ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th April 2019, 06:14 AM   #201
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
Okay. Thanks for the honesty of this reply.
Yeah. I hit a point where I wasn't going to be able to make my statement any more clear than it was. That is a limitation of me as a writer. Much better than trying to blame you for not getting it.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 07:51 AM   #202
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
There is a choice. Negotiate a peace.
They did negotiate a peace. A pretty good one, too. The peace negotiated between Japan and the US was probably the best possible peace the region could have hoped for. Not a perfect peace, by any means. And there was still a lot of other trouble in the region that needed to be dealt with - even today. But still, the US did negotiate a pretty good peace, after Pearl Harbor.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2019, 08:07 AM   #203
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Have you ever in your entire life used an analogy, and had your audience say, "thanks, now that you used that analogy, I understand and maybe even agree with your position"?
Yes.

At the least, a reasonable listener will see that the principle they used to reach their conclusion is in error if the same principle leads to a conclusion he rejects.

This is, after all, how rational discussions work. We evaluate principles in part by their consequences. (Strictly speaking, this is not an appeal to analogy. It is pointing out a consequence of one's proffered or apparent principle, in order to prompt a reevaluate, i.e. a reductio ad absurdum.)

Last edited by phiwum; 17th April 2019 at 08:09 AM.
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th April 2019, 08:09 AM   #204
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
Yeah, but admittedly more often in person than on the internet (online it may be limited more to the "I understand" part, than to "I agree", that happens pretty rarely with any form of argument).

In this case I was more hoping that the analogy would help to get bob to make clear exactly where he disagreed, though I failed in that too.
It is difficult to use a reductio ad absurdum to convince some folk.

For obvious reasons.

Last edited by phiwum; 17th April 2019 at 08:10 AM.
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 06:15 AM   #205
jeremyp
Muse

There is a choice. Negotiate a peace.
How?

Japan just started a war with you. What can you possibly give them that would stop the war that would be politically acceptable to the people of your own country. Remember they just put your Pacific Fleet out of action, killing over 2,000 Americans in the process.

Japan bombed Pearl Harbor to neutralise the USA for long enough to grab everything they wanted in Asia and the Pacific. There could be no negotiated peace that wouldn't have included the USA letting the Japanese carry on with their empire building and forgiving them for Pearl Harbor. I can't see that being acceptable to Roosevelt or the American people of the time any more than GW Bush acceding to Al Qaida demands after 9/11 would have been to the American people 18 years ago.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 06:34 AM   #206
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Certainly not a bigger lie than the series of lies around the Vietnam War (see Pentagon Papers) but we can now officially add, "Trump did not collude with Russia in the 2016 campaign" to the growing list of whoppers. We see rather clearly this week that the Trump campaign did in fact collude with Russia. That collusion did not rise to the level of a criminal conspiracy.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 06:40 AM   #207
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
How?

Japan just started a war with you. What can you possibly give them that would stop the war that would be politically acceptable to the people of your own country. Remember they just put your Pacific Fleet out of action, killing over 2,000 Americans in the process.

Japan bombed Pearl Harbor to neutralise the USA for long enough to grab everything they wanted in Asia and the Pacific. There could be no negotiated peace that wouldn't have included the USA letting the Japanese carry on with their empire building and forgiving them for Pearl Harbor. I can't see that being acceptable to Roosevelt or the American people of the time any more than GW Bush acceding to Al Qaida demands after 9/11 would have been to the American people 18 years ago.
As an American person, I find those terms acceptable.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 12:17 PM   #208
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Certainly not a bigger lie than the series of lies around the Vietnam War (see Pentagon Papers) but we can now officially add, "Trump did not collude with Russia in the 2016 campaign" to the growing list of whoppers. We see rather clearly this week that the Trump campaign did in fact collude with Russia. That collusion did not rise to the level of a criminal conspiracy.
And no matter the facts, no matter how many people using half a brain or more recognize what the Mueller report actually says, Trump will continue to repeat Mueller exonerated him, and continue to believe he got away with it.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 20th April 2019 at 12:18 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 03:54 PM   #209
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
How?There could be no negotiated peace that wouldn't have included the USA letting the Japanese carry on with their empire building and forgiving them for Pearl Harbor. I can't see that being acceptable to Roosevelt or the American people of the time any more than GW Bush acceding to Al Qaida demands after 9/11 would have been to the American people 18 years ago.
You do understand these are Bob's preferred outcomes?

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 04:06 PM   #210
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Yes, of course it was Trump/Assange/Putin collusion.... and it most probably does constitute criminal conspiracy. The parties involved were minimally bright enough to avoid leaving an actionable smoking gun. And anyone who doesn't think the stolen material didn't have a significant affect on a razor thin election is an imbecile.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 08:59 PM   #211
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
Yes, of course it was Trump/Assange/Putin collusion.... and it most probably does constitute criminal conspiracy. The parties involved were minimally bright enough to avoid leaving an actionable smoking gun. And anyone who doesn't think the stolen material didn't have had a significant affect on a razor thin election is an imbecile.
My apologies for the double negative.

Wollen owns the stage
Old Yesterday, 03:58 PM   #212
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

As an American person, I find those terms acceptable.
As a US American person in 1941, you are a figment of your own imagination.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:41 PM   #213
Stacyhs
Philosopher

I don't know if it's the biggest political lie, but right up there is that we need to make America great again.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:45 PM   #214
Venom
Master Poster

Biggest lie of the past three years:

The economy is excellent. Thanks Donald Trump!
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:42 PM   #215
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Trump will continue to repeat Mueller exonerated him, and continue to believe he got away with it.
Which he did.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics