ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , Michael Bloomberg , presidential candidates

Old 14th February 2020, 08:47 AM   #201
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
Showing you guys want to be confrontation, and not add to the National Dialogue. You want to force your way. Hardly productive
You missed the first word of the post you quoted.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 08:53 AM   #202
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
Other than the primary he's running in, literally everything I've heard about Bloomberg this campaign makes him sound like a Republican. Am I missing something?
Abortion Rights - For. Voted to provide access to Plan B to girls over the age of 14. Supports embryonic stem cell research.

Workers Rights - Supports raising it to 15 an hour, supports paid family and sick leave.

Guns - Supports a ban on assault weapons, universal back ground checks, won't stop suing gun dealers.

Health Care - Supports the Affordable Care Act. Supports patent breaking on essential drugs.

Taxes - Supports extra taxes on the wealthy.

Environment - Once proposed an 8 dollar a car entry fee to enter New York to encourage the use of mass transit.

Misc: - Voted to limit portion size in restaurants. Goddamn obsessed with how big of a soda people can buy. Bragged about enjoying pot.

Yeah he's a goddamn neocon.

Again it's the Democratic Party and the Republican Party, not the Liberal Party and the Conservative Party and certainly not the Progressive Party and Conservative Party. We used to understand that Liberal/Conservative and Democratic/Republican where not the exact same categorizations, they just tended to work together that way a lot of the time.

There is some demarcation between politics and the Left/Right culture war. There's a huge, massive amount of overlap, but they are not the same thing.

He's a Democrat. He's just not Twitter and Tumblr Approved. There is a difference.

And this is separate from how I feel about him personally, so anyone who's already typing it out spare me the "Rich man bad, he's probably secretly Orange"

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 14th February 2020 at 08:55 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 08:57 AM   #203
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Other than the primary he's running in, literally everything I've heard about Bloomberg this campaign makes him sound like a Republican. Am I missing something?
Yes--he's not a Republican, he's one of the guys Republicans work for.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 09:06 AM   #204
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
You know who else is using a multi-pronged approach? Zip Recruiter. I'm serious, they are the best. I found my ideal candidate using Zip Recruiter in only a couple of days, whereas my last search with those other websites took months and we had to fire the guy eventually.
So he's using Trump's own tactics against him. Nice.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 09:23 AM   #205
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

Warren on resurfaced remarks from Bloomberg saying the end of "redlining" caused the 2008 financial crisis.

Warren: "That crisis would not have been averted if the banks had been able to be bigger racists, and anyone who thinks that should not be the leader of our party."

Speaking of party unity, tarring and feathering Bloomberg and running him out of this campaign could be an activity that everyone can get behind.
Old 14th February 2020, 09:54 AM   #206
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

Audio that a young non-white man took in NYC after getting frustrated with being stopped all the time by the cops.

Getting called a ******* mutt by the cops because you have the audacity to walk around your own neighborhood. Good times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rWt...ature=youtu.be

Bloomberg is a tyrant.

The idea that this kind of abuse gets washed away with a half-assed apology is absurd. Politicians must be held accountable for their failures, and this kind of abuse of power is among the most severe transgressions.

https://twitter.com/SeanPerryman3/st...88707690545152

Quote:
I want to speak less about Mayor Bloomberg and more about the program he misused and the people it impacted.

People often refer to #stopandfrisk as if it were simply a misguided police tactic. I believe they envision it as an unpleasant but brief encounter with the police.
Even the name “stop and frisk” sounds like it could be a children’s game like hide and seek. I want to dispel that.

I grew up in Brooklyn, NY. I was never stopped and frisked in my neighborhood but I’ve seen it done.
The times that I witnessed it, multiple police cars would pull up, grab as many Black men as they could, and slam them against the wall. They would shout “shut the **** up,” “get against the wall,” and other expletives. They would not ask questions.
They would search your pockets, push you around, and demean you the entire time. When they finished, they would threaten to be back and that they better not see you when they came back. This was said to actual residents of the neighborhood.
Imagine the affect that has on you in your own neighborhood knowing you can be stopped at any time for any reason by people empowered to use violence against you without repercussions. Imagine the terror and resentment that builds.
The interesting thing is I never witnessed them make an arrest because they never actually found anything. I believe that was because it wasn’t about finding anything. They knew these weren’t criminals. I would later discover that my anecdotal experiences would bear out in data.
Of the people stopped and frisked in NYC, 90 percent of them had nothing illegal on them and had committed no crime. Yet, the cops would come back and do this repeatedly.
A mayor, regardless of whether he was a billionaire, would never be viewed as a viable candidate for higher office if his legacy was setting a police force on young, innocent, White men to perform unconstitutional searches. But America forgives the abuse of Black children.
If you’re voting for Bloomberg because you think he’s the alternative to a tyrant, really consider what tyranny is. Because there are Black people in New York who have surely tasted it

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 14th February 2020 at 09:59 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 12:00 PM   #207
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Having the entirety of the US political system reduced down to two plutocrats trying to buy the presidency is 100% high-test radicalization fuel.
That would be an incorrect description.

Bloomberg would be trying to buy the presidency.

Trump doesn't have the money to buy anything, and would be trying to get others to pay for the presidency for him (while constantly skimming off the top).

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 12:09 PM   #208
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Socially he’s further right than most Democrats and leans authoritarian, but he isn’t necessarily pushing Republicans causes the way you would see with Republican authoritarianism, though he would fit in there on some issues. His economic polices line up closely with Democratic norms.

- He leans towards interventionist, even compared to many Democrats.
He’s open to government regulation where required (some would say even I places where it isn’t required).

- He is open to government-supplied service where there are issues with the private sector supply them and there is a positive return on investment
- He’s supportive of taxation sufficient to pay for these services.
- He's doesn't suggest that you can cut taxes will not cause the deficit to explode the way Republicans do.
- He supports removing taxing capital gains at the same rate as income.
- His tax proposal is more progressive (IOW increase the share paid by the wealthy)
- He even supports reversing some of the Trump reduction in corporate taxes, though if I'm not mistaken the rates he proposes are below where they were in 2016.
Old 14th February 2020, 12:09 PM   #209
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Seems that Bloomberg is getting under Trump's skin already. The Twitter war has begun....

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/trump-...ts-on-twitter/
To be honest, I actually got a lot of enjoyment out of Bloomberg's response.

For a tweet, it seemed to be pretty well thought out, and hit some points pretty well.... Trump's business failures, the fact that he is a joke to many people.

Yes, it was a personal attack, even labeling Trump a 'carnival barking clown', but unlike Trump's nicknames, he was able to put that in in a way that didn't sound childish.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 12:25 PM   #210
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Yes, it was a personal attack, even labeling Trump a 'carnival barking clown', but unlike Trump's nicknames, he was able to put that in in a way that didn't sound childish.
I was perplexed by that construction. There are carnival clowns, and barking dogs, and sometimes carnivals and circuses have performing dogs. But I have never heard of a "carnival barking clown." Maybe another way Trump is unique.

ETA: As I think about it, "barking" also means hawking or selling. I guess we could see Trump as a clown outside a carnival tent shouting "Get your tickets here for the big show!" Then people go inside and find out it's empty.

Last edited by Bob001; 14th February 2020 at 12:28 PM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 12:30 PM   #211
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

(Picture of Trump, Bill Clinton, Guilliani and Bloomberg on the golf course)

How to understand American politics in one photo.
Not sure if the photo says as much as you might think...

First of all, people's politics can change. Trump used to be a member of the Democratic party. Guiliani may have always been a republican, but a decade or 2 ago he had some positions that could be seen as moderate. And Bloomberg himself has changed parties/positions in the past.

Secondly, even if 2 political figures have opposing views it should not be seen as a problem should they be seen together in a social setting. After all, Boehner and Obama played golf together, even though they were often at odds, and I doubt it was some secret plot. Such social outings can be seen as a way to foster compromise in a system where partisanship can be a problem.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 14th February 2020, 12:34 PM   #212
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
I was perplexed by that construction. There are carnival clowns, and barking dogs, and sometimes carnivals and circuses have performing dogs. But I have never heard of a "carnival barking clown." Maybe another way Trump is unique.

ETA: As I think about it, "barking" also means hawking or selling. I guess we could see Trump as a clown outside a carnival tent shouting "Get your tickets here for the big show!" Then people go inside and find out it's empty.
Maybe he was so infuriated by Trump's insults that he just stitched together the first insult that came to mind, before hitting Send.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 12:38 PM   #213
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post

Carnival barker is a thing.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 12:45 PM   #214
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
So he's using Trump's own tactics against him. Nice.
Nah, Trump would never build a team to carefully craft a social media image for him, then stand back and let them do their job. Trump would just spout off on his own and if someone ever convinced him to get experts to help he’d ignore or bypass them on a whim.
Old 14th February 2020, 04:28 PM   #215
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Maybe he was so infuriated by Trump's insults that he just stitched together the first insult that came to mind, before hitting Send.
I doubt it since Bloomberg fired the first shot, tweeting in response to Barr saying that Trump's tweeting make his job impossible, that Trump's tweeting make Trump's job impossible too. That set Trump off and the wild eyed personal attack about Bloomberg's height. Bloomberg's reply was pretty well thought out really.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 04:35 PM   #216
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
Nah, Trump would never build a team to carefully craft a social media image for him, then stand back and let them do their job. Trump would just spout off on his own and if someone ever convinced him to get experts to help he’d ignore or bypass them on a whim.
Well he does know more about Social Media than anyone else, especially the experts. His Tweets are perfect and contain all the best words, like Covfefe, Waite, smocking and Emergy.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:02 AM   #217
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Not sure if the photo says as much as you might think...

First of all, people's politics can change. Trump used to be a member of the Democratic party. Guiliani may have always been a republican, but a decade or 2 ago he had some positions that could be seen as moderate. And Bloomberg himself has changed parties/positions in the past.

Secondly, even if 2 political figures have opposing views it should not be seen as a problem should they be seen together in a social setting. After all, Boehner and Obama played golf together, even though they were often at odds, and I doubt it was some secret plot. Such social outings can be seen as a way to foster compromise in a system where partisanship can be a problem.
Interesting side note, 4/4 in the pic on Epstein's lolita express flight logs.
Old Yesterday, 06:59 AM   #218
Mumbles
Philosopher

Audio that a young non-white man took in NYC after getting frustrated with being stopped all the time by the cops.

Getting called a ******* mutt by the cops because you have the audacity to walk around your own neighborhood. Good times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rWt...ature=youtu.be

Bloomberg is a tyrant.

The idea that this kind of abuse gets washed away with a half-assed apology is absurd. Politicians must be held accountable for their failures, and this kind of abuse of power is among the most severe transgressions.

https://twitter.com/SeanPerryman3/st...88707690545152
This has been my experience as well - and many friends. It’ a gross violation of one’s rights, it can be violent, it’s deeply humiliating. And if you object, you could end up arrested for “resisting arrest”. And it leads to people hating the cops, which means they may turn to violence to settle disputes. And many good cops, who joined the force to help others out and protect their communities, know this, but they’re pressured into it.

Last edited by Mumbles; Yesterday at 07:00 AM.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:15 AM   #219
webfusion
Philosopher

Jerusalem POST offers a view from Israel regarding "Get 'r Done" Mike.
https://www.jpost.com/American-Polit...oomberg-617556

"Bloomberg is the candidate of balance..."
webfusion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:43 PM   #220
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Sanders is right that a Bloomberg is trying to buy the Presidency - but he might be wrong that a majority of voters would like object to that.
As long as he doesn't buy-off Special Interests like the Unions of Old or Church Leaders, but instead puts the money into a ground campaign, I think voters will not hold it against him that he is spending is money, money he didn't inherit.
Old Today, 09:45 PM   #221
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Sanders is right that a Bloomberg is trying to buy the Presidency - but he might be wrong that a majority of voters would like object to that.
As long as he doesn't buy-off Special Interests like the Unions of Old or Church Leaders, but instead puts the money into a ground campaign, I think voters will not hold it against him that he is spending is money, money he didn't inherit.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics