ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags benjamin netanyahu , Coronavirus , Israel politics

Old 20th March 2020, 04:12 PM   #1
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

RIP Democracy in Israel.

Bibi has used the Corona Virus to basically disband the Knesset and seize power.
We now have a Jewish Hitler.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2020, 05:35 PM   #2
carlvs
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Bibi has used the Corona Virus to basically disband the Knesset and seize power.
"Hitler" may be a bit much, but it does seem that Israeli democracy is in serious danger ...
carlvs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2020, 05:54 PM   #3
trustbutverify
Philosopher

No, we do not have a "Jewish Hitler". We do not have anything remotely resembling a Jewish Hitler in Israel.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2020, 06:39 PM   #4
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

self stundie thread

nice
Old 20th March 2020, 06:43 PM   #5
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
No, we do not have a "Jewish Hitler". We do not have anything remotely resembling a Jewish Hitler in Israel.
More like a Jewish Franco.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2020, 07:00 PM   #6
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
More like a Jewish Franco.
More like a Jewish Berlusconi. Only about 50 IQ points higher.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2020, 07:14 PM   #7
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Jewish Hitler?

Way to kill any serious discussion of the situation in Israel.
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2020, 07:44 PM   #8
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Robin View Post
Jewish Hitler?

Way to kill any serious discussion of the situation in Israel.
Godwinned on the second line of the OP!

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2020, 11:37 AM   #9
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I messed up with the Hitler statement.
I should have compared him with Franco or a garden variety Banana Republic Dictator.
But that he is using the virus as an excuse to grab total power Is undinaible.
Now the opposition leader is announcing the Knesset will meet on Monday. Intersting times.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2020, 12:28 PM   #10
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

I should have compared him with Franco or a garden variety Banana Republic Dictator.
Nice that you've backed off some of the rhetoric. Could you cite some articles to support that this

Now the opposition leader is announcing the Knesset will meet on Monday. Intersting times.
According to the link carlvs provided, this is when it was already going to meet anyway. What supports the "disbanding" claim in your OP? What actually happened looks a like a week delay of a vote Yuli Edelstein expects to lose*. Bad, but not a disbanding.

ETA: * "lose" in the case could mean he is removed as speaker.

Second ETA: Clarify what you mean by "disband". To a US/English speaking audience it's likely to conjure up images of Palpatine dissolving the Senate. In Israel it can just mean a new round of elections are called for.

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 21st March 2020 at 12:32 PM.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2020, 12:47 PM   #11
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Sometimes I wonder if posts like the OP are more uncivil than any of the direct insults.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2020, 12:54 PM   #12
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Sometimes I wonder if posts like the OP are more uncivil than any of the direct insults.

I don't have to wonder for myself. I find them much more uncivil than direct insults.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2020, 03:21 PM   #13
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Jewish Erdogan?
Old 21st March 2020, 04:30 PM   #14
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

There are people in the US looking fondly on how strong man in China is handling this, and I don't mean Trump.

Just keep your eyes open. Historical democracies fall when they issue the leader emergency powers he doesn't give up.

"TRUMP SHOULD CURFEW THE ENTIRE NATION!", shouteth...left leaders???? wtf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?

Last edited by Beerina; 21st March 2020 at 04:35 PM.
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2020, 08:21 PM   #15
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Nah, don't worry about another emergency power.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:14 AM   #16
GrandMasterFox
Master Poster

Sorry, a bit late to the party here.

As for the op, no.
Netanyahu isn't seeking absolute power, in fact he did stop some (not all) attempts to to allow government to run too wild.

The left and right leaders are almost done signing a joint government. Things are looking at a better direction, in thus manner at least

Also the whole comparison of Bibi to Franco let alone Hitler is absurd. Bibi himself was the protector of the supreme court for years. Seriously don't jump into dumb conclusions based on clickbait articles.

He doesn't care about absolute power.

What he cares about is just his saving his own behind from jail and yes he will do almost anything to do it. It's not by chance that he shut down courts first to postpone his trial.

He is a scumbag, but he isn't a genocidal maniac.
GrandMasterFox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:52 AM   #17
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Originally Posted by GrandMasterFox View Post
Sorry, a bit late to the party here.

As for the op, no.
Netanyahu isn't seeking absolute power, in fact he did stop some (not all) attempts to to allow government to run too wild.

The left and right leaders are almost done signing a joint government. Things are looking at a better direction, in thus manner at least

Also the whole comparison of Bibi to Franco let alone Hitler is absurd. Bibi himself was the protector of the supreme court for years. Seriously don't jump into dumb conclusions based on clickbait articles.

He doesn't care about absolute power.

What he cares about is just his saving his own behind from jail and yes he will do almost anything to do it. It's not by chance that he shut down courts first to postpone his trial.

He is a scumbag, but he isn't a genocidal maniac.
I believe post-WWII international security efforts centered on a number of areas and were designed to stop future Hitlers. One main, central understanding was that international borders should never be changed by force. This was, and is, the clearest indicator that totalitarian policy is in play, and therefore those implementing it may be highly prone to increasing its scope of application and virulence of methods used.

Israel pursues a clear and unambiguous policy of occupation by force, of displacing civilian populations by force, and of enforcing such changes by more force (Golan Heights, West Bank), followed by real or attempted annexation. This is so ever since the Israeli right murdered the nation's president and made room for, gosh, Bibi. Sudetenland, much? (Crimea, much?*)

Israel has also recently used further warmongering (e.g., opposition to Iranian nuclear deal, including a grotesque exercise of allying itself with American fascists against that nation's elected leader during Bibi's insulting visit to a Republican congress). This certifies its favoring fact-free and slanderous propaganda over diligent and proper governance. Goebbels, much?

The arguments driving these policies are also unenlightened, based in their ultimate analysis on the very same grounds -- OMG, epic forehead slap -- as Islamic fundamentalism. So, religious, as opposed to political, absolutism.

"Wonderful improvement."

* Accepted by and acceptable to Trumpublicans, who applaud the muscled Putin (kissing his shirtless photos nightly before bed), responding, as did Trump, by publicly kneeling to unzip and service Vlad, their Great White Hope.
Not that evangelicals would know who their real mother is, of course.
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:08 AM   #18
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
I believe post-WWII international security efforts centered on a number of areas and were designed to stop future Hitlers. One main, central understanding was that international borders should never be changed by force. This was, and is, the clearest indicator that totalitarian policy is in play, and therefore those implementing it may be highly prone to increasing its scope of application and virulence of methods used.

Israel pursues a clear and unambiguous policy of occupation by force, of displacing civilian populations by force, and of enforcing such changes by more force (Golan Heights, West Bank), followed by real or attempted annexation. This is so ever since the Israeli right murdered the nation's president and made room for, gosh, Bibi. Sudetenland, much? (Crimea, much?*)

Israel has also recently used further warmongering (e.g., opposition to Iranian nuclear deal, including a grotesque exercise of allying itself with American fascists against that nation's elected leader during Bibi's insulting visit to a Republican congress). This certifies its favoring fact-free and slanderous propaganda over diligent and proper governance. Goebbels, much?

The arguments driving these policies are also unenlightened, based in their ultimate analysis on the very same grounds -- OMG, epic forehead slap -- as Islamic fundamentalism. So, religious, as opposed to political, absolutism.

"Wonderful improvement."

* Accepted by and acceptable to Trumpublicans, who applaud the muscled Putin (kissing his shirtless photos nightly before bed), responding, as did Trump, by publicly kneeling to unzip and service Vlad, their Great White Hope.
What he said...
Old Today, 12:32 PM   #19
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by GrandMasterFox View Post

Also the whole comparison of Bibi to Franco let alone Hitler is absurd.
Yet this is an Israel thread, and reaching godwins seem to be mandatory here.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"I cannot say is is suffering from a pathological narcissistic personality disorder, but I think it is clear he is doing a perfect impersonation of someone who is." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics