ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Mueller investigation , Robert Mueller , Trump controversies , William Barr

Old 11th April 2019, 09:54 AM   #1
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Peripheral third parties and the Mueller Report

Bill Barr announced that he will redact
"Information that could hurt the reputation and privacy of peripheral third parties."

and my first question is: who, according to Barr (because he is the one gets to decide) could possibly fall under the heading of "peripheral third parry" ?
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 09:55 AM   #2
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Fair warning - if anyone called "Trump" or "Kushner" is considered "peripheral" to the Report by Barr, the AG will have delivered the 2020 victory to the Dems.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 10:29 AM   #3
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Absolutely no one of consequence, just a string of covfefe boys from New York to Moscow.

I'm not kidding. Barr is going to selectively remove every potential cutout between Trump and Putin.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 10:33 AM   #4
AnonyMoose
Muse

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Bill Barr announced that he will redact
"Information that could hurt the reputation and privacy of peripheral third parties."

and my first question is: who, according to Barr (because he is the one gets to decide) could possibly fall under the heading of "peripheral third parry" ?

Isn't the answer obvious?

The people who fall under that heading, according to Barr, is anyone El Presidente tells him to fall under that heading.
Old 11th April 2019, 10:38 AM   #5
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I'm sure Trump wants him to redact everything 'Trump' as peripheral.
But I doubt Barr will be that brazen.
Old 11th April 2019, 10:43 AM   #6
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

"I doubt they'd really do that" followed by them really doing that has been the hallmark of the Trump administration. It's the Leopards Eating People's Faces Party in real life.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 10:58 AM   #7
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

'Who is this Vladimir P. that keeps being mentioned?'
'I think he was on The Apprentice.'
Old 11th April 2019, 05:29 PM   #8
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
'Who is this Vladimir P. that keeps being mentioned?'
'I think he was on The Apprentice.'
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 06:17 PM   #9
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

The kids have not been charged. No doubt in my mind that the main peripheral third parties are going to be anyone named Trump or Kushner, and his favorite little gal from Mar-a-Lago, Hope Hicks, and maybe Porter her boyfriend.

If the list is long enough it will undoubtedly include any reference to Trump Sr, like the whole letter for Don Jr about the adoption meeting.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 11th April 2019 at 06:18 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 06:24 PM   #10
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Technically, Barr should only remove the names of innocent individuals who somehow got caught up in the story. So, like, Baron Trump would definitely be peripheral. Michael Cohen's receptionist would be peripheral. We'll have to see what Barr actually does, though. I'm certainly not going to predict it.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 06:33 PM   #11
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
Technically, Barr should only remove the names of innocent individuals who somehow got caught up in the story. So, like, Baron Trump would definitely be peripheral. Michael Cohen's receptionist would be peripheral. We'll have to see what Barr actually does, though. I'm certainly not going to predict it.
There have been statements, (I can't remember by who or the exact words right now, will look them up if people are interested) to the effect that DOJ policy is not to make information public which may cast individuals in a negative light if they have decided not to pursue prosecution of those individuals.

My fear is that this policy would allow for redaction of details which are far from incidental.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2019, 12:20 AM   #12
Lurch
Muse

Redacting for public consumption is one thing. But Barr has, as far as I understand, indicated that even the limited Congressional Committee entrusted with secret information will only get a redacted report (if he has anything to say about it.)
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2019, 12:55 AM   #13
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I predict that Barr claiming there was no obstruction when Mueller said no such thing is an indicator Barr's going to be covering up for Trump.
Old 12th April 2019, 05:29 AM   #14
Loss Leader

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I predict that Barr claiming there was no obstruction when Mueller said no such thing is an indicator Barr's going to be covering up for Trump.

Except Barr didn't exactly say there was no obstruction. That's just the FOX spin. What he actually said was that the report did not contain enough information for a criminal indictment, but that it did not exonerate the President either. Barr's being very cagey, but he's not claiming Trump's hands are clean.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2019, 05:35 AM   #15
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Barr's being very cagey, but he's not claiming Trump's hands are clean.
'A huge pile of currency, in rubles, found with orange stains on it in a luxury suite in a Trump hotel. Puddles of urine in the bedroom, Diet Coke on the floor. Fingerprints present but oddly tiny. What can it mean? Who could possibly be responsible? Investigators baffled.'
Old 12th April 2019, 05:41 AM   #16
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Problem is: Barr's "not-not" exoneration of Trump gives him (in his mind and in the mind of Republicans) cover to declared Trump and anyone else not yet indicted a "Peripheral Third Party".
Old 12th April 2019, 06:31 AM   #17
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

Except Barr didn't exactly say there was no obstruction. That's just the FOX spin. What he actually said was that the report did not contain enough information for a criminal indictment, but that it did not exonerate the President either. Barr's being very cagey, but he's not claiming Trump's hands are clean.
Given Barr's legal theory of the sweeping, unadulterated power of the executive, his finding of no obstruction is pretty meaningless. Barr's view is that any use of executive power by the President is lawful, even if there are obvious corrupt intentions.

Even if one were to accept such a view, it is the legislature's constitutional role to decide what constitutes an impeachable offense. There is no go reason for the House to not receive an unredacted report immediately.
Old 12th April 2019, 07:27 AM   #18
Loss Leader

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Problem is: Barr's "not-not" exoneration of Trump gives him (in his mind and in the mind of Republicans) cover to declared Trump and anyone else not yet indicted a "Peripheral Third Party".

I doubt there's a way to redact the report in such a way as to obscure Trump's identity. We're going to have to just wait and see what he does.

L. Leader
Old 13th April 2019, 05:27 PM   #19
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Weasel words, IMO. How does it make it not a cover-up?
Old 13th April 2019, 05:37 PM   #20
Venom
Illuminator

You call it weasel words.

Some might call it good skepticism.
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2019, 06:55 PM   #21
Mumbles
Philosopher

This, exactly.

Under any ordinary DoJ, redacting info on people who ultimately did nothing illegal - or anyone under 18 years of age - would be done responsibly and without any controversy.

This DoJ, however, is run by the henchman of a career criminal president who is known for pathological lying. Barr's previous role in a similar position was to "clean up" the Iran Contra affair, and according to the WP and the NYT, summaries have already been written by Mueller and his team specifically so that redactions would be unnecessary. People are right not to trust this redaction, specifically, because of the people doing the redacting.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2019, 07:52 PM   #22
Loss Leader

I wouldn't argue that it is. Barr's statement definitely was weasley. Time will tell whether his tactics will work out for him.

L. Leader
Old 13th April 2019, 08:30 PM   #23
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

I hope that the Trump cult is elected out of office in 2020 and that the Democratic President has tenacity to press charges against these criminals. The historical precedent of pardoning/not charging criminal Presidents and their administrations needs to stop.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2019, 08:42 PM   #24
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
You call it weasel words.

Some might call it good skepticism.
OMG you can't be serious!
Old 13th April 2019, 08:44 PM   #25
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
I hope that the Trump cult is elected out of office in 2020 and that the Democratic President has tenacity to press charges against these criminals. The historical precedent of pardoning/not charging criminal Presidents and their administrations needs to stop.
Yeah, I understand why Obama made that decision in his case but it was very disappointing, lying the country into a war and all.
Old 13th April 2019, 08:47 PM   #26
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

I understand his reason, but do not agree with it. This "it will divide the country" nonsense is just nonsense.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics