ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th December 2019, 12:50 PM   #641
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
With all the insurance schemes or what have you -social programs, free healthcare, etc- there are still poor people in the UK who can’t even afford electricity? Homelessness is one thing if that’s what you are talking about. But I put homelessness in a separate category -that is a catastrophic form of poverty brought on by mental illness, drug abuse, etc and has its own unique set of problems and potential solutions from what we are discussing here. I don’t think a UBI is going to help them much. Doesn’t the UK have a stipend for unemployed people already?
Yup.

This is four or five years old:

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...nment-policies

"The coroner said that when David Clapson died he had no food in his stomach. Clapson’s benefits had been stopped as a result of missing one meeting at the jobcentre. He was diabetic, and without the £71.70 a week from his jobseeker’s allowance he couldn’t afford to eat or put credit on his electricity card to keep the fridge where he kept his insulin working. Three weeks later Clapson died from diabetic ketoacidosis, caused by a severe lack of insulin. A pile of CVs was found next to his body."

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2019, 06:29 PM   #642
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Yup.

This is four or five years old:

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...nment-policies

"The coroner said that when David Clapson died he had no food in his stomach. Clapson’s benefits had been stopped as a result of missing one meeting at the jobcentre. He was diabetic, and without the £71.70 a week from his jobseeker’s allowance he couldn’t afford to eat or put credit on his electricity card to keep the fridge where he kept his insulin working. Three weeks later Clapson died from diabetic ketoacidosis, caused by a severe lack of insulin. A pile of CVs was found next to his body."
Tragic, and completely preventable.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2019, 07:12 PM   #643
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MinnesotaBrant View Post
And in the Philippines a useless ultrasound costs 300.
Really? I had an ultrasound here recently and I don't even remember what it cost.

Quote:
I am guessing that China might be a place that does not nickel and dime everyone causing everything to go up. Also saw crappy clothes being sold for a price there.
"There" being the Philippines? I think clothing here is extremely inexpensive compared to elsewhere, particularly if you shop on Taobao.

Quote:
Also many people have made the point that it’s not the same everywhere but fail to understand that you can’t immigrate if you poor
But that wasn't anyone's point. NT made the point that people in China are able save in spite of having a much lower income than people in the US, which suggests that people in the US should be able to save as well if they were to live a similar lifestyle to those in China. Kellyb countered by making the point that interpret as saying that the cost of living in China is much lower, so in spite of a lower income level it's actually easier to save here.

I don't actually think that's true, I think there are cultural differences, that I've seen in people who I know, that lead to the savings.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events