ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th April 2019, 06:53 PM   #1
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

An open letter to Michelle Obama

Yes, I know you detest politics.

Yes, I know you’ve said you will never stand for office.

Yes, there’s going to be a but…

The “but” is that you are probably the only person who can “save” the planet. Were Alexadria Ocasio-Cortez a decade older, it might well have fallen on her shoulders, but in 2019, there is only you. None of the current Democratic candidates are or will be able to attract the kind of support needed to rid your country of a would-be demagogue.

Only you have the power, the prestige and the implacable desire for equality to satisfy the American people, win the presidency and institute a policy of change for the better that will benefit the entire world.

You don’t need me to tell you your current President is on a course that will ensure the destruction of the human ecosystem; you certainly don’t need me to tell you he is also enabling racists, increasing internal inequality and badly handling foreign affairs, giving tacit and open approval to the worst despots.

He, his background team of cronies and profligate billionaires, and their policies of raping the earth and the American people must change.

The only way for that to happen is to have a leader who unites, who is clear of scandal, and who is respected for their honesty. No background of dirty jokes or racist comments, but someone who is equally at home explaining to kids why growing vegetables is fun and healthy, and someone who appeals to all parts of the socio-economic scale. (Well, except billionaires, and they don’t need your help.)

Please, re-think your position and commit to running for the Democratic nomination.

I hate psychics, but I’d gladly give my prediction right now that your fundraising – all from small donors – would create a new record by an order of magnitude. You are internationally admired - please don’t take this badly – and you’re not guilty of the same mistakes your husband made in office; there are no pics of you laughing on the golf course, but plenty of you being a mother and friend to children.

If there’s an antidote to a vile, white, sexist, entitled racist, it’s surely a woman of colour, and I don’t see anyone else in your country with the position and popularity to take that mantle on yet.

As we’d say in New Zealand, be a good bastard and have a go.

I’d like to think the example shown by our own Prime Minister – who got the job in the space of ten weeks – would provide an example of what a strong, empathetic leader can achieve.

Stand up and let your daughters – and hundreds of millions of other children around the planet – grow in a cleaner, happier, more peaceful world.

Don’t Be Better, Be Best!

Alan Charman
Auckland, NZ
Old 9th April 2019, 07:28 PM   #2
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Is this Michell Obama relate to Barack Obama? His brother?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2019, 07:29 PM   #3
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

"would-be demagogue"?

Would be???
Old 9th April 2019, 07:46 PM   #4
The Big Dog

Great satire!

The part about AOC was classic! I lost it right there.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2019, 07:57 PM   #5
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
The “but” is that you are probably the only person who can “save” the planet.
Why does a self-professed atheist need a messianic figure?
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2019, 08:06 PM   #6
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, well you might start by spelling her name right. It's a small thing, but an important one.

Quote:
Were Alexadria Ocasio-Cortez a decade older, it might well have fallen on her shoulders
Oh dear, have you drunk that kool-aid?
Old 9th April 2019, 08:07 PM   #7
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Nominated for Idiotic Thread of the Day.
Old 9th April 2019, 08:28 PM   #8
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

It's not the planet that needs saving, it's homo sapiens, but I'm afraid it's too late. I think there's a universal law that "intelligent" civilizations do themselves in, and we're on the wrong side of the turning point. If anyone does visit this planet someday, perhaps they'll find the skeleton of the last human, still clinging to his sticks and bonds.
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2019, 08:49 PM   #9
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
It's not the planet that needs saving, it's homo sapiens, but I'm afraid it's too late.
Felis Cattus is already our master.
Old 9th April 2019, 10:21 PM   #10
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
I lost it right there.
Mission accomplished!
Old 9th April 2019, 10:31 PM   #11
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

The “but” is that you are probably the only person who can “save” the planet. Were Alexadria Ocasio-Cortez a decade older, it might well have fallen on her shoulders, but in 2019, there is only you. None of the current Democratic candidates are or will be able to attract the kind of support needed to rid your country of a would-be demagogue.

Only you have the power, the prestige and the implacable desire for equality to satisfy the American people, win the presidency and institute a policy of change for the better that will benefit the entire world.

You don’t need me to tell you your current President is on a course that will ensure the destruction of the human ecosystem; you certainly don’t need me to tell you he is also enabling racists, increasing internal inequality and badly handling foreign affairs, giving tacit and open approval to the worst despots.

He, his background team of cronies and profligate billionaires, and their policies of raping the earth and the American people must change.

The only way for that to happen is to have a leader who unites, who is clear of scandal, and who is respected for their honesty. No background of dirty jokes or racist comments, but someone who is equally at home explaining to kids why growing vegetables is fun and healthy, and someone who appeals to all parts of the socio-economic scale. (Well, except billionaires, and they don’t need your help.)

Please, re-think your position and commit to running for the Democratic nomination.

I hate psychics, but I’d gladly give my prediction right now that your fundraising – all from small donors – would create a new record by an order of magnitude. You are internationally admired - please don’t take this badly – and you’re not guilty of the same mistakes your husband made in office; there are no pics of you laughing on the golf course, but plenty of you being a mother and friend to children.

If there’s an antidote to a vile, white, sexist, entitled racist, it’s surely a woman of colour, and I don’t see anyone else in your country with the position and popularity to take that mantle on yet.

I’d like to think the example shown by our own Prime Minister – who got the job in the space of ten weeks – would provide an example of what a strong, empathetic leader can achieve.

Stand up and let your daughters – and hundreds of millions of other children around the planet – grow in a cleaner, happier, more peaceful world.

Alan Charman
Auckland, NZ
a) Why only her?

Is there some reason you think only a woman can?

b) Cortez seems like a nice person, but she was a bit late to the queing when they were handing out intelligence

c) Apart from about 200 inquiries Ardern hasn't done anything
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2019, 11:00 PM   #12
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
a) Why only her?

b) Cortez seems like a nice person, but she was a bit late to the queing when they were handing out intelligence

c) Apart from about 200 inquiries Ardern hasn't done anything
Under 35.

and if you think AOC is not intelligent, think again. She is intelligent enough that the Old White Men of the GOP are bloody terrified of her. She is also very savvy, very smart, and has a CRAPLOAD of young people behind her... they are the future of the world, and it will be theirs soon enough.

The world is a changin'; people like Trump, McConnell, Schumer, Nadler, Grassley, Meadows... they will be distant memories, irrelevancies consigned to the bad old days.
I'm one of those Old White Men myself, but I can see what's coming. Our children, our grandchildren and our great-grandchildren will look back at what we did in our tenure as custodians of this planet, and they they will not look upon us kindly for what we have done.

I don't think Michelle Obama as US President is a silly idea. She is eminently more qualified for the job than the steaming pile of criminal excrement currently squatting at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave... for starters, she is actually a member of the human race, which means she would never endorse or allow a policy of dragging children away from their parents and locking them up in cages.

Last edited by smartcooky; 9th April 2019 at 11:14 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2019, 11:14 PM   #13
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Under 35.

and if you think AOC is not intelligent, think again.

I don't think Michelle Obama as US President is a silly idea. She is eminently more qualified for the job than the steaming pile of criminal excrement currently squatting at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave... for starters, she is actually a member of the human race, which means she would never endorse or allow a policy of dragging children away from their parents and locking them up in cages.
I agree she would make a decent president.

And she has the double whammy of bringing with her a partner who has been one and knows the ins and outs, and has her own personal experience as partner of one.

Just don't get why Atheist seems to imply it has to be a woman to fix the orange idiots mess.

Doesn't even have to be a democrat
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2019, 11:19 PM   #14
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I agree she would make a decent president.

And she has the double whammy of bringing with her a partner who has been one and knows the ins and outs, and has her own personal experience as partner of one.

Just don't get why Atheist seems to imply it has to be a woman to fix the orange idiots mess.

Doesn't even have to be a democrat

I think is HAS to be a Democrat.

The puss-filled wound that is Donald Trump needs to be excised and cauterised. What the orange bastard has done has to be brought into the light - he has to be exposed to the world for the criminal piece of **** that he is. A Republican will NEVER, EVER to that, they will only be interested in covering it all up and pretending none of it ever happened. (Look up Proclamation 4311, on September 8, 1974). That is what we can expect to see if a Republican other than Trump is elected president.

Last edited by smartcooky; 9th April 2019 at 11:27 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2019, 01:33 AM   #15
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Why does a self-professed atheist need a messianic figure?
Where I do make any statement about her being messianic

If you need help setting fire to your strawman, I have matches in my pocket.

a) Why only her?
Kee-rist mate, have you seen the rest of the Democratic field?

No.

You've missed the mark by a long way there.

I think there's a universal law that "intelligent" civilizations do themselves in, and we're on the wrong side of the turning point.
I've been saying that for so long I started a thread on that exact subject at Dawkins' old forum. I do believe intelligence is a dead end.

I also think someone with balls and brains in the seat of the Oval Office could make a huge difference, especially when the incumbent seems to be trying to destroy the species as his personal achievement.
Old 10th April 2019, 01:34 AM   #16
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Is this Michell Obama relate to Barack Obama? His brother?
Cousin from Kenya, but born in Hawaii when his parents were visiting Barack's family.

Mea culpa - shocking mistake. I've asked for it to be fixed.

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
"would-be demagogue"?

Would be???
I was trying to be polite.
Old 10th April 2019, 05:32 AM   #17
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

The idea of another dynasty presidency makes me sick. I'm just exhausted with the spouses or children of successful politicians gliding into positions of power solely on the residual popularity.

Michelle Obama seems like a swell lady. She has never held political office in her own right and has only served in a supporting role for another. She is, simply put, totally unqualified for such a high office. Maybe she should run for a lower office and generate a public identity besides "Obama's wife". Comparing her to AOC is an insult to AOC, who, you know, actually ran a winning political campaign on her own merits.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 10th April 2019 at 05:33 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2019, 06:08 AM   #18
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I guess Barack was just the John the Baptist, and Michelle is the Obamassiah.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2019, 06:52 AM   #19
Belz...
Fiend God

Alan Charman
Auckland, NZ
This should be in Humour.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2019, 06:53 AM   #20
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

The “but” is that you are probably the only person who can “save” the planet.
Have faith, brother The Atheist! Michelle will deliver us!
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2019, 07:08 AM   #21
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

If you need help setting fire to your strawman, I have matches in my pocket.

No.

You've missed the mark by a long way there.

I've been saying that for so long I started a thread on that exact subject at Dawkins' old forum. I do believe intelligence is a dead end.

I also think someone with balls and brains in the seat of the Oval Office could make a huge difference, especially when the incumbent seems to be trying to destroy the species as his personal achievement.
I wouldn't disagree that she would be a good president, and far better than the scumbag we have now. But she, nor anyone else, can "save" mankind. We might be able to pull off the road for awhile, but we're on a one-way trip on the highway to hell.
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2019, 07:09 AM   #22
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

What does a former first lady have to do with... literally anything that's happening right now?
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2019, 07:34 AM   #23
The_Animus
Illuminator

Yes. and many think we have several good candidates running. Would you care to elaborate as to why she is the only one who can save us?
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2019, 07:54 AM   #24
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

The entire tone of the post is worshipful, as of a messiah. You literally say she's going to save the world, and that she's the only one who can. You don't need to use the term, to be clear how you feel about her. And it's very clear that you see her as a messiah figure.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2019, 08:00 AM   #25
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

The Atheist, have you considered sending her an astromech droid, loaded with a hologram of you saying, "Help me, Michelle Obama. You're my only hope."?

---

Also, you may have inadvertently put your real name in the OP. Was that intentional? If not, report the post so the mods can scrub it.
Old 10th April 2019, 08:05 AM   #26
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The_Animus View Post
Yes. and many think we have several good candidates running. Would you care to elaborate as to why she is the only one who can save us?
To be fair, he lists several qualities that he believes are important and unique to Michelle, in the OP. For example:
Quote:
Old 10th April 2019, 08:07 AM   #27
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
What does a former first lady have to do with... literally anything that's happening right now?
She doesn't. That's what makes something like the OP's letter possible. Michelle Obama is a blank slate, upon which one may write whatever qualities one wishes to see in a candidate.
Old 10th April 2019, 08:09 AM   #28
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
To be fair, he lists several qualities that he believes are important and unique to Michelle, in the OP. For example:
The antidote to a vile, sexist, entitled racist is someone who's neither of these things.

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2019, 08:16 AM   #29
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Please no.
Old 10th April 2019, 08:32 AM   #30
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Nominated for Idiotic Thread of the Day.
This
Old 10th April 2019, 08:33 AM   #31
CORed
Philosopher

It's not the planet that needs saving, it's homo sapiens, but I'm afraid it's too late. I think there's a universal law that "intelligent" civilizations do themselves in, and we're on the wrong side of the turning point. If anyone does visit this planet someday, perhaps they'll find the skeleton of the last human, still clinging to his sticks and bonds.
Either that, or they'll find a remnant population (in the tens to hundreds of thousands worldwide) of hunter-gatherers, using scrap steel to make knives and arrow points. Humans are resilient, but industrial civilization is not. However, if industrial civilization collapses, the planet will not support anything close to current population, but I think there is a good chance that a remnant population will scratch out a primitive existence, at the hunter-gatherer, or perhaps subsistence agriculture level.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2019, 08:34 AM   #32
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

She doesn't. That's what makes something like the OP's letter possible. Michelle Obama is a blank slate, upon which one may write whatever qualities one wishes to see in a candidate.
Deja vu.
"I serve as a blank screen on which people of vastly different political stripes project their own views." - Barack Obama, The Audacity of Hope
Old 10th April 2019, 08:40 AM   #33
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

I don't think this will get the audience it truly deserves.

It barely qualifies as an open letter.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2019, 08:40 AM   #34
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
The antidote to a vile, sexist, entitled racist is someone who's neither of these things.
I guess? It's probably debatable, but it's The Atheist's premise, not mine. Take it up with him.
Old 10th April 2019, 08:45 AM   #35
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
and if you think AOC is not intelligent, think again. She is intelligent enough that the Old White Men of the GOP are bloody terrified of her.
You think the GOP are terrified of her? She is manna from heaven, a total lightweight who has managed to infuriate the Dems biggest supporters, the labor unions.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2019, 09:07 AM   #36
Belz...
Fiend God

I guess? It's probably debatable, but it's The Atheist's premise, not mine. Take it up with him.
Didn't I do that in the post you quoted?

Old 10th April 2019, 09:26 AM   #37
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
Please no.
To what?

Please no to Michelle Obama being president?

Please no to Michelle Obama being a candidate?

Please no to Michelle Obama reading this "open letter"?

Because I for one am voting "very yes" on this letter getting the widest possible publication.
Old 10th April 2019, 09:27 AM   #38
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Didn't I do that in the post you quoted?
Not in my opinion. You replied to me, not him.
Old 10th April 2019, 09:47 AM   #39
Belz...
Fiend God

Not in my opinion. You replied to me, not him.
I was agreeing with you. And it's a public forum, you know?

Old 10th April 2019, 09:54 AM   #40
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I was agreeing with you. And it's a public forum, you know?
Your reply wasn't in agreement with anything I'd said. I don't know what it being a public forum has to do with it.

All I'm saying is, if you have opinions about The Atheist's views, it's less confusing if you reply directly to him. You reply to me, it makes it seem like you have opinions about my views.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics