ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 30th December 2019, 04:02 PM   #121
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
A friend of mine was standing on his roof, in Kambah, putting out spot fires, when that tornado turned up.

He saved his home, but was utterly terrified, and felt that he only just left the roof in time. The heat was so intense it killed most of his bonsai trees, some of which were incredibly old, but his home was missed by the tornado.

To this day, I remain in awe of his bravery.
I would guess that if he then what he knows now he wouldn't have been that brave.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2019, 04:05 PM   #122
a_unique_person

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
That's a sign of how desperate the koalas are. It's not a nice thing to happen. It means they are on the edge of survival.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2019, 04:06 PM   #123
a_unique_person

A ten ton fire truck was lifted off the ground by a fire tornado, killing one and injuring two.
Old 30th December 2019, 04:30 PM   #124
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

What on earth?

https://twitter.com/callapilla/statu...38201162780672

Quote:
8.40am
In Mallacoota, locals told to get under the water Don Ashby just spoke to ABC Gippsland. CFA told the people in the town - about 4000 of them standing on the foreshore - that when the trucks activated their sirens, the townsfolk should get under the water.

https://twitter.com/davidbewart/stat...66700057587712

Last edited by Rolfe; 30th December 2019 at 04:31 PM.
Rolfe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2019, 04:41 PM   #125
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
What on earth?
Yeah, I've seen that on the news before.
(People sheltering in the ocean during a bushfire).

If you're stuck on the coast (surrounded by fires) getting into the water is your last hope of survival.

Being in the water stops you from being burned by the radiant heat I suppose.

Old 30th December 2019, 04:44 PM   #126
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

I've just done a quick bit of reading, and it is not a recommended practice to shelter in rivers and dams, because the surrounding air quality is so poor.

(Now I'm wondering if people are killed by fires consuming the available oxygen too.)
Old 30th December 2019, 04:50 PM   #127
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

The ABC live website is showing pictures of the main street of Cobargo on fire.

(Near Bega, NSW)

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-...-blog/11833630
Old 30th December 2019, 04:51 PM   #128
Steve
Philosopher

I've just done a quick bit of reading, and it is not a recommended practice to shelter in rivers and dams, because the surrounding air quality is so poor.

(Now I'm wondering if people are killed by fires consuming the available oxygen too.)
If the fire is on both sides of a fairly narrow waterway there could be a real problem. Also a body of water that becomes deep quickly where you cannot get far from the fire.

Ocean may be different with fire only on one side, a beach, and perhaps the ability to wade a fair distance into the water.
Old 30th December 2019, 05:03 PM   #129
carrps
Thinker

Yeah, I've seen that on the news before.
(People sheltering in the ocean during a bushfire).

If you're stuck on the coast (surrounded by fires) getting into the water is your last hope of survival.

Being in the water stops you from being burned by the radiant heat I suppose.

I saw a documentary about the Berkeley Hills (California) fire. One woman was too late to evacuate, and a firefighter got her and himself into her pool with the plastic tarp over them. When they got out of the pool, everything around them was burned to the ground. You do what you gotta do in a situation like that.
carrps is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2019, 05:05 PM   #130
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Yes.

It's also possible to rescue/evacuate people from the water via boats and helicopters.

Such a nightmare.
Old 1st January 2020, 04:18 AM   #131
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

The smoke in Canberra last night and this morning were very bad. Worst it has ever been.

News https://www.theguardian.com/environm...bushfires-rage.

Quote:
Air quality index readings in Canberra city were at 3,463 on Wednesday afternoon, according to the ACT Health website. Ratings of more than 200 are considered hazardous. The suburb of Monash showed levels at 4,650 and Florey was at 3,508.
Old 1st January 2020, 05:33 AM   #132
a_unique_person

https://twitter.com/i/videos/tweet/1...yndication_gue
On the beach.

Last edited by a_unique_person; 1st January 2020 at 05:34 AM.
Old 1st January 2020, 05:36 AM   #133
a_unique_person

Heavy smoke from Australian fires.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...lian-bushfires

In New Zealand.
Old 1st January 2020, 06:38 AM   #134
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Why oh why did 'up to 30,000' people, including many tourists, refuse to evacuate when warned they should last Sunday? Whilst this might not be the time and place, should not all those needing rescuing by the military be made to contribute to costs, as a result of their obstreporous behaviour putting themselves and others at risk?

Already a few volunteer firefighters have died bringing the known mortality roll to eighteen.

Quote:
The fire service warned they had been unable to reach some people in remote areas.

"We've got reports of injuries and burn injuries to members of the public," said New South Wales rural fire commissioner Shane Fitzsimmons.

"We haven't been able to get access via roads or via aircraft - it's been socked in [runways have been closed] or too dangerous."
What is it about people they do not take expert opinion seriously? We see this in hurricane warnings. There are always a few hundred dolts who refuse to evacuate.
Old 1st January 2020, 06:45 AM   #135
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Far out man

Just heard on the news up to 30% of Koalas in NSW may have died due to the fires.
Oh no, not sweet ickle lickle koala bears...
Old 1st January 2020, 04:05 PM   #136
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Yeah, sweet ickle lickle koalas (not bears) that were potentially facing extinction in the state of NSW within 20 odd years and now potentially pushed to the brink of extinction as more that 30% of the population may have just been wiped out.

I don't understand why anyone would sneer at people being concerned for the vast numbers of wildlife that are being killed by these bushfires.

I guess we can rest easier now that there may be 100s of species that were never discovered that we now won't miss.
Ickle Lickle or not....
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2020, 05:30 PM   #137
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Heavy smoke from Australian fires.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...lian-bushfires

In New Zealand.
Yup, we're getting orange sunlight here, in the middle of the day, it's kind of surreal. I can't imagine what it is like for people in NSW.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2020, 05:36 PM   #138
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Yup, we're getting orange sunlight here, in the middle of the day, it's kind of surreal. I can't imagine what it is like for people in NSW.
It was like sticking your head into the fumes coming out of a backyard incinerator. Permanently.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2020, 06:30 PM   #139
a_unique_person

Renowned climate scientist Michael Mann has been on a sabbatical here.

Australia, your country is burning – dangerous climate change is here with you now

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...y_to_clipboard
Old 2nd January 2020, 01:44 AM   #140
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Apologies for my obvious dimness, but do you mind expanding on the point of this post?
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2020, 06:27 AM   #141
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Apologies for my obvious dimness, but do you mind expanding on the point of this post?
They're such cute little animals. What would you like me to expand on? (Yes, I know they are marsupials.)
Old 2nd January 2020, 06:43 AM   #142
LibraryLady
Emeritus

They're such cute little animals. What would you like me to expand on? (Yes, I know they are marsupials.)
I'm curious to know why you made the comment in baby talk, which seems to ridicule the concern.
Old 2nd January 2020, 06:47 AM   #143
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
I'm curious to know why you made the comment in baby talk, which seems to ridicule the concern.
What? I think you are imagining things.
Old 2nd January 2020, 06:47 AM   #144
LibraryLady
Emeritus

What? I think you are imagining things.
So the intent was not to ridicule. Thank you.
Old 2nd January 2020, 06:48 AM   #145
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

So the intent was not to ridicule. Thank you.
Hello? I am a great animal lover.
Old 2nd January 2020, 06:49 AM   #146
LibraryLady
Emeritus

Hello? I am a great animal lover.
I'm glad to hear it.
Old 2nd January 2020, 06:52 AM   #147
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

I'm glad to hear it.
Why would you ascribe horrible motives to people at all?
Old 2nd January 2020, 06:54 AM   #148
LibraryLady
Emeritus

Why would you ascribe horrible motives to people at all?
I didn't. I asked why you used baby talk which appeared, not just to me, to be sarcastic. You did not intend it sarcastically, so there is no problem.
Old 2nd January 2020, 07:02 AM   #149
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

I didn't. I asked why you used baby talk which appeared, not just to me, to be sarcastic. You did not intend it sarcastically, so there is no problem.

What do you mean by this? Why would you think talking about fluffy wuffy koala bears is a sign of mal-intent? Why would you speak on behalf of someone who deliberately tried to twist my words?
Old 2nd January 2020, 07:05 AM   #150
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
Yeah, sweet ickle lickle koalas (not bears) that were potentially facing extinction in the state of NSW within 20 odd years and now potentially pushed to the brink of extinction as more that 30% of the population may have just been wiped out.

I don't understand why anyone would sneer at people being concerned for the vast numbers of wildlife that are being killed by these bushfires.

I guess we can rest easier now that there may be 100s of species that were never discovered that we now won't miss.
Ickle Lickle or not....
All in your mind. Or perhaps you can point out where anybody did what you claimed.
Old 2nd January 2020, 08:01 AM   #151
LibraryLady
Emeritus

All in your mind. Or perhaps you can point out where anybody did what you claimed.
No. I don't think this needs to be prolonged. It's not relevant to the thread, which is partly my fault, you corrected me, I accepted your correction.
Old 2nd January 2020, 08:10 AM   #152
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

No. I don't think this needs to be prolonged. It's not relevant to the thread, which is partly my fault, you corrected me, I accepted your correction.
OK. I was quite peeved.
Old 2nd January 2020, 01:49 PM   #153
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

OK. I was quite peeved.
I think the koalas are slightly more peeved but feel free to obviously take the **** on a serious thread.

Back on topic

Aerial footage of just one of them

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Morrison sounds a bit of a goner. Not sure what he was supposed to do tbf.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2020, 02:40 PM   #154
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Morrison sounds a bit of a goner. Not sure what he was supposed to do tbf.
Maybe not show tone-deaf disregard and go on vacation when the country is in peril, when so many people are suffering, when everyone who can is volunteering to help, including ignoring their own vacations?

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2020, 03:10 PM   #155
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Maybe not show tone-deaf disregard and go on vacation when the country is in peril, when so many people are suffering, when everyone who can is volunteering to help, including ignoring their own vacations?
Take inspiration from John Howard. During his first term he did gun control. Morrison could do climate change. Who would oppose him?
Old 2nd January 2020, 03:23 PM   #156
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Take inspiration from John Howard. During his first term he did gun control. Morrison could do climate change. Who would oppose him?
The entire Liberal Coalition ?
Old 2nd January 2020, 03:52 PM   #157
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

I don't know if we can take much more of this.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2020, 03:53 PM   #158
a_unique_person

The entire Liberal Coalition ?
No. There is a significant number of people in the coalition who want climate change dealt with effectively. They have never had the numbers against the deniers, though.
Old 2nd January 2020, 03:55 PM   #159
a_unique_person

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I don't know if we can take much more of this.
I'm in Melbourne currently and dread the thought of going back to current hell hole that is Canberra. Over 40C but I can't put the air-conditioning on.
Old 2nd January 2020, 04:00 PM   #160
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

BBC: Australia fires: Angry residents berate PM Morrison in blaze-ravaged town
Quote:
Mr Morrison was approached as he visited Cobargo, near the coast in southern NSW.

"How come we only had four trucks to defend our town? Because our town doesn't have a lot of money but we have hearts of gold, prime minister," one woman called out.

Others joined in as Mr Morrison turned away, calling him "an idiot" and saying he was not welcome.

"You won't be getting any votes down here, buddy. No Liberal [party] votes - you're out, son," heckled one man.

"What about the people who are dead, prime minister? What about the people who have nowhere to live?" the woman asked Mr Morrison as he was ushered away. ...
...in his limo apparently.

More tone-deafness:
Quote:
NSW's premier has declared a week-long state of emergency in response to the escalating bushfire threat.
A week-long? seriously?

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events