ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 8th January 2017, 10:58 PM   #81
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MrFliop View Post
Ok let's just get this out of the way. In regards to the Video of second plane crash from across the river the claims made by truthers about it are: 1.) The FBI claimed al-Qaeda shot the tape. 2.) The FBI removed the audio from the tape to hide an eye-witness saying that it looked like a black military plane which was later discovered through a NIST FOIA video.
No, seriously: Why isn't 98% certain good enough for you?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2017, 12:36 AM   #82
skyeagle409
Master Poster

Ok let's just get this out of the way. In regards to the Video of second plane crash from across the river the claims made by truthers about it are: 1.) The FBI claimed al-Qaeda shot the tape. 2.) The FBI removed the audio from the tape to hide an eye-witness saying that it looked like a black military plane which was later discovered through a NIST FOIA video.

The aircraft that struck WTC 2 wasn't black and here's the proof.

United 175

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...A175debris.jpg

http://media.breitbart.com/media/201...0-913x1024.jpg
skyeagle409 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2017, 01:08 AM   #83
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.

Again this is a claim that I've heard while debating someone. Apparently there is a video of a Demolition Inc. truck parked right outside WTC 7's entrance with the towers burning in the background. I asked the person making this claim to show me the video and he refused. So I really believed that he was just making it up but when I heard different truthers making the claim I began to doubt that it was made up.
Re the highlighted part: thanks for the genuine LOL.
Quote:
The echo chamber effect that occurs online is due to a harmonious group of people amalgamating and developing tunnel vision. Participants in online communities may find their own opinions constantly echoed back to them, which reinforces their individual belief systems.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echo_chamber_(media)

Now, even assuming this was true, what did your intrepid, truth-seeking colleagues do about it? Have they investigated Demolition Inc? Have they contacted the police or the FBI with this undeniable proof of conspiracy?

One of the major differences between truthers and the rest of us is the unwillingness of the former to act on their beliefs. You can see from the detailed research posted in answer to your (many many) questions that those posting it have not simply sat back and thought "NIST? Good enough for me." They have done the maths, they have done experiments, they have looked beyond the silly, scary and superficial memes and myths regularly trotted out by the "truth movement" and made up their own minds based on their own work, and that of experts in the field.
Compare that with truthers, who rarely, if ever, make any attempt to contact witnesses, conduct experiments, or even come up with a coherent narrative explaining how their theories fit the known events of the day.
Then ask yourself who is most likely to be right.

If you are still in contact with these truthers, do please ask them if they followed up on the supposed sighting of the demolition van in any way. I think it will be an illuminating exercise.
Old 9th January 2017, 02:37 AM   #84
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

And do they offer any evidence to suggest these are anything but made up stories? The problem here is that truthers make up a lot of things, then ridicule anyone who doesn't believe them uncritically for being insufficiently critical-minded.

If (1) is true, then it would suggest that one other al-Qaeda operative was present in New York with a video camera, which would require a fairly minimal level of organization; at worst it doesn't contain the shadow of a suggestion of an inside job. If (2) is true, then it's a little more confusing, but at worst it suggests that one eye-witness was mistaken, and also suggests that the role of NIST (unless I've misunderstood your post) was to uncover, rather than cover up, hidden information, which tends to contradict the role truthers like to cast them in when discussing causes of building collapses.

But without evidence, it's just something someone made up.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2017, 06:46 AM   #85
Mark F
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
No, seriously: Why isn't 98% certain good enough for you?
That would seem well past any concerns of reasonable doubt.
Old 9th January 2017, 07:19 AM   #86
MileHighMadness
Muse

At this point, we are way pass a 100%...
Old 9th January 2017, 07:25 AM   #87
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

I will be 100% convinced that 9/11 was not an inside job(right now I am 98% convinced that it was not) if these few remaining questions are answered here

Why does NIST refuse to release their work for public review?
How was molten iron, molten molybdenum, and aluminum oxide produced in the rubble?
How come the steel at the WTC wasnt analyzed?
Why were there Iron Microspheres(indicating molten Iron floating through the air)discovered in the WTC dust?
If the red chips were normal paint why do they ignite at low temperatures?
Why were there flashes seen in WTC 7s collapse?
What about the swiss cheese found in WTC7?
Why was there a power down in the weekend before 9/11?
Why did NIST reject the pancake theory?
Why did Bush say there were explosives in the WTC?
If the squibs really are just air ejections why do they have the same color as gypsum and concrete?
Why was there no jolt in the upper sections of the towers collapses?
How did a passport susrvive the plane crash?
Why does thermal imagery show low temps in the towers?
Why are there not any broken windows or huge flames as is such where there are skyscraper infernos?
Why was there a Demolition truck parked next to WTC7?
How did Al Qaeda capture the video of the second plane from underneath the bridge then give it to the FBI with no questions asked?
And all the Wall Street documents destroyed in the 3 buildings?

And basically every claim made in this video
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Electrical power transformers catastrophic failures. See:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

For the same reason that two individuals that I know survived AK caliber headshots. **** happens, and not all of it is readily explainable.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2017, 07:41 AM   #88
jaydeehess
Penultimate Amazing

I personally like this one:
"Why does NIST refuse to release their work for public review?"

AE911T used to complain about this to no end. They whined that they needed to "verify" the input data and the results of the WTC7 report.
However, now that there are reports on WTC7 done by ARUP, WAI etc. for which those professional engineering organizations compiled their own data sets and ran their own FEA and fire sims, AE911T went silent on this subject.
OBVIOUSLY 'verification' that WTC7 would see a progression of failures through to global collapse once it experienced multiple floor failures low down in the structure did NOT require having NIST's data.

Each report also concludes that the multiple floor failures were brought about by heating of the structure.\

That is the very definition of "verification'.

Last edited by jaydeehess; 9th January 2017 at 07:44 AM.
jaydeehess is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2017, 09:01 AM   #89
MrFliop
Scholar

Well shortly after posting my last comment about the FBI Al Qaeda video I came across this interesting article.
Quote:
For a while the shot was attributed to terrorists due to a mistake (or deception) by the mainstream media and/or FBI. Just as the Iraq war was beginning, the video appeared on an "al-Qaida-linked site" as "may be never-before-broadcast video." Never mind that it had been seen in four documentaries prior to 2003! The fact that this piece of video is mistakenly identified by Associated Press (aparchive.com), coupled with the fact that the FBI in 2008 released the video on a DVD in response to a FOIA request, suggests deception. http://www.911conspiracy.tv/2nd_hit.html
MrFliop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2017, 09:10 AM   #90
Mark F
Graduate Poster

Well shortly after posting my last comment about the FBI Al Qaeda video I came across this interesting article.
Strangely I don't find it very interesting at all.
Old 9th January 2017, 03:36 PM   #91
Degeneve
Muse

Although Belgian I am currently living in Geneva. There must be plenty of Swiss cheese around.

Do you think I should move back to Belgium for safety reasons?
Degeneve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2017, 03:39 PM   #92
jaydeehess
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Degeneve View Post
Although Belgian I am currently living in Geneva. There must be plenty of Swiss cheese around.

Do you think I should move back to Belgium for safety reasons?
Given recent events (past few months) you may be safer in Switzerland.
jaydeehess is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2017, 08:39 PM   #93
JesseCuster
Muse

Again this is a claim that I've heard while debating someone. Apparently there is a video of a Demolition Inc. truck parked right outside WTC 7's entrance with the towers burning in the background. I asked the person making this claim to show me the video and he refused. So I really believed that he was just making it up but when I heard different truthers making the claim I began to doubt that it was made up.
You're 98% sure that 9/11 wasn't an inside job and this is the kind of thing you want answered that will push you toward being 100% sure?

A dubious claim you haven't seen any evidence for and which you only doubt because it has been repeated by a few people? A claim that has been pointed out doesn't even gel with the conspiracy theory being touted? This is actually the kind of thing that prevents you from being 100% sure the inside job theory is wrong?

On a side note, I'm always amused by these sort of conspiracy theory claims that are touted as evidence against the official theory but which don't make any sense in the context of any conspiracy theory.

A commercial demolition company was involved with the demolition of the WTC buildings, and were doing this murderous conspiratorial work in one of their commercial trucks with the company name and logo on it, and either left said commercial truck with company name and logo on site and in plain view of passers by after they had done their dastardly work, or were still working on site while the building was on fire and the main WTC towers had been struck by airplanes? Yup, makes sense to me.

Last edited by JesseCuster; 9th January 2017 at 08:44 PM.
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2017, 10:06 PM   #94
HotRodDeluxe
Muse

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
Especially when you can be sure the answers will be rejected anyway for spurious reasons. That is doubtless the plan. People are simply fed up answering the same questions over and over, so when no one responds on the 10000th time of asking the OP will declare victory.
Hear! Hear! Truthers are just not receptive to the scientific material available. No matter how many times their claims are addressed with quality material, it appears they aren't interested in it as it interferes with their anti-government agenda.
HotRodDeluxe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2017, 12:32 AM   #95
Chuck Guiteau
Graduate Poster

Here's a question for you:
All successful conspiracies follow two basic rules.
1. K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple, Stupid).
2. K.I.S.S. (Keep It Small, Sucker).

The 18 hijacker theory obeys these two rules. Do you have another one that does?
Chuck Guiteau is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2017, 06:44 PM   #96
Redwood
Graduate Poster

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydeehess View Post
I literally have Swiss cheese in my fridge, about 10 feet away from me as I post.

Should I be concerned.
Emmenthaler or Gruyere?
Redwood is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories