IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 28th February 2012, 10:19 AM   #1
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Are cat parasites eating your brain?

According to this Atlantic magazine article, an evolutionary biologist is gaining support for his long-held theory that housecats are transmitting toxoplasmosis parasites to human brains, and that the parasites are having broader and more serious effects than has been generally recognized, including schizophrenia and suicide. Any thoughts?

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...ngle_page=true
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2012, 10:19 AM   #2
crimresearch
Alumbrado

I'll second the motion.
crimresearch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2012, 10:35 AM   #3
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

If true, it's still better than being infected with the T-virus.
Old 28th February 2012, 10:37 AM   #4
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
According to this Atlantic magazine article, an evolutionary biologist is gaining support for his long-held theory that housecats are transmitting toxoplasmosis parasites to human brains, and that the parasites are having broader and more serious effects than has been generally recognized, including schizophrenia and suicide. Any thoughts?

Probably not. And I'll be reporting your to my feline overlord when he's awoken from his late afternoon/pre-first dinner nap.
Previous thread.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2012, 10:38 AM   #5
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

So the question is, do the crazy cat ladies get lots of cats because they're crazy, or are they crazy because of all the cats?

Woo's razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by aliens.
aggle-rithm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2012, 10:39 AM   #6
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

OK, this quote set off every alarm my brain has to offer:

Quote:
Starting in the early 1990s, he began to suspect that a single-celled parasite in the protozoan family was subtly manipulating his personality, causing him to behave in strange, often self-destructive ways. And if it was messing with his mind, he reasoned, it was probably doing the same to others.
Maybe he needs to don a tinfoil hat.

Woo's razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by aliens.
aggle-rithm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2012, 10:48 AM   #7
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

Originally Posted by aggle-rithm View Post

That's my knee-jerk reaction. However, since parasites are known to induce weird, zombie-like behavior in hosts, then maybe...

...I should get more cats. Yes, that's what I'll do, right away.

Old 28th February 2012, 10:58 AM   #8
Spyke
Critical Thinker

Beware the cats!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zombie-cat wants brains.jpg (92.6 KB, 10 views)
Old 28th February 2012, 11:16 AM   #9
NotJesus
Unsaviory

It's true. I had a cat for many years. Then I went crazy and killed myself.
NotJesus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2012, 12:39 PM   #10
Corsair 115
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NotJesus View Post
It's true. I had a cat for many years. Then I went crazy and killed myself.

You got better, apparently.
Corsair 115 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th February 2012, 12:46 AM   #11
Helen
Implicitly explicit

I have congenital toxoplasmosis, and I am boringly sane and normal. I've never killed myself, not even once, and I have never owned any designer clothing, nor will I ever. And in all my years of driving, I have never even come close to causing any accidents.

But just in case, I always take my best friend Spiny Norman the hedgehog (dressed in this really cute Armani hedgehog suit I bought him) with me when I am driving, and let him take the wheel if I am beginning to feel inattentive.
Helen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th February 2012, 03:55 AM   #12
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

It's worth pointing out that the idea that t. gondii has behavioral affects in humans is different from the specific claim that it's linked to schizophrenia.

The former is supported by evidence (see here, for instance: http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2334/9/72), the latter, I'm not clear upon and have only heard that claim from the article linked in the OP, so thus far I don't really have an opinion one way or the other.

(From that linked paper):
Quote:
We confirmed, using for the first time a prospective cohort study design, increased risk of traffic accidents in Toxoplasma-infected subjects and demonstrated a strong protective effect of RhD positivity against the risk of traffic accidents posed by latent toxoplasmosis. Our results show that RhD-negative subjects with high titers of anti-Toxoplasma antibodies had a probability of a traffic accident of about 16.7%, i.e. a more than six times higher rate than Toxoplasma-free or RhD-positive subjects.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th February 2012, 09:10 AM   #13
Mark6
Philosopher

Originally Posted by aggle-rithm View Post

Too late! The mind-controlling parasite is already inside!
Old 2nd March 2012, 09:10 AM   #14
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Mark6 View Post
At least the tinfoil would prevent it receiving instructions from the Illuminati.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2012, 09:59 AM   #15
Complexity
Philosopher

Who cares? Cats are well worth the price.
Complexity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2012, 12:10 PM   #16
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

Originally Posted by Mark6 View Post
The tinfoil hat is to keep the parasites from getting OUT, and getting on me.

I'd wear one myself, but...you know.

Old 2nd March 2012, 12:11 PM   #17
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

Originally Posted by Complexity View Post
Would you like four of them?

Old 2nd March 2012, 01:05 PM   #18
IdiotWhacker
Thinker

Is there other illnesses besides schizophrenia and suicide extreme depression?
Old 2nd March 2012, 01:07 PM   #19
NoahFence
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post

Actually, those parasites make you smarter.

More kittehs please!
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2012, 01:40 PM   #20
m-n-m
Scholar

Originally Posted by catsmate1 View Post
Probably not. And I'll be reporting your to my feline overlord when he's awoken from his late afternoon/pre-first dinner nap.
Previous thread.
Heh. Will your overlord have an unbiased opinion ?
m-n-m is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2012, 02:06 PM   #21
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by m-n-m View Post
Heh. Will your overlord have an unbiased opinion ?
It's difficult to tell, he certainly would disapprove of anything that would interfere in his routine of sleeping, eating, being stroked, hunting and harassing the local wildlife.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2012, 02:38 PM   #22
Lucian
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Helen View Post
I have congenital toxoplasmosis, and I am boringly sane and normal. I've never killed myself, not even once, and I have never owned any designer clothing, nor will I ever. And in all my years of driving, I have never even come close to causing any accidents.

But just in case, I always take my best friend Spiny Norman the hedgehog (dressed in this really cute Armani hedgehog suit I bought him) with me when I am driving, and let him take the wheel if I am beginning to feel inattentive.
Wait, you have toxoplasmosis, and you're a Swede,* and you haven't committed suicide?! Not ever?! I'm skeptical. Please provide evidence for your continued existence. Anecdotes and arguments from authority don't count.

*We've learned elsewhere on these fora that God punishes Swedes for their atheism/secularism by causing the vast majority of them to commit suicide. Indeed, if you believe that you have met a Swede, you are probably suffering from toxoplasmosis-induced hallucinations.
Lucian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2012, 03:34 PM   #23
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Dunno about traffic accidents and schizophrenia; but it would certainly explain the LOLcat phenomenon.
When you say that fascists should only be defeated through debate, what you're really saying is that the marginalized and vulnerable should have to endlessly argue for their right to exist; and at no point should they ever be fully accepted, and the debate considered won.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2012, 04:23 PM   #24
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Complexity View Post
And very tasty.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2012, 05:34 PM   #25
Mister Earl
Illuminator

Cats are only cute when they're still in their larval form. Once they mature and become free-roaming flying cat heads, watch out! Nobody is safe!

Mister Earl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2012, 01:58 AM   #26
Helen
Implicitly explicit

Originally Posted by Lucian View Post
Wait, you have toxoplasmosis, and you're a Swede,* and you haven't committed suicide?! Not ever?! I'm skeptical. Please provide evidence for your continued existence. Anecdotes and arguments from authority don't count.

*We've learned elsewhere on these fora that God punishes Swedes for their atheism/secularism by causing the vast majority of them to commit suicide. Indeed, if you believe that you have met a Swede, you are probably suffering from toxoplasmosis-induced hallucinations.
How silly of me to think I could fool you! I should have expected you to call my bluff - Swedish, atheist, and congenital toxoplasmosis; of course I commit suicide on a regular basis. And since I am feeling a little negative today, I am not sure I could provide any evidence that I have ever existed at all, we all know how hard it is to prove a negative.
Helen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology