108
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I'm worried about Alec Baldwin. How is it possible to parody someone who is their own self-parody?
Don't worry, he'll have plenty of material. I love what Baldwin and the writers do with the Trump who is not in public view. They give an interpretation of how he acts alone in his office, of when meeting privately with Kellyanne, Mitt, Pence, Putin etc. That's without urine jokes, a few of which might sneak their way into the script.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 02:12 PM   #109
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
The only way to defuse blackmail is to suck it up and admit the information is out there. But to do that, he'd have to be willing to take one for the team, which he is utterly unwilling to do, ever.
What is this "team" you speak of?
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 02:13 PM   #110
Prometheus
Acolyte of Víđarr

I don't get this. Why would Putin want the USSR back? He and his cronies have made too much money from capitalism.

Now, the Russian Empire, on the other hand...
Fair enough. I was referring only to the territory, rather than the regime.
Don't be offended. I'm not calling you a serial killer. -- Ron Tomkins.
Prometheus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 02:13 PM   #111
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I'm thinking Belarus may be one of the few places that we would like Russia to take control over. Moscow level corruption and crime would be a major improvement.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 02:14 PM   #112
Spindrift

How about Estonia?
Old 11th January 2017, 02:18 PM   #113
WilliamSeger
Graduate Poster

Would anybody disagree when I assert that of course the USA is spying on and hacking Russia? Of course you do! The USA spies and hacks her western allies!
And yet, heads of governments must negotiate with one another, so it is smart to have a good, if perhaps cool, relationship even with competitors.

What worries me more is that he doesn't apply the same standards to China.
What's problematic is Russia using hacked info to influence an election. Interfering with western democracies is on Putin's agenda.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 02:22 PM   #114
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Speculation --
More like they can use it to end his presidency when it suits them.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 02:29 PM   #115
willim
Scholar

Originally Posted by logger View Post
I've never seen a press conference like that, people around the country have a bit more kick in their step after listening to that. The left is in a complete tail spin.
Seeing Trump hand CNN's Jim Acosta his own tail section was worth the price of admission alone!

The majority of the reactions to the press conference posted here are also telling, as well as highly entertaining.
willim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 02:33 PM   #116
phiwum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
The DNC emails were a leak...
I have missed this bit. When did this come out?
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 02:34 PM   #117
Minoosh
Philosopher

Speculation --
Maybe hiring prostitutes to pee is the best they've got. In which case blackmail will be ineffective. Unless there's something even more embarrassing. Not that Trump is capable of embarrassment.

I didn't see the press conference so this is a little OT, maybe should go in other thread, but: The 35-page document mentioned that Trump has supposedly resisted sweetheart details proposed by Russia as a way to "cultivate" him. That actually looks good for him. The Russians do supposedly have his personal peccadilloes to go on, but unless his encounters with prostitutes number in the hundreds, that might just come down to "boys will be boys" or "it was locker room talk, I did not have sex with those women."

Who thinks we've seen the worst thing Russia (or any other entity) has on him?
Old 11th January 2017, 02:34 PM   #118
Crossbow

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Utter junk.

The modern Tea Party was founded as a 9/11 skeptics publicity stunt IIRC by Barbara Honegger, and only years later that - that - label was co-opted by untamed republicans.
What in the hell are you talking about?

I was at that Tea Bagger Rally so I know what happened.

Old 11th January 2017, 02:37 PM   #119
phiwum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Ah, but there may be a subtlety going on here. Trump claims to have no loans from Russia, not no loans from Russians. The man we are accustomed to calling stupid may be choosing his words carefully.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2017, 02:40 PM   #120
phiwum
Philosopher

Well, in the case of the term "tea-bagger," the juvenile name-calling was adopted by the most prominent people on the left, including President Obama himself.
Oh? Citation?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics