ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Andrew McCabe , donald trump , George Papadopoulos , Michael Cohen , Mueller investigation , Paul Manafort , Robert Mueller , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections

Closed Thread
Old 19th February 2019, 08:39 PM   #281
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
There are two reasons the GOP allow Trump to remain:

1. Tax cuts for the rich; and
2. Supreme Court nominations from their preferred list.
Allow Trump to remain? How would they get rid of him?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th February 2019, 09:02 PM   #282
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Allow Trump to remain? How would they get rid of him?
An impeachment trial?

Don't you think the Dems would support that?
Old 19th February 2019, 09:05 PM   #283
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Stone links his prosecution to an alleged coup attempt against Trump by a "globalist cabal"

https://www.mediamatters.org/blog/20...attempt/222912

.... and The Stupid continues and grows

Roger Stone is beginning to make Truthers look intelligent.
Old 19th February 2019, 09:48 PM   #284
TofuFighter
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
My belief is that the picture with the crosshairs was accident/an oversight, and that Stone just happened to pick the first image that he came across and posted it without paying too much attention. (i.e. no specific threat intended.) The reason? Because I can't see any real benefit to doing that to a judge, and we've seen other people make similar mistakes.

That doesn't mean I'm absolving Stone. After all, he should be keeping his mouth shut and not posting ANYTHING about the judge or the case. Plus, as another poster pointed out, the source of that particular image seems to be linked to a web site that posts anti-semetiic nonsense... If someone is making references to those types of sites, you should be questioning their integrity. (e.g. in a "do you really read playboy for the articles" sort of way.)
I don't think it was accidental, but neither do I think those are crosshairs. More likely, to me, that Stone's giving a nod to the creators in order to generate support. That symbol looks suspiciously similar to the stormfront logo. I haven't caught up on the whole thread and did some news skimming but didn't find the information I was looking for. Does anyone here know if it has been established yet which website the picture originated from?
Old 19th February 2019, 09:56 PM   #285
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
I'm sure there is a perfectly good reason why this would not be impeachable.

I'm really struggling why the Republican party aren't also working to impeach him.
Have you paid attention to the worldview that they've so painstakingly built for the kind of people who favor Fox News out of lies, disinformation, and general BS? They've invested so much into that that they really don't have much of a viable exit strategy that wouldn't reveal how incredibly irresponsible and depraved the major figures in the Republican Party have become.

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

I can't really think of any benefit Stone or Trump would have gotten by getting labeled as Nazis. So why do you think he published a photo of a them wearing swastikas? The idea that he just reused the picture without looking closely at it seems to make more sense than any sort of secret messaging. "Look at us... we are all nazis!"
Benefit? Isn't making liberal heads explode benefit enough? It would hardly be the only time that the right has intentionally invoked Nazi symbology for the "fun" of it, either. The kind of "fun" they will then pass off as a "joke," despite the disturbing similarities between things that they propose and fascism, and then harangue the "left" for overreacting to their "joke." Not that it's likely to convince many on the "left" so much as it will trigger the confirmation bias and persecution complex of the right.
Old 19th February 2019, 10:11 PM   #286
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by gregthehammer View Post
I don't get this line of reasoning. Wouldn't any bog standard Republican offer the same things. It's not like Hillary would suddenly be put into power.
Mr President, this is our preferred nomination for the judge.
Ok, I will forward it on.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th February 2019, 11:16 PM   #287
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Have you paid attention to the worldview that they've so painstakingly built for the kind of people who favor Fox News out of lies, disinformation, and general BS? They've invested so much into that that they really don't have much of a viable exit strategy that wouldn't reveal how incredibly irresponsible and depraved the major figures in the Republican Party have become.
Perhaps themselves starting impeachment proceedings might be a viable exit strategy.
Old 20th February 2019, 12:09 AM   #288
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

My belief is that the picture with the crosshairs was accident/an oversight, and that Stone just happened to pick the first image that he came across and posted it without paying too much attention. (i.e. no specific threat intended.) The reason? Because I can't see any real benefit to doing that to a judge, and we've seen other people make similar mistakes.
It certainly is bizarre. I’m not sure what he hoped to gain. I think he was just in a rage.

Stone’s remarks after he posted also made it seem like he was confused. He seemed to think people thought his worded message was being interpreted as a threat rather than the picture. I’m not buying it.

When concerns were raised about it being a threat, it was obvious it was in reference to he crosshairs in the picture. Stone playing dumb on that issue is not convincing.

He even used the word “hitman” in his message, although in reference to Comey. He seemed to be sending a message: “Hitman, crosshairs, judge…are you second amendment solution people picking this up?”

The apology is actually an apology from his lawyers done with his permission. Sure, it has a signed apology from Stone, but the letter says the lawyers are apologizing. Not that Stone asked them to submit the apology. Or even that they are apologizing on his behalf or at his request. Only with his permission.

Stone claims to be a master of influence and control. A image of crosshairs next to the judge is not something we would expect such a person to easily overlook.

The picture appears to have originated at fbcoverup.com (which I have not gone to because the web site is not safe). It is similar to a number of (older) images that have a photo of a liberal person with the background altered to include the crosshairs and “Corruption Central” and some colored letters at the bottom and some have a skull symbol with “Attorney” and “Toxic”. The image is somewhat different in that the face is larger in the image for the judge than in the rest.

The image probably came from either americans4innovation.blogspot (which appears to be an alt-right conspiracy site) or therussophile.org (a Russian news aggregator). This is not some common random picture. A Google image search using dates prior to 2/18/2019 gives more than a dozen photos of the judge with the two from the sites above being way down in the middle of the page.

The date of the blog article associated with that image is 2/4/2019. The wayback machine has no saved record for the therussophile site. The first save for the americans4innovation site is 2/10/2019. It saved changes to that site on 2/17, 2/18, and 2/19.

The image that Stone posted is a cropped image of the image on those sites. I can find no instance of the cropped image prior to 2/18. That indicates that Stone (or someone working for Stone) created the cropped image.
Heaven forbid someone reads these words and claims to be adversely affected by them, thus ensuring a barrage of lawsuits filed under the guise of protecting the unknowing victims who were stupid enough to read this and believe it! - Kevin Trudeau
DevilsAdvocate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 12:13 AM   #289
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Perhaps themselves starting impeachment proceedings might be a viable exit strategy.
I have been saying it since Trump got elected that the GOP needs to cut out the cancer by itself, or it will be tainted for decades to come.

But I fear Stegno is right in that Trumpers have invested too much of their identity into The Donald to admit to themselves and the world that they have been conned.
Old 20th February 2019, 12:23 AM   #290
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
It certainly is bizarre. I’m not sure what he hoped to gain. I think he was just in a rage.

Stone’s remarks after he posted also made it seem like he was confused. He seemed to think people thought his worded message was being interpreted as a threat rather than the picture. I’m not buying it.

When concerns were raised about it being a threat, it was obvious it was in reference to he crosshairs in the picture. Stone playing dumb on that issue is not convincing.

He even used the word “hitman” in his message, although in reference to Comey. He seemed to be sending a message: “Hitman, crosshairs, judge…are you second amendment solution people picking this up?”

The apology is actually an apology from his lawyers done with his permission. Sure, it has a signed apology from Stone, but the letter says the lawyers are apologizing. Not that Stone asked them to submit the apology. Or even that they are apologizing on his behalf or at his request. Only with his permission.

Stone claims to be a master of influence and control. A image of crosshairs next to the judge is not something we would expect such a person to easily overlook.

The picture appears to have originated at fbcoverup.com (which I have not gone to because the web site is not safe). It is similar to a number of (older) images that have a photo of a liberal person with the background altered to include the crosshairs and “Corruption Central” and some colored letters at the bottom and some have a skull symbol with “Attorney” and “Toxic”. The image is somewhat different in that the face is larger in the image for the judge than in the rest.

The image probably came from either americans4innovation.blogspot (which appears to be an alt-right conspiracy site) or therussophile.org (a Russian news aggregator). This is not some common random picture. A Google image search using dates prior to 2/18/2019 gives more than a dozen photos of the judge with the two from the sites above being way down in the middle of the page.

The date of the blog article associated with that image is 2/4/2019. The wayback machine has no saved record for the therussophile site. The first save for the americans4innovation site is 2/10/2019. It saved changes to that site on 2/17, 2/18, and 2/19.

The image that Stone posted is a cropped image of the image on those sites. I can find no instance of the cropped image prior to 2/18. That indicates that Stone (or someone working for Stone) created the cropped image.
Stacko has an earlier example

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 01:45 AM   #291
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Look, threatening to kill the judge is a clever strategy to have a mistrial: how can that judge still be impartial?
Nope. From the Popehat article:

Quote:
Some have speculated that Stone, always fumbling for an angle, may have wanted to force Jackson to withdraw from the case. That won’t work. Federal courts have long held that a party can’t insult or antagonize a judge and then demand her recusal on the theory that the insults have biased her. That’s why President Trump couldn’t force United States District Judge Gonzalo Curiel off his case with his bigoted and boorish claims that Curiel’s ethnic background disqualified him from hearing the Trump University case. In fact, a party can’t even force a judge off a case by threatening her—and some have tried. The reason is obvious: If a litigant could force a judge to drop a case with deliberate misbehavior, then insults and threats would fly and dockets would descend into chaos.
Old 20th February 2019, 02:08 AM   #292
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Stacko has an earlier example
Thanks.

That seems to be from 2/8 originating for aim4truth aka American Intelligence Media.

In any case, it was not a widely available image that would have just come up on an image search for a picture of the judge, and it was cropped and does not appear to have been done so until Stone's post.
Heaven forbid someone reads these words and claims to be adversely affected by them, thus ensuring a barrage of lawsuits filed under the guise of protecting the unknowing victims who were stupid enough to read this and believe it! - Kevin Trudeau
DevilsAdvocate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 02:11 AM   #293
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Stone links his prosecution to an alleged coup attempt against Trump by a "globalist cabal"

https://www.mediamatters.org/blog/20...attempt/222912
I mean, I know Trump and those around him aren't the brightest, but haven't Stone's lawyers, at least, told him to shut the **** up? This is moronic, even compared to what you'd expect from a Trump associate.
Old 20th February 2019, 02:30 AM   #294
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Nope. From the Popehat article:
I admit that it doesn't work in an actual court.

But it might do wonders in the Court of Public Opinion, which is all that Trump needs to justify a Pardon for Stone.
Old 20th February 2019, 02:40 AM   #295
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Doubtful. At least not without a bunch of preparation to shift things from Fox News and the rest of right-wing media. At this point, them starting impeachment proceedings would be fairly likely to get them branded as RINO's, traitors, etc.
Old 20th February 2019, 02:41 AM   #296
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweets

Geraldo Rivera
‏Verified account
@GeraldoRivera
Geraldo Rivera Retweeted Mediaite
This is crazy scary. A cabal of unelected bureaucrats-angered & upset that @realDonaldTrump fired their boss-whispered about overthrowing him. Has this ever happened? Why isn’t the mainstream seeing this for what it is. This is malignant arrogance from a man fired for lying.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 02:44 AM   #297
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/...75418756116482

Quote:
We had to cut this for length, but McCabe told me that his guess is that the White House "immediately knew the steps I took after Jim got fired, and the cases I opened" because of Nunes. "When I was surprised to see Nunes at the briefing, I knew it would happen very quickly."

And here is what McCabe says about this in the book: "Now that the Gang of Eight was a crowd of two dozen in the room, I thought, the chance of this not getting back to the president was basically zero. Then Devin Nunes walked in, and the chance was less than zero."

McCabe, in his book, on the Gang of 8 briefing: "Rosenstein went to talk to Nunes, came back, told me, Nunes is staying, he says he’s not recused from this, he refuses to leave...At the end of the day it’s his recusal, I can’t enforce it. We can’t kick him out of the room."
Old 20th February 2019, 03:06 AM   #298
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Hhmmm, if they decide to make a live action Futurama he'd just need a dye job (and I'm sure the Donald can recommend someone for that).

https://futurama.fandom.com/wiki/Walt
I always thought more, Professor "Good news, everyone!" Farnsworth.
Old 20th February 2019, 05:37 AM   #299
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
I don't think it was accidental, but neither do I think those are crosshairs. More likely, to me, that Stone's giving a nod to the creators in order to generate support. That symbol looks suspiciously similar to the stormfront logo. I haven't caught up on the whole thread and did some news skimming but didn't find the information I was looking for. Does anyone here know if it has been established yet which website the picture originated from?
http://cosmicconvergence.org/?p=30951

YW

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 06:02 AM   #300
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Wow, Hillary is their ultimate boogeyman! I wonder what they think she doesn't control.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 06:06 AM   #301
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Hillary is a super-villain, she's so powerful that she controls everything.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 06:21 AM   #302
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Hillary is a super-villain, she's so powerful that she controls everything.
That could explain why some of our resident conservatives keep bringing her up even though she'll never be a candidate again.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 06:40 AM   #303
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Wow, Hillary is their ultimate boogeyman! I wonder what they think she doesn't control.
I'm incredibly fascinated by that article. The suggestion is that because the Clinton Foundation invested 1 million in a charity fund, everyone must recuse themselves if they have investments with....fidelity Investments.....all 27 million people. I would love to talk to a person that has that stance.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 06:59 AM   #304
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
I'm incredibly fascinated by that article. The suggestion is that because the Clinton Foundation invested 1 million in a charity fund, everyone must recuse themselves if they have investments with....fidelity Investments.....all 27 million people. I would love to talk to a person that has that stance.
It makes more sense when you consider that she is also a Witch and the head of her coven.
Old 20th February 2019, 07:20 AM   #305
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

That could explain why some of our resident conservatives keep bringing her up even though she'll never be a candidate again.
I have noticed that too.

It rather reminds me of how Napoleon blamed the exiled Snowball for everything that went wrong on 'Animal Farm'.
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 08:06 AM   #306
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

It's difficult to say. More disturbing is the idea that a Trump advisor uses such load of eye-watering wingnuttery as a source.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 08:41 AM   #307
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

Annnnd my IQ just dropped 10 points.

Originally Posted by Cosmic Convergence
THEY USED INVISIBLE TEXT TO HIDE THE CONNECTION!
oh my
Old 20th February 2019, 09:01 AM   #308
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

“Andrew McCabe gave absolutely no evidence of any threat to substantiate his ABSURD claim.”
@LouDobbs
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 09:06 AM   #309
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

“If thinking that James Comey is not a good FBI Director is tantamount to being an agent of Russia, than just list all the people that are agents of Russia - Chuck Schumer, Nancy Pelosi, Rod Rosenstein who wrote the memo to get rid of Comey, the Inspector General....” Trey Gowdy
Old 20th February 2019, 10:33 AM   #310
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by gregthehammer View Post
I don't get this line of reasoning. Wouldn't any bog standard Republican offer the same things. It's not like Hillary would suddenly be put into power.
Yeah, but removing him now would be admitting that they were wrong when they supported him for those two reasons.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 11:05 AM   #311
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Clearly there was a conspiracy here! A conspiracy to enforce the law.
Lock themselves up!
Old 20th February 2019, 11:35 AM   #312
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

They've named Justice Roberts as being "in on it". Someone's worried there's a conservative SCOTUS member not on their side.
Old 20th February 2019, 12:04 PM   #313
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Posting links to websites like this should come with a health warning.
Old 20th February 2019, 12:13 PM   #314
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

“If thinking that James Comey is not a good FBI Director is tantamount to being an agent of Russia, than just list all the people that are agents of Russia - Chuck Schumer, Nancy Pelosi, Rod Rosenstein who wrote the memo to get rid of Comey, the Inspector General....” Trey Gowdy
What Der Trumpenführer neglects to say is WHY Rosenstein wrote the memo? Very revealing!
Old 20th February 2019, 12:49 PM   #315
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

No, you ******* moron. It's because you SAID you fired him because of the Russia investigation. We're only taking you on your word.
Old 20th February 2019, 01:16 PM   #316
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
No, you ******* moron. It's because you SAID you fired him because of the Russia investigation. We're only taking you on your word.
You don't know how it works.

Ponderingturtle will be able to educate you

If you claim that Trump lies, that means that you can't believe him if he incriminates himself.

Meanwhile, everyone lies, so if witnesses dispute anything Trump asserts about any meeting, it's just two competing claims and you can't base anything on it.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending

Last edited by jimbob; 20th February 2019 at 02:16 PM. Reason: personal pronoun
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 01:37 PM   #317
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
In Trump's defense we can't trust Trump to tell the truth about what Trump is doing in regards to Trump.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 01:40 PM   #318
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Justice Department preparing for Mueller report as early as next week
Originally Posted by CNN
Attorney General Bill Barr is preparing to announce as early as next week the completion of special counsel Robert Mueller's Russia investigation, with plans for Barr to submit to Congress soon after a summary of Mueller's confidential report, according to people familiar with the plans.

The preparations are the clearest indication yet that Mueller is nearly done with his almost two-year investigation.
Old 20th February 2019, 01:42 PM   #319
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

Any legal eagles here that can answer a question? Should the AG decide not to turn the report over to Congress or make it public, is there anything the House could do to force it to happen?

Seems to me that making this report go away is Trump's best chance of surviving the scandal, so I expect intense pressure to be placed on this report not being seen.
Old 20th February 2019, 01:43 PM   #320
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Whew!

I sure do hope that this is actually the case.
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics