ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Kim Jong-un , US-North Korea relations

Old 22nd March 2019, 12:44 PM   #2201
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Donny just wants the secret Kim family golf techniques... those guys are amazing.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2019, 12:47 PM   #2202
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

ANd South Korea has just been stabbed in the back.
And the only freaking reason is Trump does not want to admit that Kim made him look like a fool.
I am now covniced more then ever Trump will get us into a war just because of his ego combined with his stupidity.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2019, 02:01 PM   #2203
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Literally because Trump thinks they're good friends.
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
White House says, "President Trump likes" Kim Jong Un ďand he doesnít think these sanctions will be necessary.Ē
Oh deary deary me...
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2019, 02:05 PM   #2204
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

I was just coming to post about those flip-flop sanctions.

It's almost as if Trump isn't even talking to anyone else in DC.
Old 22nd March 2019, 07:02 PM   #2205
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

Why would Treasury announce new sanctions without Trump's approval? Did he approve earlier & forget?
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2019, 07:27 PM   #2206
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
Why would Treasury announce new sanctions without Trump's approval? Did he approve earlier & forget?
Most likely.
Old 22nd March 2019, 07:43 PM   #2207
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Most likely.
It's Friday night and the usual "unnamed sources in the administration" are either shrugging and saying "your guess is as good as mine" or trying to spin it that he's not talking about the sanctions imposed by Treasury, which he specifically alluded to, but "some other more evil sanctions that are in the works".

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2019, 04:34 AM   #2208
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/John_Hudson/stat...46900228771840

Quote:
So to summarize: Trump did not cancel previously imposed sanctions, he cancelled a classified round of large-scale North Korea sanctions that would've been a total secret had he not tweeted it out
Article embedded in tweet.
Old 24th March 2019, 06:31 AM   #2209
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
That's what I'd heard overnight Fri/Sat here. Can't remember where I read it first, though.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2019, 08:15 AM   #2210
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Well, at least he's not using his personal server for classified stuff.
Old 27th March 2019, 04:56 AM   #2211
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1110559220192157697

Quote:
Bloomberg reports Trump's team lied when they said Trump's tweet was about possible sanctions that hadn't been revealed - his tweet indeed intended to reverse the newly announced sanctions, then aides persuaded him to back off and made up a "cover story."
Article embedded in tweet.
Old 27th March 2019, 05:33 AM   #2212
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Literally because Trump thinks they're good friends.
Back to the times of kings, it seems.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2019, 12:13 AM   #2213
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/polit...k-in-politics/

Mike Pompeo tried a Double Trump Shuffle on Tom Malinowski on the hill. His answer to anything was "he's the leader of the country". When that answer wouldn't suffice when asked about Otto Warmbier, he tried indignation and actually stole Trump's line "I know these people and I love them." Seems that everyone in the Administration loves the Warmbiers.

Lies and obfuscation. Make America Grate Again.

Old 13th April 2019, 06:41 AM   #2214
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Just posting this here:

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/12/71262...ment-reshuffle

Trump is, once again, undermining SK's attempts to actually deal with NK in a mature and measured manner.

Quote:
Kim's expectations of tough times ahead seemed to anticipate President Trump's comments to visiting South Korean President Moon Jae-in on Thursday that he was unwilling to ease sanctions on the North, or make big concessions in nuclear negotiations.

Moon's trip to Washington was seen in Seoul as a crucial test of his role as mediator between North Korea and the U.S. South Korea's government had voiced hopes for a "good-enough deal," and an "early harvest." In other words, a smaller, interim deal to get the denuclearization ball rolling.

But Trump mostly rebuffed Moon, saying "at this moment, we're talking about the big deal. The big deal is we have to get rid of the nuclear weapons."

Trump did leave some wiggle room for incremental progress. "I'd have to see what the deal is," he told reporters. "There are various smaller deals that maybe could happen."
Old 13th April 2019, 12:52 PM   #2215
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

I agree with Kim Jong Un of North Korea that our personal relationship remains very good, perhaps the term excellent would be even more accurate, and that a third Summit would be good in that we fully understand where we each stand. North Korea has tremendous potential for.......

....extraordinary growth, economic success and riches under the leadership of Chairman Kim. I look forward to the day, which could be soon, when Nuclear Weapons and Sanctions can be removed, and then watching North Korea become one of the most successful nations of the World!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2019, 02:03 PM   #2216
Steve
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

I agree with Kim Jong Un of North Korea that our personal relationship remains very good, perhaps the term excellent would be even more accurate, and that a third Summit would be good in that we fully understand where we each stand. North Korea has tremendous potential for.......

....extraordinary growth, economic success and riches under the leadership of Chairman Kim. I look forward to the day, which could be soon, when Nuclear Weapons and Sanctions can be removed, and then watching North Korea become one of the most successful nations of the World!
Sure does love those dictators. All of America must be so proud.
Old 13th April 2019, 03:14 PM   #2217
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
No... only about 40% or so.
Old 13th April 2019, 03:39 PM   #2218
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Quote:
The big deal is we have to get rid of the nuclear weapons.
Never going to happen. NK is never going to get rid of its ace in the hole. Is Trump really that stupid?

That's a rhetorical question. Of course he's that stupid.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2019, 09:13 AM   #2219
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Two new developments:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/18/w...pons-test.html

Quote:
SEOUL, South Korea — Kim Jong-un’s test of what analysts said could be a new short-range guided or cruise missile shows the North Korean leader reverting to saber rattling as he seeks to end sanctions that are derailing his hopes of rejuvenating the North’s economy.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/18/polit...ntl/index.html

Quote:
"We cannot be aware of Pompeo's ulterior motive behind his self-indulgence in reckless remarks; whether he is indeed unable to understand words properly or just pretending on purpose. However, it is a very dangerous situation if he really did not grasp the meaning," Kwon said.
"The meaning is that the US should get rid of the root cause that pushed us into a nuclear state and obstacles on the way to denuclearization by its own hands; otherwise no one can predict how the situation on the Korean peninsula will turn out."
He also appeared to blame Pompeo for the collapse of the Hanoi talks, saying that summit "gives us a lesson that whenever Pompeo pokes his nose in, the talks go wrong without any results."
Kwon's statement concluded, "Therefore, even in the case of possible resumption of the dialogue with the US, I wish our dialogue counterpart would be not Pompeo but other person who is more careful and mature in communicating with us."
Old 18th April 2019, 10:42 AM   #2220
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
If a Democrat bragged about his friendship for Kim, I wonder if the GOP would be as quiet about as they are with Trump.
I have zero respect left for the GOP. THey have sold out every principal they ever had in the pursuit of power.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th April 2019, 10:51 AM   #2221
Steve
Illuminator

As I was reading the following as posted above:

"We cannot be aware of Pompeo's ulterior motive behind his self-indulgence in reckless remarks; whether he is indeed unable to understand words properly or just pretending on purpose. However, it is a very dangerous situation if he really did not grasp the meaning," Kwon said.
"The meaning is that the US should get rid of the root cause that pushed us into a nuclear state and obstacles on the way to denuclearization by its own hands; otherwise no one can predict how the situation on the Korean peninsula will turn out."
He also appeared to blame Pompeo for the collapse of the Hanoi talks, saying that summit "gives us a lesson that whenever Pompeo pokes his nose in, the talks go wrong without any results."
Kwon's statement concluded, "Therefore, even in the case of possible resumption of the dialogue with the US, I wish our dialogue counterpart would be not Pompeo but other person who is more careful and mature in communicating with us."

I was thinking that, with a change of names, it is very similar to the types of communications rhetoric that most people have come to expect from the Trump administration. Makes a person realize why Trump has such a love for Kim - both their regimes think/talk/act in a very similar manner. Kim may be one of a mere handful of people on this globe that Trump actually understands.
Old 18th April 2019, 05:44 PM   #2222
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
If a Democrat bragged about his friendship for Kim, I wonder if the GOP would be as quiet about as they are with Trump.
I have zero respect left for the GOP. THey have sold out every principal they ever had in the pursuit of power.
Hell no! If Obama had sidled up to Putin or Kim the way Trump has done, the Repubs would have been screaming bloody murder and the likes of Hannity and Tucker would have been using the word 'treason' every chance they got.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2019, 08:23 AM   #2223
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Hell no! If Obama had sidled up to Putin or Kim the way Trump has done, the Repubs would have been screaming bloody murder and the likes of Hannity and Tucker would have been using the word 'treason' every chance they got.

"IF"? They DID scream bloody murder over Obama's Iran deal, which was nothing more than Obama working with Iran in almost the same way Trump is (failing) to work with North Korea.

Notice that most of our criticisms here do not relate to the attempt to normalize relations with NK; they relate to Trump's own incompetence in these dealings.
Old 19th April 2019, 10:34 PM   #2224
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

The Trumpists are going to have to revert to Craig's List and post an ad "New Tinpot Dictator Needed.... Do you want to see your name in the news? Call 1-888-555-1111."

He's running out of use for "well, I really really like him" Kim gambit. He hasn't gotten there but everyone around him admits that his instincts obviously suck. Meeting with his top warhawks must be a joy. They're all on the other side of the table Dr. Strangeloving away, and he's sitting there thinking.... "Wait, did Bolton get two scoops of ice cream - that's not right - oh where were we, yeah, I can't be seen to be wrong and I said we were BFFs so I'll just not mention Kimmy ever again and no one will notice. Lookit that lying press. Yeah, that's the ticket!"

He wanted to cozy up to Duterte but his handlers realize he was being played, so no mention of them. Bolton and friends want to arm Taiwan to the teeth but there's a great chance that the Taiwanese government will revert back to KMT shortly and the militaristic posturing is being ratcheted down. Besides, those are at least nominally "democratic" governments. Trump needs a new dictatorial government to suck up to. They thought they found the perfect place - one of the **** hole countries, as a bonus, but sadly they don't read any actual news and the efforts to scratch al-Bashir behind the ears were for nought when the Sudan government was over-thrown. No problem! We'll just rewrite our overtures and address them to the new junta leader. Alas, that guy has said he's going to put in a civilian government. Can't anyone just maintain a misanthropic and murderous dictatorship any longer?

Ah, but here we have a country we don't like. Let's support the general trying to overthrow the Libyan government! They're almost a **** hole country and we've never liked them! (Pause thinking while he gets a note from the SoS - "What? We support the current government of Libya? Who knew diplomacy could be so difficult.)

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics