ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Arizona politics , David Stringer , sex scandals

Old 2nd April 2019, 10:04 PM   #41
mgidm86
Philosopher

Da-da-dunt dunt dunt
Another thread bites the dust-uh...
Old 2nd April 2019, 10:51 PM   #42
Baylor
Suspended

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
Another Snow Job Fallacy filled with hyperlinks no one will read
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2019, 07:26 AM   #43
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Many people asked the governor to resign.
That's true, but he didn't. Many people also asked the Lt Gov to resign, but again, he didn't either. At least the creepy AZ Representative resigned. So even though he's an indefensible child molester, he's shown more morality than either Virginia Democrat has so far. Now that's bad.
Chris B.
“Racism is evil, and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.” President Donald John Trump

Last edited by ChrisBFRPKY; 3rd April 2019 at 07:27 AM. Reason: sp
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2019, 07:34 AM   #44
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
That's true, but he didn't. Many people also asked the Lt Gov to resign, but again, he didn't either. At least the creepy AZ Representative resigned. So even though he's an indefensible child molester, he's shown more morality than either Virginia Democrat has so far. Now that's bad.
Chris B.
It is also moving the goalposts
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2019, 07:47 AM   #45
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

It is also moving the goalposts
Now that's funny. Not unexpected.

Chris B.
“Racism is evil, and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.” President Donald John Trump
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2019, 10:43 AM   #46
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

ETA; your post seems to suggest that you think I find my behavior acceptable. I do not.
As I was saying...

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
There's nothing in the world easier than impossible standards. They're easy to come up with, you don't have to strive to meet them, and you can blame anyone for anything because they failed to live up to them.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2019, 10:47 AM   #47
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Yep. Democrats divorce these people from the party when found out. Republicans celebrate them and protect them.
You mean like this.
Following release of the report, Republican House Speaker Rusty Bowers said he was “sickened.”

“The behavior described in Mr. Stringer's arrest report is absolutely appalling and sickening,” Bowers said in a statement. “I confronted Mr. Stringer with the information on Wednesday afternoon and again asked him to resign, which he finally did.”
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2019, 11:22 AM   #48
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

As I was saying...
It isn't easy to live it. It is very difficult to live each day with such an odious sense of one's own life
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2019, 11:39 AM   #49
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

It isn't easy to live it. It is very difficult to live each day with such an odious sense of one's own life
I sense a bit of masochistic pleasure in all this. But regardless, the solution is entirely within your own power. Nobody is forcing you to have such absurd beliefs disconnected from actual lived experience.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2019, 11:48 AM   #50
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

I sense a bit of masochistic pleasure in all this. But regardless, the solution is entirely within your own power. Nobody is forcing you to have such absurd beliefs disconnected from actual lived experience.
No one forces me to hold ethical standards, that is correct. Just as no one holds you to the ethical standards you set.

ETA: also, what standards should be is not the point. Each voter made a choice to care about molestation of children only to a certain point. Where that point is, ethical or not, is on them.

Last edited by BobTheCoward; 3rd April 2019 at 11:55 AM.
Old 3rd April 2019, 12:05 PM   #51
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe; I wouldn't know. But I'm put in the mind of a BDSM metaphor. Groveling on the floor of the dungeon while the dominatrix jabs you with her spiked heels and calls you a disgusting worm is probably not an easy thing at all. But to a certain kind of person, it's very goddamn satisfying, and it's also a lot easier than going without that special satisfaction.

Because that's what this feels like to me: A kind of kink play. Public display of personal inadequacy, and public self-flagellation when those inadequacies are called out. You don't want to discuss, or defend, or reason about anything here. You just want to get to the post I just quoted, in as many threads as you can manage.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2019, 12:07 PM   #52
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

No one forces me to hold ethical standards, that is correct.
There is no evidence that your standards are in any way ethical, and considerable evidence that they are not.

Quote:
ETA: also, what standards should be is not the point. Each voter made a choice to care about molestation of children only to a certain point.
This is true in the trivial sense that it's only possible to care up to a certain point. The requirements of life do not allow us to care infinitely about anything, let alone everything.
Old 3rd April 2019, 12:11 PM   #53
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

There is no evidence that your standards are in any way ethical, and considerable evidence that they are not.

This is true in the trivial sense that it's only possible to care up to a certain point. The requirements of life do not allow us to care infinitely about anything, let alone everything.
It is also true that the voters did not care sufficiently about molestation to ensure their candidate was not a molester.
Old 3rd April 2019, 12:22 PM   #54
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Maybe; I wouldn't know. But I'm put in the mind of a BDSM metaphor. Groveling on the floor of the dungeon while the dominatrix jabs you with her spiked heels and calls you a disgusting worm is probably not an easy thing at all. But to a certain kind of person, it's very goddamn satisfying, and it's also a lot easier than going without that special satisfaction.

Because that's what this feels like to me: A kind of kink play. Public display of personal inadequacy, and public self-flagellation when those inadequacies are called out. You don't want to discuss, or defend, or reason about anything here. You just want to get to the post I just quoted, in as many threads as you can manage.
You know, I heard somewhere that The posting patterns and motives of other members is off topic in this thread. It's also a personalization of the debate, which is explicitly against the rules here. I'm sure this this is different because...?
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2019, 12:29 PM   #55
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

It is also true that the voters did not care sufficiently about molestation to ensure their candidate was not a molester.
Lots of statements are true but useless. You seem to specialize in saying them anyways.
Old 3rd April 2019, 02:33 PM   #56
Joecool
Master Poster

Talking

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Yep. Democrats divorce these people from the party when found out. Republicans celebrate them and protect them.
Quote:
What is going on here?

(Jacob) Schwartz is facing up to life in prison for the charges, and he has no credible defense against them.

The judge is thus leaving him out on bail as a way to delay the inevitable.

Here are the court appearances in the Jacob Schwartz case. As you can see, nothing is happening. The case is completely stalled.
https://www.cernovich.com/cnn-guest-...ild-p-rn-case/

Quote:
If you’re a poor defendant, the prosecutor rushes you to trial. If you’re a well-connected member of the elite, prosecutors and judges will let you work the system to stay free.

How connected is Schwartz?

He appeared on CNN to discuss Russiagate conspiracy theories with Chris Cuomo:
Quote:
Here is Schwartz with Hillary Clinton’s campaign manager, Robby Mook.
Hillary Clinton is a democrat right?
Joecool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2019, 03:21 PM   #57
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I think the degree to which this is true is dangerously wrong-headed, if not even a little bit crazy. Of course if a person's past is conspicuous and it's reasonable to know about it, that's one thing. That seems not to be the case here, when the offense was thirty years ago at the other end of the country. Your remark presumes that every candidate should be investigated for every possible criminal act before anyone votes for him, and that it's the voters' tough luck if some unknown factor in the past escapes their scrutiny. I think we should be able to presume that most of us are not child molesters, and be a little surprised when a person turns out to be one. People sometimes deviate from the default, but to suggest that our failure to dig deep enough to find out is a failure to care leads down a very nasty path.

I suppose it aligns nicely with a fundamentalist Christian point of view that we're all miserable sinners, but I suspect that if you took this idea any further than the contrarian argument here, you would end up with a society that is ugly, unworkable, and tainted with innuendo, error and paranoia.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)

Last edited by bruto; 3rd April 2019 at 03:24 PM.
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2019, 03:57 PM   #58
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Baylor
Another Snow Job Fallacy filled with hyperlinks no one will read
One poster supplies relevant quotes from reputable publications that show the increasing partisanship in US politics, the other one sticks his fingers in his ears and cries 'Na Na Na, I'm not Listening!". Guess which one is the hyperpartisan?

I don't expect you to 'read' my links. I actually hope you don't, because then I can quote out of context knowing you won't bother to check.

And don't bother clicking on the attached thumbnail either. Because hey, the full size image might turn out to be quite different!
Old 3rd April 2019, 05:25 PM   #59
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I think we should be able to presume that most of us are not child molesters,
That is a dangerous presumption. There was a time when everyone 'presumed' that their uncle, father, coach or priest wasn't a child molester either, but those times are over.

And politicians are not 'most of us'. To be a successful politician requires certain personality traits that are shared by molesters, so we shouldn't be surprised to find that some are molesters. Indeed, many voters don't seem at all surprised - or concerned - when someone on their side is doing it.

Quote:
to suggest that our failure to dig deep enough to find out is a failure to care leads down a very nasty path.
Too late! We are already well down the path of failure to care. We don't want to dig, and when others do the digging for us we either refuse to look or claim there isn't much to see.

Quote:
I suppose it aligns nicely with a fundamentalist Christian point of view that we're all miserable sinners...
The most disappointing thing about becoming an adult is finding out that this part of Christian ideology is true!

Quote:
...you would end up with a society that is ugly, unworkable, and tainted with innuendo, error and paranoia.
But we already live in that society. A society whose leader was caught bragging about sexual assault and yet still got elected, while the opposition candidate was falsely accused of running a child sex ring and millions believed it. A society that is paranoid of being raped or murdered by illegal immigrants, that cannot manage to govern itself effectively, that constantly makes mistakes for partisan political reasons. A society that is becoming downright ugly.

It's time people woke up and took notice of what is really going on, instead of pretending that everything is fine and these incidents are just outliers.

We’ve Never Seen Congressional Resignations Like This Before
Quote:
The extraordinary string of sexual misconduct allegations over the past few months has led many people to conclude we are in the midst of an unprecedented cultural moment. In the political world, at least, the data bears that out. There has never been a concentration of sexual misconduct allegations that has caused as much public fallout before: The number of resignations over non-consensual sexual overtures in the last two months has nearly matched the number in the preceding 116 years
List of federal political sex scandals in the United States
Old 4th April 2019, 09:29 PM   #60
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Chris B.
Seriously? While wearing Blackface in the 80's was dumb and offensive, are you really trying to make it the equivalent of child molestation?

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2019, 11:26 PM   #61
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Seriously? While wearing Blackface in the 80's was dumb and offensive, are you really trying to make it the equivalent of child molestation?
Nope, that would be the Lt Gov's rape claim. But you knew that already. Blackface vs rape is really not a fair comparison.

Chris B.
Old 5th April 2019, 01:49 AM   #62
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Children in cages. Mistreated and terrorized for months, years. Rampant psychological and sexual abuse. GOP? Zero honor, MIA ethics, trashed integrity.

But they do have a flag pin in their lapel! Well, well, well! That jus' makes up for everythang, now don' it, Miss Beauregard?
Old 5th April 2019, 05:30 PM   #63
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Nope, that would be the Lt Gov's rape claim. But you knew that already. Blackface vs rape is really not a fair comparison.

Chris B.
Thanks for telling what I know, it's amazing that you know what I know better than I do. I guess in future I had better come to you and find out what I don't know I know, because obviously you do know.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics