ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 9th April 2019, 01:11 PM   #1
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10,770
Tea Party Congressmen Advise Big Pharma Not to Cooperate With Investigation

Republicans Are Warning Drug Companies Not To Cooperate With A Congressional Investigation

Quote:
In an unusual move, House Republicans are warning drug companies against complying with a House investigation into drug prices.

Republicans on the House Oversight Committee sent letters to a dozen CEOs of major drug companies warning that information they provide to the committee could be leaked to the public by Democratic chair Elijah Cummings in an effort to tank their stock prices.

Cummings requested information from 12 drug companies such as Pfizer Inc., Johnson & Johnson, and Novartis AG in January as part of a broad investigation into how the industry sets prescription drug prices.

In their letters, Reps. Jim Jordan and Mark Meadows — leaders of the hardline conservative House Freedom Caucus — imply that Cummings may be attempting to collect the information in order to bring down the industry’s stock prices.

They write that Cummings is seeking sensitive information “that would likely harm the competitiveness of your company if disclosed publicly.” They then accuse Cummings of “releasing cherry-picked excerpts from a highly sensitive closed-door interview” conducted in an investigation into White House security clearances. “This is not the first time he has released sensitive information unilaterally,” says the letter. The authors say they “feel obliged to alert” the drug companies of Cummings’ actions.
The kleptocracy keeps rolling.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2019, 01:25 PM   #2
The Big Dog
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 29,742
Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
amen, Cummings should not be trusted.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2019, 02:00 PM   #3
Norman Alexander
Illuminator
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 4,927
Because nobody wants cheaper drugs in the USA. That would be un-American.
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2019, 02:07 PM   #4
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles
 
TragicMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Monkey
Posts: 48,234
Can the committee hold them in contempt for urging noncooperation with a congressional investigation? Congress will be way more fun if they start tossing each other in jail.
__________________
You added nothing to that conversation, Barbara.
TragicMonkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2019, 02:17 PM   #5
Donal
Illuminator
 
Donal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,779
But both sides, right guys? Why can't the Democrats just compromise?
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2019, 03:05 PM   #6
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 17,875
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Because nobody wants cheaper drugs in the USA. That would be un-American.
Not at the expense of pharma stock prices, that is.

We should all be happy to pay more for drugs to make sure that the company stock prices don't fall.
__________________
"As your friend, I have to be honest with you: I don't care about you or your problems" - Chloe, Secret Life of Pets
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2019, 03:54 PM   #7
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 24,332
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
amen, Cummings should not be trusted.
Jordan and Meadows certainly shouldn't be trusted. Apart from the fact that they're Republicans, and nobody in their right mind would trust a Republican, they misrepresent what Cummings meant by "stock prices". He did not mean share prices, he meant drug prices. Watch the video.
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2019, 04:27 PM   #8
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10,770
Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Jordan and Meadows certainly shouldn't be trusted. Apart from the fact that they're Republicans, and nobody in their right mind would trust a Republican, they misrepresent what Cummings meant by "stock prices". He did not mean share prices, he meant drug prices. Watch the video.
I'd trust Gym Jordan to help with things I'd never do. He's perfect if you're a retched person that only wants to do unethical and illegal things.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2019, 04:40 PM   #9
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 24,332
Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Not at the expense of pharma stock prices, that is.

We should all be happy to pay more for drugs to make sure that the company stock prices don't fall.
Out of interest, have US pharma company shares fallen "astronomically" recently?
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2019, 04:45 PM   #10
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 24,332
Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
I'd trust Gym Jordan to help with things I'd never do. He's perfect if you're a retched person that only wants to do unethical and illegal things.
Even for a Republican the man's a nasty piece of work.
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2019, 05:30 PM   #11
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 17,875
Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Out of interest, have US pharma company shares fallen "astronomically" recently?
Eli Lilly has more than doubled in the last 5 years (and is up 70% or so in the last year). It started growing in 2014

BMS has been up and down, and is basically where it was 5 years ago. Very volatile, though

Merck looks a lot like Lilly, came up a little in Feb 2016, took off in March 2018

Pfizer is up 50% in the last 5 years, growth started in Feb 2016, so before Trump

Johnson and Johnson is up 40%, but has bounced around at that level; growth started in Sept 2015, so not a result of Trump

I don't see any sign that pharmaceutical company stocks are hurting, except for BMS
__________________
"As your friend, I have to be honest with you: I don't care about you or your problems" - Chloe, Secret Life of Pets
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2019, 07:29 PM   #12
Norman Alexander
Illuminator
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 4,927
Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Not at the expense of pharma stock prices, that is.

We should all be happy to pay more for drugs to make sure that the company stock prices don't fall.
I think that's what I was saying...by not saying it out loud.
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2019, 08:09 PM   #13
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains
 
Travis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 23,823
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
amen, Cummings should not be trusted.

Strange that you think price gouging of life saving drugs is a thing worth defending.
__________________
"Because WE ARE IGNORANT OF 911 FACTS, WE DEMAND PROOF" -- Douglas Herman on Rense.com
Travis is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2019, 08:51 PM   #14
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 11,115
Mark "some of my best friends are black" Meadows is an asshat; something that he adequately demonstrated for everyone to see when he used a young black woman as a non-speaking human prop to support that tone-deaf stunt he pulled in the second Cohen testimony session.

Jordan, well he's just a plain, good ol' dumb-****; a meat-head ex wannabe sports star.

They're both Repugnican grifters; the only real difference between them is that while Jordan is a nasty piece of work, Meadows is a nasty, racist piece of work.
__________________
#THEYAREUS
The Mueller Report must be released to Congress in full - If Trump has nothing to hide, then he should also have nothing to fear!

Last edited by smartcooky; 9th April 2019 at 08:53 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2019, 08:54 PM   #15
The Big Dog
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 29,742
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Strange that you think price gouging of life saving drugs is a thing worth defending.
Just making a comment that Cummings is a total fraud and grifter
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2019, 08:58 PM   #16
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 11,115
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Just making a comment that Cummings is a total fraud and grifter
... and Trump isn't?
__________________
#THEYAREUS
The Mueller Report must be released to Congress in full - If Trump has nothing to hide, then he should also have nothing to fear!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2019, 11:17 PM   #17
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains
 
Travis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 23,823
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Just making a comment that Cummings is a total fraud and grifter

You call so many reputable people "grifters" that the word has lost all meaning.
__________________
"Because WE ARE IGNORANT OF 911 FACTS, WE DEMAND PROOF" -- Douglas Herman on Rense.com
Travis is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2019, 11:23 PM   #18
Minoosh
Philosopher
 
Minoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,871
These kinds of ledes bug me:

Quote:
WASHINGTON — In an unusual move, House Republicans are warning drug companies against complying with a House investigation into drug prices.
I'd go without "an unusual move" says my inner news editor.

They are also advocating for more government spending, since Medicare and Medicaid are probably paying for lots of the meds to begin with.
ETA: There could be some good FOI material if we found out how much taxpayers are paying to these cartels.

Last edited by Minoosh; 9th April 2019 at 11:26 PM.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2019, 01:53 AM   #19
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 12,461
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
You call so many reputable people "grifters" that the word has lost all meaning.
That's the point. It's has been the GOP tactic for many years. Accuse the other party of all the things you do and are planning to do. That way, when they call you on it, you can accuse them of hypocrisy.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1

Last edited by uke2se; 10th April 2019 at 01:54 AM.
uke2se is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2019, 03:57 AM   #20
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 40,133
Is it just me or does Jim Jordan look a mardi gras float.
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2019, 04:48 AM   #21
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 80,610
Originally Posted by Donal View Post
But both sides, right guys? Why can't the Democrats just compromise?
I think you'll find few here who'll say that both sides are equally in the wrong. Nor can you compromise on the unacceptable.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2019, 05:14 AM   #22
applecorped
Rotten to the Core
 
applecorped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 19,121
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Strange that you think price gouging of life saving drugs is a thing worth defending.
You just made that up. I'm tempted to call it a high-speed fail
__________________
All You Need Is Love.
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2019, 05:36 AM   #23
lomiller
Philosopher
 
lomiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,625
Meh, more of the usual anti-American “lets undermine US laws and government” from the nut-bars on the far right. I’m not sure why anyone would expect different either from them or their supporters at this point.
__________________
"Anything's possible, but only a few things actually happen"
lomiller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2019, 05:57 AM   #24
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Boston, USA
Posts: 1,414
Realistically, they don't have to appear unless there is a subpoena. Generally, industry leaders choose to participate because it is better to have a voice in a decision making processes.

The lunatic right might be willing to take an extremely hostile stance towards Democrats. I doubt that business types will be quite so openly partisan. They would prefer to remain in the good graces of whoever happens to be in control.

I suspect they will show up and make the case that they can regulate themselves without additional laws being passed. Not showing up makes it harder for such a narrative to succeed.
__________________
Gobble gobble
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:39 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.