ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags gun laws

Old 10th April 2019, 06:13 PM   #1
Ranb
Philosopher

Bipartisan Background Checks Act of 2019

The bill;
https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-...se-bill/8/text
Quote:
“(t) (1) (A) It shall be unlawful for any person who is not a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer to transfer a firearm to any other person who is not so licensed, unless a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer has first taken possession of the firearm for the purpose of complying with subsection (s).

“(B) Upon taking possession of a firearm under subparagraph (A), a licensee shall comply with all requirements of this chapter as if the licensee were transferring the firearm from the inventory of the licensee to the unlicensed transferee.
In other words if I sell a gun to an unlicensed person I have to bring it to a licensed dealer to facilitate the transfer. It is somewhat like the WA state bill I was commenting on a while back, but not as stupid. H.R. 8 would allow me to let a friend shoot one of my guns while I watch without transferring it to him/her. Until they got rid of that ridiculous part of the WA RCW, letting a friend shoot my gun at the range could have been a felony.

There was much ado about one of the amendments which would require that ICE be notified if an illegal alien tried to buy a gun.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/dem...kground-checks
Quote:
“Clearly, the Democrats on the House Judiciary Committee don’t care about preventing gun violence, they simply are playing politics with Americans’ Second Amendment rights,” Steube, a Republican, said after the vote. “The fact that Democrats do not want law enforcement notified if an individual attempting to purchase a firearm fails a background check is truly troubling.”

He continued: “In rejecting this amendment, the Democrats have shown their true colors. It is clear they are not interested in preventing gun violence or stopping the illegal purchase of firearms, but rather they are only interested in limiting the rights of law-abiding citizens to advance their own political agenda."

But the amendment was eventually approved.
https://www.npr.org/2019/02/27/69851...l-in-2-decades
Quote:
Just before the bill's final passage, a handful of Democrats broke ranks and joined Republicans in getting an amendment added. It requires federal immigration officials to be contacted in the event someone in the U.S. illegally tries to buy a gun.
This is a no-brainer, but it doesn't go far enough. Anyone who lies on the 4473 and fails the NICS check should be the subject of a phone call to the police so they can be arrested and their written confession (form 4473) used against them at trial.

I don't think this bill has the votes to pass the Senate. Trump is in my opinion likely to sign the bill if it passes the Senate.

Ranb

Last edited by Ranb; 10th April 2019 at 06:18 PM.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2019, 08:40 PM   #2
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

It isn't anyone's business who I sell a gun to.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2019, 08:56 PM   #3
beren
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
I take it that you are not anyone then?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
Old 11th April 2019, 10:55 AM   #4
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Thanks for posting your summary and comments.

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
This is a no-brainer, but it doesn't go far enough. Anyone who lies on the 4473 and fails the NICS check should be the subject of a phone call to the police so they can be arrested and their written confession (form 4473) used against them at trial.
This seems like the most common sense gun idea that I can't understand why it isn't the law.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 10:57 AM   #5
Belz...
Fiend God

What's anyone's business depends on the society you're in. Besides, it's apparently our business who you see a car to.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 11:17 AM   #6
Ranb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
This seems like the most common sense gun idea that I can't understand why it isn't the law.
It's always hard to get the Democrats and GOP to agree on something like gun control.

From what I read there were accusations that some Democrats did not want ICE informed of criminal activity associated with undocumented aliens trying to buy guns. How stupid can a person get? Even if this amendment was introduced to "cloud the issue" as one Representative claimed, why would anyone want to stand in the way of any law enforcement obtaining information concerning the illegal transfer of a gun?

Is this the way it is in any other country that has universal bkgd checks? Probably not, but I like to hear more about it from our non-US members.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 11:59 AM   #7
Donal
Illuminator

So, I'm not familiar with the background check process. But can an illegal alien/undocumented immigrant actually pass a background check as it is?
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 12:06 PM   #8
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

The bill;
https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-...se-bill/8/text

In other words if I sell a gun to an unlicensed person I have to bring it to a licensed dealer to facilitate the transfer. It is somewhat like the WA state bill I was commenting on a while back, but not as stupid. H.R. 8 would allow me to let a friend shoot one of my guns while I watch without transferring it to him/her. Until they got rid of that ridiculous part of the WA RCW, letting a friend shoot my gun at the range could have been a felony.

There was much ado about one of the amendments which would require that ICE be notified if an illegal alien tried to buy a gun.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/dem...kground-checks

But the amendment was eventually approved.
https://www.npr.org/2019/02/27/69851...l-in-2-decades

I don't think this bill has the votes to pass the Senate. Trump is in my opinion likely to sign the bill if it passes the Senate.

Ranb
Hear! Hear!

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 12:09 PM   #9
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
So, I'm not familiar with the background check process. But can an illegal alien/undocumented immigrant actually pass a background check as it is?
No, at least not a fed NICS.

Here in California with the current leadership (S.F.) illegal alien felons w/ firearms in possession are not reported to ICE or ATFE.

BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 12:14 PM   #10
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

It's always hard to get the Democrats and GOP to agree on something like gun control.

From what I read there were accusations that some Democrats did not want ICE informed of criminal activity associated with undocumented aliens trying to buy guns. How stupid can a person get? Even if this amendment was introduced to "cloud the issue" as one Representative claimed, why would anyone want to stand in the way of any law enforcement obtaining information concerning the illegal transfer of a gun?

Is this the way it is in any other country that has universal bkgd checks? Probably not, but I like to hear more about it from our non-US members.
I wonder if the democrats would be more supportive if everyone who fails a background check is investigated for their crime. Otherwise, it does seem to be targeted at just one subset of the community.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 12:45 PM   #11
Donal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
No, at least not a fed NICS.

Here in California with the current leadership (S.F.) illegal alien felons w/ firearms in possession are not reported to ICE or ATFE.
So they go to California state prisons?
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 02:16 PM   #12
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Read the fine print in your social contract.
Old 11th April 2019, 08:04 PM   #13
Ranb
Philosopher

They are high on the list of people who are absolutely prohibited from buying guns in the USA.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/44...53009/download
Block 12c

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/w...ed-to-buy-guns
Quote:
The FBI this year has barred a record number of cases of illegal immigrants from buying guns, according to a new report of background checks.

The National Instant Criminal Background Check System listed 7,836,600 “illegal/unlawful alien” as of 2018.
That number has been increasing in recent years.
Of those, some 3,300 were denied in fiscal year 2017.
Illegal immigrants rank at the top of those on the FBI’s “prohibited category.”
Old 12th April 2019, 08:16 AM   #14
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

So they go to California state prisons?
A reasonable person would believe so, but...:

https://www.sfgate.com/crime/article...ld-3676718.php

Missed opportunity

Virginia Kice, a spokeswoman for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, released a statement referring to San Francisco police arresting and jailing Ramos on suspicion of gun possession in March 2008. Ramos was not charged, but could have been deported.

Kice said her agency received an electronic alert about Ramos only after he had been freed, and "made multiple attempts to locate Mr. Ramos."

Officials at the Sheriff's Department, which runs the city's jails, have said federal officials told them at the time not to put an immigration hold on Ramos.

If you read the article linked, it relates to the triple murder the actor was eventually convicted of.

The firearm in question that was found in Ramo's vehicle during a traffic stop (and Ramo's was not charged w/ illegal firearms possession in either state or federal court) was later ballistically matched to another murder.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics