ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , mental illness issues , psychiatry incidents , psychiatry issues , Trump controversies

Old 12th April 2019, 12:19 AM   #1721
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Trump on Wednesday in Texas:

Quote:
We built a lot of wall, a lot of wall and it’s new wall. You know when we ripped down an old wall and then replaced it, it’s called a new wall and that’s what we’ve done. A lot of wall is going up and every place we build the wall, it’s less and less.
Nah, there's nothing wrong with that man. Everyone speaks like this.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th April 2019, 09:12 PM   #1722
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

More evidence Trump's mental state is deteriorating:

Trump just gave a weird, slurring speech about “hot cops” and Melania’s dresses at opioid summit

And: Vox: Trump’s tweets are getting more unhinged
Quote:
Trump just won’t let the spying thing go

But perhaps Trump’s wildest tweet of the morning came when he used a quote from a discredited conspiracy theorist to reiterate an unfounded idea he first pushed two years ago about the Obama administration “spying” on his campaign.

Citing the Trump-friendly news outlet One America News, Trump tweeted, “‘Former CIA analyst Larry Johnson accuses United Kingdom Intelligence of helping Obama Administration Spy on the 2016 Trump Presidential Campaign.’ ... WOW! It is now just a question of time before the truth comes out, and when it does, it will be a beauty!”...

Suffice it to say that Larry Johnson, the former CIA officer Trump cites, is not a credible source. As the Independent detailed two years ago when Johnson was involved in Trump’s first failed effort to convince the public that Obama spied on him, Johnson has a long history of spreading baseless conspiracy theories about prominent Democrats:...

Trump has been tweeting nonsense about a variety of topics
While Trump’s Wednesday morning tweets were especially off the rails, Monday and Tuesday weren’t much better. Trump tweeted bogus theories about how the impeachment process works, falsely claimed Mueller didn’t seek testimony from people in his inner circle, retweeted a post accusing Democrats of trying to orchestrate a “COUP” to get him out of office, and urged the New York Times to “get down on their knees & beg for forgiveness” in a tweet in which he falsely claimed the publication apologized to him for its coverage of the 2016 campaign.

In other tweets, Trump rewrote history about Bill Clinton’s impeachment, called Morning Joe anchor Joe Scarborough “Dumb and Sick,” and pushed baseless conspiracy theories about Twitter decreasing his follower count by “taking people off list.”
Scary.
Old 25th April 2019, 12:12 AM   #1723
Stacyhs
Philosopher

It's only scary to people who have the ability to recognize Trump for what he is. For the others, it's just the same-o, same-o defense of the POTUS (Piece of Totally Useless S***)
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 12:57 AM   #1724
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Maybe there were free samples of opiods before the speech.
Old 25th April 2019, 01:32 PM   #1725
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Maybe there were free samples of opiods before the speech.
A fishbowl full of Oxycontin with a sign "take one - compliments of Sackler Family Foundation"
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 01:42 PM   #1726
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Scary indeed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCjdl_fIwqQ
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2019, 03:50 PM   #1727
Bob001
Philosopher

Shrinks assess the Mueller report:
Quote:
If One is Too Incompetent to Commit a Crime, Despite Trying Hard,
Is One Competent to be President?
Quote:
Given the clear documentation we have summarized in the Special Counsel’s report of the President’s impaired capacity to make responsible decisions free of impulsivity, recklessness, manipulation of advisors, a degree of suspiciousness that leads him to believe that he needs to defend himself against betrayal or persecution, an absorption in self-interest that precludes attention to the national interest, inability to consider consequences before taking action, detachment from reality, paranoid reactions, creation of dangerous conditions, and cognitive and memory difficulties, there is compelling medical evidence that he is lacks the capacity to serve as president.
https://dangerouscase.org/wp-content...ler-Report.pdf
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2019, 03:59 PM   #1728
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Shrinks assess the Mueller report:

https://dangerouscase.org/wp-content...ler-Report.pdf
I'd need to see their psychological assessment of Mueller, before I accept their assessment of Trump by proxy of Mueller's report.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2019, 04:09 PM   #1729
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I'd need to see their psychological assessment of Mueller, before I accept their assessment of Trump by proxy of Mueller's report.
Of course you would.
Old 26th April 2019, 08:57 PM   #1730
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
A fishbowl full of Oxycontin with a sign "take one - compliments of Sackler Family Foundation"
Take one? Take one??
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2019, 10:37 PM   #1731
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

That is some weird wacky stuff.
Old 26th April 2019, 10:40 PM   #1732
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Take one? Take one??
If it's a well run business only the first one is free.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th April 2019, 05:23 AM   #1733
dann
Philosopher

It takes more than one to become addicted ...
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 02:45 AM   #1734
Henri McPhee
Illuminator

There needs to be sane government.
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 02:47 AM   #1735
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Henri McPhee View Post
There needs to be sane government.
There won't be, not until it's no longer possible to just straight up purchase politicians.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2019, 09:36 AM   #1736
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/stat...669573/video/1

Quote:
"I'm so young. I can't believe it. I'm the youngest person. I'm a young, vibrant man."
Nope, nothing wrong there
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2019, 10:22 AM   #1737
dann
Philosopher

Well, maybe he was cloned, and the clone got progeria ...
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 01:49 PM   #1738
xjx388
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post

Can you pinpoint what exactly is wrong there? We have plenty of patients older than him in good health and are very active...are they all dangerously mentally ill too?
Old 14th May 2019, 02:00 PM   #1739
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Can you pinpoint what exactly is wrong there? We have plenty of patients older than him in good health and are very active...are they all dangerously mentally ill too?
Do they proclaim "I'm so young. I can't believe it. I'm the youngest person. I'm a young, vibrant man."

"I'm the youngest person" - really?
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 02:09 PM   #1740
xjx388
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Do they proclaim "I'm so young. I can't believe it. I'm the youngest person. I'm a young, vibrant man."

"I'm the youngest person" - really?
Not in those exact words, no, but they do often express the idea that they feel younger than they actually are. Stuff like, "Well, I'm 75 but I feel 35!" It's a very common in the healthy, active and older adults we see here. I think you really have to interpret the statement as uncharitably as possible in order to get some supposed "sign of dangerous mental illness" from it.
Old 14th May 2019, 03:45 PM   #1741
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Not in those exact words, no, but they do often express the idea that they feel younger than they actually are. Stuff like, "Well, I'm 75 but I feel 35!" It's a very common in the healthy, active and older adults we see here. I think you really have to interpret the statement as uncharitably as possible in order to get some supposed "sign of dangerous mental illness" from it.
And yet that is not how Trump words his beliefs about himself.

If it were one thing, one time, one might say it's not significant how Trump worded that.

Instead however, it is consistent and taken together with the fact it is also incessant, it suggests pathological thinking. His narcissism dominates his thought processes.
Old 14th May 2019, 04:00 PM   #1742
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Or, you know, you could simply pay attention to all the other BS he says.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 04:06 PM   #1743
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Or, you know, you could simply pay attention to all the other BS he says.
Paying attention to BS seems generally unproductive to me.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 04:07 PM   #1744
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Paying attention to BS seems generally unproductive to me.
You should pay attention to the fact that it's coming from the White House, but since you insist on being blind to Trump's faults I'm sure you won't
Old 14th May 2019, 04:14 PM   #1745
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

You should pay attention to the fact that it's coming from the White House, but since you insist on being blind to Trump's faults I'm sure you won't
Paying attention to a fact about BS is very different from paying attention to all BS itself.

How much of my attention do you recommend I devote to the fact of BS coming from the White House?
Old 14th May 2019, 04:24 PM   #1746
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Paying attention to a fact about BS is very different from paying attention to all BS itself.

How much of my attention do you recommend I devote to the fact of BS coming from the White House?
None. But then that leaves nothing left to pay attention to.
Old 14th May 2019, 04:24 PM   #1747
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I think if such statements were unusual, it would be uncharitable to pick this one out. But such a statement is not at all unusual here, and there have been enough examples of similar statements to make it at least uncertain whether or not it is a rhetorical exaggeration, a lack of perception, or simply a crazy lie.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 04:27 PM   #1748
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Sure, if you want to be pedantic and deliberately misrepresent my point, which was: You should pay attention to BS for the purpose of recognizing this person is a BSer and can't be trusted (and is perhaps mentally ill). With anyone sincerely engaged in conversation/debate, this would be obvious. And then there's you. Do you ever engage in debate in a sincere way, or are you always disingenuous?

Quote:
Enough to realize it's a problem. Of course, that will never happen with you.
Old 14th May 2019, 04:42 PM   #1749
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

None. But then that leaves nothing left to pay attention to. : p
Making Donald Trump by far the easiest president I've ever had to deal with.
Old 14th May 2019, 04:49 PM   #1750
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Sure, if you want to be pedantic and deliberately misrepresent my point, which was: You should pay attention to BS for the purpose of recognizing this person is a BSer and can't be trusted (and is perhaps mentally ill). With anyone sincerely engaged in conversation/debate, this would be obvious. And then there's you. Do you ever engage in debate in a sincere way, or are you always disingenuous?

Enough to realize it's a problem. Of course, that will never happen with you.
Given the colossal disingenuity of the Yale group, that kicked off this thread, and the colossal disingenuity of their fan club which has perpetuated this thread, you complaining about me pissing into an ocean of piss barely counts as "kinda disingenuous".

Anyway, I gave plenty of ingenuous argumentation in the early parts of this thread. That ground has been well covered, and the results are in. I'm not going to re-hash it all for you now. Look me up in some thread that isn't already a long running **** show.
Old 14th May 2019, 04:54 PM   #1751
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Given the colossal disingenuity of the Yale group, that kicked off this thread, and the colossal disingenuity of their fan club which has perpetuated this thread, you complaining about me pissing into an ocean of piss barely counts as "kinda disingenuous".
I'm not aware of any disingenuity on their part; I'm talking about your disingenuity.

Quote:
Anyway, I gave plenty of ingenuous argumentation in the early parts of this thread. That ground has been well covered, and the results are in. I'm not going to re-hash it all for you now. Look me up in some thread that isn't already a long running **** show.
I have. It's always the same disingenuous BS.
Old 14th May 2019, 05:04 PM   #1752
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not aware of any disingenuity on their part;
I know, Cabbage. I know.
Quote:
I'm talking about your disingenuity.

I have. It's always the same disingenuous BS.
Says the guy who sucks at identifying disingenuity.
Old 14th May 2019, 05:30 PM   #1753
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Making Donald Trump by far the easiest president I've ever had to deal with.
I was only referencing his blabbering and Tweeting. Says nothing about the actions he takes you might be interested in.
Old 14th May 2019, 05:32 PM   #1754
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Riiight... dismiss all the evidence with an ad hominem hand wave. That's convincing. Not.
Old 14th May 2019, 05:37 PM   #1755
Stacyhs
Philosopher

I can give Trump credit for at least one thing: he knows his base. When he said he could shoot someone in the middle of Times Square and not lose a vote, he was right. We've seen that kind of blind defense of him in this thread over and over again by the same people. Scares the hell out of me.
Old 14th May 2019, 05:41 PM   #1756
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I was only referencing his blabbering and Tweeting. Says nothing about the actions he takes you might be interested in.
His actions are within the mainstream of US presidential actions.
Old 14th May 2019, 05:42 PM   #1757
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Riiight... dismiss all the evidence with an ad hominem hand wave. That's convincing. Not.
Speaking of disingenuity...
Old 14th May 2019, 05:44 PM   #1758
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I can give Trump credit for at least one thing: he knows his base. When he said he could shoot someone in the middle of Times Square and not lose a vote, he was right.
Evidence?

This right here is the kind of disingenuous BS I'm talking about.
Old 14th May 2019, 05:51 PM   #1759
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Evidence?

This right here is the kind of disingenuous BS I'm talking about.
It's a metaphor for his base excusing away every damn thing he does no matter what. Lying on a scale never seen before in presidential history? Oh, well...every politician lies!

You want disingenuous BS? Look to your own posts.
Old 14th May 2019, 05:53 PM   #1760
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
It's a metaphor for his base excusing away every damn thing he does no matter what. Lying on a scale never seen before in presidential history? Oh, well...every politician lies!

You want disingenuous BS? Look to your own posts.
OLOL..

Barack Obama droned a bunch of folks in his first term. Do you think that jeopardized his reelection?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics