ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Australia elections , Australia politics , Julie Bishop , Malcolm Turnbull , Peter Dutton , Scott Morrison

Old 14th February 2020, 01:28 AM   #2161
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
What does that prove? That he's NOT a "politician first"?
It suggests many of his followers are religious. You will find far fewer such comments on Labor party pages.
Old 14th February 2020, 01:30 AM   #2162
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

What makes you so certain his religion has no impact on his politics? It seems to impact on all other aspects of his life.

We are in politics, not science so I can ask you conjecture upon (not prove) a negative.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 01:39 AM   #2163
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
What makes you so certain his religion has no impact on his politics?
I don't know about "no" impact but he is clearly a hypocrite. His actions as a conservative politician are totally consistent with those of other conservative politicians - religious or not.
Old 14th February 2020, 02:53 AM   #2164
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
And we're pretty happy about that - some of the deportees have lived in Australia since weeks after birth.
I can't get over the irony of Australia transporting criminals to another country.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 12:13 PM   #2165
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
I can't get over the irony of Australia transporting criminals to another country.
A few comedians have worked it into their acts, but that's about as far as it gets.

I have no problem with deporting criminals who arrived in Australia as even teenagers, but deporting people who have lived there since before they could walk or talk is asinine, to say the least.

First off, there's a pretty strong argument that growing up in Aussie (often while being brown) turned them into petty criminals, who then learned to become hardened criminals inside Australia's justice system.

Then there's the fact that their spouses, children & parents are often resident in Australia, thereby adding to their time-served punishment. (Not that all of them have been time-served, either. Some deportees have been deported on suspicion rather than evidence.)
Old 14th February 2020, 12:38 PM   #2166
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

A few comedians have worked it into their acts, but that's about as far as it gets.

I have no problem with deporting criminals who arrived in Australia as even teenagers, but deporting people who have lived there since before they could walk or talk is asinine, to say the least.

First off, there's a pretty strong argument that growing up in Aussie (often while being brown) turned them into petty criminals, who then learned to become hardened criminals inside Australia's justice system.

Then there's the fact that their spouses, children & parents are often resident in Australia, thereby adding to their time-served punishment. (Not that all of them have been time-served, either. Some deportees have been deported on suspicion rather than evidence.)
I just wonder how soon before other countries deport people born in Australia back to Australia.
Old 14th February 2020, 01:40 PM   #2167
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
If you look on his facebook page many of the comments on what he has written have religious references.
It suggests many of his followers are religious. You will find far fewer such comments on Labor party pages.
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
What makes you so certain his religion has no impact on his politics? It seems to impact on all other aspects of his life.

We are in politics, not science so I can ask you conjecture upon (not prove) a negative.

Why is psion so convinced that Morrison is motivated by anything but religious belief? ......... Beats me.

Last edited by Thor 2; 14th February 2020 at 01:41 PM.
Thor 2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 01:43 PM   #2168
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
Why is psion so convinced that Morrison is motivated by anything but religious belief? ......... Beats me.
You missed my response to lionking. I guess it would have ruined your narrative if you had included it.
Old 15th February 2020, 09:22 PM   #2169
Thor 2
Philosopher

You missed my response to lionking. I guess it would have ruined your narrative if you had included it.

Oh you mean the following:

Quote:
I don't know about "no" impact but he is clearly a hypocrite. His actions as a conservative politician are totally consistent with those of other conservative politicians - religious or not.

Really can't see how this impacts on on what I said. Put it down to my limited ability to comprehend what you are trying to say I suppose. My fault entirely of course. I, and those others here who who have this inability crave enlightenment from your good self.
Old 15th February 2020, 10:05 PM   #2170
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Really can't see how this impacts on on what I said. Put it down to my limited ability to comprehend what you are trying to say I suppose. My fault entirely of course. I, and those others here who who have this inability crave enlightenment from your good self.
It shows that contrary to what you claim, I haven't argued that "Morrison is motivated by anything but religious belief" and that is why omitted it from your list.

I put it down to your inability to have an honest discussion. Pretending that you don't understand somebody so that you can label their argument as nonsense is the oldest trick in the book and I am not falling for it.
Old 16th February 2020, 08:46 PM   #2171
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Name a nonreligious conservative politician.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2020, 09:07 PM   #2172
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Name a nonreligious conservative politician.
Why don't you just publicize the results of your Vulcan mind melds with all of the conservative politicians instead?
Old 16th February 2020, 09:08 PM   #2173
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Der Fuhrer will be pleased: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-51526607
Old 16th February 2020, 09:11 PM   #2174
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Why don't you just publicize the results of your Vulcan mind melds with all of the conservative politicians instead?
The only person claiming that I know how any politician thinks is you. I have repeatedly - over and over - stated that I don't know whether Morrison believes in prosperity gospel, but I wouldn't be surprised if he did. You're the one suggesting that I know.

Anyway, my point is that conservative politicians are religious. There's no such thing as a nonreligious conservative politician. Conservative values are religious values. Prove me wrong.

- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2020, 09:22 PM   #2175
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Anyway, my point is that conservative politicians are religious. There's no such thing as a nonreligious conservative politician. Conservative values are religious values. Prove me wrong.
i don't have to provide any evidence to counter something that you have clearly made up on the spot.

I could just as easily challenge you to disprove that all non-conservative politicians are Communists.
Old 16th February 2020, 09:24 PM   #2176
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

i don't have to provide any evidence to counter something that you have clearly made up on the spot.

I could just as easily challenge you to disprove that all non-conservative politicians are Communists.
All you have to do is provide the name of one conservative politician who is openly nonreligious. Can you do that?

I suggest that you can't. Because there are no nonreligious conservative politicians. Conservative values are religious values.

- Randall Munroe
Old 16th February 2020, 09:30 PM   #2177
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

All you have to do is provide the name of one conservative politician who is openly nonreligious. Can you do that?

I suggest that you can't. Because there are no nonreligious conservative politicians. Conservative values are religious values.
I refuse to get sucked into your time wasting maneuver. Your claim, your burden.
Old 16th February 2020, 09:48 PM   #2178
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I refuse to get sucked into your time wasting maneuver. Your claim, your burden.
You're the one saying that Morrison's actions are comparable to both religious and nonreligious conservatives. Until you can provide some examples of nonreligious conservatives, that comparison has no value.

- Randall Munroe
Old 16th February 2020, 09:52 PM   #2179
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

I love that you started all this.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2020, 10:30 PM   #2180
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

You're the one saying that Morrison's actions are comparable to both religious and nonreligious conservatives. Until you can provide some examples of nonreligious conservatives, that comparison has no value.
Your lucdicrous claim that ALL conservative politicians are religious is not only an obviously made up "fact" but it gives lie to your claim that Scumo's religion is especially note worthy.
Old 16th February 2020, 10:31 PM   #2181
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Welcome to the thread. It seems that you have some catching up to do.
Old 16th February 2020, 10:51 PM   #2182
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Your lucdicrous claim that ALL conservative politicians are religious is not only an obviously made up "fact" but it gives lie to your claim that Scumo's religion is especially note worthy.
As I have patiently explained, with plenty of supporting external evidence, Pentecostalism isn't the same as Catholicism or Anglicanism, which are the religions of most politicians, conservative or otherwise. It's the specific beliefs of the Pentecostal church in particular that makes his religion particularly noteworthy.

And yes, I have not checked the religious status of every conservative politician to see if there are any nonreligious ones. I think that if there were one, I would already know about it. So I'm making a bold suggestion here. If you know differently, I would love for you to refute my claim. I would love for anyone to refute my claim. I'm throwing this open. Can anyone name a nonreligious conservative politician? Anyone? It doesn't even have to be an Australian politician.

Conservative values are religious values. Prove me wrong if you can.

- Randall Munroe
Old 16th February 2020, 11:05 PM   #2183
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

As I have patiently explained, with plenty of supporting external evidence, Pentecostalism isn't the same as Catholicism or Anglicanism, which are the religions of most politicians, conservative or otherwise. It's the specific beliefs of the Pentecostal church in particular that makes his religion particularly noteworthy.
So why make up the fact that all conservative politicians are religious if it bears no relation to "Scumo's Pentecostalism makes all the difference in the world but is is only a possible factor"?
Old 16th February 2020, 11:08 PM   #2184
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Can anyone name a nonreligious conservative politician? Anyone? It doesn't even have to be an Australian politician.
Boris Johnson

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...Christian.html
Old 16th February 2020, 11:59 PM   #2185
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

I haven’t but don’t let me interrupt.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2020, 12:59 AM   #2186
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

The why did you state something that is so blatantly false?
Old 17th February 2020, 06:04 AM   #2187
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

That is an odd question.
Old 17th February 2020, 08:07 AM   #2188
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

That is an odd question.
I wouldn't have thought you were so dishonest.

You know that this stupid religious nonsense was started by others before the ScuMo thread was even started.
Old 17th February 2020, 01:29 PM   #2189
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

I wouldn't have thought you were so dishonest.

You know that this stupid religious nonsense was started by others before the ScuMo thread was even started.
You must love it or you wouldn’t have started it all up again like you did.
Old 17th February 2020, 01:33 PM   #2190
Thor 2
Philosopher

Huh? Darned if I can see what it is that you have stated is so blatantly false, but there again perhaps it is the imperfect perception and comprehension I, (perhaps Sideroxylon also) am afflicted with.
Old 17th February 2020, 01:47 PM   #2191
Thor 2
Philosopher

And yes, I have not checked the religious status of every conservative politician to see if there are any nonreligious ones. I think that if there were one, I would already know about it. So I'm making a bold suggestion here. If you know differently, I would love for you to refute my claim. I would love for anyone to refute my claim. I'm throwing this open. Can anyone name a nonreligious conservative politician? Anyone? It doesn't even have to be an Australian politician.

Conservative values are religious values. Prove me wrong if you can.

I tend to agree with you here, but as many politicians do not broadcast their religious beliefs, it is hard to nail down. I think if Soot Morrison was a politician in the USA, we would be hearing lots of religiously inspired gems of wisdom. As Australians don't go for this kind of crap Soot has restrained himself. His readiness to allow himself to be photographed in religious ritual is notable however.
Old 17th February 2020, 01:55 PM   #2192
Thor 2
Philosopher

Paywall damn it.

I did glimpse however, what seemed to be just a downplaying of his religious observance, rather than denial of religious belief. Boris I think, superimposes himself in the god spot possibly, so Christianity is hard pressed to get much of a look in.
Old 17th February 2020, 04:38 PM   #2193
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Paywalled, or rather infested with a popup insisting that I sign up for a trial (ie, a spam harvester) before reading, but thanks. From what I was able to read, he seems to me more like a non-practising Christian rather than actually nonreligious.

ETA: snap.

- Randall Munroe

Last edited by arthwollipot; 17th February 2020 at 04:39 PM.
Old 17th February 2020, 05:07 PM   #2194
Thor 2
Philosopher

Peter Dutton caught lying yet again:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-...arged/11971454

The lengths these conservative climate change denying wankers will go too is extraordinary.
Old 17th February 2020, 08:57 PM   #2195
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

From what I was able to read, he seems to me more like a non-practising Christian rather than actually nonreligious.
Pretty fine line - he doesn't go to church, takes no heed of religion or the bible and doesn't follow any doctrine. He's basically an agnostic, although being a Tory, I doubt he'd admit to that.

After all, Queenie is still:

A - his boss
B - head of the CoE
Old 17th February 2020, 10:21 PM   #2196
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Peter Dutton caught lying yet again:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-...arged/11971454

The lengths these conservative climate change denying wankers will go too is extraordinary.
He is right. It was arson. God was the arsonist. It says lightening started the fires. And God controls lightning.
Old 17th February 2020, 10:53 PM   #2197
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

He is right. It was arson. God was the arsonist. It says lightening started the fires. And God controls lightning.
Pfft. Everyone knows that Zeus controls lightning.

- Randall Munroe
Old 18th February 2020, 12:30 AM   #2198
Dabop
Muse

It doesn't quite have the same ring as 'this thread has been Bobbed' to say 'this thread has been Psioned' although the end result is identical...

'When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.' George Carlin
Dabop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2020, 02:47 PM   #2199
Thor 2
Philosopher

Pfft. Everyone knows that Zeus controls lightning.

Pfft yourself. My old man Thor 1 would disagree with this.
Old 21st February 2020, 03:38 PM   #2200
EHocking
Philosopher

Pfft. so typical of bleevers. "mine is the one tru god, blahdy, blahdy blah"

http://godfinder.org/index.html?q=lightning

Typically misogynistic too.
https://www.theoi.com/Titan/Astrape.html
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald

Last edited by EHocking; 21st February 2020 at 03:39 PM.
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics