ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags anti-semitism charges , Ilhan Omar , Kevin McCarthy , Minnesota politics , Twitter incidents

Old 11th February 2019, 10:38 AM   #121
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
Twitchy is like Breitbart for people who are in a hurry to get their racism.
Twitchy is a site that quotes to and links to tweets on twitter.

Which in this case, as we have seen, links to the type of bigoted comments from the two Congresshaters under discussion.

/chuckled that linking to Twitchy gets one rung up as a racist: race grifting at its finest.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 10:39 AM   #122
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Couldn't see what was anti-semetic, or anti-semitic even, there.

Could you clarify?
Clarifying would expose the lie, so instead we have to distract.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 10:42 AM   #123
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
https://news.grabien.com/story-rep-i...witter-rampage

A series of tweets sent Sunday night from Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) are another addition for the latter category.

The tweets began after a writer for the Intercept, Glenn Greenwald, posted a story about Rep. Kevin McCarthy “threatening punishment” of Rep. Omar and Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.) “over their criticisms of Israel.” (As CNN’s Jake Tapper noted, McCarthy’s comments were actually directed at “what he sees as anti-Semitic rhetoric from Reps. Omar and Tlaib.”)

Rep. Omar responded to Greenwald’s post with, “It’s all about the Benjamins baby”

Congresswoman @IlhanMN just retweeted a criticism of her anti-Semitic tweet which said that “she might as well call us hook-nosed.” In response to the escalating anger over her tweets, Rep. Omar said she’s the victim of “smears.”

More recently Rep. Omar used Holocaust Remembrance Day to downplay the Holocaust"
Get used to it. As we continue importing Muslims into the country and allowing the ones who are here to breed, they're going to gain political power. Pretty soon saying that lobbyists influence politicians through campaign contributions won't even be considered antisemitic.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 10:43 AM   #124
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post

Which in this case, as we have seen, links to the type of bigoted comments from the two Congresshaters under discussion.
They mostly seemed to be tweets on Twitter by someone called AG Conservative, who isn't the Congressperson in question.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 10:44 AM   #125
Belz...
Fiend God

Seems to me like they make quite a few comments beyond just quoting, and that they have an obvious slant.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/twitchy/

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 10:44 AM   #126
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
Get used to it. As we continue importing Muslims into the country and allowing the ones who are here to breed, they're going to gain political power. Pretty soon saying that lobbyists influence politicians through campaign contributions won't even be considered antisemitic.
I love the smell of white genocide panic in the morning.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 10:45 AM   #127
Belz...
Fiend God

Pretty soon saying that lobbyists influence politicians through campaign contributions won't even be considered antisemitic.
- "Get money out of politics!"
- "NAZI!"

Old 11th February 2019, 10:46 AM   #128
Donal
Illuminator

I won't lie, you had me going for a second.
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 10:51 AM   #129
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Yes, actually, it really is antisemitic when no equivalent questioning is done about the active anti-Israel lobbies.
Yeah, I agree. It's like condemning Dr. Mengele for conducting twins studies without an equivalent condemnation of Jewish adoption agencies.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 10:51 AM   #130
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

BTW, cam any American explain why saying "Democrat" rather than "Democratic" is supposed to be an insult? I can't work it out, but it does seem to be a thing.
Old 11th February 2019, 10:54 AM   #131
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Whether we should institute BDS is different than suggesting we should implement it as Anti-semitic. Being against some of Israel's policies does not equal racism. And I find suggesting it to be as a subtle or not so subtle attack on the freedom of speech.
You're still avoiding the actual issue here. Being against some of Israel's policies does not equal BDS. Being opposed to BDS does not equal being in favor of all of Israel's policies. And most importantly, being against this anti-BDS legislation because of free speech concerns doesn't equal accusing supporters of the legislation as being bought off by the Jews.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 10:55 AM   #132
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
They mostly seemed to be tweets on Twitter by someone called AG Conservative, who isn't the Congressperson in question.
Is that what they seem? Because they are tweets that retweet or link various articles, tweets, other various citations to the bigoted attitude of the two.

Think of it as an index to their anti-Semitic comments
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 10:55 AM   #133
Donal
Illuminator

Apparently, it was a thing during GWB's time when some Republicans thought it was funny. I remember it being controversial and not understanding why. Like, your failure to grasp the English language is an insult to me?
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 10:56 AM   #134
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

In the US, we have the tweedledee and tweedledum parties, as relating to Israel and Palestine. Even in Israel, the scope of the debate is broader.
Old 11th February 2019, 10:57 AM   #135
Donal
Illuminator

You're still avoiding the actual issue here. Being against some of Israel's policies does not equal BDS. Being opposed to BDS does not equal being in favor of all of Israel's policies. And most importantly, being against this anti-BDS legislation because of free speech concerns doesn't equal accusing supporters of the legislation as being bought off by the Jews.
And pointing out the lobbying group for the Israeli government is not blaming "THA JOOOZ!"
Old 11th February 2019, 11:00 AM   #136
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Is that what they seem? Because they are tweets that retweet or link various articles, tweets, other various citations to the bigoted attitude of the two.

Think of it as an index to their anti-Semitic comments
So what was anti-semitic? I couldn't see anything.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 11:03 AM   #137
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
And pointing out the lobbying group for the Israeli government is not blaming "THA JOOOZ!"
She wasn't simply pointing out that lobbying exists.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 11:07 AM   #138
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
BTW, cam any American explain why saying "Democrat" rather than "Democratic" is supposed to be an insult? I can't work it out, but it does seem to be a thing.
If you listen to much conservative talk radio (and I pity you if you do) you'll find that they don't like to call anything they're opposed to by its actual name.

Trump loves this as well.

It's not entirely about being a direct insult, its about the way we define words, both connotation and denotation.

I'll give you an example that worked very well. If you listen to talk radio, you may not hear much about "The ACA", but you heard a whole lot about "Obamacare" and Obamacare was defined as being death panels and doom. When neutral or left leaning sources talked about the ACA, that didn't even penetrate radio listener's conceptions of Obamacare. The new word created a new definition. In fact, a significant number of them like the ACA and HATE Obamacare and are unaware they're the same thing.

Renaming means redefining and exclusive access to that new definition.

Of course, the effect is more obvious and stark with the names of legislation like the ACA, but they're going for the same thing with "Democrat" and all the cute little nicknames they come up with for their opponents.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON

Last edited by Cavemonster; 11th February 2019 at 11:08 AM.
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 11:10 AM   #139
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I might not be up to speed with this sort of stuff, but how in the "Benjamins" tweet anti-semitic? Also, could you explain how she downplayed the Holocaust?
This is actually a play on a rap reference. "All About the Benjamins" is a song by Sean Combs, with Biggie Smalls grafted in since he had been killed before it was recorded - the music notes emoji she added are a pretty big hint that she was being flippant. I't also, possibly, a reference to Benjamin Netanyahu.

Possibly.

The cries of anti-semitism are pretty rich coming from any Dolt 45 supporter - you know, the guy that tweeted a star of David over a pile of money while slamming Soros, and who said that there were good people marching with the Nazi cosplayers in Virginia. But from Jewish people...I can see why they'd consider it given the stereotypes, but I don't think that's her point.

And I'll note that Rep. Omar is also a strong critic of the Saudi government, to the point of pushing a BDS campaign against that regime as well due to their own human rights abuses.
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 11:13 AM   #140
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
If you listen to much conservative talk radio (and I pity you if you do) you'll find that they don't like to call anything they're opposed to by its actual name.
You mean like calling illegal aliens "undocumented immigrants"?

Or is it more like calling military deployments "overseas contingency operations"?
Old 11th February 2019, 11:14 AM   #141
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
This is actually a play on a rap reference. "All About the Benjamins" is a song by Sean Combs, with Biggie Smalls grafted in since he had been killed before it was recorded - the music notes emoji she added are a pretty big hint that she was being flippant. I't also, possibly, a reference to Benjamin Netanyahu.

Possibly.
I still don't see how it's anti-semitic, even though I have good ears and would be expected to hear dog whistles.

Old 11th February 2019, 11:15 AM   #142
Belz...
Fiend God

Or is it more like calling military deployments "overseas contingency operations"?
There's really no doubt that both sides engage in it quite a lot. Human nature, I suppose.

Old 11th February 2019, 11:21 AM   #143
ahhell
Master Poster

I'm from the US, I didn't realize it was thing until I joined this forum. I've had it explained to me, read articles about it and I still don't get it.

The short version, its officially the "Democratic Party". Some Republicans using it as an insult, goes back to the 50s, when some Repubs decided it was funny or something. Prior to that, it was considered to be fairly neutral going back to the 19th century. So, some Repubs use it because they think its an insult, as a result some dems seem to think its an insult and get up in arms about it. I'm not sure which side is dumber. Meanwhile, the vast majority of Dems and Reps don't even notice or care.

Last edited by ahhell; 11th February 2019 at 11:24 AM.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 11:23 AM   #144
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

There's really no doubt that both sides engage in it quite a lot. Human nature, I suppose.
Pretty much.
Old 11th February 2019, 11:23 AM   #145
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

"Democratic" is the entire system of government. It feels weird to me to use it as describe just one party.

It's the "Pro-life / Pro-choice" nonsense. Using an extremely broad term to apply to only one side of a particular issue.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 11:23 AM   #146
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Not exactly.

When you ask a conservative why they said "Democrat Party" they bat their eyes and ask "Whatever do you mean?".

When you ask a liberal why they say "undocumented immigrant" they will explain to you openly why they think that term should be used.

This is not to say that people on the left never use sneaky language tricks. You just picked a poor example.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 11:28 AM   #147
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
"And as long as the other side is making mistakes, I don't have face anything wrong my side is doing!"
Deborah Lipstadt of "Denial" fame ,inher new book "Anti Semitism",devotes a whole section about the myopia on both aides of the political spectrum when it comes to anti Semitism,seeing it only on the other side,and simply ignoring it on the their own side.
And if anybody thinks there is no such thing as left wing Anti Semitism, read Lipstadt's book.
I think Lipstast make a strong case that the BDS movement, though not anti semtic in and of itself,is shot thorugh with Anti Semitism.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 11:30 AM   #148
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I still don't see how it's anti-semitic, even though I have good ears and would be expected to hear dog whistles.
It's the whole "Evil Jewish Conspiracy" angle.
Yes, Jews are probably a bit sensitive about this kind of thing. Two Thousand Years of Christian Love have sort of made them nervous.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 11:30 AM   #149
Belz...
Fiend God

Pretty much.
Amazing how we can switch to virtual throat slashing in one thread to casually agreeing in another in the space of a few minutes.

Old 11th February 2019, 11:30 AM   #150
ahhell
Master Poster

When you ask a conservative why they said "Democrat Party" they bat their eyes and ask "Whatever do you mean?".
I'd bet if you ask the majority of Dems this questions, they'd also say, "What are you talking about ?"

I also suspect that if you ask the Reps who do it deliberately, they'd likely answer honestly. When I've googled this to figure it out, there's plenty of examples of Reps doing exactly that.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2019, 11:31 AM   #151
Belz...
Fiend God

"Democratic" is the entire system of government. It feels weird to me to use it as describe just one party.
Same thing for "Republican".

Old 11th February 2019, 11:33 AM   #152
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
I also suspect that if you ask the Reps who do it deliberately, they'd likely answer honestly.
That has not been the case on this forum.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Old 11th February 2019, 11:33 AM   #153
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
In the US, we have the tweedledee and tweedledum parties, as relating to Israel and Palestine. Even in Israel, the scope of the debate is broader.
That is because Israel has pretty wide support across the political spectrum.
Attacking Israel is,outside a few heavily left leaning districts,is simply bad politics.
The problem is lack of nuance on both sides.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 11th February 2019, 11:34 AM   #154
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
It's the whole "Evil Jewish Conspiracy" angle.
Yes, Jews are probably a bit sensitive about this kind of thing. Two Thousand Years of Christian Love have sort of made them nervous.
Yeah but false positives don't make their case.

Old 11th February 2019, 11:35 AM   #155
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, the way to fight bigotry is with other forms of bigotry.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 11th February 2019, 11:36 AM   #156
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah but false positives don't make their case.
It not's logical, it emotional.
How people feel generally impacts how they behave more then what they think.
We are not a race of Mr Spocks.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 11th February 2019, 11:37 AM   #157
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Same thing for "Republican".
I honestly do wish the parties had chosen less "generic systems of government" names. But that's a minor side issue in the grand scheme of things.
Old 11th February 2019, 11:38 AM   #158
Belz...
Fiend God

I honestly do wish the parties had chosen less "generic systems of government" names.
"The Dark Lords of the Universe" and "Protectors of the Oppressed" sure sounds great, but it probably wouldn't be as politically viable.

Old 11th February 2019, 11:40 AM   #159
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I don't hate Jews. Some of my best friends are Jewish. I do hate religion and it's us vs them mentality.

Like political ideology does not have us vs them mentality.
Hating Religion is a exercise in futility. It's not going away any time soon.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 11th February 2019, 11:47 AM   #160
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

To be honest I see it more as anti-politicians who support Israel. Does anybody really believe that a lot of members of congress only support Israel because AIPAC fills their coffers? Isn't it much more likely that they support Israel, and therefore the support from AIPAC comes?
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics